PDA

View Full Version : BIG DAVE SMITH'S CONTEST JOURNAL... w/ DAVE PALUMBO IN CHARGE

Big Dave Smith
01-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Hello all. Some of you know me. Most of you don't. I've done three of the Bros/Pros lifting challenges. I've been competing since 18, both successfully and unsuccessfully. Over the years, I've learned that the traditional way of bodybuilding didn't work well for me. After years of volume training, I trained with Dante Trudel using his DC training and have had fantastic results. I also realized that the traditional carb style contest diet screwed with my blood sugar, hunger, and so on... which is why I've decided to pair up with Dave P. I know he's the guy to get super freaky shredded, especially with my body type. Getting super hard is one thing that's held me back. NOT THIS YEAR!

This past Saturday, I was 16 weeks out from my first contest of the year. I'll be doing the NPC Pittsburgh and Junior USA. In October of 2010, I completely tore my pec and pec tendon. I had surgery December of 2010. I competed almost a year to the day of my tear at the NJ Gold's Classic.

Stats:
5'9
270lbs (starting weight)

In this journal, I'll update when I can. I'll include pics, videos, thoughts, ramblings, non-sense, and everything inbetween. Enclosed are pics from my last show. I weighed in at 250lbs. My goal is to be 10lbs harder and 10lbs more muscular.

Special thanks to...
Dante Trudel
Scott Stevenson for all his help in the past
True Protein
Shelby Starnes and John Meadows (for constantly making me think and learn, even though you've never directly given me advice)
...and of course, Dave Palumbo for all the bros/pros events and the Iron Asylum video we did at Bev's.

Looking forward to a great year! If you have any questions, comments, or ramblings... feel free to post up here.

http://www.njnpc.com/2010/Shows/GoldsClassic/Gallery/OpenPre/images/image/2010GoldsClassic_0687.jpg

http://www.njnpc.com/2010/Shows/GoldsClassic/Gallery/OpenPre/images/image/2010GoldsClassic_0690.jpg

http://www.njnpc.com/2010/Shows/GoldsClassic/Gallery/OpenPre/images/image/2010GoldsClassic_0692.jpg

Big Dave Smith
01-18-2011, 10:27 PM
16 weeks out @ 270lbs...

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2566990440067153618zhPHJs

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2017581580067153618uEdiLF

Big Dave Smith
01-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Woke up today feeling like a truck ran over me. I've been playing with volume training due to several reasons. I still keep my logbook, but spread my training over the course of a Mon-Fri schedule due to time. My chest is sore from Monday and my back is sore from yesterday. Of course today has to be legs. Definitely need some Buzz Saw to get through this one!

This past year I've been focusing more on rowing movements, hammer strength pullovers, and John Meadow's stretchers for my back. My pec tendon still gets funky, along with some left elbow tendonitis. I was chinning 90lbs around my waist, but the tendon has been a little tender lately. The stretching it takes to do "width" movements make me too nervous to do them heavily.

Chest days are high rep rest pause sets with drop sets and volume. I'm going to baby this body part for a while. Nothing is below 10 reps unless it's the end of a rest-pause.

I hope I make it into BJJ on Thursday...

grapefruit
01-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Nice pics. Your enthusiasm is contagious! You are already lean with over 4 months to go. This is going to be fun to follow :hmn:

barbellman
01-20-2011, 08:32 AM
chest looks really odd from that tear but we'll have to see once you are shredded

back needs to come up a ton

Iron152
01-20-2011, 10:27 AM
good stuff Dave!

Big Dave Smith
01-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Update

So far the meals have been very easy. My weight is down about 10lbs and I feel fantastic. I must have been holding a lot of bloat. It's weird... when I was barely eating and on a shitty schedule, I was never hungry for food. Now I eat and am hungry an hour later. I literally could have eaten 8-9 times yesterday if I were allowed to.

Thanks for the comments guys. Barbellman, I have a lot of things to bring up. I'm not oblivious to that. I'm doing my best and having fun. I've actually changed my approach to back training... and I'm hoping this makes a difference. I tend to "grow into a show" if things are done right. At 16 weeks out last year, I was a fat, white marshmellow. If I can make half the gains I did last year, I'll be very happy with where I stand this year.

Will post pics this weekend.

Jeremy, one of these days I'm coming to one of those eating contests. If I can bring TooPowerful4U with me, you guys might get really nervous. Grapefruit has seen me at the sushi buffett. The owner of the restaurant HATES ME. She watches me take ALL of their sashimi, then pile roles on top of rolls down the isle (several times)... while giving me the stink eye. She yelled at my waiter and hostess last time to make sure I was charged extra if I left any food!

barbellman
01-21-2011, 02:23 PM
You look like one of those guys who could benefit from alot higher reps in bring your back up. I've seen you train back, and it was all heavy heavy with decently low reps.

Maybe some 15-20rep stuff is in order?

Thickness is there, just needs to "POP"

GirlyMuscle
01-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Wow...they don't call you "Big Dave" for nuthin!

Scott Stevenson
01-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Dave,

Kick some ass this year, my man! I'll be following along. :)

As far as the sushi buffet, you reminded me of this - funny as hell:

w2mTX09cTHg

-Scott

P.S. You're welcome and thanks for the "special thanks," too, Dave.

AVBG
01-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Cant wait to see the end result, you'll thrive doing this type of diet

Big Dave Smith
01-22-2011, 01:18 AM
You look like one of those guys who could benefit from alot higher reps in bring your back up. I've seen you train back, and it was all heavy heavy with decently low reps.

Maybe some 15-20rep stuff is in order?

Thickness is there, just needs to "POP"

ACTUALLY, I agree. I used to train heavier... lower rep ranges. I have been trying higher repitition sets, really trying to choose exercises that fill my lats with blood and exercises that fit ME and not others. I've been doing 12-20 rep rows, LOTS of hammer strength pullovers, John Meadows style "stretchers", and taking a lot from John and Shelby's videos on YouTube... trying to focus on starting the movements with my lats instead of my arms.

GirlyMuscle: I'd like to become "FREAK INSANO Dave" in a few years. Just have to work harder and smarter.

Scott: Again, thanks for EVERYTHING! I really appreciate everything you've done for me. Like I said, you're one of the few guys I consider a "legit" guru. One of the best teachers in the sport... and yes... I do think there will be a point where I get stopped at a buffett. Four of us from work all went the the Brazilian Steak House. The filet and chicken would come around and we'd literally take all the meat. Est. 4-5lbs of meat over the course of 2 hours. Sushi is 10x better though.

Scott Stevenson
01-23-2011, 02:31 AM
Scott: Again, thanks for EVERYTHING! I really appreciate everything you've done for me. Like I said, you're one of the few guys I consider a "legit" guru. One of the best teachers in the sport... and yes... I do think there will be a point where I get stopped at a buffett. Four of us from work all went the the Brazilian Steak House. The filet and chicken would come around and we'd literally take all the meat. Est. 4-5lbs of meat over the course of 2 hours. Sushi is 10x better though.

Thanks, Bud. FWIW, I do sit in the lotus position when writing client emails... LOL

I love the Brazilian steak houses, man, but you're right - sushi just can't be beat.

-S

Big Dave Smith
01-26-2011, 10:03 PM
http://sports.webshots.com/album/579632102uYrDTl

About 14.5 weeks out. These were taken in my cold dungeon of a basement.

Starting weight- 270
Weight- 260

Feeling very good in the gym. My elbows, shoulders, and knees have felt "less creeky"... which I think is from the healthy fats in my diet (or a great placebo effect).

Working on doing a few extra things with arms areas of my back and chest. Like I said, I have a feeling I'll be growing into this show. My strength is going up FAST. Using weights I haven't used since fall.

HAVEN'T been squatting or deadlifting. I pulled out my back a few weeks ago. Was doing barbell rows with 410. On the second rep, I heard "pop POP pop" on my lefts side. It's been uncomfortable since, so I altered a few things about my training. I can miss a deadlift, but I get lost without squats. I've been using my inversion table everyday and getting adjusted from the chiropractor I work for a few times a week.

I've added Glute Ham raises into my hamstring routine. They hit me in an area that I can't describe. Definitely a staple from now on.

Diabetic Muscle
01-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Have you ever done belt squats? or Box squats? Might give you some other ways to work around the back some.

Big Dave Smith
01-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Have you ever done belt squats? or Box squats? Might give you some other ways to work around the back some.

Never did belt squats. Box squats, if done with a bar on my back, will cause a lot of pressure in my injured area. I'd do the belt squats if LA Fitness had a decent place for me to do them. Yesterday I did hams, then Leg Presses/Walking Lunges/Extensions. I HATE extensions! I never do them.

Big Dave Smith
01-30-2011, 01:50 PM
2 weeks into the diet. 258lbs this AM.

Cheat meal tonight. Pics to come!

bigoso
01-31-2011, 04:01 PM
how much cardio are you doing now? I'm guessing you won SHW's at your last show?

Big Dave Smith
01-31-2011, 11:53 PM
Right now I'm doing 20 minutes post workout. I won at my last show, but lost the overall.

Big Dave Smith
02-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Pics. Weighed in at 258 in these. We'll see what this Monday brings in terms of results.

Logbook is still going up, which is great!

bigoso
02-04-2011, 05:01 AM
looking good man....I remember you from your teen days back on muscle mayhem....you definetly have pro-level size now

JacksonRose
02-04-2011, 06:01 AM
I hope I make it into BJJ on Thursday...

Is BJJ code for sponsorship? Nick Trigidli style?

Big Dave Smith
02-04-2011, 07:09 AM
Thanks bigoso. I don't post over on Mayhem any more. I appreciate the kind words, but I have a long way to go! I'm just hoping to get a good placing at JR USA and win the Pittsburgh overall. Philadelphia doesn't look like they're having a show this year... I wanted to shoot for that as well.

Made it to Jiu-Jitsu yesterday. I miss rolling no-gi style. I swear some of the students wear smaller gi's and belts to prevent you from gripping. I'm a freakin A-5! Went through 3 opponents yesterday. The first two were easy, so I took it easy. The final was a legit blue belt around 180lbs. Things went well for the first 3 minutes, but the final 2 minutes I defended an armbar continuously to the point where my left forearm is swollen. I'll defend a submission like my life's depending on it until I feel the point of no return!

Arms and abs today with a much needed rest over the weekend.

Big Dave Smith
02-09-2011, 09:33 PM
13 weeks out. Strength numbers are going up. Bodyfat is coming down, but I'm starting to feel flatter... which I don't mind. The more flat I get, the better I feel about my results. My last pics were taken closer to my cheat meal. These were taken about 48 hours after my cheat meal, so I definitely lack some detail.

Things keep going in the right direction. 12 weeks out this coming weekend!

Big Dave Smith
02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Cardio has been bumped up to 6 x 25min per week.

Woke up looking "dry" today. Felt really good. Today was a leg day.

Glute Ham Raises- 6 x 12-15 reps
Seated Hams- 2 sets rest-pause style (total "6" sets)
Squats- 3 x 10 reps only coming up 3/4 of the way with 335
Sissy Squats on Smith Machine- 5 x 12 reps
Leg Press Calf Raises- 9 total sets

These were the hacks I did today. I used 25lb plates intead of the risers. I'll slowly creep up in weight. They FRIED my quads!

YouTube - Quad Exercise - "Smith Sissy Hack Squats"

Cardio today was Jiu-Jitsu. Probably a little more than needed, but it works!

BIGANT
02-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Looking big and hard Dave, see you are giving it 110%!

Big Dave Smith
02-21-2011, 01:16 AM
It's been a minute since I've posted.

Weight is down to 255lbs. I feel great about the way things are going with this prep. Everything is on 100%.

I haven't been able to get pictures this past week due to some personal issues, but training is on check. I'll get somebody at the gym to snap a few tomorrow hopefully. My cheat meal was an epic failure. I went way too soon after eating a meal on my diet... and had no appetite for the sushi bar. I tapped out after 2 plates.

Went to BJJ tonight. Went over guillotine variations, a few sweeps, and took WAYYYY too much Gerainamo from True Protein before I went. I took 2 scoops at 6:20pm and still feel buzzed at 1:15am.

BigAnt, thanks for the comment. I've seen you in the gym plenty of times. Are you still in the PA area?

Big Dave Smith
02-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Today marks 10 weeks 5 days out. Weight is 255lbs. Feeling flat today. I had my cheat meal BEFORE I went to BJJ last night. I then trained HEAVY back today, so most of the fullness is gone for sure.

I haven't done ANY deadlifts from the floor since bros vs pros. I've done a few days of light stiff legs to stretch out my hamstrings, but today was the first day I said "fuck it, I want to pull some shit!". I wound up easily getting 585 for 4 with a double overhand grip, straps, and no belt.

Today's strength was great. My logbook went up on every single movement, which is vital to my training. I never get anywhere without my log. I also tried True Protein's CHOCAMINE POWDER in my shake this morning with their java mocha whey isolate. I had about 1g, then downed a zero calorie monster before hitting the gym. HOLY SHIT. I really, really like the gerainamo and chocamine. Very clean feeling stimulants. I didn't feel the jitters typically associated with too much caffeine.

Now I need to think of some decent posing music. Something hard rock'ish. Suggestions?

GENESIS
02-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Good changes so far. Will be following along.

"Rodz"
02-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Looking good man, take care of that back, i did the same on barbell rows, had to go to the chiropractor for a few months

ManimalPatB
02-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Looking good pimp!!! Def going to be following along.

Big Dave Smith
02-22-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm sitting here in bed not ready to go to the gym quite yet. I need a hot shower and some aleeve.

Yesterday's back workout was...
Deadlift from floor
med. grip overhand chins with zero momentum
Hammer Strength low row
Assisted Chins done with a palms facing eachother grip, angling my body to mimic the same position as Mountaindog's stretchers...
DB Rows supported by an incline bench
Rack Chins

Rope Curls
Single Arm Cable Curls

ALL MOVEMENTS DONE WITHIN THE PAST MONTH, WEIGHTS OR REPS WENT UP.
I feel like my back is dead. I'm going straight to the hot tub at the gym today after I do chest/triceps.

I want to video my pullup version of stretchers and my way of doing Glute Ham Raises at LA Fitness with limited equipment.

Big Dave Smith
03-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Was sick this past week with what I think was AIDS. I'm better now. My stomach was totally obliterated from Tuesday to Saturday. I went back to the diet on Sunday and my strength is surprisingly still going up!

Weight today is 252. 9 weeks 5 days out from the NPC Pittsburgh. 11 weeks 5 days out from the NPC Junior USA.

I still have some catching up to do with being sick. I was literally in bed for two straight days where I ate nothing. I then probably squeezed in a thousand calories a day on Thursday and Friday. Saturday was my first normal day back. I spent most of these days on the toilet every 20-30 minutes!

Everything's back to going great. Had an amazing chest/triceps/abs session today.

Sunday night's BJJ class went very well. I'm progressing at a very, very fast rate. I tapped everybody I faced. My knee got funky (popped), so I had to chill out at the end. Should be fine for leg day. I'll still work legs hard on Wednesday, but I'll take it easy and stick to higher reps and slower negatives to avoid meniscus issues.

breck
03-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Looking great man. Should be peeled come show time. How ya feeling?

Scott Stevenson
03-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Hope you're kickin' ass today, bud!

-S

Big Dave Smith
03-20-2011, 09:40 PM
It's been a while since I've updated. My weight is hovering around 245. I'm 6 weeks 6 days out from the Pitt, 8 weeks six days from JR USA. Things are going very smoothly. I've got the blinders on and I'm going head first into this.

I'll get somebody to take some locker room shots tomorrow and I'll post them up. I have to send some to Dave tomorrow anway.

I'll be sure to update this more frequently, as the shows are coming close. Thanks for the support everybody!

PS- I most likely going to Pittsburgh and Charleston alone, so if anybody else is doing the same, hit me up.

Big Dave Smith
03-29-2011, 12:56 PM
A few random shots. 6 weeks out in these.

I literally spend most of my time alone. Getting somebody to take pictures that aren't blurry, off-center, or just fucked up is a serious challenge. Even the pics I send to Dave Palumbo every week are always screwed up by whatever gym rat I ask to snap the photos in the locker room.

Mike Conley
03-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Damn bro.

BryanB
03-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Looking good man. Legs are HUGE!

Big Dave Smith
03-30-2011, 11:06 PM
YouTube - 6 for 3.MOV

Mr.Bones
03-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Looking huge as huge bro.

Before you hurt your chest, was it a good bodypart?

rehman23
05-12-2011, 02:52 PM
hi dave
what was your diet macros like with the protein and fats?
thanks

Kirck
05-12-2011, 04:26 PM
and cardio? how much cardio do you do?