PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition Degree

DAVIDHARDY
01-03-2011, 01:58 AM
I want to get a degree in nutrition, and I will have to go to school online. Where I am coming up lost is what kind of degree to get. There are so many degrees related to nutrition. I want to be able to help people through nutrition and make a living doing so. What is the best degree to get in terms of "Being legit"? Nutritional Science, Sports Nutrition, Holistic Nutrition, Dietetics, etc...

Thanks for the input.

Pheedno
01-03-2011, 05:56 AM
biology major into bachelors. RD(registered dietician) masters.

DAVIDHARDY
01-03-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm looking into biology majors. They aren't available online due to the lab requirements.

http://education-portal.com/bachelors_of_biology_distance_education.html

rpen22
01-03-2011, 08:03 PM
I'm not sure how fully online degree programs work, but there are plenty of labs and lab sciences required for a BS in Dietetics.

daft205
01-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Yeah getting any science based or related degree online will be next to impossible. Even an AS from your local JC will require some hands on classes, ie physio, Chem, bio, anat, exercise science etc.etc....

DAVIDHARDY
01-03-2011, 09:54 PM
What about Nutritional Science degrees? I have seen those and degrees like Sports nutrition and holistic nutrition available through distance learning. I want to learn and be able to apply it in a career later on down the road. I don't want to just take a bunch of classes and have a worthless degree. Know what I mean, Vern?

Bona fide
01-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Definitely registered dietitian...nutritional science might be good...usually anything with the word "science" attached to it is more legit AND more of a pain in the ass to get

daft205
01-03-2011, 10:40 PM
What about Nutritional Science degrees? I have seen those and degrees like Sports nutrition and holistic nutrition available through distance learning. I want to learn and be able to apply it in a career later on down the road. I don't want to just take a bunch of classes and have a worthless degree. Know what I mean, Vern?

You have seen accredited bachelor of science degrees in the fields you've listed offered through solely online classes?

freak
01-03-2011, 11:22 PM
^^^Is what an online degree will be.

DAVIDHARDY
01-04-2011, 12:38 AM
^^^Is what an online degree will be.

I can see if it was a certificate, but how is any online degree considered worthless? You still pay the money for the classes, take the classes, and have to pass them. How can that not be legit coming from an accredited college?

DAVIDHARDY
01-04-2011, 12:40 AM
You have seen accredited bachelor of science degrees in the fields you've listed offered through solely online classes?

I saw the Sports Nutrition offered by one college, and the Nutritional Science degree offered by a couple.

"Rodz"
01-04-2011, 02:56 AM
I saw the Sports Nutrition offered by one college, and the Nutritional Science degree offered by a couple.

Check this out man

http://www.issaonline.com/certification/sports-nutrition-certification/

DAVIDHARDY
01-04-2011, 03:45 AM
Check this out man

http://www.issaonline.com/certification/sports-nutrition-certification/

That is an option just to get a start, but I want an actual degree instead of just a certification. Thanks, Mike.

"Rodz"
01-04-2011, 03:52 AM
No probs, Definately worth seeing what ones people recognize as well. even though the info from the SMART PT cert was amazing, unfortunately since its not well known, most gyms don't care

Brandyb
01-04-2011, 03:11 PM
IFPA offers An exercise Science degree Online which covers everything.
http://www.fitnessinstituteoftechnology.com/

I have been looking into their school cause its online and I'm a single mom working full time.
They offer AS, BS, PhD without all the extra history and english classes.
I did my PT and Sports Nutrition training with them.

Anyway something to look into.
Good Luck!

DAVIDHARDY
01-04-2011, 10:25 PM
stupid computer double posted

DAVIDHARDY
01-04-2011, 10:26 PM
IFPA offers An exercise Science degree Online which covers everything.
http://www.fitnessinstituteoftechnology.com/

I have been looking into their school cause its online and I'm a single mom working full time.
They offer AS, BS, PhD without all the extra history and english classes.
I did my PT and Sports Nutrition training with them.

Anyway something to look into.
Good Luck!

Wow, thanks for the information!

OutOfStep
01-15-2011, 03:03 PM
I want to get a degree in nutrition, and I will have to go to school online. Where I am coming up lost is what kind of degree to get. There are so many degrees related to nutrition. I want to be able to help people through nutrition and make a living doing so. What is the best degree to get in terms of "Being legit"? Nutritional Science, Sports Nutrition, Holistic Nutrition, Dietetics, etc...

Thanks for the input.

I'm 4 classes away from getting my BS in dietetics. I've had to take a lot of lab sciences like biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, nutritional biochemistry etc. I don't see an online degree being of any use because you aren't going to be getting any of these sciences.

To become an RD you need this degree plus a year's worth of clinical rotations. It will have taken me 5 years to finish my degree but I was working a full time job the whole time (my employer has paid for half of my tuition and all books). The path to becoming an RD is not an easy one, but if this is something you are serious about, then look for a local college that has a dietetics program and go for it.

s2h
01-15-2011, 10:58 PM
daves SMART course is really solid..covers just about all the bases..and its a college credited course..

DOWORK
01-17-2011, 01:38 AM
I'm 4 classes away from getting my BS in dietetics. I've had to take a lot of lab sciences like biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, nutritional biochemistry etc. I don't see an online degree being of any use because you aren't going to be getting any of these sciences.

To become an RD you need this degree plus a year's worth of clinical rotations. It will have taken me 5 years to finish my degree but I was working a full time job the whole time (my employer has paid for half of my tuition and all books). The path to becoming an RD is not an easy one, but if this is something you are serious about, then look for a local college that has a dietetics program and go for it.

I've actually just finished up my internship and passed the RD exam last month.

I don't think you can do much job wise with just a degree in nutrition. I have a couple of friends that have nutrition degrees that can't do much with it.

I say if you want to get a degree in nutrition, get it in Dietetics and apply for internships. The thing about RD internships is they are very competitive. The year I applied for my internship only 50% of the applicants got into internships. They are also pricey and most internships are non-paying ones (only a handful are paid and those are VERY difficult to get into).

hope this helps.

-D

DAVIDHARDY
01-18-2011, 01:58 AM
I'm looking into biology majors. They aren't available online due to the lab requirements.

http://education-portal.com/bachelors_of_biology_distance_education.html

There are a couple of colleges locally that offer biology majors. Hopefully they offer night time classes. I'm going to look into them when I get back home!

Darreningym
01-20-2011, 08:53 PM
OP, find someone who is doing what you want to do. Then ask them/ look at their website and see what degree/masters they got

Costco77
01-23-2011, 04:47 AM
If your main goal is to get a degree in nutrition it requires a lot of classes, more than the average major...at least at my school. But what i'm doing is majoring in Kinesiology and taking Nutrition classes for all my electives. If you aren't as concerned with the title of a full degree you can just go to your local university and sign up for a couple of nutrtion classes of your choice, which would give you a great foundation and you would definitely learn a lot. The other option is to get certified through ISSA or NASM, but i'm not sure hot great these programs are. I would stick to a credible programs like college courses, and as a second option i would look into ISSA or NASM...A lot of online cirification programs are hit and miss, and more the latter.

Costco77
01-23-2011, 05:03 AM
Here's a great article to read:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/11/18/paper-credentials-vs-the-fitness-industry/

DAVIDHARDY
01-23-2011, 07:19 PM
If your main goal is to get a degree in nutrition it requires a lot of classes, more than the average major...at least at my school. But what i'm doing is majoring in Kinesiology and taking Nutrition classes for all my electives. If you aren't as concerned with the title of a full degree you can just go to your local university and sign up for a couple of nutrtion classes of your choice, which would give you a great foundation and you would definitely learn a lot. The other option is to get certified through ISSA or NASM, but i'm not sure hot great these programs are. I would stick to a credible programs like college courses, and as a second option i would look into ISSA or NASM...A lot of online cirification programs are hit and miss, and more the latter.

This is more than likely what I will do. I am very interested in going for a degree in Biology, and I'll opt for the nutrition classes for electives along the way. I'm not at all interested in the certification programs, because I really don't see them carrying much weight to be honest.

Curt James
01-23-2011, 09:54 PM
^ You're probably right.

Otoh, anything is better than nothing. I mean a certificate would show potential employers "Hey, this guy cared or was interested enough to pursue this worthless as #### certificate."

:dunno:

Uh, to clarify... every job I've had has had more to do with getting along with people and being able to learn on the job than with whatever degrees or certificates I possessed.

Even teaching which required both a degree and a cert is to a large degree learning on the job and definitely requires people skills.

DAVIDHARDY
01-23-2011, 09:59 PM
It's not worthless, but I'd just rather pursue something better is all. There are plenty of people that have the certificate and are able to use it.

C8H10N4O2
01-22-2012, 02:05 AM
Just a word of advice, thoroughly investigate the online school you choose. Look for lawsuits against them. A friend of mine shelled out 40k to one, the month he graduated 2 class actions were filed against the college, one by investors (they had been drastically inflating enrollment numbers they reported to the investors) and the other by students that would get all of their classes finished then be told "we have made changes, you need to take another class". He also found they were assigned group projects regularly in every class, and if other members of your group (some that barely spoke English) didn't participate 100% YOUR grade would be hurt too even if the assignment was completed without them.

Mr.Dedication
01-22-2012, 02:54 AM
When it comes to nutrition I've learned that if you purchase the right college books you'll be good to go.

I learned more in one class than I have from 2 years of this game.

But biology, biochem, and shit like that can teach you a lot more.

BigGreen1
02-02-2012, 03:18 PM
why not just go to a university?

Mr.Dedication
02-02-2012, 09:45 PM
I guess because of the cost and timing

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Rawstrength
02-03-2012, 09:48 AM
The ADA pretty much controls the industry.