PDA

View Full Version : Feedback from 2011 KY Muscle

rd1
12-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Attached are some pics taken on contest day. I felt that much lower conditioned atheletes placed higher than me. For example, Karl Davis placed 4 spots higher in the light heavy division???? Check the contest gallery to see what I'm talking about.

Anyhow, the point of this question is not to knock on my placing, but to ask for feedback on areas of improvement. Please take a look and be specific on areas of improvement.

tammyp
12-27-2010, 05:43 AM
legs especially need much more mass. cond in ham glute area needs to be better. id also focus on more thickness and width in your back.

rd1
01-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the input Tammy. I can definitely improve on my glute conditioning by dieting 2 weeks earlier next time. It's really hard for me to add thickness to my legs due to my 6'0" height and long legs? My quads get shredded, and I'm able to rep 315 on squats, but nothing seems to fill them out like I need to.

Everybody else has told me my back width (lats in particular) are my strong point, so I should've posted more pics so you could see my lats. I agree they could use some width on the rear double bi pose show here.

Great critique! Keep the comments coming and feel free to drop suggestions on how "long-legged bodybuilders" can fill their legs out. I'm confident that I can improve on my ham/glute conditioning, but leg mass may be a genetic limitation due to my height.

Jude2
01-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Tammy's assessment is correct from those pics. It would be nice to see a lat spread to judge your lats. You are lacking back thickness in you rhomboids and middle traps. It is weird that your conditioning in your quads is great and your hams are that smooth, it could be a posing problem not contracting them good. Keep hitting the heavy squats and leg presses.

holyintellect
01-10-2011, 10:31 AM
I felt that much lower conditioned atheletes placed higher than me.

If it were so easy as to use conditioning as the only factor when it comes to placings, or jobs as judges would be so much easier! The problem is that often times you'll have a guy who is peeled, but has no size, or vice versa. I was a judge at this show, and while I do not recall where I had you placed, I will offer you some feedback as the others have....

You look stringy in the legs. Size definitely needed here.

Your back does look narrow in the double bicep picture...

As Jude said, there is a significant difference in the conditioning from front to back....

rd1
03-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks again for the solid feedback everybody. I think your assessments were spot on. My legs will always be hard to "fill out" due to being a 6' bodybuilder, but it is what it is, so I've upped the volume on my heavy leg day and added the abducter/adducter machines in the offseason. I've also added hyper extensions with glute/hamstring focus at the end of my back workouts, along with 3-4 sets of hamstring leg curls. One year of this, along with pushing my contest prep up 2-4 weeks should have me coming in pretty solid for the 2011 KY Muscle.

Jude2, attached are my front and rear latspread poses for this contest since you asked. Feel free to critque! Thanks again everyone.

Jude2
03-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Not bad, but hit those deads and heavy rows to thicken up.

holyintellect
03-24-2011, 07:54 AM
I dont think by doing those rear poses with your hands like that, it helps you very much...in other words, I think it actually takes away from your taper. Id be curious to see how much better it looks if you do it just using your thumbs (if that makes sense).

Those two poses reinforce the leg advice though. Not just from the front, but from the back, especially.

As an aside, I will be judging this show again, and I'll offer you a little advice...it will be huge, as it always is. The LHW class will probably be a monster class, sometimes with 20 guys. If you dont stand out, it will be very easy to get lost in the shuffle in that class, at that show. Good Luck!

rd1
03-26-2011, 12:55 AM
I think I got what you're saying. If so, that's great advice. I didn't realize how much the hand/thumb positioning can make a difference in the overall look but you're spot on!

I know it's going to be a deep class, but I'm up for the challenge! If I work on my posing as you mentioned, add some overall mass, and lean out the back side of my legs, my overall package should be pretty damn hard not to notice!

Can't do it alone though. Thanks for your advice.

rd1
04-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Last year was my first contest and I prepped solo (diet, cardio, & training was prepared by me). I did have friends help me with posing b/c no amount of knowledge can help you prepare for that without an outsider's point of view.

I've learned a lot from last year, and have hired an awesome trainer for the show already. We're working casually in the offseason to learn how my body responds to different variables. I'll be going into this show without the mental stress of making my own contest prep decisions, and with professional guidance!

I'm a little too heavy now, but will start posting photos for critique when it becomes appropriate. Just wanted to post an update in the meantime.