PDA

View Full Version : Competitors as Friends

fitairess
12-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Hey RxMuscle'rs,
I was wondering who has friends (not e-friends) but real everyday friends that are actually competitors like you?
I know bodybuilding is a lonely sport because it is you vs you for real. Where as many sports have a team of people bodybuilders don't have a designated area to practice. And the gym, our field of choice is usually field with those who just want to maintain or look good naked.
I would like some feedback please.
I will be using the info you provide for my blog

GirlyMuscle
12-29-2010, 09:47 PM
What counts as real life? I have people I met online and while I have only met them in person a few times I continue the friendship online and consider them real friends.

In my own town....zero.

The Big Sexy
12-29-2010, 09:52 PM
My GF is a competitor. And just about everyone I hand out with is a competitor. Shit... my training partners, other trainers at the gym... damn near everyone I associate with has been on the stage at one point in time and plans on getting on again.

fitairess
12-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Hey GM,
In person friends. Ones you hang with on a regular basis. I have many friends I have met online who compete, but locally only my coach and two clients. I just want an idea of how common or rare it it.
Thank you TBS

FitnBuf
12-29-2010, 11:27 PM
What counts as real life? I have people I met online and while I have only met them in person a few times I continue the friendship online and consider them real friends.

In my own town....zero.

My GF is a competitor. And just about everyone I hand out with is a competitor. Shit... my training partners, other trainers at the gym... damn near everyone I associate with has been on the stage at one point in time and plans on getting on again.

Both of the above describe me. I love all of them yes the sport can be lonely but it can also be amazing with a circle of people to motivate you and understand what you are going though. From Post-Stage blues, to off season training and of course to the exhilaration of stepping on stage. They can relate to everyday life as well as your "competitor life". Which is a connection that is difficult to find with friends that are not in the sport.....

GirlyMuscle
12-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Hang out with on a regular basis...in my town...none. But I live in my hometown. Might be different if I relocated to say....San Diego and I could hang out with TBS and his crew.

I do have 2 friends that while they live in other states, I consider them real friends...even soulmate friends if you will. One I text with constantly and see occasionally. The other, I lived for 2 years. I still fly to see him at least 1-3x a year and we're in touch all the time. I know both of them for over 10 years.

GirlyMuscle
12-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Both of the above describe me. I love all of them yes the sport can be lonely but it can also be amazing with a circle of people to motivate you and understand what you are going though. From Post-Stage blues, to off season training and of course to the exhilaration of stepping on stage. They can relate to everyday life as well as your "competitor life". Which is a connection that is difficult to find with friends that are not in the sport.....

So true! I have a BFF here in my town with whom I spend a lot of time but she's totally opposite of me when it comes to fitness. She accepts my BBing except when she rolls her eyes when I say I'm starting contest prep again for another show. She sees firsthand how miserable I get by the end and can't understand why I do it but she accepts me anyway. My family accepts it too but they don't get it either.

I have a new training partner who is new to the bbing end of it. She's fallen in love with the gym and takes anything I dish out but she hasn't competed. I doubt she ever will. Just the same she loves the sport. We haven't gotten to the hanging out with each outside of the gym part much yet but she's a cool chick so we'll see.

The Big Sexy
12-29-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah, my crew just isn't local either... I have crew up in LA, the OC and even over in Arizona and Las Vegas. I think it is a West Coast thing. I imagine it would also be in FL or NY/NJ too.

GirlyMuscle
12-29-2010, 11:52 PM
It snowed here for the first time this season. I'm ready to move to Florida...or Texas...both have a great BBing scene.

FitnBuf
12-30-2010, 12:02 AM
So true! I have a BFF here in my town with whom I spend a lot of time but she's totally opposite of me when it comes to fitness. She accepts my BBing except when she rolls her eyes when I say I'm starting contest prep again for another show. She sees firsthand how miserable I get by the end and can't understand why I do it but she accepts me anyway. My family accepts it too but they don't get it either.

I have a new training partner who is new to the bbing end of it. She's fallen in love with the gym and takes anything I dish out but she hasn't competed. I doubt she ever will. Just the same she loves the sport. We haven't gotten to the hanging out with each outside of the gym part much yet but she's a cool chick so we'll see.

Thats the exact response I get. Lots of rolling of the eyes, sighs, I even had a family memeber blurt out "I think it's bullsh!t"...that one kinda hurt but I realize other people have things they are into that I might think is bull too so I try to minimize my prep convo with those people.

I guess it's just like car guys talk cars with other car guys
Star Wars peeps talk Star Wars with other Star Wars peeps
Shoe gals talk shoes with other shoe gals

:dunno:

GirlyMuscle
12-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Thats the exact response I get. Lots of rolling of the eyes, sighs, I even had a family memeber blurt out "I think it's bullsh!t"...that one kinda hurt but I realize other people have things they are into that I might think is bull too so I try to minimize my prep convo with those people.

I guess it's just like car guys talk cars with other car guys
Star Wars peeps talk Star Wars with other Star Wars peeps
Shoe gals talk shoes with other shoe gals

:dunno:
yeah...I never thought of that. There just aren't bbers in my area so I make friends anywhere I can find them...Illinois, Florida, South Carolina, Australia...

FitnBuf
12-30-2010, 12:18 AM
yeah...I never thought of that. There just aren't bbers in my area so I make friends anywhere I can find them...Illinois, Florida, South Carolina, Australia...

That is tough....thank GOD for the internet girlfriend!! LOL To be honest if it wasnt for this wonderful technology, I may have missed out on many awesome people that have my common interest.

It is a small community of people here that go to all the shows so everyone tends to know each other. Whether you meet first online or at the show.

prettymuscles
12-30-2010, 01:22 AM
I just recently met a great couple last May who both competed. Its nice to hang out with ppl who understands. My last competition, the only friend I had who I supported at her comp the year before was supposed to help me out the morning of decided at the last minute she didn't feel like it.. But i am thankful for my bf who supported me throughout.

GirlyMuscle
12-30-2010, 01:27 AM
My last comp I had no one to go with me. It was an internet friend who drove 5 hours to pick me up at my house and drive another 5 hours to get me to the venue and spent the weekend with me while I did something that was my most important personal goal thing of the year. Tu Holmes is now more than an internet friend. He's a real life friend.

AVBG
12-30-2010, 02:59 AM
I have about 3 friends who I see regularly who compete and my neighbor also competes in masters competition.

sassy69
12-30-2010, 04:09 AM
I have guy friends who are competitors locally and who I visit regularly. I meet up w/ some female competitors at my gym as well but don't really hang out with. Most of my friends are competitors but they don't live locally - when I hit Vegas or travel, these are the people I hang out with.

tammyp
12-30-2010, 06:11 AM
i have one local friend that competes. my other 3 bffs...1 still competes, 2 competed and are now retired but dont live close.

oliolioli
12-30-2010, 06:46 AM
Yeah, my crew just isn't local either... I have crew up in LA, the OC and even over in Arizona and Las Vegas. I think it is a West Coast thing. I imagine it would also be in FL or NY/NJ too.

Hardly a crew. You sell buckets of over priced powder for your employer. They aren't really your friends

tammyp
12-30-2010, 08:12 AM
^ keep stirring the pot and youll end up on a perma-vaca.

The Big Sexy
12-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Hardly a crew. You sell buckets of over priced powder for your employer. They aren't really your friends

Just because the things you value are Crayola crayons, Hanna Barbara cartoon DVDs from the 1980s, and the uncut Myley Cyrus Deluxe Greatest hits volumes 1-8 en Espanol... doesn't mean that everything else in the world is overpriced.

I tell you what - I'll take you through a workout and give you some samples of Chain'd Out and WTF so you can enjoy your workout. Afterward we can talk about your nutrition and getting on the path to a better you! :)

JacksonRose
12-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Just because the things you value are Crayola crayons, Hanna Barbara cartoon DVDs from the 1980s, and the uncut Myley Cyrus Deluxe Greatest hits volumes 1-8 en Espanol... doesn't mean that everything else in the world is overpriced.

I tell you what - I'll take you through a workout and give you some samples of Chain'd Out and WTF so you can enjoy your workout. Afterward we can talk about your nutrition and getting on the path to a better you! :)

roflmao

fitairess
12-30-2010, 04:44 PM
O-WOW!!!!! Thank you!
This site is pure entertainment!

AVBG
12-30-2010, 04:52 PM
O-WOW!!!!! Thank you!

Glad you like it!!

True Iron Chick
12-30-2010, 08:41 PM
It snowed here for the first time this season. I'm ready to move to Florida...or Texas...both have a great BBing scene.

it was 30 degrees here in Tampa, FL the other night...had to DEFROST MY WINDSHIELD, since there was a layer of ice on it, didn't bring my little scraper from New York cuz I was under the impression I'd never have to use it in Florida.. WRONG!

JacksonRose
12-31-2010, 10:14 AM
O-WOW!!!!! Thank you!

I know! The people here are sooo funny and mad positive! Not to mention enormous mass monsters!

stephaniewicked
12-31-2010, 01:42 PM
I have one good friend (who's also a co-worker for the last 8+ years, but we became better friends after discovering our love for lifting). She got into it shortly after I did and just did her first show this fall. I have another friend who I met backstage at a show who I've become close with and sometimes train with. Then I have my Rx friends, many of whom I have met in person and keep in touch with online or meet up with at shows.

Sunnyday
12-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Sigh...you guys/gals are all I've got. My husband is extremely supportive of my participation in the sport at whatever level I want to take it to (competitive or not), but admits he's not into it. None of my other friends or family members like it or my involvement in it. Nobody near me understands me. :(

True Iron Chick
12-31-2010, 05:49 PM

speaking of myley cyrus deluxe greatest hits en espanol, I'd like to get first dibs on those if possible.:flowers:

stephaniewicked
12-31-2010, 06:08 PM
None of my other friends or family members like it or my involvement in it. Nobody near me understands me. :(

Aside from the people I mentioned, none of my other friends or family members understand me either. It sucks, always having to explain myself and what my diet is like and how much I train, etc... but I have to admit that they do always ask about my shows and let me know how proud they are of me... so that helps.

Ibarramedia
12-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Aside from the people I mentioned, none of my other friends or family members understand me either. It sucks, always having to explain myself and what my diet is like and how much I train, etc... but I have to admit that they do always ask about my shows and let me know how proud they are of me... so that helps.

Aren't you glad you have the Rx family and the internet. I can't imagine the stuff you would go through pre internet. I wonder how those competitors in the 80's and 90's did not go crazy.

Melissa
12-31-2010, 07:14 PM
This is something I feel I am incredibly lucky with....I really feel like I have the best of both worlds. I have a tight-knit group of competitor friends. They don't live in my town, but they're about an hour and a half from me and we hang out pretty often throughout the year. When we're all prepping, we are all on the same page with the misery. And when we're all offseason, we're on the same page with the food indulgences. Plus, aside from having the common ground of competing, we're all just good friends. Whether we competed or not, we'd still be close.

I also have a group of close non-competitor friends who are incredibly understanding of my lifestyle. Sure, they don't understand why I do what I do and make fun of me sometimes or bust on me for being a cranky biatch during prep, but they are 100% supportive. They are more than happy to let me come to them in a crying, pre-contest meltdown and just vent. They may not understand what I'm going through, but they ask questions and want to know how they can help and be supportive. Some of them have even come to my shows. I even have one of my bff's from college who is getting married next May (which will be smack dab in the middle of my prep for USA's)....she's not a competitor either, but she asked if I wanted let her know what I could eat and she'd have the caterers make that for me. Umm, can you say awesome? So, yeah, I feel pretty damn lucky.

FitnBuf
01-01-2011, 01:56 AM
Sigh...you guys/gals are all I've got. My husband is extremely supportive of my participation in the sport at whatever level I want to take it to (competitive or not), but admits he's not into it. None of my other friends or family members like it or my involvement in it. Nobody near me understands me. :(

Mu hubby is the same.....all the love and support in the world, but not into it himself

Sunnyday
01-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Aren't you glad you have the Rx family and the internet. I can't imagine the stuff you would go through pre internet. I wonder how those competitors in the 80's and 90's did not go crazy.

Probably one reason why so many of them left the sport - no one to relate with or share in your passion.

SweetCapri
01-05-2011, 03:55 PM
I also have the best of both worlds...friends who I've known since college who, for the most part, understand the sport, and then I have a handful (or 2) of friends who I've met in the industry who I've developed close relationships with. It also helps to have a bf who is in the industry and supportive...he's like my BFF too!

AVBG
01-05-2011, 04:25 PM
I also have the best of both worlds...friends who I've known since college who, for the most part, understand the sport, and then I have a handful (or 2) of friends who I've met in the industry who I've developed close relationships with. It also helps to have a bf who is in the industry and supportive...he's like my BFF too!

you're both fortunate to have each other...he's a stand up guy and a great friend.

SweetCapri
01-05-2011, 08:53 PM
you're both fortunate to have each other...he's a stand up guy and a great friend.
I'm starting to think you love him more than I do!:p

AVBG
01-05-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm starting to think you love him more than I do!:p

All bro-mance

SweetCapri
01-07-2011, 01:40 AM
All bro-mance
sure it is!;)

AVBG
01-07-2011, 03:13 AM
sure it is!;)

Ask him! He stopped ignoring me once I stopped stalking him!

SweetCapri
01-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Ask him! He stopped ignoring me once I stopped stalking him!
He only likes it when I stalk him. LOL.
Be sure to listen to AFTER HOURS. I was in it!:yep:

AVBG
01-07-2011, 09:17 PM
He only likes it when I stalk him. LOL.
Be sure to listen to AFTER HOURS. I was in it!:yep:

cool stuff SC!! I like it when you're on.. it balances the test/estrogen ration to 6:1 lol!;)

SweetCapri
01-07-2011, 10:57 PM
cool stuff SC!! I like it when you're on.. it balances the test/estrogen ration to 6:1 lol!;)
Barely...I can be rough sometimes. :p

FitnBuf
01-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Trying to explain to friend and family that are not competitors.....

6CrLECXeBBQ&feature=player_embedded

The Prodigy
01-11-2011, 12:04 AM
I have found that IF I have something else in common with someone OTHER THAN the industry the friendship seems to work better for me. My close friends are super supportive of me, so I feel lucky for that! My family....not so much! I have decided recently to "weed my garden" of people who were not bringing me happiness and were holding me back or tearing me down. It was a very cleansing but hard thing to do! Ultimately it made me a happier, more laid back, positive person in the end!:yep:

Ibarramedia
01-11-2011, 12:22 AM
I have found that IF I have something else in common with someone OTHER THAN the industry the friendship seems to work better for me. My close friends are super supportive of me, so I feel lucky for that! My family....not so much! I have decided recently to "weed my garden" of people who were not bringing me happiness and were holding me back or tearing me down. It was a very cleansing but hard thing to do! Ultimately it made me a happier, more laid back, positive person in the end!:yep:
What do you mean by the family not so much? Were they really against your FBB activities or were they just nonchalant and their like 'whatever'?

The Prodigy
01-11-2011, 02:33 AM
What do you mean by the family not so much? Were they really against your FBB activities or were they just nonchalant and their like 'whatever'?

No they are really against it!!!

Ibarramedia
01-11-2011, 12:24 PM
No they are really against it!!!

Sorry to hear that. We're here at Rx to support you. :ok: :beerbang:

The Prodigy
01-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Sorry to hear that. We're here at Rx to support you. :ok: :beerbang:

Thanks! I am used to it! I was always the one that went against the grain of normal in my family! If my family was "happy" I know I wouldn't be!:hypno: