PDA

View Full Version : 13.1 You will not beat me!!!!

figurehopefull
12-10-2010, 02:32 PM
So...as with any type of competitor, when you aren't getting ready for something, you go nuts!!!!! :hypno:

For personal and financial reasons, I am having to take a small break from competiting, and I need something new! If you would have asked me a year ago what I though about running, my answer would have been, "I hate running!!! I am not a runner!!! Running is soooo boring!!!!"

Well......I might have to change my mindset a little. LOL Running is definitly a lot cheaper than competiting, and you get to eat more carbs!! :yep: I have never ran a marathon before, let alone a 5k. But stubborn people like myself dont start small...so no 5k for me! I am going to jump right into a half marathon!! Dont worry though, its in April, so I am giving myself plenty of time to train.

Also, this girl has got some big ole legs!!!! So I am hoping that changing up my style of cardio and doing something I have never done before will completly re-define my legs for my next show too!!

Well, thanks for reading!!!! On too running. Lets see what this body can do to that treadmill and tracks!

figurehopefull
12-10-2010, 02:35 PM
I got a running routine all ready to go. Started this week and I cant believe how I can run when I make myself. I have done many many many HIITS, and intervals, but never just full out running.

Monday I got 3 miles!
Wed= 4 miles
Thur= 3 miles

This Saturday I am going to do 4 miles again, but slow it down a little. I think my biggest thing right now is I am trying to run too fast and I am wearing myself down. I need to focus on distance, and when that improves, I can focus more on speed.
I am going to have 2 short runs, and 2 long runs a week. When my long runs get longer, then I will work on making my short runs faster!

8itup
12-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Nice work! Running is great I've started running with my 13yr daughter once a week and she kicks my ass! I'd like do a a 5k with her. I did one a "long" time ago and it was fun.

What is your avg min per mile at?

Sunnyday
12-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Looks like you're off to a good start. I like your plan, looks like you did your homework on distance running with the short/long runs.

figurehopefull
12-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Nice work! Running is great I've started running with my 13yr daughter once a week and she kicks my ass! I'd like do a a 5k with her. I did one a "long" time ago and it was fun.

What is your avg min per mile at?

Well, if I am just running 1 mile to see how fast I can go, then its 9:45....when I ran my 3 miles, i was averaging 11 mins. But when I did my 4 miles, I started slacking towards the end. the last mile took my like 14 mins.

figurehopefull
12-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Looks like you're off to a good start. I like your plan, looks like you did your homework on distance running with the short/long runs.

Thanks. Yes, I did about 2 weeks of reading before I offically started my training. I wanted to know everything!! Mondays and Thursdays are going to be my short run the whole time I am training, always being 3 miles, never any more. And then Weds and Sats are going to be my long run, with Sat being the longest. So if I do 4 miles on Wed, then I will work on 5 or 6 on Sat.

toddbz
12-10-2010, 03:56 PM
You don't mess around do you!?
Also remember that any training plan you're looking at is taking into consideration that you already have a base fitness (for running) established. How long is the actual training plan, 10 weeks? So as a avid runner myself, I can say the most important part is to establish that base/foundation. You have TONS of time...which most people don't do. So right now be less concerned with running this pace on this day, or how far on that day. Many people find it beneficial to simply do a few different routes a week of roughly the same distance and a pace where you can talk to someone without gasping like a fish out of water. After you've done that for a few weeks (running at least 4x/week) then up the mileage just a bit (most say 10%, but really whatever gets you back to the car or home) at the same pace. Only after you've done that for more than a month continuous, THEN you can start to be a clock watcher and go for time...which you'll have become much much faster by then by default anyhow.
Then come training program time you mind will be fresh, legs and lungs strong, and ready to kick some tail.

In the mean time don't shy away from the shorter events. It'll give you experience not only with running in a large group, but also a motivation factor with running with people with like goals.

Enjoy and much success!

figurehopefull
12-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks!

I think the biggest reason I might not do a 5k is because it is cold as hell outside right now and will be until about mid March!! Maybe I could find one around March to do, just to get me used to the idea of actually running in an event.

Texasgirl74
12-10-2010, 07:27 PM
I would recommend doing at least one race of some distance before the half marathon just so you know what its like. A race is very different than just a training run, all the people, etc.

What half marathon are you doing?

Sledge
12-10-2010, 07:42 PM
This is a great log. I'll be checking in to see how you are going.

partsRheavy
12-10-2010, 10:42 PM
That's awesome!! It looks like you are timing your training properly to work up to the 1/2-marathon distance!! :yep:

I agree with the others that it would be great if you could enter a 5K or a 10K prior to the April race just to get a feel for the start, the crowd, the finish etc. etc.

I'm not a runner, but back in 2003 and 2004, I _walked_ a couple of marathons LOL.

partsRheavy
12-10-2010, 11:05 PM
P.S. I forgot to post above - are you still lifting? Or mainly training for the run?

figurehopefull
12-11-2010, 09:38 AM
What half marathon are you doing?

Country Music City Marathon

figurehopefull
12-11-2010, 09:45 AM
P.S. I forgot to post above - are you still lifting? Or mainly training for the run?

Still lifting actually. LOL I dont want to lose any of my muscle and actually I am going to do a figure show in Aug. My legs do need to be toned down some, but I am trying to build my shoulders a little more and make my lats a little wider. I dont weight train on long run days. Here is my routine....feel free to make suggestions or critiques...

Mon- Shoulders/Abs/ Short Run (3mi)
Tue- Legs
Wed- Long Run (4-5mi only)
Thur- Chest/Tri's/ Short Run (3mi)
Fri- Back/Bi's/Abs
Sat- Very Long Run (5-8mi)
Sun- ABSOLUTLY NOTHING!!

figurehopefull
12-11-2010, 03:19 PM
So I took a different approach to my running today, and instead of focusing on the distance, I just told myself that I would like to run 4 miles nice and slow and if I dont make it, ok.....and if I do then great....

Well...... I freakin ran 5 miles!!!!! I can not believe it!!!!! :jump:
I have never ran 5 miles in my life, probably cause I have never tried, and I feel like a million dollars!!! I am not even out of breath or even panting. I think I have finally found my stride. I was running a mix of 5.5 and 6.0 and trying to get my miles in faster. Well today I put it on 5.0 for the first 3 miles and the last 2 miles I did it on 5.3. I never once got out of breath or even had to open my mouth to breath. No one else probably cares, but I am beyond proud of myself. Now on to my oats and blueberries and a day of rest tomorrow!!!!

Texasgirl74
12-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Congrats on the 5 miles. Are you training on the treadmill or outside?

Sunnyday
12-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Congrats on your long run! Keep it up!

toddbz
12-13-2010, 07:06 PM
So I took a different approach to my running today, and instead of focusing on the distance, I just told myself that I would like to run 4 miles nice and slow and if I dont make it, ok.....and if I do then great....

Well...... I freakin ran 5 miles!!!!! I can not believe it!!!!! :jump:
I have never ran 5 miles in my life, probably cause I have never tried, and I feel like a million dollars!!! I am not even out of breath or even panting. I think I have finally found my stride. I was running a mix of 5.5 and 6.0 and trying to get my miles in faster. Well today I put it on 5.0 for the first 3 miles and the last 2 miles I did it on 5.3. I never once got out of breath or even had to open my mouth to breath. No one else probably cares, but I am beyond proud of myself. Now on to my oats and blueberries and a day of rest tomorrow!!!!

That's how you do it right there!
Kudos.

Sounds like if you didn't have to open your mouth to breath then next time start out at 5.3 and see how it goes. Now I'm not saying if 5.3 is good then crank that sucker up to 6, but breathing out of your mouth is fine as long as you can still have a mild conversation if need be. Once you find that spot where you're comfortable, hold that speed and distance 4x/week for a week and go from there. Now if there is any good weather try and get outside as much as possible.
After all this is supposed to be fun ;)

Texasgirl74
12-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Agreed with what the poster said above, try to get outside as much as possible. You need to get used to running in the elements. I ran 2 marathons last year and did all my training outside. Granted I live in Texas, but the race is going to be outside so you need to be exposed to hot/cold/wind/humidity.

toddbz
12-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Agreed with what the poster said above, try to get outside as much as possible. You need to get used to running in the elements. I ran 2 marathons last year and did all my training outside. Granted I live in Texas, but the race is going to be outside so you need to be exposed to hot/cold/wind/humidity.

Absolutely.
I typically compete in trail events, but none the less, a huge part of running is psychological. So seeing varying terrain, land marks, etc. are vital to the comfort at which you train/race, but also just your overall mental outlook on something so primitive yet so personally satisfying at the same time.

Little deep there sorry. Basically getting outside is good for your brain ;)

figurehopefull
12-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Running outside right now????? :no:

I dont know. LOL If it isnt snowing, then its ice, or its just too damn cold. LOL I work from 8am to 9pm, so I would be outside at like 6am and at that time it is 12 degrees outside. Aaaaahhhhhh.. LOL

I used to run outside when it was warmer. Right now is a little too cold, but when it does start to warm up, I definitly will. So pretty much right now is on the treadmill. But I play around with the inclines and speeds and try to just trick my body and keep it guessing.

This week has been great so far!! Did 3 mile run on Monday and Weds. Tomorrow will be my long run. So today is resting time!