PDA

View Full Version : KyMuscle's Trudge Toward A Comeback

KyMuscle
11-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Hello! Long-time lurker here. I’ve followed many of your threads, especially those leading up to and following the 2010 Masters Nationals.

This seems like a friendly place, so I thought I’d step out of the shadows and introduce myself.

I’m Steve, 53 years old. Been at this bodybuilding thing since I was a scrawny (76-pound) 13-year-old. I went to a rough junior high school, and basically took up the weights to survive. Bought my first muscle magazine in 1971, I believe. It was a Muscular Development with Larry Scott’s arm on the cover.

The golden age bodybuilders are my heroes, and I’ve managed to meet most of them. My favorites were/are Zane and Mentzer, both of whom I was fortunate to meet in their prime.

I run my own independent personal training business, do some contest prep work, and am an NPC judge in Kentucky.

I’m 5’6”, currently 195 pounds, around 15% bf (abs juuuuust barely visible, in favorable lighting LOL) . That makes me around Kevin Couch’s size, but my physique is like a newbie’s compared to his. Amazing physique, Kevin! I was disappointed for you that you couldn’t make the Nationals.

I’m an ectomorph, but not naturally lean. I have to bust my hump for every pound of muscle I gain, and for every pound of fat I lose. The keto diet is my best friend.

I never imagined myself a trophy-winning bodybuilder, but I’ve done OK since I started competing in 1995. I’ve won a few open class titles and masters titles on the local and state level. My last show was the 2006 NPC Kentucky, where I won the open Welterweights and the Masters Lightweight at age 48.

Like many of you, I’m plagued by injuries. Most of my joints are sore and inflamed. I have a tender left knee, and small tears in my left rotator cuff (infraspinatus and supraspinatus) plus left biceps tendinopathy. The medial head of my left triceps is completely gone, following a gym accident in 2004.

After 4 years battling injuries, personal issues (a divorce) and a general lack of focus bodybuildingwise, I want to make another go at the stage. My goal: Win the 50+ division and earn top 3 in Open Welterweights at the 2011 NPC Natural Northern USA,, in Cleveland the first Saturday in October. If that goes well, I plan to enter the 2012 Masters Nationals as a 50+ Welter or Middle.

Training: For the last 10 weeks I’ve been doing Charles Staley’s Escalating Density Training, which is kind of a modern take on Vince Gironda’s fast-paced routines. It was a fun departure from traditional bodybuilding sessions, and it got me back into a regular, focused training routine.

This week I’m officially starting my run toward the Natural Northern with a return to old-school workouts. 4 days a week. Two upper, two lower. Upper #1 has a chest/back emphasis, with some arms and shoulders. Upper #2 has a shoulders/arms emphasis with some chest/back. Lower #1 is anchored by the squat with a quad emphasis, while Lower #2 features deadlifts with a hamstring emphasis.

The focus is on moderate volume (6-10 work sets per body part on emphasis days, 2-4 on secondary days). I’ll follow an 8-10 week mesocycle with gradually ascending weights and descending reps, 20-8 for lower body and 12-6 on upper body. Then take a week off and resume, this time with slightly higher starting weights.

I’ll post my workouts occasionally, but probably not my poundages. I’m embarrassingly weak for a guy who’s been lifting weights for 40 years, with bests including a 270x5 incline press, 330 x 8 full squat, and 405 x 6 deadlift. I’m nowhere near those levels now. Some of you guys amaze me with your strength.

I know I’m gonna be asked for pictures, so I’m including a few below:

axioma
11-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Welcome, great look. classic lines that make you look MUCH taller, photographs make you look 6 foot.

Best of luck and glad you decided to post a thread.

wolfie
11-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Glad you posted also! I'm originally from Northeastern Ky. but reside in Fl. now. I'm glad you got through your rough times and are getting back into competition. Best of luck w/your goals! I believe you will get that look back and do well in your shows next year!

GerryT
11-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Look terrific, and would be competitive in over 50 masters. Good luck nd best wishes.

Mac
11-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Welcome Steve...

You look great in your photos and thankfully will be moving up to the welters leaving the door a bit open for me in the lightweights.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Welcome. Great intro BTW. We don't always see that and have to apply the RX slow extration method.

Baldie

joedemarco
11-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Welcome Steve...look forward to following your training.

freebirdmac
11-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Glad to see you! Another person I can learn from :)

Rick Prince
11-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Welcome aboard Steve. You have great lines. Looking at your photos, I would have thought you were about 5-11 and 210-220 lbs. My brother lives in Bowling Green (KY). There is a lot of knowledge and experience to draw from across the posters of this forum. Based on your opening post here, you will significantly strengthen this forum with your knowledge.

Hammerfit
11-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Welcome to the nut house Steve

KyMuscle
11-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

OK, here's how I set up my training:

MONDAY
30 degree Incline Barbell Press 3x 6-10
Reverse-Grip Pulldowns 3 x 6-10
30 degree Incline Cable Flye 2 x 12-15
Dumbbell Rows 3 x 10-12
Hammer machine Lateral Raise 3 x 10-12
Barbell Curls 2 x 10-12
Decline Skullcrushers 2 x 10-12

TUESDAY
Full Squats 3 x 12-20
Leg Press 3 x 12-20
Leg Curl 3 x 6-8
Standing Calf Raise 5x5

THURSDAY
High Incline Barbell Press 3 x 10-12
Seated Cable Row 3 x 10-12
One-Arm Lat Pulldowns 3 x 10-12
One-Arm Cable Lateral Raise 3 x 12-15
Preacher Curls 3x 6-10
E-Z Bar Close Grip Bench Press 3 x 6-10
One-Arm Cable Curls 3 x 10-12
One-Arm Dumbbell Extensions 3 x 10-12

FRIDAY
Deadlifts 3 x 6-10
Front Squats 3 x 8-10
Split Squats 3 x 12-15
Leg Curl 3 x 12-15
Standing Calf 3 x 12-15

That's what I did last week. Feels good to be doing bodybuilding-type training again. As I acclimate, and as long as my poundages keep rising, I'll probably add a bit more volume as well as intensity techniques such as rest-pause, drop sets, etc.

I'm open to any comments, critiques or suggestions.

KevinCouch
11-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Welcome Steve!! Thanks for your kind words too! You've got great symmetry and a classical shape....We are about the same size. We'll just keep training hard and see where it takes us...
Welcome aboard!
Kevin

BTW, Awesome double back bicep pose!!!! Crazy..

KyMuscle
11-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Double feasts on Thanksgiving resulted in a killer lower-body session on Friday.

Weights/reps going up every workout.

On the road back... just gotta keep injury-free.

KevinCouch
11-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Double feasts on Thanksgiving resulted in a killer lower-body session on Friday.

Weights/reps going up every workout.

On the road back... just gotta keep injury-free.

Keep it going KY...at our age the most important thing is to train smart and not get injured. Doesn't mean you can't train your ass off. But you know your previous injured areas and what your joints can take and what they can't. I train as heavy as I can but there are some exercises I cannot do. I'm ok with that. We just do what we can and keep gettin better with age!!
Kevin

mrky03
11-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Steve, Its me Joel! Good to see you posting here! I've been thinking of posting my training here as well. Looks like you're on a roll! Keep us updated!

GerryT
12-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Kentucky has some super representation here. Hope you guys keep posting.

KyMuscle
12-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks, Gerry. Kentucky has always been underrated as a bodybuilding mini-mecca. We've had a few awesome bodybuilders come out of the state:

1957 AAU Mr. America Ron Lacy hailed from Lexington. Nice man -- I worked out with him a few times when I attended the University of Kentucky.

You all remember Ken Waller and Bob Birdsong - both from Louisville.

Some of you might remember Carl Smith, a top-ten Mr. America competitor in the early to mid 70s. He lived in Louisville then.

Porter Cottrell, of course. I know him quite well and we trained at the same gym. I watched him progress from skinny 17-year-old wannabe to 5th place Mr. Olympia.

Mike Liberatore trained at my gym during the 4 years or so he lived in Louisville. He earned his pro card while training here.

Tricky Jackson -- see him almost every day in the gym. Competed with him several times. The man sure has put on some muscle since winning his pro card. Super-nice guy too.

KyMuscle
12-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Got a bit of knee pain during Tuesday's leg workout. Left me a bit ticked off and didn't feel like posting. Did manage to work up to a 215 x 20 full squat and a couple of sets of leg presses at 410 x20, but didn't feel comfortable doing anything heavier.

Today's upper body session -- shoulder/arm emphasis -- went much better. Up in poundage in everything. Left the gym with a great pump and "high."

Tomorrow is deadlifts/front squats...

joedemarco
12-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Got a bit of knee pain during Tuesday's leg workout. Left me a bit ticked off and didn't feel like posting. Did manage to work up to a 215 x 20 full squat and a couple of sets of leg presses at 410 x20, but didn't feel comfortable doing anything heavier.

Today's upper body session -- shoulder/arm emphasis -- went much better. Up in poundage in everything. Left the gym with a great pump and "high."

How's the knee doing today? Is it feeling better? Make sure you ice it down if it is still sore.

KevinCouch
12-03-2010, 07:58 PM

KY, Take care of those knees I have the same problems right now. Just do exercises that won't aggrevate the knee too bad and stay away from the ones that will until it heals. I've been doing a lot of unilateral leg work doesn't seem to be as bad on my knees....
Hope it starts to feel better.
Kevin

mrky03
12-04-2010, 09:02 AM
I know what you mean, seems like its always something! I've battled though so many aches and pains over the years, it's frustrating when all you want to do is get in the gym and train hard!

mrky03
12-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks, Gerry. Kentucky has always been underrated as a bodybuilding mini-mecca. We've had a few awesome bodybuilders come out of the state:

1957 AAU Mr. America Ron Lacy hailed from Lexington. Nice man -- I worked out with him a few times when I attended the University of Kentucky.

You all remember Ken Waller and Bob Birdsong - both from Louisville.

Some of you might remember Carl Smith, a top-ten Mr. America competitor in the early to mid 70s. He lived in Louisville then.

Porter Cottrell, of course. I know him quite well and we trained at the same gym. I watched him progress from skinny 17-year-old wannabe to 5th place Mr. Olympia.

Mike Liberatore trained at my gym during the 4 years or so he lived in Louisville. He earned his pro card while training here.

Tricky Jackson -- see him almost every day in the gym. Competed with him several times. The man sure has put on some muscle since winning his pro card. Super-nice guy too.

I met Mr. Lacy and was priviliged to workout in the same gym with him
back in the early 80's. Carl Smith is a friend of mine I've lost track of him in recent years, think he lives in Fla. now. He is a riot to be around, many good times!

KyMuscle
12-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Inspired by Mac (the other Steve) and a couple of other members here who have mentioned the 10x10 squat routine, I decided to to that today.

Yikes!

I'm not only just resuming serious bodybuilding training, I'm used to lower volume/higher intensity. 100 reps for an exercise is a lot more than normal for me.

I did:
100x10
135x10
155x10
175x10
190x10
200x10
200x10
170x10
170x10
170x10

(No snickering at the weights; I know I'm weak, but that 200 felt challenging after all the reps that preceded it. I'm also being VERY protective of my left knee.)

These were done below parallel, with a three-second descent and a distinct pause at the bottom.

The pump was massive. I've been home for 45 minutes, just finished my post-workout meal, and can tell I'm gonna be in for a world of hurt tomorrow.

KevinCouch
12-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Inspired by Mac (the other Steve) and a couple of other members here who have mentioned the 10x10 squat routine, I decided to to that today.

Yikes!

I'm not only just resuming serious bodybuilding training, I'm used to lower volume/higher intensity. 100 reps for an exercise is a lot more than normal for me.

I did:
100x10
135x10
155x10
175x10
190x10
200x10
200x10
170x10
170x10
170x10

(No snickering at the weights; I know I'm weak, but that 200 felt challenging after all the reps that preceded it. I'm also being VERY protective of my left knee.)

These were done below parallel, with a three-second descent and a distinct pause at the bottom.

The pump was massive. I've been home for 45 minutes, just finished my post-workout meal, and can tell I'm gonna be in for a world of hurt tomorrow.

Great Work on Your Quads Steve!!! Keep it Going brother.
Kevin

Hammerfit
12-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Great Work on Your Quads Steve!!! Keep it Going brother.
Kevin

Great Job on the leg bashing. IMHO, to build detailed larger legs you dont necessarily HAVE to use monstrous weight, but you do need to be as intense as humanly possible, just make sure there's nothing left when you leave.

KevinCouch
12-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Great Job on the leg bashing. IMHO, to build detailed larger legs you dont necessarily HAVE to use monstrous weight, but you do need to be as intense as humanly possible, just make sure there's nothing left when you leave.

Agree 100%!!

joedemarco
12-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Nothing more fun then the 10 X 10 squat workout! Great job!!!

axioma
12-09-2010, 08:59 AM
good job. I love picking the max weight for 10 (after a warmup) and go 10 x 10. After awhile you really can't tell the difference between 135 and 200! You are trashed!

Scoobysnacks
12-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Hey Steve, thats great you are making a comeback. Ill pop in from time to time. Good Luck on the journey.

KyMuscle
01-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Haven't posted for awhile, but I'm still training. Had a couple of weeks of distractions -- an issue with my son that is pretty much resolved -- plus aches and pains. Jeez, after the 10 x 10 squat workout I posted, my lower back was knotted up for a week. I didn't want to come on here and whine.

Have done 3 more 10x10 squat sessions since and I'm happy to say my poundages are rising, quads are getting sore, and the lower back feels pretty good.

Weighing in at 203, the heaviest I've been since I started my last 'cut' in 2006. It's not a pretty weight, but both my girlfriend and sister have commented on the size I've added in the last 6 weeks.

Still have another 16 weeks or so of gaining before beginning prep.

Judging by some of the recent posts in other threads in this section, I'm not the only one struggling to work through pain and injuries. Glad to see everyone is carrying on.

mrky03
01-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Steve, good to hear you're doing well! It seems aches and pains are part of life huh? lol

We're going to make the best of it and make 2011 a productive year!

KyMuscle
01-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks, Joel.

Although I don't wish pain and injury on anyone, it helps to know others are facing similar challenges and plowing through them.

On my way to the gym now for my first upper body session of 2011.

KyMuscle
01-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Just had one of those workouts where you feel like a bull. I'm still on a post-workout high.

Don't know if it was all the holiday food, plus the extra sleep and rest this weekend, but as soon as I completed my warmup sets on the incline bench, I KNEW I was gonna be stronger than what I had planned for. On a bulk, I tend to periodize my training and I know exactly what exercises, weights, sets and reps I'm gong to do that day. Today I added even more weight than I planned, and still got 3 x8.

That set the tone for entire session. Weights were up in every exercise, and I walked out with a killer pump.

Great way to start my training for 2011. Can't wait for legs on Tuesday!

mrky03
01-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Awesome Steve, keep us posted on your progress!

joedemarco
01-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Glad to see you back posting on your thread, Steve! I'll be following it. Good luck!

largesfc
01-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Hey Steve how are you? Hows the Factory? I miss that place!
Dave

KyMuscle
01-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Hey, Dave. Things are well, as I have written. Having my best offseason in years.

The Fitness Factory is still old and smelly -- best hardcore gym in Louisville.

Where are you these days?

largesfc
01-13-2011, 10:28 PM
I am in Kuwait! I will be here till Aug/Sept I miss that place!

KyMuscle
01-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Kuwait -- definitely NOT just down the road.

Stay safe! Look me up when you get back. You know I'm in the gym all the time either working with clients or training myself.

largesfc
01-13-2011, 10:36 PM
I will. Train Hard!

KyMuscle
01-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Definitely on a roll with my training. Still not lifting any weights worth bragging about, but I'm increasing weights and/or reps on almost every exercise every session. For instance, my top weight on incline presses is up 25 pounds in 6 weeks, without dropping any reps. The heavier weights = more muscle, of course.

Shoulder and knee seem to be holding up as long as I keep doing my rehab/stretches, warm up well, and maintain perfect form on every rep.

Best training season I've had since 2006.

largesfc
01-13-2011, 10:44 PM
We dont heal like we used to.

mrky03
01-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Definitely on a roll with my training. Still not lifting any weights worth bragging about, but I'm increasing weights and/or reps on almost every exercise every session. For instance, my top weight on incline presses is up 25 pounds in 6 weeks, without dropping any reps. The heavier weights = more muscle, of course.

Shoulder and knee seem to be holding up as long as I keep doing my rehab/stretches, warm up well, and maintain perfect form on every rep.

Best training season I've had since 2006.

Great to hear that your training is going well! How is your diet coming?

KyMuscle
01-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Diet? What diet? LOL

Right now, Joel, I'm just pounding down the calories and eating pretty clean and if I feel like having a few chocolate chip cookies after lunch or whatever, I'm fine with that.

Actual dieting will begin in April. Giving myself 6 months to slowly dial it in.

joedemarco
01-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Diet? What diet? LOL

Right now, Joel, I'm just pounding down the calories and eating pretty clean and if I feel like having a few chocolate chip cookies after lunch or whatever, I'm fine with that.

Actual dieting will begin in April. Giving myself 6 months to slowly dial it in.

Hey Steve, glad to hear that you are having such a great year with training. What is the show that you are planning to do again?

mrky03
01-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Diet? What diet? LOL

I hear ya, its what you do in the off season that counts. Got to get ready to get into contest dieting mode!

KyMuscle
01-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Hey Steve, glad to hear that you are having such a great year with training. What is the show that you are planning to do again?

Thanks, Joe.

Planning to do the NPC Natural Northern in Cleveland in October. If that goes well, I'll focus on the 2012 Masters Nationals, aiming for 50+ Welters.

KyMuscle
01-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Another awesome workout today. Chest/back focus, with some delts/arms thrown in. Weights continue to rise.

This is just so much fun now. For the past several years, due to injuries or general life issues, training was no fun and often just a chore.

It feels great to be back in the groove... and filling out my shirts again!

mrky03
01-17-2011, 05:17 AM

Thanks, Joe.

Planning to do the NPC Natural Northern in Cleveland in October. If that goes well, I'll focus on the 2012 Masters Nationals, aiming for 50+ Welters.

You will do well at the Natural Northern, its a quality show.

KyMuscle
01-26-2011, 01:06 PM
As I mentioned on the Injury thread, I developed an acute case of hip bursitis last week that ruled out leg training this week.

Thankfully, it's resolving incredibly fast. While just a few days ago I could barely walk, and getting into/out of my car was near-agony, I'm about 75% healed now.

NSADs, moist heat, and rest did the trick.

Will have to be more diligent about stretching my hips, in addition to the other prehab/rehab I do.

Upper body poundages continue to rise. Definitely filling out my shirts better!

Have gone from 195 pounds in mid-November to 208 now. I think it's time to cut calories a bit and move from bulking to repartitioning, while continuing to get stronger.

Although I don't post as much as many of you, I read all of the threads in the Masters Forum daily. Each of you, as you continue your journeys toward your goals, inspire me. This is such a GREAT, GREAT forum.

Mac
01-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Glad to read your hip injury is improving. Sounds like what happened to me a few months ago after doing heavy hacks. Incapacitated me for a couple of days then promptly went away.

KyMuscle
01-26-2011, 02:14 PM
The crazy thing about this injury is that the acute pain didn't happen during my workout. I felt fine after my squats and felt only a bit of tightness the next day. The day after that, while putting on my shoe, I got the intense pain.

I do think I'll be good to go on legs next week. Gotta keep riding this momentum until it's time to start serious cutting in the Spring.

KevinCouch
01-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Wow Steve! You've put on some good size in the past couple months despite your injury(s) at 208 at five foot 6! Great Job. Hope your hip continues to mend so you can keep the momentum up.

KyMuscle
01-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks Kevin.

Although, it's a sloppy 208... bear in mind my stage weight at my last show was 171.

Gonna have a long, hard road getting back down to 4-5% bf.

mrky03
01-26-2011, 04:58 PM
You'll get there, no doubt about it. You know what it takes, been there many times!

I battled hip bursitis for most of my contest prep last summer and like you said it just went away. Hurts like a sob though doesn't it! Gets old battling injurys. You will prevail though!

HeavyDutyGuy
01-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Momentum is good- when you have it- take advantage!!

KyMuscle
02-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Did legs today for the first time since my hip bursitis episode 2 weeks ago.

No pain at all. I've never had such a near-crippling injury resolve so fast.

Did squats, 10x10 and ended up very close to the weight I was using 2 weeks ago.

Continue to go up in weight/reps in every upper-body session.

Having a GREAT offseason and now carrying more muscle than I have since 2006.

Mac
02-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Did squats, 10x10 and ended up very close to the weight I was using 2 weeks ago.

Great news Steve. Stay injury free.

KevinCouch
02-01-2011, 07:13 PM

Glad to hear it Steve! You're planning on competing late this year or 2012?

KyMuscle
02-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Hoping to compete this October at the NPC Natural Northern USA in Cleveland, and at the Masters Nationals in July 2012.

largesfc
02-01-2011, 10:13 PM
I am thinking of doing masters in 2012!

KyMuscle
02-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Cool, Dave. Might be a bunch of us from the Fitness Factory doing the Masters next year. Would be a lot of fun to have a "team" from the gym compete in Pittsburgh.

largesfc
02-01-2011, 10:31 PM
For sure!

KyMuscle
02-21-2011, 07:14 PM
After getting over hip bursitis a few weeks ago, now my lower back is acting up. I'm typing this on my IPad as I lie on my recliner with a heating pad on my back.

It happened a week ago while doing dumbbell rows, of all things. Felt something "give" during the set, but finished the workout anyway. Felt ok 2 days later so I did legs. Next day my lower back was knotted up.

Still, I've had a mostly good winter of training and almost every day someone tells me they can tell I've gotten bigger.

Heading a couple hours north this weekend to help judge one of the largest shows in the country, the NPC Northern Kentucky. New this year is the Male Physique division... Still not quite sure what the standards for that are.

KevinCouch
02-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Heading a couple hours north this weekend to help judge one of the largest shows in the country, the NPC Northern Kentucky. New this year is the Male Physique division... Still not quite sure what the standards for that are.

That should be a "learning experience" for you judges. It will probably be an evolving criteria and hopefully by the end of the year there will be standards for you judges.

Heal up fast! Gotta get back to work.

joedemarco
02-21-2011, 07:53 PM
After getting over hip bursitis a few weeks ago, now my lower back is acting up. I'm typing this on my IPad as I lie on my recliner with a heating pad on my back.

It happened a week ago while doing dumbbell rows, of all things. Felt something "give" during the set, but finished the workout anyway. Felt ok 2 days later so I did legs. Next day my lower back was knotted up.

Still, I've had a mostly good winter of training and almost every day someone tells me they can tell I've gotten bigger.

Glad to see you posting in your journal. Sorry about the back. Hopefully it will heal quickly and you can keep training hard.

Good luck judging. Let us know how the show goes.

largesfc
03-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Hows training going?

KyMuscle
04-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Haven't posted for awhile, but there hasn't been much to say. I'm very happy with my workouts and where I am now, but I read everyones else's journals and just feel that the amount of weight you guys push/pull puts me to shame.

Yes..yes, I know, it's bodybuilding, not powerlifting, but still...nobody takes up lifting and expects to STILL be a weak ass SOB after 40 years of training!

I'm sitting now at 212 pounds, which is 17 pounds up from my starting point 5 months ago.

I'm carrying more muscle (and fat!) than I have in 5 years. Poundages are all up substantially. For example, I've added 60 pounds to my 10 sets of 10 squat weight.

I'm heading into a recomp now, so I'm lowering calories to maintenance level and planning to start serious dieting in June. Still planning to compete in the fall, but the main thing is to s..l..o..w..l..y whittle myself into shape and hold onto the gains I've made. If I'm not stage-ready in the fall, I'll hold off til spring 2012. Definitely plan to be onstage in Pittsburgh in 2012 though.

With lots of stretching and foam rollling, my injuries haven't hampered my training in several months.

We have a show in Louisville this weekend, the NPC Derby Festival Championships. I'll be judging.

largesfc
04-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Is it going to be as big as Brents Nov show? I know someone with a booth there!

KyMuscle
04-20-2011, 02:21 PM
I think eventually it will be. As of Tuesday there were 80 competitors signed up; give Brent a few years to grow it and it'll be as big as the November Kentucky Muscle.

largesfc
04-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Kentucky Muscle is a great show!

KevinCouch
04-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Haven't posted for awhile, but there hasn't been much to say. I'm very happy with my workouts and where I am now, but I read everyones else's journals and just feel that the amount of weight you guys push/pull puts me to shame.

Yes..yes, I know, it's bodybuilding, not powerlifting, but still...nobody takes up lifting and expects to STILL be a weak ass SOB after 40 years of training!

I'm sitting now at 212 pounds, which is 17 pounds up from my starting point 5 months ago.

I'm carrying more muscle (and fat!) than I have in 5 years. Poundages are all up substantially. For example, I've added 60 pounds to my 10 sets of 10 squat weight.

I'm heading into a recomp now, so I'm lowering calories to maintenance level and planning to start serious dieting in June. Still planning to compete in the fall, but the main thing is to s..l..o..w..l..y whittle myself into shape and hold onto the gains I've made. If I'm not stage-ready in the fall, I'll hold off til spring 2012. Definitely plan to be onstage in Pittsburgh in 2012 though.

With lots of stretching and foam rollling, my injuries haven't hampered my training in several months.

We have a show in Louisville this weekend, the NPC Derby Festival Championships. I'll be judging.

Glad to hear you're making gains Steve. 212 at our height...getting big! When you decide to step on stage you'll be ready to pick up where you left off. Keep up the hard work. btw, don't even worry about your weight your lifting, you notice I stopped posting poundages on exercises lately too. Not proud of the weight but as long as it's heavy on the muscle worked it doesn't matter bro. (I know Joe would disagree a little but he's just not normal)

KyMuscle
04-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks, Kevin.

Yeah, Joe...not just not normal, he's not even human, given the workouts he does. Amazing!