PDA

View Full Version : Returning to competition as a Masters competitor

MrAust92
01-20-2011, 06:47 AM
I received a PM from Axioma that prompted me to post a few pics. he actually complemented me on the pic in my avi and I had to fess up that it was taken in my 20's (Im 43 now and have less hair :) )

I recently made a return to competitive BBing after a 6 year hiatus to concentrate on work and family commitments and a major shoulder recon surgery in 2009. I am 43 yo, been training 25 years, competing 18 years and compete with NABBA who are strong here in Australia. These days Im in the Master 0/40 class.

I have got the bug again and now my kids are a bit older I have more time to devote to pursuing competition so I will be dropping in here more often. I will attempt to contribute to the debate although Im a little rusty.

I thought I might post up a couple of pics of my recent attempt at Masters level competition in the O/40 class at the NABBA Australian Nationals a couple of months ago.

All in all I was happy with the condition I achieved although I was extremely flat on the day and couldnt get a pump (experienced competitors will know that "oh fuck I cant feel my muscles contract when I flex" feeling).

If I could do that weekend again i would:

1: load up harder (I was over-cautious and didnt eat enough as I knew I was very lean and didnt want to blow it, end result was ripped but flat).

2: diuretics - I want to do without them next time, I was feeling quite confident with my condition on Saturday but the combination of inadequate carb-up followed by a diuretic means I pissed out any fullness I had. I have done OK without diuretics in the past, albeit a long time ago. I know Ken "Skip" Hill trades on his reputation of getting athletes full and dry without any diuretics at all so it is do-able.

Live and learn eh?

My plan is to have a decent break and use 2011 to focus on some weak points, regain some overall mass and see if I can remain injury free and present an improved package. I went into this contest prep straight off the rehab from my shoulder recon so I didnt get an off season in there, something I aim to fix next time.

After many years away and a shitty run with injuries the past few years I was just ecstatic to make it through a 16 week prep without injuring anything and get into reasonable condition.

Any feedback welcome.

:p

MrAust92
01-20-2011, 06:50 AM
A couple more.........

Mac
01-20-2011, 06:54 AM
Welcome to the RX Masters. How did you place in the show?

Looking good for an ol' man!

freebirdmac
01-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Dude has some wheels!!!

Welcome :)

MrAust92
01-20-2011, 07:22 AM
Thank you.

I placed 4th out of 6 guys in what I thought was a very strong line-up, the winner had previously held an IFBB pro card and handed it back a few years ago. 1st and 2nd were beyond me but I think I pushed hard for 3rd place.

Like I said, I was overjoyed just to make it back after a bad run with injuries so I am happy with no complaints.

Life is too short to worry too much about placings, I am just enjoying the ride.

:)

Hammerfit
01-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Thank you.

I placed 4th out of 6 guys in what I thought was a very strong line-up, the winner had previously held an IFBB pro card and handed it back a few years ago. 1st and 2nd were beyond me but I think I pushed hard for 3rd place.

Like I said, I was overjoyed just to make it back after a bad run with injuries so I am happy with no complaints.

Life is too short to worry too much about placings, I am just enjoying the ride.

Look Great. Awesome conditioning. Great attitude

axioma
01-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Glad you took the "prompting"! Look forward to your contributions and observations.

KevinCouch
01-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Welcome mraustin92. Great conditioning. I was 43 last year when I got the bug to compete again after 15 year layoff. Like you, I felt like something was missing all those years.

What are plans for upcoming shows?

AnglicanBeachParty
01-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Great post ... good conditioning!

I am looking forward to following your thread.

KyMuscle
01-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Great to see yet another experienced 40+ bodybuilder here.

Terrific physique and, as others have said, great attitude.

Looking forward to your contributions here.

Sledge
01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Nice hair cut.

caribeman
01-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Thank you.

I placed 4th out of 6 guys in what I thought was a very strong line-up, the winner had previously held an IFBB pro card and handed it back a few years ago. :)

Hmm, he wasnt about 3 feet tall, blonde and with a huge tatoo on his face, was he? LOL

Welcome!

GerryT
01-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Look terrific. Best of luck in your return to the stage. You should get noticed for sure!

HeavyDutyGuy
01-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Welcome. I agree on the diuretics and eating more----its so hard to hit that peak perfectly, still we keep trying!!

mrky03
01-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Great conditioning, especially after such a lengthy layoff. No small feat!

Sunnyday
01-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Welcome!

MrAust92
01-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Thank you for all the positive feedback, its nice to feel welcome.

KevinCouch - my plan at this stage is to make 2011 a year for grwoing and making some gains, my next show is planned for May 2012.

Caribeman - I actually know the 3 foot dude with the facial tat. I have met Lee a few times, he is a funny guy and can be fun to hang out with but not someone I would aspire to emulate, Anyway, he still has ambitions as an IFBB pro and last time I saw him he looked like he had the goods to back it up.

Sledge - you are just jealous you big poof.

leanbody
01-22-2011, 08:42 PM
great shape, matre. Nice pics from your comp - post some regular non comp shots too.
good for you for heading back into competition. How old are the kids now? it will be fun to se what changes you can achieve at 43. I started at 47 and am continually amazed that I can change my physique at this fukkin old age! LOL

MrAust92
01-23-2011, 02:41 AM
great shape, matre. Nice pics from your comp - post some regular non comp shots too.
good for you for heading back into competition. How old are the kids now? it will be fun to se what changes you can achieve at 43. I started at 47 and am continually amazed that I can change my physique at this fukkin old age! LOL
Thank you.

My son is 10 and my little princess is about to turn 5.

Here is the lad with big Ronnie and both of them on a recent family holiday to Bali.

s2h
01-23-2011, 02:49 AM
nice pic..ronnies a kool cat..kids look to be having a ball..

AVBG
01-23-2011, 03:13 AM
Hey MrA92, like I told you at the show you did yourself, family and friends proud..now where are you currently at with the training and your eating? You still limiting your carbs around the workout? How many cals you punching in, do alyou do any off season cardio?

MrAust92
01-23-2011, 11:01 PM
nice pic..ronnies a kool cat..kids look to be having a ball..

A couple more of my 2 ratbags.......

MrAust92
01-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Hey MrA92, like I told you at the show you did yourself, family and friends proud..now where are you currently at with the training and your eating? You still limiting your carbs around the workout? How many cals you punching in, do alyou do any off season cardio?

Hi mate, was great to catch up at the show, you sure ask a lot of questions LOL.

Now where are you currently at with the training and your eating? Training hard and slowly putting some weight back on, contest weight was 102-103 kg, currently 108-110 kg. Training 4 days PW, experimenting with volume vs frequency and giving my body a rest from the "supps" side of things at present.

You still limiting your carbs around the workout? Yes mate, generally I punch in 100-150 gm around the workout depending on what b/part I am training, the other 5-6 meals each day are just PF and greens. I have been having HUGE refeeds on Sundays though :yep:

How many cals you punching in? I dont count cals mate but my macros on training days are about 420P, 180-200F and 100-150C. On days I dont train I drop the carbs out.

Do you do any off season cardio? Yep, I do 30 min PWO every training day and another 30 on Sunday before I start my refeed day. I find this helps keep my insulin sensitivity high and at 43 it cant be a bad thing for my cardiac health.

We are heading down to Melbourne in March for the IFBB Pro Show and FitX so it will be good to catch up.

MA92

leanbody
01-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Thank you.

My son is 10 and my little princess is about to turn 5.

Here is the lad with big Ronnie and both of them on a recent family holiday to Bali.

Hey man - great pics! I took my son(12) to a local show last year and tried to get him to stand next to Phil Heath (who is about the nicest guy in the world!) and he was so intimidated by his physique he would'nt! LOL - so i got one instead! hahahaha - It's great having kids and i think BB models really good behavior for them interms of exercise, dedication and especially DIET! So many fat kids in this generation who just play video games 24/7. Anyways - great to read your log!

s2h
01-24-2011, 02:04 PM
A couple more of my 2 ratbags.......like the snake...

leanbody
01-25-2011, 08:48 PM
like the snake...

No fear at that age! i have a pic of my daughter squealing with delight holding one of those gigantic cockroaches (3") at the zoo! yuck

mkris7
02-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Congratulation!!!!! Great Job!!..I am in a similar boat and ready to start my 16 week prep for over 40's. Your post was great inspiration! No excuses :)

Nice color. Dream tan? or something else?

Blessings
Michael

fatbackgoal
02-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Welcome to the masters section. Good stuff and best of luck with your prep!