PDA

View Full Version : Ways to do rackpulls if powercage bars don't go low enough?

Suzanne
11-24-2010, 12:44 PM
We are having to change gyms and the ones we are looking at the bars on the power cage would make it so that the lowest the bar is on mid is almost mid quad

Any ideas how to rig up a way to do rackpulls?

Not sure i feel secure standing on a cardio step especially trying heavier pulls like 365

I also do full deads but not as often as rackpulls. Doing for bodybuilding.

robert da strongman
11-24-2010, 12:47 PM
if the gym allows make a couple boxes and bring them in.
i don't like using the cardio steps to stand on. they put me too far back.

Suzanne
11-24-2010, 01:04 PM
if the gym allows make a couple boxes and bring them in.
i don't like using the cardio steps to stand on. they put me too far back.

thanks

ya i was kinda thinking maybe a box type thing

robert da strongman
11-24-2010, 01:11 PM
only other thing i can think of is to replace rack pulls with another movement...clean pulls from the hang position would work well.

Suzanne
11-24-2010, 01:17 PM
only other thing i can think of is to replace rack pulls with another movement...clean pulls from the hang position would work well.

ah ok

we also do db deads (at :20) they get awkward with big dbs
kUJYa097fQU

robert da strongman
11-24-2010, 01:21 PM
those look brutal!

Suzanne
11-24-2010, 01:39 PM
those look brutal!

luv them can def feel in upper back since can roll shoulders back and really squeeze

robert da strongman
11-24-2010, 01:49 PM
the roll at the top is what makes that exercise count.

i found pulldowns with a rope hit the top of the back nicely.

PeterDolan
11-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Box's sound good (probably better than my idea) but at my gym, the bars stop just above the patella so I stack up 1-2 45lbs plates and stand on those

robert da strongman
11-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Box's sound good (probably better than my idea) but at my gym, the bars stop just above the patella so I stack up 1-2 45lbs plates and stand on those

i have done that. as long as your footing is good it is a viable option

Jason Newman
11-24-2010, 02:51 PM
a good ol 4x4 of wood oughtta do the trick, thats what we used at world gym sac....

jnickels
11-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Or get taller.;) Sorry, had to throw my smart ass comment in there...i'll leave this alone now.

Suzanne
11-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Or get taller.;) Sorry, had to throw my smart ass comment in there...i'll leave this alone now.

That wouldn't be good then my clavicles would really be too narrow lol

Diabetic Muscle
11-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Do block pulls, I don't like standing on anything and pulling heavy weight. Make a couple of boxes at the desired height and put the boxes under the plates instead of standing on it. Mimics a deadlift better than rack pulls.

Ryan Bracewell
11-25-2010, 12:22 AM
does the gym your going to have rubber coated or steal 45# plates? If they are rubber coated you can lay them on the floor under the weights on your barbell elevating the bar to the height of choice.

swingslammer
11-25-2010, 03:45 AM
does the gym your going to have rubber coated or steal 45# plates? If they are rubber coated you can lay them on the floor under the weights on your barbell elevating the bar to the height of choice.

I have done them standing on 2 45s stacked on top of eachother.

Suzanne
11-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Do block pulls, I don't like standing on anything and pulling heavy weight. Make a couple of boxes at the desired height and put the boxes under the plates instead of standing on it. Mimics a deadlift better than rack pulls.

may go that route

metal

I have done them standing on 2 45s stacked on top of eachother.

i would have to stack 4 or more I am short

We trained there last nite and checked it out and they do have a box made but that only gets me to the bar being just above knee. So either need my own made or make a platform to put that on

or tell them to get a new power cage with bars low enough :)

tjoe
11-25-2010, 05:07 PM
I would only stand on something if were very stable!
Last time I put 2 aerobics steps under the plates. ours are 3" every riser you add is 2".
I think this would be your best option. also would eliminate having to build your own AND you have the option of a few different levels. 3", 5", 7", etc

jonnyirons
12-04-2010, 05:58 AM
...either samples from carpet stores (can often get them free when they discontinue a line) or buy 'office style' tiles - stack them up - can then pull from any height you like...