PDA

View Full Version : Arachidonic Acid

Z-FIT
03-22-2009, 10:03 PM
I just read in an article from the University of Maryland Medical Center. The article was talking about Omega 6 fatty acids and how the linoleic acid in them gets converted into gamma linoleic acid and then further converted into arachidonic acid. So if this is true can't we save money by just consuming vegetable oil before our workouts rather than buying an arachidonic acid supplement?

Frosty
03-22-2009, 10:10 PM
I just read in an article from the University of Maryland Medical Center. The article was talking about Omega 6 fatty acids and how the linoleic acid in them gets converted into gamma linoleic acid and then further converted into arachidonic acid. So if this is true can't we save money by just consuming vegetable oil before our workouts rather than buying an arachidonic acid supplement?

I wouldn't. There are enzyme pathways responsible for desaturating linoleic acid into GLA and DGLA and AA. You'd need a higher dose and you don't want to have a really heavy omega-6 dominant diet. I'm not even sure what all enzyme pathways are affected by different factors if it would convert to AA. AA is plentiful in meats and the richest source is egg yolks.

To me this is akin to saying why not take flax oil for your omega-3s when you can take fish oil that has EPA right in it.

Z-FIT
03-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Right on thanks for the input