PDA

View Full Version : Eating and Nutrition for PERFORMANCE...

Matt Reynolds
01-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Hey guys,

I'm an ex-lightweight pro strongman, who is now in a heavyweight body. (Been hovering around 285 the last year or so).

I have done extensive research on Nathan Payne and others who tend to do nutrition for performance, as opposed to nutrition for cutting/bluking, etc.

My only concern is strongman performance and health. I don't care if that means me being 265 or 300, as long as I fuel my body in the correct way to perform. I had an opportunity to train a few times with Travis O this year and got to talk to him some about the changes Nathan has helped bring on - being healthier, leaner, more conditioned, and just as strong.

I have fallen in the past couple years of the trap of eating shitty food - too much fast food, etc. and I experience the symptoms of hyoglycemia, especially an hour or two after eating a big refined carb meal (say, pasta, soda, etc.)

However, my strength levels are great right now and my training drives my desire for complete nutrition so that I can more efficiently train and burn fuel.

I just wanted to get your ideas on eating for performance as opposed to cutting/bluking, etc.

I'll post what I believe to be the best choices for myself next, and would love some input on them.

Thanks!

Matt

Matt Reynolds
01-07-2011, 10:01 AM
These are the basic giudelines I am choosing to follow....

(It's been an entire week so far (lol), and I'm down to 271 already from 280 on Sunday.) - Again, I don't care about the weightloss/gain that much as long as I am eating to fuel my training and performance...

1) Cut out all refined and processed carbs (including flour and wheat products, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, etc.) with the exception of cheat meal or day on Saturday.

2) Convert from store bought grain meat meat and eggs to organic grass fed beef, chicken, eggs, and wild salmon for the vast majority of my protein needs (along with a basic whey isolate powder).

3) Control insulin (and carbs) by eating the majority of my calories from meat and healhty fats, but with the addition of some slower carbs such as beans throughout the day when needed, and fruit/oatmeal/yams/red potatoes in the 3 hour window around training.

4) Consume healthy fats for energy from sources such as: natural grass fed meat and eggs, avocados, olive oil, fish oil, natural coconut oil, macadamia oil, and nuts and seeds.

5) Drink and enormous amount of water.

6) Eat whatever I want on Saturdays (I do my big heavy deadlift day plus strongman events on Saturday mornings at 10am).

Thoughts?

robert da strongman
01-07-2011, 11:18 AM
good stuff Matt....keep us posted on the results.

going for a HW procard?

Matt Reynolds
01-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Yes, that's certainly the end goal. For now, I'd just like to get where I can do really well at the regional heavyweight shows. My biggest thing holding me back is my overhead - a log in the low 3s in unacceptable.

I've made big strides the past year, with a deadlift in the mid 7s, and I'd like to pull 800 this year for sure, and I feel good about how I'm going to get there. My squat is strong, my yoke/farmers/tire etc is really good - stones are solid.

Just need to put it all together and start killing the regional heavies. And figure out my overhead - which is probably going to need an increase in bodyweight to 290 or so, but the first step is to get my body using food for fuel in the most efficient way possible.

robert da strongman
01-07-2011, 11:35 AM
yes definitely need to get that press up there.

well feel free to chronicle your progress here! always could use another strongman in the mix...

Matt Reynolds
01-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Well, I should qualify that I have strict military pressed 300 and hit a 377 axle - so its not awful - its just the log thats awful. lol

robert da strongman
01-07-2011, 11:52 AM
ah-ha!

i am just the opposite...better with log than bar or axle

PowerCoach
01-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Hi Matt,

I have a Q and A in the Strongman Forum with a ton of nutritional info. If you get a chance read through the interview and following questions and answers for alot of useful tips in this area, and feel free to add your own questions if you need something addressed.

Nathan

Matt Reynolds
01-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Nathan,

Thanks! I have definitely read every word you've ever written on the internet. ;-)

I love studying this stuff and reading, and I really respect what you do. I've also listened to the RXpower hours to glean any info that I could from it from your guys (Bracewell, Travis O, etc.)

Matt Reynolds
01-07-2011, 03:15 PM
I posted these questions to Nathan on his Q&A - what are you guys' thoughts??

What carbs should strongman athletes primarily use?

I like the "idea" of a general paleo/mountain dog type nutrition, but I also know from competing at strongman that I NEED carbs to fuel my intense sessions...

HOWEVER, I also struggle with insulin insensitivity, and don't want to use shitty processed carbs, sugar, etc. So in order to control insulin I choose beans, oatmeal etc as "slow" carbs to help get me the carbs that I need (and use fruit pre-training, and waxy maize immediately post training and yams in the meal afterwards)....

HOWEVER, I struggle with gut problems BIGTIME. I have diarrhea all the time and fart non stop. The true paleo-ites say that all grains and beans are worthless (can't be eaten in their raw state) , cause inflammation through allergens, and that they are the root cause of my problems.

What are your thoughts on good carb choices for the high level competitive strongman when considering nutrition for performance?

Thanks!

robert da strongman
01-07-2011, 04:49 PM
i like sweet potatoes and yams. for a quick carb preworkout i prefer pasta

Steelmass
03-03-2011, 12:59 AM
I posted these questions to Nathan on his Q&A - what are you guys' thoughts??

What carbs should strongman athletes primarily use?
What are your thoughts on good carb choices for the high level competitive strongman when considering nutrition for performance?

Meals before and after workout.. Low glycemic index carbs such as: yams, oatmeal, brown rice, chickpeas, angel hair etc.
Try to mix in green vegetables and maybe banana preworkout (or whatever you prefer) for general health.

Immediate Postworkout: Maltodextrin/Dextrose/Whey

Shoot for 2g protein / lb bodyweight - real, lean sources are preferred over shakes.

Good fats include flax seed oil (they make flax peanut butter), coconut oil etc.. You want Polyunsaturated fats.. usable as energy

joshuaty2010
05-09-2011, 06:04 AM
Try to look online tips that specifically for you.