PDA

View Full Version : How do you compute your daily protein intake?

axioma
01-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I am just wondering how you guys compute your protein intake? I have always figured per lbs of LEAN muscle, not per lbs of total weight. How about you guys?

I read where Rambod initially called for the lean bodyweight computation, however some of his recent stuff has just said "per lb of bodyweight".

Also, what are your grams per lb. for maintenance, precontest, and growth, if they are different?

Side note: I think we Masters are kinda shy about starting threads. We are very respectful of others time and opinions. However, I really want to know more about the opinions, strategies, etc. here, so I might start posting more threads. I promise not to get offended if I get no response and when they are dead...RIP. 'Nuff said.

joedemarco
01-18-2011, 04:31 PM
I am just wondering how you guys compute your protein intake? I have always figured per lbs of LEAN muscle, not per lbs of total weight. How about you guys?

I read where Rambod initially called for the lean bodyweight computation, however some of his recent stuff has just said "per lb of bodyweight".

Also, what are your grams per lb. for maintenance, precontest, and growth, if they are different?

Side note: I think we Masters are kinda shy about starting threads. We are very respectful of others time and opinions. However, I really want to know more about the opinions, strategies, etc. here, so I might start posting more threads. I promise not to get offended if I get no response and when they are dead...RIP. 'Nuff said.

As of recently, I have been using 2x my lean body mass. I will keep it in that range when I start contest prep.

Sledge
01-18-2011, 04:40 PM
I've always gone by lean body weight.

Hammerfit
01-18-2011, 04:46 PM

I'll bite Mat, cause this is a great topic and there is NO right answer. The answer is different for everyone and what Hany refers to is a rule of thumb, I guarantee Phil's diet is not calculated from either rule.

It's all a matter of trial and error and I tell all my clients when I first put them on a nutrition plan that is just that...a plan, an educated guess if you will.
I do alot of research and study nutrition because I firmly believe that to put on quality lean muscle mass, 80% of it is done in the kitchen.

I get this all the time in the gym, "I work just as hard as you, I even copy what you do but I can't make gains, you must be on something!" My standard answer is yes, "I'm on chicken, fish, red meat and egg whites!"

There are two things I have learned about my body and I think anyone over 40-45 years old with slower metabolisms will fall into this category. Carbs are not my friend and lots of protein is. That's not to say I don't eat carbs, I do, but the timing of my carbs has to be regulated, most of them come after waking from fasting for 8 hours for fuel, then I will get some slow and fast digesting carbs before and after training and thats about it.

Back to your question: for me; it's as much as I can digest and sometimes I will aid the digestion with ezymes to keep bloat in check. For meal #1 it's almost always around 50-70 grams from omega 3 eggs and egg whites After that I try and get in at least 6 chicken breast spread out through the next 4 meals, add to that some 54 gram whey shakes or egg white shakes. Then if I had a hard training day, I will gulp down 2 cups of egg whites before I go to sleep.

That being said at 230-240lbs off season I try and hit 350-400 grams a day if I'm training, if I'm not training I will come down to 250-300, sometimes even less depending on my activity.

And here's my scientific super duper secret formula for calculating this. I do one thing, look in the mirror and see how it effects me and adjust from there.
I guess my point to all this dribble is there is no scientific way or formula to calculate macros for the masses. It is a crap shot at best. The guys that have been at it the longest are the best at it. Just ask George how it went last year with Branch, even the best don't always get it right.

mrky03
01-18-2011, 05:07 PM
What he said! lol Seriously I put the highest priority on quality protein, I try to calculate it on 50% of my total caloric intake.

I end up using a lot of whey isolate or most resently hydrolyzed whey particularly first thing in the morning pre and post cardio and again in the afternoon pre and post workout.

KevinCouch
01-18-2011, 05:44 PM
For me it's not an exact science either. I eat about 6 meals per day including hydro whey shakes. And I take in about as much as my body will digest each meal, so probably between 250 to 300 grams per day. This calculates to about 40% of my calories from protein during the offseason and closer to 50% precontest when carbs are dropped down. Trial and error because we all metabolize our protein and carbs differently.

bernard
01-18-2011, 06:04 PM
its important to only count the protein from high quality sources. dont count the protein in your oats...i believe chris aceto said that.

s2h
01-18-2011, 08:52 PM
i calaulate it by lean body wieght...as one of us over 40..i find good fats do much better than carbs..in my prep i only eat carbs in meal 1 and then post workout..i bump my fats alot..i also go by feel and how my body reacts to get it down...i also bloat alot so enzymes play a big role with this..just gotta stay away from the ones with sugar in them...

Rick Prince
01-18-2011, 08:54 PM

I have always calculated my macros on total body weight. My protein intake does not vary much throughout the year. If I begin to drop lean mass during contest prep, I may increase my daily protein intake by adding a shake or increasing my lean protein by 1 oz per meal. Since the first week of September my daily protein intake has ranged from 390g to 450g daily. My lean protein is weighed after cooking.

I'm also carb sensitive and carbs are around 150 g on weight training days and 100 g on the two cardio only days. Fat intake during my off-season is ranging from 90-110 g daily.

I don't post much, but if a question is asked, I will be glad to share my experiences and what has worked for me.

mr intensity
01-18-2011, 09:01 PM
a 200 lbs guy needs 200 x 1.5 = 300grams of protien
a 225 lbs guy needs 225 x 1.5 = 338grams of protein
a 250 lbs guy needs 250 x 1.5 = 376 grams of protien

so for creating every 25 lbs of new muscle 38 grams of protein must be added...lol,
it does`nt have to be so tight,
in my opinion its all good 50-65-grams of protein/meal have at-least 6 meals feel hungry add another meal, still hungry add another meal and so on.
just my brology.

axioma
01-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Great posts! Not to sound like a former Montessori (everyone is a winner) educator, but I agree. See if I can sum this up for ME, based on what I am hearing....
1. A Lean Muscle Calculation is probably a good place to start. If you are growing then you are doing it on less calories, tit for tat. If this calculation works for you then you are also going to SAVE some $$$! and some wear and tear on the digestive tract, lol.
2. Total Mass Calculation is great for those who are genetically predisposed to process more protein. It is convenient, simple and can be adjusted easily. Also, it is a logical next step for those who do LMC and have plateaued.
3. You can throw the above two out the window...it is all so individual, got to see what works...age (as Hammer alluded to), sex, and metabolic set-points are all variables in the ability to process protein.
4. Don't figure in "ancillary" protein from carb sources...this is icing on the cake and will be out the window when you really start getting contest ready anyway.

I greatly appreciate the input, guys. I would like to hear input from any of the female masters here as well.

I think WE all probably see the wisdom in each other's posts and, if nothing else, it clarifies our individual approaches. However, this kind of information is invaluable to the new members who might not venture to ask!

freebirdmac
01-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Well, from my vast 3 years of experience.. Lol! I "feel" better taking in 130g from meat/fish sources. Primarily chicken. I get another 30g from ancillary sources. Eating more doesn't seem to do anything for me. So the multiplication factor or use of lbm or body weight doesn't mean much when I work out my diet.

I know I am not exceptional, so I wonder about you guys and your carb sensitivities. Since I can easily handle 150-200+ carbs I wonder if you've "sensitized" your self to carbs during contest prep. And after prep didn't give your bodies a chance to readapt. I've seen this with women who under ate for years. But once they stopped freaking out over the bloat and thinking it was fat, their bodies adjusted. They found they could be lean and have lots of carbs too.

axioma
01-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Good point. I think Kevin is a good example of someone who eased his way into and out of contest carb suppression in a way that benefitted him. Thanks.

KevinCouch
01-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Well, from my vast 3 years of experience.. Lol! I "feel" better taking in 130g from meat/fish sources. Primarily chicken. I get another 30g from ancillary sources. Eating more doesn't seem to do anything for me. So the multiplication factor or use of lbm or body weight doesn't mean much when I work out my diet.

I know I am not exceptional, so I wonder about you guys and your carb sensitivities. Since I can easily handle 150-200+ carbs I wonder if you've "sensitized" your self to carbs during contest prep. And after prep didn't give your bodies a chance to readapt. I've seen this with women who under ate for years. But once they stopped freaking out over the bloat and thinking it was fat, their bodies adjusted. They found they could be lean and have lots of carbs too.

Yes this is true. Men and women who stay on a caloric deficient diet for periods of time will run the risk of slowing down their metabolism and efficiency of absorbing carbs because the body has to adapt to its lower intake of nutrients. We ALL have experienced the bloating and rapid weight gains after contests because our digestive tracts aren't ready for the increased calories.

I eat a good amount of carbs offseason and precontest. Probably 400 grams or more per day offseason and never drop below 250 grams per day until last week when I deplete. My body utilizes carbs very efficiently and I cannot function on a low carb diet. I think we learn this over time what our own bodies needs to function and grow. I believe though we are all in pretty much agreement that we need at least 1.25 to 1.5 grams of high quality protein per LBM to buid muscle.

axioma
01-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Speaking of the devil.....

Hammerfit
01-19-2011, 10:14 AM
I have always calculated my macros on total body weight. My protein intake does not vary much throughout the year. If I begin to drop lean mass during contest prep, I may increase my daily protein intake by adding a shake or increasing my lean protein by 1 oz per meal. Since the first week of September my daily protein intake has ranged from 390g to 450g daily. My lean protein is weighed after cooking.

I'm also carb sensitive and carbs are around 150 g on weight training days and 100 g on the two cardio only days. Fat intake during my off-season is ranging from 90-110 g daily.

I don't post much, but if a question is asked, I will be glad to share my experiences and what has worked for me.

intake has ranged from 390g to 450g daily
Holy Smokes Rick you must have put on some mass this offseason. I know the last time we spoke at AL State that was your goal. What are you up to now?
This forum needs you to post more often with your competition experience and great success others will feed off your input.

Amazon Doll
01-19-2011, 11:14 AM
I weigh 170 and my lean body mass is between 130 -135 lbs. I try and get at least 2 grams of protein per lb of LBM.

I try and eat as much as possible without getting fat, I do not want to slow my metabolism down. Right now I have been eating around 3000 calories per day and my weigh is holding steady. I figure I am keeping my metabolism stoked so that when I do diet, I am not having to go crazy low with calories.

Right now I am trying to get in 80-100 grams of health fats per day. Carbs end up being around 200 gms depending on how much I trained that day.

axioma
01-19-2011, 11:28 AM
holy smokes rick you must have put on some mass this offseason. I know the last time we spoke at al state that was your goal. What are you up to now?
This forum needs you to post more often with your competition experience and great success others will feed off your input.
^^^^100%

Rick Prince
01-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Holy Smokes Rick you must have put on some mass this offseason. I know the last time we spoke at AL State that was your goal. What are you up to now?

Hammer, I was up to 208 ugly lbs, but reduced carbs a little and have been at 200-202lbs for the past month.
On Dec. 18 my LBM was 190lbs & BF was 6.78%.
Last week, my daily avgs. were 3500 kcal, 456 p, 134 c, 99 f.
I would like to weigh in at around 190. IMO, I need to add a few more lbs of muscle as a cushion for whatever is lost during contest prep.

Hammerfit
01-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Hammer, I was up to 208 ugly lbs, but reduced carbs a little and have been at 200-202lbs for the past month.
On Dec. 18 my LBM was 190lbs & BF was 6.78%.
Last week, my daily avgs. were 3500 kcal, 456 p, 134 c, 99 f.
I would like to weigh in at around 190. IMO, I need to add a few more lbs of muscle as a cushion for whatever is lost during contest prep.

Sounds good Rick, so you must have added what 10lb of muscle since I saw you last? Great Off Season!

axioma
01-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Lots of great info here. I am going to throw this out there...I am going to periodically start a thread regarding different aspects of diet and supplementation. Here's why:
1. While most of us post this info in our respective threads, it would be nice to have a "quick and easy" reference to the info in a thread.
2. Get some of the fence sitters to jump in with info.
3. We build a RX Masters compilation of info regarding OUR views on protein intake, preworkout supplementation, diet, etc. I think we are very much a cohesive bunch here, just look at how similiar our music, movies, hobbies, etc. I want to know what you take and why!
4. After awhile, here to pitt maybe, we compile the threads in a sticky "book" with the threads being chapters.
Just thinking here...

HeavyDutyGuy
02-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Lots of great info here. I am going to throw this out there...I am going to periodically start a thread regarding different aspects of diet and supplementation. Here's why:
1. While most of us post this info in our respective threads, it would be nice to have a "quick and easy" reference to the info in a thread.
2. Get some of the fence sitters to jump in with info.
3. We build a RX Masters compilation of info regarding OUR views on protein intake, preworkout supplementation, diet, etc. I think we are very much a cohesive bunch here, just look at how similiar our music, movies, hobbies, etc. I want to know what you take and why!
4. After awhile, here to pitt maybe, we compile the threads in a sticky "book" with the threads being chapters.
Just thinking here...
Good idea!!

axioma
02-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks, and if RX is smart they will start recognizing the respect that this forum has and promote it a bit more. We are THE masters forum.

Mac
02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks, and if RX is smart they will start recognizing the respect that this forum has and promote it a bit more. We are THE masters forum.

They won't.

The young kids these days think they know it all, whether it's bodybuilding or life in general. Fact is, after many years have gone by they LEARN things, and they end up here.

Most think we're old school BBs that just want to recapture their youth. Oh shit, they're right.

Hammerfit
02-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Interesting comments on this subject by George Farah in the MD special edition, because of his kidney situation he takes in only 100g protein a day but supplements w BCAAs!

axioma
02-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Is the farah comments on md online?

I really think the protein intake that is suggested is sometimes tied to the supplement industry.

I am taking in 200-300 daily and getting good growth. Albeit, it is muscle memory rebound to an extent, but it is still working. I think the bcaa supplementation is key to optimizing pre- intra- and postworkout gains.

KevinCouch
02-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Interesting comments on this subject by George Farah in the MD special edition, because of his kidney situation he takes in only 100g protein a day but supplements w BCAAs!

Well, sorta true. George told me in the offseason to keep his kidneys safe, he takes in about 100 grams of protein thru foods then 100 grams of protein thru Hydro Whey powder. Then we he begins precontest diet he bumps it up to 200 grams of protein thru food and 100 grams of protein thru Hydro Whey. You heard it from me, direct source.

Hammerfit
02-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Is the farah comments on md online?

I really think the protein intake that is suggested is sometimes tied to the supplement industry.

I am taking in 200-300 daily and getting good growth. Albeit, it is muscle memory rebound to an extent, but it is still working. I think the bcaa supplementation is key to optimizing pre- intra- and postworkout gains.

no, its in his section of the mag

Hammerfit
02-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Well, sorta true. George told me in the offseason to keep his kidneys safe, he takes in about 100 grams of protein thru foods then 100 grams of protein thru Hydro Whey powder. Then we he begins precontest diet he bumps it up to 200 grams of protein thru food and 100 grams of protein thru Hydro Whey. You heard it from me, direct source.

good stuff Kev

Hammerfit
02-06-2011, 12:17 PM

You had me doubting myself, I don't want to give anyone I respect bad pub, so I went back and checked the article again. I have big time respect for this guy, it just makes you wonder about some of the stuff that gets printed in the mags articles. Here is a direct quote from the March issue of MD. His section is called, IFBB Pro Guru By George Farah, "I will keep my protein intake as low as 100 grams, and never higher than 125 grams daily in the off-season, but will make sure to add 5 grams of (BCAAs) to each one of my seven meals."

KevinCouch
02-06-2011, 12:29 PM
You had me doubting myself, I don't want to give anyone I respect bad pub, so I went back and checked the article again. I have big time respect for this guy, it just makes you wonder about some of the stuff that gets printed in the mags articles. Here is a direct quote from the March issue of MD. His section is called, IFBB Pro Guru By George Farah, "I will keep my protein intake as low as 100 grams, and never higher than 125 grams daily in the off-season, but will make sure to add 5 grams of (BCAAs) to each one of my seven meals."

Well, it is true because he has only 1 kidney he protects it by eating a lot lower protein than most BB in the offseason. The difference is that he told me that Hydro whey is what he used to supplement his protein (which contains the BCAAs) and he wrote that he takes BCAAs. He probably does a little of both so truth is somewhere in between because we as bodybuilders experiment with our protein and carb intake sometimes daily. There you have it big Bro!!! I'm sure Don Long is protecting his kidneys right now with lower protein intake and he still looks great!!! Saw him at Masters this year. Me and Don competed in our first show together back in 1991 at the DC Grand Prix and he was a lightheavy!!!

KevinCouch
02-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Also, he was under contract with ON at the time he told me about his protein intake now that he is no longer with ON (hydro whey) he moved on to another source of protein BCAA to supplement his food....just a thought.

PDL
02-06-2011, 12:53 PM
I just go by what's in each meal.40-70g protein per meal

axioma
02-07-2011, 09:53 AM
That is why I get back to the original premise of the thread: Lean muscle computation or total weight? I really think that if you are taking in quality sources and maximizing absorption, then you need MUCH less than many of the mags, gurus (who are tied directly to the supp industry) say you need.

Mac
02-07-2011, 01:34 PM
That is why I get back to the original premise of the thread: Lean muscle computation or total weight? I really think that if you are taking in quality sources and maximizing absorption, then you need MUCH less than many of the mags, gurus (who are tied directly to the supp industry) say you need.

Based on lean muscle, not total weight. Body fat doesn't need the protein.

A guy with 170 LBM at 180lbs vs. one at the same LBM but at 220 lbs. doesn't need any more protein then the 180lb. guy.

axioma
02-07-2011, 02:48 PM
^^exactly! Was kind of trying to get that point across with the thread. There seems to be a "can't get too much protein" philosophy that can really cause some damage, as well as hamper your dieting.

KyMuscle
02-07-2011, 04:43 PM
^^exactly! Was kind of trying to get that point across with the thread. There seems to be a "can't get too much protein" philosophy that can really cause some damage, as well as hamper your dieting.

Agreed! The super-high protein intake philosophy is pushed by the supplement manufacturers and fueled by trainees who don't know any better.

The body can absorb/utilize only so much.

People don't realize that excessive protein intake is converted to glucose.

And while the common line is that healthy kidneys are not damaged by excessive amounts of protein, you have to wonder if guys taking in 400+ grams of protein daily (just read in another thread about a guy consuming 700+ grams of protein daily!!) are setting themselves up for kidney problems.

Marijan Lipsinic
02-07-2011, 05:36 PM
For me it's not an exact science either. I eat about 6 meals per day including hydro whey shakes. And I take in about as much as my body will digest each meal, so probably between 250 to 300 grams per day. This calculates to about 40% of my calories from protein during the offseason and closer to 50% precontest when carbs are dropped down. Trial and error because we all metabolize our protein and carbs differently.

Agreed!

Marijan Lipsinic
02-07-2011, 05:37 PM

Agreed! The super-high protein intake philosophy is pushed by the supplement manufacturers and fueled by trainees who don't know any better.

And while the common line is that healthy kidneys are not damaged by excessive amounts of protein, you have to wonder if guys taking in 400+ grams of protein daily (just read in another thread about a guy consuming 700+ grams of protein daily!!) are setting themselves up for kidney problems.

You are absolutely right!

KevinCouch
02-07-2011, 05:38 PM

My Rant! Sorry in Advance.
Yea I read that post too. 700 grams! IMO to be in this for the long run you have to do everything in moderation and not overdue it or your body will fail you. That means training, eating, AAS, ect. You've seen BB come up on the scene IFBB and even NPC seemingly out of nowhere and destroy their competition but MANY of these guys go away as quickly as they stormed the scene because their bodies could not keep that going long before health problems came up.

We on this Masters Forum are in it for life so we take our health in great consideration with everything we do. Hell, we always nursing injuries! Our organs won't last forever and the more stress you put on them thru shitloads of protein and AAS the faster they will break down. Our health has to be the most important thing with our forum brothers because we all have families who want us to be around a long time and grow old together. Personally I am pushing my 44 year old body as hard as I can eating about 250 to 270 grams of protein per day and it's plenty for me to grow on. I know my physical limitations and I'm not willing to do the things required to gain 20-30 pounds muscle per year.

The offseason diet George gave was a very simple diet.
about 250 grams Protein per Day
about 320-350 grams of complex carbs and simple carbs as well
Spread over 5 to 6 meals per day.

George has never believed that extremely high protein intake would help you build more muscle. Not talkin about his kidney problem I mean to his clients needs. To wrap this Rant up, everyone of us have very different metabolisms and digestives needs. So there has to be trial and error with you own body to see what works for you. If some guys can tolerate 500 grams of protein per day and grow...that's great. But they must know that they are risking future health problems by doing so. I WILL NOT risk it. My family means too much to me. I cannot tolerate more than 40-50 grams of high quality protein each meal at 5 to 6 meals per day.

Question is to ALL.
How far do you want take it?
What are you willing to risk to do it?

axioma
02-08-2011, 09:44 AM
You are absolutely right!

Glad you posted, you have been missed. We all know someone who has had to reevalute their bbing plans because of kidney issues. While it may be a genetic predisposition or related to other factors, who wants to have to use hindsight and ask, "could I have gotten by on less?"

Those who use PED's sometime make the mistake that the increased efficiency in absorbing and utilizing protein means take even more. Everyone has a different threshold and, as Kevin alluded to, you must learn your body. How much do I need to grow?

While keto is an efficient way to utilize fat for energy, the increased demands on the kidneys because of the predominance of protein in the diet, makes it potentially dangerous for those with a predisposition to "leak" protein. IMO, if you go keto, do it for short cycles and keep an eye on kidney related blood values.

axioma
02-08-2011, 09:55 AM
One thing that I try to get across to the younger guys is, when considering protein supplementation: You are what you eat....and You get what you pay for!

The better companies realized 8 years ago that it was about Delivery, Delivery, Delivery! If you are not utilizing it, it doesn't matter the cost or the bells and whistles...you are going to tax your body with the process of eliminating the crap!

Just started using a protein blend called: Promasil made by Rivalus out of Canada. I did some research, actually know a few of their sponsored athletes, and have been impressed, by their R & D AND their marketing. They are targeting drug tested athletes, and as such, pay close attention to their ingredients and...delivery!

So far I like the taste, mixability and the way I absorb it. It is pricey, negotiating with them now for competitive pricing, but it MAY be worth it. I am curious if anyone else has tried it and check out their site: www.rivalus.net (http://www.rivalus.net)

Hammerfit
02-08-2011, 10:05 AM
My Rant! Sorry in Advance.
Yea I read that post too. 700 grams! IMO to be in this for the long run you have to do everything in moderation and not overdue it or your body will fail you. That means training, eating, AAS, ect. You've seen BB come up on the scene IFBB and even NPC seemingly out of nowhere and destroy their competition but MANY of these guys go away as quickly as they stormed the scene because their bodies could not keep that going long before health problems came up.

We on this Masters Forum are in it for life so we take our health in great consideration with everything we do. Hell, we always nursing injuries! Our organs won't last forever and the more stress you put on them thru shitloads of protein and AAS the faster they will break down. Our health has to be the most important thing with our forum brothers because we all have families who want us to be around a long time and grow old together. Personally I am pushing my 44 year old body as hard as I can eating about 250 to 270 grams of protein per day and it's plenty for me to grow on. I know my physical limitations and I'm not willing to do the things required to gain 20-30 pounds muscle per year.

The offseason diet George gave was a very simple diet.
about 250 grams Protein per Day
about 320-350 grams of complex carbs and simple carbs as well
Spread over 5 to 6 meals per day.

George has never believed that extremely high protein intake would help you build more muscle. Not talkin about his kidney problem I mean to his clients needs. To wrap this Rant up, everyone of us have very different metabolisms and digestives needs. So there has to be trial and error with you own body to see what works for you. If some guys can tolerate 500 grams of protein per day and grow...that's great. But they must know that they are risking future health problems by doing so. I WILL NOT risk it. My family means too much to me. I cannot tolerate more than 40-50 grams of high quality protein each meal at 5 to 6 meals per day.

Question is to ALL.
How far do you want take it?
What are you willing to risk to do it?

Great thread guys, I think the message here is as always on almost everything related to BB. What's good for one is not necessarily good for another. There are too many "uneducated gurus" out there who read something out of a mag or book and think that is the golden rule. I for one don't think there is a rule, it is all trial and error and you have to find out what works best for you.

KevinCouch
02-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Great thread guys, I think the message here is as always on almost everything related to BB. What's good for one is not necessarily good for another. There are too many "uneducated gurus" out there who read something out of a mag or book and think that is the golden rule. I for one don't think there is a rule, it is all trial and error and you have to find out what works best for you.

Agreed. Sorry for my rant above. Gettin cranky in my old age..;)

miamibodybuilder
02-21-2011, 11:36 PM
i dont know what everyone else does, but i always used 2x my LBM. that has seemed to work very well for me the last couple of years but it's like i always say what works for me may not work for everyone else. try 2x LBM and see how your body reacts to it and then just adjust from there, but remember not to go too low though, we bodybuilders need high protein so keep up there man. good luck

Mike Conley
02-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Ya know I will admit it was a trial and error thing for me. I tried the multiplying by LBM and then manipulated it. I am around 190 pounds and currently take in about 230-250 g a day and I am cutting so I think it's whatever works for that particular person.

Baldiewonkanobi
02-22-2011, 06:39 AM
This is an exact science. Never vary, never experiment. The mirror lies.

Computing your protein Net Uptake Factor Factoid (NUFF):

LBM X rolls of Charmin used in a week

divide by 7

X a factor A. .87576 for real food sourced protein (.78843 if fried) B. .66660 if soy based C. .87222 if whey sourced (.9765 if whey is infrahydozelized)

= one NUFF

X .85 then add 1gm. per protein Net Uptake Factor Factoid

NUFF said.......

Baldie

freebirdmac
02-22-2011, 08:20 AM
This is an exact science. Never vary, never experiment. The mirror lies.

Computing your protein Net Uptake Factor Factoid (NUFF):

LBM X rolls of Charmin used in a week

divide by 7

X a factor A. .87576 for real food sourced protein (.78843 if fried) B. .66660 if soy based C. .87222 if whey sourced (.9765 if whey is infrahydozelized)

= one NUFF

X .85 then add 1gm. per protein Net Uptake Factor Factoid

NUFF said.......

Baldie

Would those be regular rolls or the big rolls? For women it should be LBM X (rolls of Charmin - 10).

:D

axioma
02-22-2011, 08:36 AM
You know.....Baldie....This was serious stuff here....Repeat: WAS! Trying to go beyond the Brohism and you reduce it to POOPOO! I think some marrow broke loose and entered your blood stream, lol.

axioma
02-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Would those be regular rolls or the big rolls? For women it should be LBM X (rolls of Charmin - 10).

:D

That's it.....egg him on....like he NEEDS encouragement?:dunno:

Baldiewonkanobi
02-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Getting serious (ouch) I do not compute my daily protein intake. I strive for 300 grams per day (any source) and most often fail until crunch time...90 days out from comp. then its force feed time.

Baldie

gman
02-22-2011, 10:25 AM
I am embarrassed at my lbm amount, so I try to eat protein based on my total weight!

IL WNBF Pro
03-01-2011, 12:33 AM
Interesting replies....I have done the ultra high protein stuff (my highest was 375gms/day.....back when I competed).....never did the low protein intake. I love protein...dont think I have ever gone below 35% of my total caloric intake. I like the 1.5gm/lb of lean calculation.

Right now my days are like this:

Off day's, Low day Training - 285gms P, 100gm C, 40gm F

High carb day day - 255gm P, 225gm C, 35gm F

I am sitting about 212 with some decent definition (veins in abs but who the F knows what bodyfat %). I do the HRT thing....but only do 100mg of Cyp / week per Dr orders...no desire to compete again, so not really going to go on ultra high doses (although I am breaking out like a mo-fo for some damn reason)

axioma
03-01-2011, 08:37 AM
You definately look like you could compete in a minute! Great mass. Glad you are back.

IL WNBF Pro
03-01-2011, 10:40 AM
You definately look like you could compete in a minute! Great mass. Glad you are back.

Thanks....good to be back. I forgot to mention this in the above, but my Dr said that the breaking out was possibly due to too much protein. Ummm...that is something I have NEVER heard of. Even when doing 375gm/day as a natural I never broke out like this. In any event, I take in about 35 - 45gm per meal....upon waking I always have 1scp of protein before walking dogs and getting my ass on stair stepper.