PDA

View Full Version : Back on the pill...

LisaRD23
12-08-2010, 10:01 AM
So after seeing my GYN for my annual exam she put me back on the pill. I've been off of hormonal birth control for the past 3 years- before that I was HBC for well over 9 years. 1st with depo-provera for about 5 years then when I switched GYN I used Yasmin & Yaz.

Right now I have been precribed Loestrin 24FE. The plan is to only be on it for 3 months.

For the past year my periods have been very odd- through compeition prep the inconsitancy just increased. I've been waiting for things to regulate for the past 5 months. Basically what's been going on is that while I do have a normal cycle- average 33 days- when I do get my period I barely bleed. You'd think that's nothing to complain about right?

But I don't have to use anything more than a panty liner- so my GYN suspects that I'm not ovulating. My husband & I decided that we would like to try for another child this spring. So if I'm not ovulating, it's a concern.

After informing my doc of our plans- the best plan of action decided would be to get back on the pill for 3 months. She suspects that my chances of conception would be even greater as soon as I stop taking the pill. She also started me on pre-natals to begin prepping my body.

tammyp
12-08-2010, 11:31 AM
geez i am so out of the loop w BC. i never have been reg though hormones are normal and no problems. my dr suggested an endocrinologist, but kids are not an issue w me so i could care less. good luck!

LisaRD23
12-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Thanks Tammy...estrogen sucks!!

I'm in the middle of my 3rd week and for the 1st week I felt my boobs doubled in size! That and missing the gym for a few weeks had me feeling like I gained 15lbs in matter of days!

Sunnyday
12-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I feel for ya, Lisa. How are you tolerating the prenatals? They used to make me really sick but I hear they have changed a lot over the last few years.

stephaniewicked
12-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Just think of it this way... small price to pay in exchange for a new member of the family soon! :) Good luck, girl!

kentuckyslim
12-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Loestrin 24FE gave me weird cycles too...spotting or nonexistent one month, and heavy the next. If I even took my pill a few hours late (not even missing a pill!), I would immediately start spotting. Drove me NUTS!

Sunnyday
12-09-2010, 09:04 PM
I had the same sort of issues with that drug. I either spotted or bled heavily every 2 weeks!

LisaRD23
12-10-2010, 12:40 PM
This is my 1st month, so I'll get to see next month what happens with my period.

tight booty
12-11-2010, 04:23 AM
God I hate the pill! Migranes, constant bleeding lasting for 5 weeks or longer and actual morning sickness where I was vomiting makes me HATE it! Not to mention pimples along my jawline. Definitely poison to my body!
Good luck with it all Lisa! Because you have something to gain from it all as in a new life...makes it worthwhile! Sorry for being negative....I just hate the sides!

LisaRD23
12-13-2010, 09:52 AM
God I hate the pill! Migranes, constant bleeding lasting for 5 weeks or longer and actual morning sickness where I was vomiting makes me HATE it! Not to mention pimples along my jawline. Definitely poison to my body!
Good luck with it all Lisa! Because you have something to gain from it all as in a new life...makes it worthwhile! Sorry for being negative....I just hate the sides!

Lol...well thankfully I haven't had much sides so far. Breast tenderness and swelling and nausea the 1st week- that's about it. I didn't have any break through bleeding.

One question maybe one of you ladies can help me with- it's been so long I 4got- do I need a backup for the days I am on the inactive pills? (before my period to starts of course) On Wed I start the inactive cycle- if I have sex Wed night or Thurs morning should we rubber up?

Sunnyday
12-13-2010, 01:48 PM
If you've been taking them for 7 straight days, then you should be fine...according to the package insert that's in my pill pack. You can always check with your doctor to be double-sure.

tight booty
12-13-2010, 08:37 PM
I thought it was 14 days, but I could be wrong!

LisaRD23
12-14-2010, 04:52 PM
You know...taking a pill that PREVENTS pregnancy in order to achieve pregnancy is pretty ironic...:dunno:

Anyway- I research my question a bit more and it seems that as long as you start the pill pack either the 1st day of your period, or the Sunday immediatley after (for Sunday starters) no back up is necessary.

kentuckyslim
12-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Hmm...but, if the end result is TRYING to get preggo, why worry about a backup method? If you're ovulating, weee! It worked!

Sunnyday
12-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Hmm...but, if the end result is TRYING to get preggo, why worry about a backup method? If you're ovulating, weee! It worked!

x2! Just what I was thinking! :yep:

GENESIS
12-14-2010, 09:45 PM
For the Ladies: Which BC did you notice the least amount of side effects from?

(low libido, mood swings)

My girlfriend stopped taking Yaz over the summer because i would need to beg for sex, and because she seemed to be developing aspects of bipolar disorder, all of which were not present pre-Yaz use.

Sunnyday
12-14-2010, 09:57 PM
For the Ladies: Which BC did you notice the least amount of side effects from?

(low libido, mood swings)

My girlfriend stopped taking Yaz over the summer because i would need to beg for sex, and because she seemed to be developing aspects of bipolar disorder, all of which were not present pre-Yaz use.

In my experience, it appears to be different for every woman. However, I did notice a HUGE difference in "evening out" my mood swings, etc. when I started taking evening primrose oil.

sweetjane57
12-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Just think of it this way... small price to pay in exchange for a new member of the family soon! :) Good luck, girl!

ROCK ON, Steph!!!! Awesome post!!!!! LOVE IT

sassy69
12-15-2010, 04:30 AM
In my experience, it appears to be different for every woman. However, I did notice a HUGE difference in "evening out" my mood swings, etc. when I started taking evening primrose oil.

^^ This. Having your estrogen levels off can fuck w/ your moods and water retention / comfort levels like nobody's business. Its important to work w/ your OB/GYN to get the dosing right for your natural hormone levels. I've also used very low dose estro/progest. When I moved and had to find a new OB/GYN one year - while I was requesting a new script for my BC, she misunderstood what brand I was using and it screwed me up for 2 months trying to get things back in order. It might take some time - can take up to 3 months to get things balanced - when you're trying a new BC, you have to run thru the whole month to see how your BC works. You can't just bounce your dosing around.

If your gf is having problems w/ the BC, ABSOLUTELY go back to the OB/GYN and work w/ him/her to get a BC dose that works better w/ her natural hormone profile. (If the OB/GYN won't work w/ her, then get a new OB/GYN. There's no reason to go thru life in a hormone-induced shitty mood.)

GENESIS
12-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the advice.

LisaRD23
12-15-2010, 11:25 AM

I wouldn't want to run the risk of starting a new pill pack and being pregnate. Sides can be wierd with the pill so I don't want to keep taking a "drug" that can affect the baby b/c I missread the signs as something else.

LisaRD23
12-22-2010, 10:37 AM
So I ended up not getting my period last week during the inactive pill days. I called the RN at my doc's office and we determined that because my cycle is usually at an an average of 33days, not the forced 28 day cycle the pill gives you, for this 1st month it is not uncommon for my period to not come.

I did take a test before starting the new pack though- just in case. I'd rather have that thought clear from my head. I really do hate being on the pill though. 2 more months to go.

SweetCapri
01-05-2011, 03:59 PM
So I ended up not getting my period last week during the inactive pill days. I called the RN at my doc's office and we determined that because my cycle is usually at an an average of 33days, not the forced 28 day cycle the pill gives you, for this 1st month it is not uncommon for my period to not come.

I did take a test before starting the new pack though- just in case. I'd rather have that thought clear from my head. I really do hate being on the pill though. 2 more months to go.
Thanks for the updates...I'm wondering how you are doing. How about you just keep having lots and lots of sex and get off the pill? That usually does the trick?! And I'm sure you'll have a happy hubby too. :yep::p

LisaRD23
01-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Well as of yesterday...I am OFF the pill!! Didn't like the way I was feeling and hubby & I decided it just wasn't worth f-ing up my hormones like that. I got a bottle of Vitex (chaste berry)- which is supposed to help regulate menstrual cycle and increase fertility. I am going to start that on Monday- then we will use protection until I get my 1st "real" period following ditching the pill this month.

February is baby making time :bedbreaker:

Sunnyday
01-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Good for you, Lisa! Also check out evening primrose oil if you haven't already. It helped me (us) a ton!

ironbelle
01-26-2011, 12:03 AM
But I don't have to use anything more than a panty liner

I wish I had your problem. You try having to have a super tampon AND an overnight pad(2 for sleeping). When I had medical benefits, I was on depo lupron injections every 3 months so I had no period. I am 44 now and my period is wacked. It didn't appear for 3 months, then showed up, then was late this month. First Doc says my weight is contributing to it but I disagree because my period was always regular. I think it's because I am getting older.

stephaniewicked
01-26-2011, 12:20 AM
February is baby making time :bedbreaker:

So do you have alot of sleepovers planned for your daughter next month or what?? lol... hope you start feeling better soon, mama. And wishing you lots of luck in making a healthy, happy, new addition to the family!

LisaRD23
02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
So do you have alot of sleepovers planned for your daughter next month or what?? lol... hope you start feeling better soon, mama. And wishing you lots of luck in making a healthy, happy, new addition to the family!

Lol...we just secured a new apt so we are giving her the room furthest from ours. No baby making has been going on yet though. I still have not had a period since I stopped taking the pill. I really don't know what's going on :dunno:

I'm getting worried that I am going to experince issues. I've been taking Vitex for the past 3 weeks (supposed to help regulate cycle) so I'm hoping that it will start working soon. I'm trying to hold off going to the doc b/c I don't want to start on any hormonal meds to induce my period. If not period by the end of next week I may have to call for an appointment though.

Sunnyday
02-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Lisa, if you have a digital thermometer (one that reads to 0.01 deg not just 0.1) then start tracking your temp first thing in the morning. This really worked for me so I could pinpoint if/when I was actually ovulating. Found out that although most women ovulate between day 10-14, I don't until around day 19-21. PM me if you want details if you're not totally sure how to do temp tracking. :)

SheWulf
02-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Lisa, if you have a digital thermometer (one that reads to 0.01 deg not just 0.1) then start tracking your temp first thing in the morning. This really worked for me so I could pinpoint if/when I was actually ovulating. Found out that although most women ovulate between day 10-14, I don't until around day 19-21. PM me if you want details if you're not totally sure how to do temp tracking. :)

Definitely true. They actually have a lot of phone apps out like WomanLog and Menstrual Calendar in which you input your temps and it helps map out your cycle for you.

Hopefully you get your issues squared away, Lisa. Hormones are too damn complicated.

LisaRD23
02-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the tip. I was actually looking into getting an OV test kit...with that and also with tracking my temp....it's hard to know when to actually start tracking if I haven't gotten my period. So I'd be testing everyday??

I just feel such a mess. Esp yesterday and today- I could swear that I had all physical symptoms of Flow comming to town but so far nada. My husband also urged me to skip cardio last night and to go straight home and try to let me body relax instead. He took care of dinner and everything so I all I had to do was pack my food for the next day which only took me about 20min.

If nothing happens by this weekend I guess I will have to call my doc just to get her opinion.

LisaRD23
02-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Just a quick update for anyone who has been following this. I got my period over the weekend:)

Don't want to give TMI on all the happenings, but while things didn't last too long it's deff an improvement. I think the Vitex has really helped. last week also added in a pre-conception tea that has the following herbs:

Red Raspberry Leaf : Tones the uterus and muscles of pelvic region. Cleanses and tones uterus and entire reproductive system.

Red Clover : Said to be one of the best fertility herbs – especially when combined with Red Raspberry. High in vitamins and minerals, including calcium and magnesium. Has virtually every trace mineral needed by the glands, and may help balance the alkaline/acid balance in the body, including the vagina and uterus.

Nettle : Full of highly absorbable vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C, D, K, iron, folic acid, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, sulfur and magnesium. Nettle contains more chlorophyll than any other herb, which is important to clean, purify and oxygenate the blood.

Alfalfa : Like Nettle, it contains almost every vitamin and mineral known to man. It is extremely high in chlorophyll which helps with blood oxygenation and purification. Contains 8 essential amino acids.

Chamomile & Oatstraw : Both are high in calcium and work together to relax, soothe and calm the entire system.

Peppermint : Adds a great flavor, aids in digestion, and is a sexual stimulant.

Dandelion Leaf : One of the best herbs for preventing and treating pre-eclampsia and strengthening the liver. (Poor functioning of the liver is both symptomatic and a causative of pre-eclampsia). Prevents and corrects anemia as it is a great source of folic acid and iron.

I think this tea + the Vitex + forcing myself to try to take it easy has made all the difference. We are going to wait 1 more cycle before we "stop preventing" just to give my body the change to continue regulating. I am so relived that I didn't have to make that doc's appointment.

Sunnyday
02-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the tip. I was actually looking into getting an OV test kit...with that and also with tracking my temp....it's hard to know when to actually start tracking if I haven't gotten my period. So I'd be testing everyday??

I just feel such a mess. Esp yesterday and today- I could swear that I had all physical symptoms of Flow comming to town but so far nada. My husband also urged me to skip cardio last night and to go straight home and try to let me body relax instead. He took care of dinner and everything so I all I had to do was pack my food for the next day which only took me about 20min.

If nothing happens by this weekend I guess I will have to call my doc just to get her opinion.

Yes, you just start taking your temp every day. I had the thermometer on the nightstand along with a pad of paper. If you have to get up and move around you've already missed the window of opportunity so set your alarm, stay under the covers, and move as little as possible. It will take a couple of tries to get the hang of this but it becomes second nature very quickly. When you are ovulating you will notice a very sharp temp increase and if memory serves, I believe it is like 0.5 to 1 whole degree difference. In other words, it is not subtle. When you see that, start going at it like bunnies for several days. The other interesting thing about this method is if you have conceived your body temp will stay higher & not go down as it does just before your period. I knew by this method that I was pregnant long before the blood test said so. Hope that helps.

Also...
The tea you mentioned in your last post sounds like it will definitely help put you in the right direction. Good pick!

Taking evening primrose oil will help regulate your hormone levels and also prime your uterus for conception. It also helps increase mucus secretions. Works wonders pre-conception and also 3-4 weeks prior to delivery. The only time it isn't safe to take it is between the time you find out you're pregnant (after implantation) through mid-3rd trimester 'cause it can increase uterine contractions. I take it all the time now (2x/day), even though we're done making babies 'cause I found it really helps with moods, hair, & skin like nothing else.