PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Workout Supplementation Strategy?

axioma
01-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Ok, let's keep the ball rolling with Mining the Masters for Nuggets of Knowledge, lol.

What is your favorite supplementation strategy for pre-, intra- and post workout?
If you are an old school diehard, then it is probably a meal pre-, water intra- and a meal post. However, like me, most of you like a few bells and whistles now and again. I (and those likeminded) want to know if you prefer some stimulant, maize, glucose polymers...add extra arginine to the proprietary hooha...whatever.

I tend to favor different strategies depending on goals and time of year.

PRE-: Stimulant: MRI: Blackpowder, Gaspari SuperPump, BioRhythm Arnge Krush (mainly during an endurance phase)
Non-stimulant: BioRhythm: 02 Positive (using now)
I will typically add extra arginine powder (1-2 grams) to dose.

INTRA-: Typically water, however if I am working a really big bodypart, or feeling winded, I will use MST: RPG w/a scoop of Species: Carbolyze and sip.

POST: RPG w/Carbolyze (precontest, eventually dropping Carbolyze) or BioRhythm: AfterGlow.

However, I pay close attention to what you guys like and I believe that you really can't use the same product back to back, got to keep the body guessing...Look forward to hearing about some secret weapons!

KevinCouch
01-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Ok, I'll bite.

Offseason:
Pre-workout: 4 NO2 tabs (AKG wth no creatine) have elevated creatinine levels so no creatine for me.
Also, 16 oz old fashion gatoraid during workout keeps my blood sugar from dropping and energy level up.
2 lipo 6 capules by Nutrix. (around 200mg caffeine)

Post-Workout: Another 16 oz gatoraid with hydro whey protein mixed right after workouot then I eat an hour or so later.

Pre-contest
The only thing that changes for pre-workout is drop the gatoraid and replace with water and post workout I reduce 16 oz gatoraid with protein powder to only 8 oz gatoraid/8 oz water mix.

* Use to use Superpump 250 but don't use anymore because creatine. Plus, it "TORE" my stomach up! Did not digest well for me.

Also, I'll pop a couple of lipo 6 every morning to wake up. I do NOT drink coffee. can't stand the taste.

Mac
01-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Pre-work out :

• Beta-Alanine
• Citrulline Malate
• ALA
• Acetyl L-Carnitine

HumaPro pre and post workout.

• Creatine after workout

Hammerfit
01-20-2011, 03:54 PM
1/2 bottle of poweraide zero mixed w 1/2 gallon of water and thats only on big body part days Always consume min 1/2 gallon water while training

my pre training shake may have a small amount of blueberries or strawberries in it with 57 grams of whey isolate or 2 cups of egg whites

Post shake is always egg whites or whey w water soon as I get home I eat real food asap

mrky03
01-20-2011, 04:54 PM
30 min pre workout 19g Quake 10.0 pre workout supp.

Pre workout 30g hydrolyzed whey/30g waxy maize

Post workout 30g hydrolyzed whey/30g waxy maize/5g creatine

1 hr post 30g hydrolyzed whey/3 rice cakes

2 hrs post 30g protein from egg whites, chicken breast or whey isolate/30 carbs from rice or rice cakes.

Bryan Hildebrand
01-20-2011, 05:03 PM
starbucks grande drip and 2 puffs from my inhaler.

I have a hard time finding supplements that important, pre-workout, besides food.

freebirdmac
01-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Food. Before and after. The after part seems to go until bedtime :rolleyes:

I do take creatine ethyl ester (1/2 rec dose), beta alanine (1/2 rec dose), plus one scoop of both glutamine and BCAAs before and after with my meals. I mix in in my sweet potato. I know the creatine and ba give me a subtle workout boost. The BCAAs, while unnecessary, make the other powders taste better. Interestingly, creatine helped squash my menopause night sweats and helped my IBS. I dunno if glutamine helps with recovery, but it too is known to help digestive issues.

Water only during workouts.

KyMuscle
01-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Meal 1 1/2 hours pre-workout---- either eggs (2 whole, 5 whites), oatmeal (3/4 cup before cooking) and fruit (3/4 cup blackberries) or a protein shake (2 scoops Beverly Ultimate Muscle protein, 3/4 cup oatmeal, 1 tablespoon almond butter.)

1 serving Crealyze 45 minutes pre-workout

Jacked or Uplift just before if I feel it's needed.

Water during (BCAAs when dieting)

Meal or protein shake after.

Rick Prince
01-20-2011, 09:08 PM
I train right after work and below is typical for me pre, intra & post workout.

Pre-workout: Meal - 7 oz of chicken, 1/4 cup of almonds, 2 rice cakes (off-season only) upon arriving at the gym. Drink VPX NO Shotgun or Controlled Labs White Flood and glutamine.

Intra-workout: water

Post-workout: 50-60 grams of protein isolate and glutamine before leaving the gym. One hour later, 50-60 grams of protein from egg whites and 1/4-1/3 cup of almonds.

axioma
01-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Food. Before and after. The after part seems to go until bedtime :rolleyes:

I do take creatine ethyl ester (1/2 rec dose), beta alanine (1/2 rec dose), plus one scoop of both glutamine and BCAAs before and after with my meals. I mix in in my sweet potato. I know the creatine and ba give me a subtle workout boost. The BCAAs, while unnecessary, make the other powders taste better. Interestingly, creatine helped squash my menopause night sweats and helped my IBS. I dunno if glutamine helps with recovery, but it too is known to help digestive issues.

Water only during workouts.

^^^Great "off label" application of creatine!!!

axioma
01-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Just as I thought...everything under the sun. Looks like we are pretty basic, overall, with our supps, using them "when necessary" for a boost and not a crutch. The post workout regimen seems to be pretty standard. Look forward to more posts on this one...as it could easily be updated as you guys try a new product or change your strategy. KyMuscle, Mac and I are playing with our chem sets in the corner...while the rest line up in descending order of "old schoolness" from Atilla on down....All GOOD! Have a great one.

joedemarco
01-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Here's my current off season plan:

Protein shake with as much fruit, yogurt, etc. that I can fit into blender. I do this about 45 minutes before. Right before I leave for the gym I take 2 caffeine tabs and then take a cup of coffee into the gym with me.

During workout, after I finish my coffee, I will have waxymaize with protein.

Right after I train, I come home and make a big peanut butter and jelly sandwich and wash it down with another large protein shake. I wait about an hour and have a normal meal.

During contest prep, it's the same except I only eat half of the peanut butter and jelly sandwich (kidding!).

axioma
01-21-2011, 10:22 AM
^^ more old school...PBJ's....take note kids!

Hammerfit
01-21-2011, 11:03 AM
^^ more old school...PBJ's....take note kids!

OMG! Im going to make one right now!

joedemarco
01-21-2011, 11:10 AM
OMG! Im going to make one right now!

Sometimes after I train, I eat TWO! :yep:

KevinCouch
01-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Sometimes after I train, I eat TWO! :yep:

PB and J...so that's your secret to inhuman strength? :dunno:

joedemarco
01-21-2011, 12:40 PM
PB and J...so that's your secret to inhuman strength? :dunno:

Well, if you want to know the truth, the PB&J only accounts for 50% of my strength. I attribute the other 50% of my strength gains to the large doses of Gamma Radiation that I received by accident during a research experiment that went wrong...ever since then, whenever I GET ANGRY.....

KevinCouch
01-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Well, if you want to know the truth, the PB&J only accounts for 50% of my strength. I attribute the other 50% of my strength gains to the large doses of Gamma Radiation that I received by accident during a research experiment that went wrong...ever since then, whenever I GET ANGRY.....

that explains alot..."You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" :no:

KevinCouch
01-21-2011, 12:48 PM
We cannot drift away from the true reason this thread was started. No cross-talking or BS just the facts.

axioma
01-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Kevin....the voice of reason....thanks.

s2h
01-21-2011, 08:11 PM
pre-w/o..whole foods meal 1 hour before..30 minutes prior..2 scoops concrete

intra..water w/ scivation watermelon

1 1/2 hours later..whole foods meal w/ carbs rice or potatoes

MrAust92
01-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Mine is pretty basic.

I have a busy working life and young kids so I train at 05.00.

Pre- Im up at 4.30 and dont eat before I train, I just down a pre-workout formula.(no you wont go "catabolic" and shrivel away to nothing) Usually I use a stim-free one although lately I have been using that 1MR stuff which really give me a kick. I also drink a strong cup of brewed coffee on the 15 min drive to the gym.

Intra - I just use ALRI BCAAs dissolved in 2 litres of water, lately I have been using 6 scoops which is double the suggested dose and Im liking my recovery. Its a bit pricey but it tastes nice.....(pathetic I know).

Post - This is my PWO shake and also my 1st meal as I have to get showered and get my ass to work, 2 scoops WPI, 2 packets flavoured instant oatmeal, 1 large banana, throw in some creatine and ice cubes and blend the hell out of it. I get this down before I walk out the gym door and start the rest of the day. I have tried all the different liquid carb sources but prefer this PWO mix to anything else, I just seem to get a better "load" from it.

:)

freebirdmac
01-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Mine is pretty basic.

I have a busy working life and young kids so I train at 05.00.

Pre- Im up at 4.30 and dont eat before I train, I just down a pre-workout formula.(no you wont go "catabolic" and shrivel away to nothing) Usually I use a stim-free one although lately I have been using that 1MR stuff which really give me a kick. I also drink a strong cup of brewed coffee on the 15 min drive to the gym.

Intra - I just use ALRI BCAAs dissolved in 2 litres of water, lately I have been using 6 scoops which is double the suggested dose and Im liking my recovery. Its a bit pricey but it tastes nice.....(pathetic I know).

Post - This is my PWO shake and also my 1st meal as I have to get showered and get my ass to work, 2 scoops WPI, 2 packets flavoured instant oatmeal, 1 large banana, throw in some creatine and ice cubes and blend the hell out of it. I get this down before I walk out the gym door and start the rest of the day. I have tried all the different liquid carb sources but prefer this PWO mix to anything else, I just seem to get a better "load" from it.

:)

Do you take a blender with you to the gym?

MrAust92
01-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Do you take a blender with you to the gym?
Sorry, I didnt explain that very well.

I make it up the night before and keep it in the fridge at the gym. At first I was worried the oats would "thicken up" but if you blend the hell out of it they dont settle and the shake actually tastes realy good.

I use banana flavoured WPI, cinnanmon and brown sugar flavoured oats and a ripe banana.

:yep:

Rick Prince
01-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Sorry, I didnt explain that very well.

I make it up the night before and keep it in the fridge at the gym. At first I was worried the oats would "thicken up" but if you blend the hell out of it they dont settle and the shake actually tastes realy good.

I use banana flavoured WPI, cinnanmon and brown sugar flavoured oats and a ripe banana.

:yep:

MrAust, you and others may do this as well, but I blend my oats into powder form in a dry blender before adding water, protein, etc. This results in less oats settling in the bottom and/or sticking to the side of the blender jar.

axioma
01-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Update: Trying out the new SuperPump Max. Talked a little in my thread...too soon to give a up or down thumb...
Did taste good (fruit punch)
Didn't cause any stomach bloat or nausea
Was able to sleep, however I think the "up" lasts 4-6 hours before competely leaving system...
Pump was great, however I was doing legs, high reps, and I tend to really engorge when working legs anyway.
Keep you posted.

IzlamikPork
01-28-2011, 02:49 AM
Before morning cardio I take a couple BetaStax, then 45 min on stairmaster.

Around 4 in the afternoon I do a NutriPure, then hit the gym around 6pm. I usually have a doppio from Starbucks just before the gym.

Immed after workout I have Myozene. Then a small meal 45 min later.

All those I get from Prosource.net

I used to use arginine, creatine, glutamine, etc, but found it bloated my midsection too much.

axioma
01-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Posted my thoughts/results on using SuperPump Max in journal thread. Not really digging it thus far. I really like arginine, especially when I hit it before bed and pre-workout. SuperPump has not arginine, instead going the glyco-carn direction. I also get irritable on it...maybe just me.

This a.m. I used the following: Applied Nutriceutical RPM x 3 and BioRhythm Big Blue x 4. This gave me a solid 5 grams arginine w/good delivery, decent caffiene (using a cacoa source), alanine...etc. It felt great. I have used this stack in the past, and just started trying some powders again because some clients raved on this, or a company sent me this....Maybe I respond better to pills? I will do this same stack Monday prior to legs.

axioma
02-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Last night I used BioRhythm 02Positive. Probably the best non-stimulant preworkout formula I have found. It was really amazing! I had a great workout and slept great, too. I took it at 4p.m. with no problems.
www.biorhythm-ads.com (http://www.biorhythm-ads.com/) check it out. I use all kinds of stuff, but I keep going back to this brand, pre and post workout. I can't handle the superpump max. giving it away.

axioma
02-02-2011, 04:39 PM
I don't know if anyone is familiar with Allmax Nutrition, a Canadian company. I just got contacted by their rep about carrying it in my store.
It looks very, very good. They are getting all of their encapsulation done by the patent holders of various compounds, rather than doing an in-house proprietary blend...which I am usually very skeptical of.

I will try just a 1/4 serving of their Razor8 preworkout. They said this late in the day, I would get plenty of kick, so we will see.

Their Isoflex looks very good, as well. If any of you have ANY feelings about this product please let me know, here or by PM. I'll let you know how it works.

Rick Prince
02-02-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't know if anyone is familiar with Allmax Nutrition, a Canadian company. I just got contacted by their rep about carrying it in my store.
It looks very, very good. They are getting all of their encapsulation done by the patent holders of various compounds, rather than doing an in-house proprietary blend...which I am usually very skeptical of.

I will try just a 1/4 serving of their Razor8 preworkout. They said this late in the day, I would get plenty of kick, so we will see.

Their Isoflex looks very good, as well. If any of you have ANY feelings about this product please let me know, here or by PM. I'll let you know how it works.

I have used AllMax Nutrition Isoflex protein. It is one of the better tasting isolates on the market and is on my list of choices when I need to purchase a protein powder. I have not used any of the other AllMax products.

axioma
02-03-2011, 11:20 AM
I am liking it. I don't think they were joking about the Razor8. I DID feel 1/4 serving. Not crazy, mind you, but I can imagine what a full serve would do. I am glad I followed their advice, as I was able to sleep.

I also took the BCAA powder, not sure of the name....really liked the taste and delivery.

This is the kind of info I need. Look, I think people sometimes don't like to buy from someone they know...don't want to give them the business. Luckily, I have found that friends I have made here don't think that way.

I want to be able to get what you like, preferably from a company that I carry, lol, and get it to you at the best price WITH the support of other Masters athletes to give their input and recommendations.

I hope you guys continue to check out the site and facebook pages...we are working really hard on this thing...and whether you belive it or not, not to make money (though it would be nice to at least pay for this), but to have something of REAL value to our friends at the end of the day. Damn, I'm blogging here...sorry.

Shadow
02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Here's my current off season plan:

Protein shake with as much fruit, yogurt, etc. that I can fit into blender. I do this about 45 minutes before. Right before I leave for the gym I take 2 caffeine tabs and then take a cup of coffee into the gym with me.

During workout, after I finish my coffee, I will have waxymaize with protein.

Right after I train, I come home and make a big peanut butter and jelly sandwich and wash it down with another large protein shake. I wait about an hour and have a normal meal.

During contest prep, it's the same except I only eat half of the peanut butter and jelly sandwich (kidding!).

What kind of bread do you use? I might steal this. When I finally am off-season again, lol.

Conrad
02-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Pre: IGF-DES, with some 20gm protien shake
During: 15 gm bcaa
30 min later: oats, whey
2 horus later: next meal

Been using this for a very along time with great success

axioma
02-04-2011, 03:05 PM

Looks good.
Explain the DES form of IGF.
What does the muscle replenisher consist of?\

Thanks for posting.

"Rodz"
02-06-2011, 02:54 PM

Nice and simple. I like the NTBM Muscle Replenisher as well, Whey iso, creatine, BCAA's, taurine all in one mix. Usually after that ill have one more whey iso and fats shake then bed, i have a hard time getting to sleep with solid food in me

Conrad
02-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Looks good.
Explain the DES form of IGF.
What does the muscle replenisher consist of?

Thanks for posting.
Sure. I am a firm believer in the use of peps depending on an individuals goals and current stats. You can compare the IGF-DES to IGF-lr3 but stronger. The dose that suits me well is 50 mcg bilaterally pre workout. The pumps are incredible and I can def tell potentcy of the product.

As far as the Muscle Replenisher, it has everything I need in one scoop: Whey Iso, Maltodextrin, BCAA, Creatine, Taurine. Beats the heck out of buying three different products to get the same mix.

fatbackgoal
02-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I have a hard time eating after a workout so drinking something is a lot easier. Used to take in a protein shake but over the last couple of months have switched to muscle replenisher. It is real easy to mix and has a good flavor(lemonade). Also it doesn't seem to fill me up to much after drinking.