PDA

View Full Version : alkalinized water

tribal
03-21-2009, 07:01 PM
where do you find this? is it not what comes out of your sink or whats in a poland spring bottle?

Jer
03-21-2009, 07:11 PM
It can come out of your sink, but you'd need to buy an Ionzier to hook up to your sink first.

They aren't too cheap.

tribal
03-21-2009, 07:17 PM
It can come out of your sink, but you'd need to buy an Ionzier to hook up to your sink first.

They aren't too cheap.
the benefit is? bodybuilding causes you to be very acidic, an i guess this
neutralizes you? does this mean poland spring is acidic?

Frosty
03-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Any good mineral water is HIGHLY alkalanizing. Gerolsteiner is a German one that is excellent in this respect.

WILDMAN
03-22-2009, 07:41 AM
where do you find this? is it not what comes out of your sink or whats in a poland spring bottle?

They sell it bottled in Whole Foods, you can add drops to make water alkaline, or you could buy a machine to convert it. On average bottled water has a ph of 6-7. Alkaline water has a ph of 9.5. Extremely beneficial to muscle, bones, and organs.

tribal
03-22-2009, 02:15 PM
They sell it bottled in Whole Foods, you can add drops to make water alkaline, or you could buy a machine to convert it. On average bottled water has a ph of 6-7. Alkaline water has a ph of 9.5. Extremely beneficial to muscle, bones, and organs.
do you have names for any of these?

WILDMAN
03-23-2009, 07:03 AM
do you have names for any of these?

My favorite is pHion pH booster www.pH-ion.com.These are the drops, I ususaly mix 5gallons at time, in a water cooler. At the gym I drink Evopure, and angelfire bottled water. Keep in mind many diseases start when a particular part of the body is in an acidic state.

Frosty
03-23-2009, 11:43 AM
My favorite is pHion pH booster www.pH-ion.com.These (http://www.pH-ion.com.These) are the drops, I ususaly mix 5gallons at time, in a water cooler. At the gym I drink Evopure, and angelfire bottled water. Keep in mind many diseases start when a particular part of the body is in an acidic state.

I have to question the reputability of that product. Where are the ingredients? They're talking about oxygenation of water like it does anything. So if I drink club soda I'll suffocate from all the CO2 in it?

I've seen some products that were just alkaline mineral drops and they list ingredients.

SpeciesMMA
03-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Eat more alkaline foods...grapefruit is a great one, and even though you might think of Citris Fruits as agoing acid in our bodies, they go quite the opposite..

Here is more:

ALKALIZING VEGETABLES
Alfalfa
Barley Grass
Beet Greens
Beets
Broccoli
Cabbage
Carrot
Cauliflower
Celery
Chard Greens
Chlorella
Collard Greens
Cucumber
Dandelions
Dulce
Edible Flowers
Eggplant
Fermented Veggies
Garlic
Green Beans
Green Peas
Kale
Kohlrabi
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Mustard Greens
Nightshade Veggies
Onions
Parsnips (high glycemic)
Peas
Peppers
Pumpkin
Radishes
Rutabaga
Sea Veggies
Spinach, green
Spirulina
Sprouts
Sweet Potatoes
Tomatoes
Watercress
Wheat Grass
Wild Greens

ALKALIZING ORIENTAL VEGETABLES
Daikon
Dandelion Root
Kombu
Maitake
Nori
Reishi
Shitake
Umeboshi
Wakame

ALKALIZING FRUITS
Apple
Apricot
Avocado
Banana (high glycemic)
Berries
Blackberries
Cantaloupe
Cherries, sour
Coconut, fresh
Currants
Dates, dried
Figs, dried
Grapes
Grapefruit
Honeydew Melon
Lemon
Lime
Muskmelons
Nectarine
Orange
Peach
Pear
Pineapple
Raisins
Raspberries
Rhubarb
Strawberries
Tangerine
Tomato
Tropical Fruits
Umeboshi Plums
Watermelon

ALKALIZING PROTEIN
Almonds
Chestnuts
Millet
Tempeh (fermented)
Tofu (fermented)
Whey Protein Powder

ALKALIZING SWEETENERS
Stevia

ALKALIZING SPICES & SEASONINGS
Chili Pepper
Cinnamon
Curry
Ginger
Herbs (all)
Miso
Mustard
Sea Salt
Tamari

ALKALIZING OTHER
Alkaline Antioxidant Water
Apple Cider Vinegar
Bee Pollen
Fresh Fruit Juice
Green Juices
Lecithin Granules
Mineral Water
Molasses, blackstrap
Probiotic Cultures
Soured Dairy Products
Veggie Juices

ALKALIZING MINERALS
Calcium: pH 12
Cesium: pH 14
Magnesium: pH 9
Potassium: pH 14
Sodium: pH 14

Although it might seem that citrus fruits would have an acidifying effect on the body, the citric acid they contain actually has an alkalinizing effect in the system.

Note that a food's acid or alkaline forming tendency in the body has nothing to do with the actual pH of the food itself. For example, lemons are very acidic, however the end products they produce after digestion and assimilation are very alkaline so, lemons are alkaline forming in the body. Likewise, meat will test alkaline before digestion, but it leaves very acidic residue in the body so, like nearly all animal products, meat is very acid forming.

WILDMAN
03-24-2009, 08:12 AM
I have to question the reputability of that product. Where are the ingredients? They're talking about oxygenation of water like it does anything. So if I drink club soda I'll suffocate from all the CO2 in it?

I've seen some products that were just alkaline mineral drops and they list ingredients.

The oxygenated,reverse osmosis,is garbage and does nothing,distillation will actually dehydrate you. Alkaline water can not be questioned. It is very simple you take water that has a ph of say 6, add the drops and it will become alkaline. While 9.5 is ideal you can it take much higher than that if desired.You could add vinegar and it will become 5 or lower. This is tested with buffered test strips. Any liquid can be tested if it is alkaline, or acidic piss,pool water,aquariums,saliva etc...this is very basic science. Club soda is very alkaline.

Frosty
03-24-2009, 10:41 AM
I was wondering what's actually in their drops that I'd be putting in my body. You can test with pH strips but that still doesn't say what it is. I mean vinegar is really acidic but it has an alkaline effect in the body.

WILDMAN
03-25-2009, 06:14 AM
I was wondering what's actually in their drops that I'd be putting in my body. You can test with pH strips but that still doesn't say what it is. I mean vinegar is really acidic but it has an alkaline effect in the body.

There are two solutions that has to be mixed. Alkalizing solution is elemental potassium (potassium hydroxide). Structuring solution Ionic chloride,Ionic Magnesium, Ionic Sodium.

Suzy Brown
03-25-2009, 12:22 PM
I got the O7 product from here

http://aerobiclife.com/

Not sure if this is the same idea or not... but you put the drops in your water and according to the site, when it hits an acidic environment, it creates oxygen, which helps to create more white blood cells which fight disease, damage, inflammation, etc.

I made a bottle for hub to drink over night (he always has a bottle by the bed) and for the first time in forever, he woke up and said he feels GOOD. He usually takes forever to wake up and always complains he feels shitty for at least an hour or so...

I'm having a bottle now. The water feels "slicker" and I feel a coolness in my throat/ chest that's unfamiliar.

gman
03-25-2009, 02:18 PM
why not just put a pinch of baking soda in each glass of water. Cheap and doctor recommended (by my antiaging doc)

Suzy Brown
03-25-2009, 05:21 PM
why not just put a pinch of baking soda in each glass of water. Cheap and doctor recommended (by my antiaging doc)
That's the main ingredient in ALKA Seltzer...

TUFF
03-25-2009, 11:06 PM
i just started the cutting keto diet.
what is all the hype about alkalizing water?
what's the point? what's it do? and how do you know you need some?

thanks

Frosty
03-26-2009, 12:15 AM
i just started the cutting keto diet.
what is all the hype about alkalizing water?
what's the point? what's it do? and how do you know you need some?

thanks

Generally speaking, you don't NEED it. The body can maintain homeostasis of pH very well even with a highly acidic diet. If not you'd DIE. There were plenty of traditional cultures that ate highly acidifying diets, like the native Swiss who ate lots of oats and breads, aged cheeses, some meats, and sparse greens. They were known for longevity as well.

Now that we have the "need" part out of the way, I want to say that having a more balanced diet is a good thing since it just makes things easier on the body. Alkaline water can be good old mineral water you buy at any decent store....Gerolsteiner is one example that is highly alkaline.

However you don't need to use water. You can take nutritional steps to help. 2 whey shakes a day replacing 2 meat meals will help. Using plenty of salt to taste also alkalanizes. Creatine is alkaline, so is beta alanine and glutamine (if you're already taking the latter two. I wouldn't add just for this purpose). Eating dark greens like spinach, chard, etc is highly alkalanizing, as is greens powders like Juice+ that Dave recommends.

Overall this is just making a diet healthier, which is always better in the long run even for bodybuilding goals. Mineral water and alkaline mineral drops to normal water is just an easy way to help with this whole thing.

WILDMAN
03-26-2009, 12:52 AM
That's the main ingredient in ALKA Seltzer...

To much will give diarrhea, Even with out diarrhea you will get dehydrated in time.

Frosty
03-26-2009, 12:55 AM
To much will give diarrhea, In the long term you will get dehydrated.

I'd be concerned with taking this any time around a meal since it would reduce stomach acid and your ability to digest food, especially protein.

Suzy Brown
03-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Not sure about Gman but I only do alka seltzer if I have a hangover, which is very rare.

The O7 product I posted also reccomneds taking the water on an empty stomach. I think that the digestive acids (HCl??) will negate the effects? (not sure) Frosty???

Frosty
03-26-2009, 03:38 PM
I don't like stuff that can reduce stomach acid and protein digestion. Veggies, vinegar, lemon juice, whey protein, creatine, salt....stuff like that helps a ton and won't reduce digestion. Hell the vinegar and lemon juice improve it.

"Empty stomach" is a tough thing to achieve for us bodybuilders.

gman
03-26-2009, 03:54 PM
just chew a couple of rolaids

Frosty
03-26-2009, 04:00 PM
just chew a couple of rolaids

I highly, highly recommend against the use of antacids like this. A great deal of people already don't produce enough stomach acid, and this just makes it worse. Poor digestion ends up causing a lot of other problems down the road.

Suzy Brown
03-26-2009, 04:00 PM
"Empty stomach" is a tough thing to achieve for us bodybuilders.

You said a mouthful! I have been trying to drink it all first thing in the am, or over night...

SilverBAK
04-07-2009, 12:22 AM
i currently take nexium to control the acidity in my stomach. without it my acid reflux is unbearable. I am going to go see a gastroenterologist, because i am not a fan of relying on rx meds. im going to try some adding more cinnamon to my diet, i eat plenty of greens, ill consider mineral water ($$), and maybe alka seltzer? Also i plan on taking some apple cider vinegar throughout the day. Any suggestions or other guys/girls with this problem?

Frosty
04-07-2009, 12:25 AM
i currently take nexium to control the acidity in my stomach. without it my acid reflux is unbearable. I am going to go see a gastroenterologist, because i am not a fan of relying on rx meds. im going to try some adding more cinnamon to my diet, i eat plenty of greens, ill consider mineral water ($$), and maybe alka seltzer? Also i plan on taking some apple cider vinegar throughout the day. Any suggestions or other guys/girls with this problem?

I've helped a number of people with this sort of problem by taking betaine HCl to increase stomach acid. The problem is usually low stomach acid, not high.

SilverBAK
04-07-2009, 12:48 AM
I've helped a number of people with this sort of problem by taking betaine HCl to increase stomach acid. The problem is usually low stomach acid, not high.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give. I really want to fix this problem. I want to have a gastro look down my throat with a scope to see if any damage was done (im sure some minor damage has been done) and they have that new thing where a stent with a chemical surface is inflated and when it touches the lining of the asophagus it burns away the damaged tissue to prevent against future cancer proliferation.

Isnt there a test with baking soda to determine if its in fact caused by high or low stomach acid?

what do you suggest i do. (probably stop the nexium until acidity returns to normal state and then conduct tests/attempt natural treatment)?

thanks man

Frosty
04-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Well if you have any ulcers I wouldn't recommend this. If not, here's what I do with people.

Buy betain HCl caps. They're usually like 600mg each or so. With your protein meals other than shakes, start eating, and after the first few bites take 1 capsule and finish the meal. Note any changes. If you feel fine, then you're low on stomach acid. Next meal try 2 the same way, note results, and so on. Just don't go higher than 6 capsules. You stop when you get burning, discomfort, or any other bad signs after the meal, and go back to the previous dose that you felt fine with.

Eventually what happens is people's stomach acid starts to return to normal and they start to have to back off on the amount they use, and most people end up coming off it entirely. This is when you're back to normal.

If you're taking any vitamin/mineral supplements I highly recommend you take it right with your betain HCl capsules since stomach acid deficiency can be caused or worsened by mineral deficiency.

Using salt to taste also helps since the chloride portion of salt helps with making stomach acid. In other words, don't restrict salt, and if you're low carbing it, you typically need more salt than with a higher carb diet.

SilverBAK
04-07-2009, 03:36 PM
No ulcers

I will try this method and get back to you on it. Ill send you a PM. i REALLY appreciate the help bro.

I add sea salt to my foods, and eat about 400c per day off season, fewer when dieting. so The salt isnt an issue.

Ill be in touch soon man, thanks again!

Well if you have any ulcers I wouldn't recommend this. If not, here's what I do with people.

Buy betain HCl caps. They're usually like 600mg each or so. With your protein meals other than shakes, start eating, and after the first few bites take 1 capsule and finish the meal. Note any changes. If you feel fine, then you're low on stomach acid. Next meal try 2 the same way, note results, and so on. Just don't go higher than 6 capsules. You stop when you get burning, discomfort, or any other bad signs after the meal, and go back to the previous dose that you felt fine with.

Eventually what happens is people's stomach acid starts to return to normal and they start to have to back off on the amount they use, and most people end up coming off it entirely. This is when you're back to normal.

If you're taking any vitamin/mineral supplements I highly recommend you take it right with your betain HCl capsules since stomach acid deficiency can be caused or worsened by mineral deficiency.

Using salt to taste also helps since the chloride portion of salt helps with making stomach acid. In other words, don't restrict salt, and if you're low carbing it, you typically need more salt than with a higher carb diet.

Manavs
04-07-2009, 04:27 PM
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/RM031/ItemDetail?SourceCode=INTL078&CAWELAID=129499183