PDA

View Full Version : Heel Pain

V-Man
11-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Has anyone ever had problems with heel pain.

My left heel hurts and now its increasing. I know I abused it a lot during my life cause over the years I walk barefoot on hard surfaces all the time. My mother always warned me to put shoes on.

I contacted my doctor for an xray and he won't order one unless I come in and see him which won't be until Dec. 8th.

Not sure if its a bone spur or what. It normally doesn't effect me but it did with squats.

I'm thinking of trying to get some new shoes with extra heel cushioning or get a gel insert of some kind. Maybe an orthotic.

I have to do something I can't compete if I can't walk barefoot.
Anyone with suggestions I appreciate it.

Thanks

partsRheavy
11-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Do some of your cardio on a bike (either outside or in the gym) rather than running. A lot easier on the feet because there isn't the pounding!

Bryan Hildebrand
11-17-2010, 11:10 PM
define heal. I have just a little experience with this. ;)

Baldiewonkanobi
11-17-2010, 11:59 PM
My son has/had this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

He is a Private School Athletic Director....i.e. coach. It was killing him every day then while running in pain on the basketball court...POP.... he fell in terrible pain. Actualy according to his Ortho Doc he cured the problem himself by popping the adhesions. Today he is pain free without the surgery.

Baldie

Jusjoos
11-18-2010, 02:26 AM
Cissus Q. Have it to a customer of mine. She could'nt walk without limping due to arthritic pain. After 2 weeks she is walking normally without pain. Google it and check out the research on it.

GirlyMuscle
11-18-2010, 07:16 AM
I have plantar fasciitis. It was brought on by going barefoot and wearing flip flops for 4 months and rarely wearing real shoes. I'm flat footed so I need the support. One of the symptoms is heel pain.

Some other symptoms are more pain in the morning. Do your feet hurt when you first stand up and gradually gets better with each step? That's plantar fasciitis. The heel pain is a stabbing knife through your foot pain. Comes and goes usually.

rcp1936
11-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Been running for 34 years now

Had it back in my first year --cured by wearing arch supports --Cheap Dr Schuls worked

However twice while adding a lot of golf after I retired when I was on my feet for 4 hours with a lot of standing it flared up

Both times about a year apart I got a cortisone injection from a podiatrist at the pain location and was back to normal in several days

Quit the golfing--hated all the waiting around
Still running (but a lot less distance age slows ya down )and no heel pain ( 6 miles 3 times a week)
I also make sure my flip flops have some kind of arch support

I would try supports --there are a lot of different kinds out and you can find them in running shoe stores and even in the super markets

V-Man
11-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks everyone. The pain is worse when I get up and start to walk.

I am going to try remedies for plantar fasciitis. Getting new shoes with better arch and heel cushioning and doing some of the calf stretches.

If it doesnt get better will see doctor.

Thanks everyone.

Bryan Hildebrand
11-18-2010, 10:01 PM
where is the pain exactly? there are a multitude of potential problems. here are a few I have experienced.

plantar fasciitis. pain directly under the heal in the center.

achilles tendinitis. pain in the back of the heal, radiating upward.

bone spurs. can be anywhere there are connective tissues making contact with a boney surface.

fractures galore...

there are some home PT remedies for some of these. others can be addressed with stretching, weight loss, massage, heat and ice alternating, certainly NSAIDS, OTC and Rx as well as cortico steroid injections and surgical debridement.

give us an idea of where exactly the pain originates, things that make it worse or better and intensity of pain.

V-Man
11-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the info.

After researching I believe it is plantar fasciitis. The pain is in the heel and its worse in the morning.

I will get better shoes, and use NSAIDS and do stretching exercises and see how it goes.

mrky03
12-03-2010, 10:32 AM
I have pain right in my heels from time to time comes and goes. My wife on the other hand has been diagnosed with plantar fascitis. Her doctor is recommending a cortizone shot, which she is reluctant to go though with.

KyMuscle
12-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Her doctor is recommending a cortizone shot, which she is reluctant to go though with.

I don't blame her.

I've had PF. I don't have it any more.

Ice massages and tennis ball rolling can help. I bought this device and find it VERY helpful:

Amazon.com: Foot Wheel: Health & Personal Care

There are also various devices on the market that keep your plantar tendon stretched while you, sleep, alleviating that "first thing in the morning" foot pain common with plantar fasciitis.

rcp1936
12-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I have pain right in my heels from time to time comes and goes. My wife on the other hand has been diagnosed with plantar fascitis. Her doctor is recommending a cortizone shot, which she is reluctant to go though with.
AS I posted above I had them done twice and worked great that was over 14 years ago

My wife a runner also had one about 5 years ago and also worked great

We were both back to normal in 3 days

Warning though --They are VERY painful but it only lasts 10 or so seconds while he pushes the needle in

Cortizone shots are NOT recommended for other type tendons as they can make them easier to rupture but that is NOT the case for heel pain

mrky03
12-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Her doctor is recommending a cortizone shot, which she is reluctant to go though with.

I don't blame her.

I've had PF. I don't have it any more.

Ice massages and tennis ball rolling can help. I bought this device and find it VERY helpful:

Amazon.com: Foot Wheel: Health & Personal Care (http://www.amazon.com/RPI-Foot-Wheel/dp/B0007YZ18U)

There are also various devices on the market that keep your plantar tendon stretched while you, sleep, alleviating that "first thing in the morning" foot pain common with plantar fasciitis.

Thanks, I'm going to order one of those!

mrky03
12-06-2010, 07:00 PM
AS I posted above I had them done twice and worked great that was over 14 years ago

My wife a runner also had one about 5 years ago and also worked great

We were both back to normal in 3 days

Warning though --They are VERY painful but it only lasts 10 or so seconds while he pushes the needle in

Cortizone shots are NOT recommended for other type tendons as they can make them easier to rupture but that is NOT the case for heel pain

Yeah, I had a bad case of triceps tendenitis and they would'nt give me a cortizone shot for that and I asked for one!

godspeed
12-07-2010, 01:21 AM
I had the same problem. My heel hurt the worst in the morning; I went to the chiro and the arch of my foot was out. He adjusted my feet and the pain left instantly! I had to get arch supports to stop the problem, and I have not had a problem since.

sassy69
12-07-2010, 02:57 AM
I developed plantar fasciitis last summer during contest prep. Mad cardio a beeyotch. I've done the tennis ball thing, but not consistently enough. I had a great massage guy who worked on it as well. Let me tell you about the most painful massage I've ever had but it really shows you just how tight your feet can get tight. It propagated up my ankle and I developed stupid tight calves as well.

Icing, stretching & tennis ball help a lot.