PDA

View Full Version : Power Hour with Mike Johnston

robert da strongman
12-24-2010, 12:51 PM
THE RX POWER HOUR! Thu (12/23/10) 10pm EST: Pro Strongman ANDY VINCENT and ASC's VP: Mike Johnston! - RX Muscle Forums

alright listen to this show....i want opinions on what Mike said.

going back to "the people"

real sponsors

entertainment

the issues with ams to pros

robert da strongman
12-24-2010, 12:59 PM
oh yeah....

women....lets talk about that too.

LacyOkey
12-24-2010, 01:11 PM
It was good overall. I still have some questions .I want to know as competitors what we need to do to improve the sport. I want to see the women at the arnold and want to know the steps we need to take to get there.
While women have never had an ASC pro card we did have a pro card in the pre 2004 years.
These are all just thoughts.I think we have moved in the right direction in the sport.Competitions are all around and being put on constantly.When I first started I was lucky to find 3 a year that had a womens class.Now it isnt a problem.

robert da strongman
12-24-2010, 01:14 PM
It was good overall. I still have some questions .I want to know as competitors what we need to do to improve the sport. I want to see the women at the arnold and want to know the steps we need to take to get there.
While women have never had an ASC pro card we did have a pro card in the pre 2004 years.
These are all just thoughts.I think we have moved in the right direction in the sport.Competitions are all around and being put on constantly.When I first started I was lucky to find 3 a year that had a womens class.Now it isnt a problem.

i think to get women to the arnold and to get them procards there needs to be a bigger presence in the sport.

but it has to be the women pushing for local shows...if it is offered then they need to show up.

LacyOkey
12-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Agreed on the showing up.It is fristrating to show up and be the only competitor in your class. Seeing as there arent 100's of us it makes it hard.But I know Kristen Rhodes has helped the womens side of the sport tremendously.We are starting to see women only type competitions and are easily getting enough competitors.I know there would not be a problem getting many high quality women to go to the arnold.There are many international ladies that would jump at the chance to go.

LacyOkey
12-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Fristrating ?<<<<<Hello my name is Lacy and I cant type!

robert da strongman
12-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Agreed on the showing up.It is fristrating to show up and be the only competitor in your class. Seeing as there arent 100's of us it makes it hard.But I know Kristen Rhodes has helped the womens side of the sport tremendously.We are starting to see women only type competitions and are easily getting enough competitors.I know there would not be a problem getting many high quality women to go to the arnold.There are many international ladies that would jump at the chance to go.

well it is growing...i have seen more women compete n the last year than the previous 6 that i have been competing

robert da strongman
12-24-2010, 01:50 PM
2011 NAS masters nationals - RX Muscle Forums

something promising...women's masters

LacyOkey
12-24-2010, 01:57 PM
It is the right direction.I have an issue with admitting my age publically though LOL!

robert da strongman
12-24-2010, 02:02 PM
haha...nothing wrong there. i will be happy to compete with the old guys

Ryan Bracewell
12-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I do think strongman needs to look for a sponsor outside of supplement industry. I didn't clarify it on the show, but my sponsor wants me on his site for diversity and promote his brand. But he will not put me on an ad unless I lean out. Even though I am not fat, the average person does not want to be big and strong....they want to be lean and build muscle while staying lean(i.e. frat guy bullshit).

Nascar and other racing sports have made a living off of sponsors that the "athletes" dont use to win. Don't think Tide helps Jeff Gordon win, but it gets the brand name out. And strongman would be cheap to sponsor. Every Nascar team spends over $100,000 per race.....that's right PER RACE! ASC could run for a year with increased prize money on $100,000 alone. It really is just about finding the right company.

robert da strongman
12-24-2010, 05:15 PM
I do think strongman needs to look for a sponsor outside of supplement industry. I didn't clarify it on the show, but my sponsor wants me on his site for diversity and promote his brand. But he will not put me on an ad unless I lean out. Even though I am not fat, the average person does not want to be big and strong....they want to be lean and build muscle while staying lean(i.e. frat guy bullshit).

Nascar and other racing sports have made a living off of sponsors that the "athletes" dont use to win. Don't think Tide helps Jeff Gordon win, but it gets the brand name out. And strongman would be cheap to sponsor. Every Nascar team spends over $100,000 per race.....that's right PER RACE! ASC could run for a year with increased prize money on $100,000 alone. It really is just about finding the right company.

back in the day....Budweiser was a sponsor. I think IFSA had Toyota on board too.

Mike did make a point that our fans are not the fitness crowd, they are the regular everyday joes that drink PBR, eat Mcdonalds, and chew Skoal...