PDA

View Full Version : fix my bench..please?

tribal
03-23-2009, 07:06 PM
5'7" 170..i can incline dumb press 90's with no prob, i can dumb shoulder press 85's, i close grip bench with cambered bar about 140, but i cant flat bar bench more then 135 :eek:! i can get alot of reps with 135 but it just feels awkward and painful..an i if i add weight forget it the pain just gets worse...before i sustained a rotator injury i could barely flat bench 225 so its really always been a problem (if it matters..before the rotator injury on the incline dumb press i could do 105's the dumb shoulder press 95's an close grip was the same...so basically everything dropped off but the flat bench FUCKIN FLATLINED)

Wheels
03-23-2009, 09:08 PM
My advice, don't bench.

You sustained a rotator cuff injury which gives you even more reason to avoid it. The flat bench is notorious for destroying shoulders. If it's painful, don't do it.

Blakryno
03-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Unless ur a competitve lifter flat bench is really not that important. I haven't done flat barbell presses in about a year. It hasnt harmed my development.

MichaelWayne
03-23-2009, 09:21 PM
If its only flat BAR bench that hurts, grab the DBs and go to town. Won't put your shoulders in such a strick/akward position and will do you just fine. If this still hurts bring your elbows in to your sides a little, almost like the motion on a Hammer Strength decline machine. Another good example of this form is on a video of Branch Warren "on another site", that shows him benching in MetroFlex before the Arnold.

I find that I can lift heavier with DBs and get more of a pump. Worth a shot.

bean44
03-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Don't even bother with flat bench. You seem to be pretty strong with the dumbells. I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder in 04, and couldn't lift upper body for 6 months. Also like the guys have said if you are not powerlifting, why bother hurting yourself?

bigtimektz
03-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Shake the flat bench.
If you feel the need to include a flat pressing movement in your routine than try Flat Bench Dumbbell presses. You can get a better stretch with that exercise anyways.
Also try the Hammer Strength Flat Bench if your gym has one.

tribal
03-25-2009, 10:39 AM
constantly get the question ova an ova again "how much you bench" and i just get tired of sayin "S I G H (in my head thinkin here we go again) guuuuuuuuuuuuy, i dont do bench press" and then they always want a fuckin explanation

SoxFan11
03-25-2009, 11:22 PM
constantly get the question ova an ova again "how much you bench" and i just get tired of sayin "S I G H (in my head thinkin here we go again) guuuuuuuuuuuuy, i dont do bench press" and then they always want a fuckin explanation

You don't owe anyone an explanation! It's your body and your shoulders. If people don't understand, then they can go fuck themselves.

buster12
03-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Shake the flat bench.
If you feel the need to include a flat pressing movement in your routine than try Flat Bench Dumbbell presses. You can get a better stretch with that exercise anyways.
Also try the Hammer Strength Flat Bench if your gym has one.
or smith machine... I love the smith at times...:D

tribal
03-26-2009, 02:22 PM
the main thing is the more i get this question, the more it makes me think i should be doing the bench...thats why i posted the thread...actually right before i posted the thread 2 of my friends asked me the question lol..so im like let me post this shit and see whats up

tjoe
03-26-2009, 04:45 PM
the main thing is the more i get this question, the more it makes me think i should be doing the bench...thats why i posted the thread...actually right before i posted the thread 2 of my friends asked me the question lol..so im like let me post this shit and see whats up

typically that question is asked by people who don't really train anyway! I agree with the others, just stop benching.

kraken
03-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Ditch the bar, use d-bells. I will prop one end of the bench up so it gives me a slight decline. takes alot of stress of the shoulders.

pnohe
03-29-2009, 10:13 AM
personally, I like tellin people that I bench as little weight as it takes to build new muscle and that I don't care about numbers, sometimes that weight is 95 pounds! and let me tell you a lot of people realize that they must be doing something wrong when they see the way MY chest looks compared the the way THEY look. for most people the REAL question that they are asking is not "how much ya bench" but rather "what are you doing that I am NOT doing and how do I get to look like THAT?"

There is no NEED for any one movement, period!!! do what works for you.

pfab1
03-29-2009, 06:09 PM
I've found that going very heavy and lower in reps helps bring up my numbers if they are plateauing. Getting my bench up translates to being me able to use more weight on other push and fly exercises which in turn leads to more size.