PDA

View Full Version : how do you start?

gman
01-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Have been lifting for a few years, mainly for bodybuilding, took a few months off where I only went 2x a week, and lost a lot of strength, and now have gotten serious again. After attending a strongman competition at my home gym (Brute Strength in Norfolk VA), I am excited about trying strongman.

The problem is, I am not strong enough! I can barely bench 200, shoulder press 145, etc. For example, in the meet, the novices had a medley where they had to do a circus db of 175lbs with each arm, axle shoulder press of about 200 lbs, and beer keg press of 125lbs (I am guessing at the weights, but believe them to be close). I could not come close to doing any of these just once.

Should I start trying to train in events, or should I just work on basic core lifts until my strength improves?

The guys at the gym meet one or two evenings to do event training, but I am embarrassed to even go.

BEAST MODE
01-25-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm sure Rob will chime in on this one. But honestly bro, I would encourage you to just go in there and do it. Give it a try. Those guys aren't going to care what kind of weights you're putting up. They will probably just encourage you more to keep at it. It's addicting...I wish I had a place to train close to home, but I'll have to buy my own equipment instead. I trained w/ Rob last spring and I loved it! Just go for it man...get in there and pick up heavy stuff, then put it down!

robert da strongman
01-25-2011, 11:13 AM
work the basics....squat, deadlift and overhead press. training at brute strength gym gives you access to the equipment then get in there and learn the events. train farmers, yoke, stones and tire flips.

also look into master comps and check around the forum. ask questions...

and remember it is not about what someone else is lifting. it is about you giving all you have and leaving nothing.

gman
01-25-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm sure Rob will chime in on this one. But honestly bro, I would encourage you to just go in there and do it. Give it a try. Those guys aren't going to care what kind of weights you're putting up. They will probably just encourage you more to keep at it. It's addicting...I wish I had a place to train close to home, but I'll have to buy my own equipment instead. I trained w/ Rob last spring and I loved it! Just go for it man...get in there and pick up heavy stuff, then put it down!

Thanks, Rich. It just looked like so much fun when I watched the contest, lots of cameraderie, pulling for each other, etc. Nice people, and reminds me of what bodybuilding was probably like in the mid '60's

work the basics....squat, deadlift and overhead press. training at brute strength gym gives you access to the equipment then get in there and learn the events. train farmers, yoke, stones and tire flips.

also look into master comps and check around the forum. ask questions...

and remember it is not about what someone else is lifting. it is about you giving all you have and leaving nothing.

That's cool Robert, I will talk to the guys to see exactly when they train. It sounds like fun.

What scares me is I tried to pick up an implement the other day (you stand inside it and pick it up by handles, sort of a rectangular farmer's walk), and I couldn't even budge it, even with no weight on it! I know I can do it and get stronger, but just getting the minimum amount of strength to even start is kind of scary!

It's sort of like my stretching excuse: I would love to stretch, but am not flexible enough to do it!

gman
01-25-2011, 11:25 AM
the implement is the first thing the guy did in this video.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1509736743285

robert da strongman
01-25-2011, 11:28 AM
ah...frame carry. well you just have to practice. deads will help that.

BEAST MODE
01-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Deads and work your grip strength too Mike!

I noticed the camaraderie too when I watched Rob's comp a couple years ago. Plus if you watch any WSM, you see it there too.

gman
01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
I am just so blessed to have that as my home gym, what a waste not to be a strongman if you have a facility like that 20 minutes from home!

robert da strongman
01-25-2011, 11:35 AM
I am just so blessed to have that as my home gym, what a waste not to be a strongman if you have a facility like that 20 minutes from home!

then get to work! always room for another strongman here

gman
01-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Don't know if I would be ready in time, but the next event scheduled there is a highland games on May 14 with the following events scheduled:

1. weight over bar
2. Carry AND Load Medley
3. Caber Toss
4. Wheelbarrow Push/ chain drag

sounds like a blast! 3 weight classes, up to 200, 201-250, >250, plus masters over 40

robert da strongman
01-25-2011, 12:17 PM
what are the weights for the implements?

gman
01-25-2011, 12:27 PM
WEIGHT OVER BAR: Starting Height 8 foot.
Female athletes throw 28 lb. weight
MASTERS/LW/ throws 42 lb weight
MW throws 56 lb weight
HW throws 56 lb. weight

CARRY AND LOAD MEDLEY: Competitors have 75 seconds to Carry 3 implements and load.
WOMEN (100 keg, 50 keg, 100 sandbag)
MASTERS/LIGHTWEIGHT (180 keg, 154 keg, 200 sandbag)
MIDDLEWEIGHT/HEAVYWEIGHT (200 keg, 180 keg, 200 sandbag) 1st Keg carried 20 feet loaded onto 18” high power stairs 2nd Keg carried 30 feet loaded onto 36” high power stairs 3rd Sandbag carried 40 feet loaded onto 54” high power stairs

CABER TOSS: Weight of Cabers to be announced at a later Date

WHEELBARROW PUSH AND CHAIN DRAG: Competitors have 75 seconds to push wheelbarrow 75’ and drag chain 50’.
WOMEN: Wheelbarrow 300LB / Chain 259 LBS
MASTERS/LIGHTWEIGHT: Wheelbarrow 500 lbs / Chain 500 lbs
MIDDLEWEIGHT/HEAVYWEIGHT: Wheelbarrow 700lbs / Chain 500lb

Feel nauseous just reading it!

BEAST MODE
01-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Looks like fun! Caber toss would be interesting! Haven't seen that one done in a while...

gman
01-25-2011, 12:36 PM
To be honest, my girlfriend, Paula, wants me to get bigger, so that is a part of my motivation too...sick of dieting constantly. i would rather just eat lots of protein and healthy shit 90% of the time, and not worry about the six-pack! Now I need to figure out the proper weight/bf% for my body. Right now I am 208 and 23 1/2 % bf, so am kind of scared to try to grow!

BEAST MODE
01-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Mike I think I've offered before, but I'd be willing to work w/ you on some nutrition/training stuff if you're interested. I have a learned a lot the past year and am more than willing to share and pass it on to others.

robert da strongman
01-25-2011, 01:28 PM
WEIGHT OVER BAR: Starting Height 8 foot.
Female athletes throw 28 lb. weight
MASTERS/LW/ throws 42 lb weight
MW throws 56 lb weight
HW throws 56 lb. weight

CARRY AND LOAD MEDLEY: Competitors have 75 seconds to Carry 3 implements and load.
WOMEN (100 keg, 50 keg, 100 sandbag)
MASTERS/LIGHTWEIGHT (180 keg, 154 keg, 200 sandbag)
MIDDLEWEIGHT/HEAVYWEIGHT (200 keg, 180 keg, 200 sandbag) 1st Keg carried 20 feet loaded onto 18” high power stairs 2nd Keg carried 30 feet loaded onto 36” high power stairs 3rd Sandbag carried 40 feet loaded onto 54” high power stairs

CABER TOSS: Weight of Cabers to be announced at a later Date

WHEELBARROW PUSH AND CHAIN DRAG: Competitors have 75 seconds to push wheelbarrow 75’ and drag chain 50’.
WOMEN: Wheelbarrow 300LB / Chain 259 LBS
MASTERS/LIGHTWEIGHT: Wheelbarrow 500 lbs / Chain 500 lbs
MIDDLEWEIGHT/HEAVYWEIGHT: Wheelbarrow 700lbs / Chain 500lb

Feel nauseous just reading it!

that is really easy even for a newbie. the masters weights are reasonable. i say practice and go for it.

To be honest, my girlfriend, Paula, wants me to get bigger, so that is a part of my motivation too...sick of dieting constantly. i would rather just eat lots of protein and healthy shit 90% of the time, and not worry about the six-pack! Now I need to figure out the proper weight/bf% for my body. Right now I am 208 and 23 1/2 % bf, so am kind of scared to try to grow!

um...really? first off quit thinking like a bb'er and start thinking like a strongman...eat clean healthy food. keep fat in the diet, will help the joints. keep the protein high and use carbs to fuel training. and do not be afraid to reward yourself with a nasty cheat meal.

gman
01-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Exactly, Robert...I want to get bigger but not fatter, though. 24% is very high already. Hopefully lifting heavy and eating clean, large amounts of healthy stuff, with cheats thrown in will put on more muscle than fat, so I hope to end up 10-15lbs heavier and at a lower bf% than now!

robert da strongman
01-25-2011, 03:32 PM
cardio....keep up on the cardio

GameofInches
01-25-2011, 03:51 PM
My .02 on this is to keep training your basic lifts (ie. squat, bench, deads, overhead press) and try and get in 2-3 events during event training (either on its own day or 1 per day with your gym lifts).

The best thing you can do is to just keep training and bangining away. I woulnd't worry too much about your BW. Just eat a lot of clean food and train. And wherever your BW falls, it's fine.

The weights for that highland games is not too bad, just keep training and see what your strenth levels are at when the time for the comp comes around. Also, you are near Brute Strength Gym...Problem solved. Get down there and try to meet a couple guys there that train strongman and join them. I am sure they will help you out.

Goodluck and post anymore specific questions if you have any!

fudo myo
01-25-2011, 05:33 PM
cardio....keep up on the cardio
this is not only important for your body fat concern, but adding a bunch of muscle and then trying to do a medly will wind you more than you can imagine. good luck/have fun!

robert da strongman
01-25-2011, 06:54 PM
this is not only important for your body fat concern, but adding a bunch of muscle and then trying to do a medly will wind you more than you can imagine. good luck/have fun!

yeah nothing like finding out just how much cardio a medley requires...

Louis Costa
01-25-2011, 06:58 PM
All very solid points made so far.

I would throw an extreme emphasis on pressing. Just because a lot of shows have moved into a two press event style AND...some of the lighter guys in your weight category are getting to be extremely good pressers!

Echoing what everyone has said: Work the core lifts...but here's a twist ....I would def. concentrate more on deadlifting than squatting. I am of the school of thought that back squatting - obviously valuable to any increase in total body or leg strength - actually causes and eats up a large amount of your CNS and recovery time.

With a strongman gold mine and a ton of guys that have a wealth of knowledge down at Brute strength....take a saturday and PRACTICE IMPLEMENTS...PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Deadlift training will directly effect almost all of your strongman lifts...where I feel back squatting supplements it.

Sample routine : Monday - when your fresh. Do all your overhead movements and heavy..heavy tri /lockout work.

Tues. Heavy Deads with lite squat work. Rotate every other week if you want to keep heavy squating.

Wed: off

Thursday. Get that back Bi work / power clean / and any chest work you want in.

Friday off

Saturday - Kill those events!

If you are working hard enough..you will need the rest..especially if you aren't using any "enhancements "

listen to your body..give yourself 1 year in the sport before things start to "click" ask questions from someone that knows and have a great time!

There are no better ppl in the planet than strongman! I believe that!

Tell stella at brute lou says hello.

robert da strongman
01-25-2011, 07:03 PM
to add to Lou's post and to steal from Ryan...learn to push jerk

TXFatback
01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Strongman is one the best sports i have ever participated in. Lots of support, the competitors will help you, the judges will help you, it's great. I had Van Hatfield helping me adjust to my first axle dead, it was an honor. The pros I have met are very ready to give you tips and help you perform. Most strongman groups also support ANYBODYthat wants to train hard, regardless of starting strength.

Louis Costa
01-25-2011, 07:39 PM
I feel the comradeship and the type of competitor in strongman is the sole defining characteristic of what makes strongman so fun compared to the other sports.

It is a feeling you will never get in the other sports. It has been written about many times. But only with the actual experience of it will you understand!

I get all choked up thinking about it....:)

The internet strongman..well..that's a different story all together. :(

robert da strongman
01-25-2011, 08:29 PM
after 7 years of competing i have seen them come and go...the arrogant full of themselve strongman never last.
the down to earth, give you the shirt off their back compete against you but cheer you on strongmen...they stick

Louis Costa
01-25-2011, 09:49 PM
ha...what if your both ?

:)

Armored Underdog
01-26-2011, 05:00 AM
As I read more and more here about strong man, I think I want to train more in that style....

gman
01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
All very solid points made so far.

I would throw an extreme emphasis on pressing. Just because a lot of shows have moved into a two press event style AND...some of the lighter guys in your weight category are getting to be extremely good pressers!

Echoing what everyone has said: Work the core lifts...but here's a twist ....I would def. concentrate more on deadlifting than squatting. I am of the school of thought that back squatting - obviously valuable to any increase in total body or leg strength - actually causes and eats up a large amount of your CNS and recovery time.

With a strongman gold mine and a ton of guys that have a wealth of knowledge down at Brute strength....take a saturday and PRACTICE IMPLEMENTS...PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Deadlift training will directly effect almost all of your strongman lifts...where I feel back squatting supplements it.

Sample routine : Monday - when your fresh. Do all your overhead movements and heavy..heavy tri /lockout work.

Tues. Heavy Deads with lite squat work. Rotate every other week if you want to keep heavy squating.

Wed: off

Thursday. Get that back Bi work / power clean / and any chest work you want in.

Friday off

Saturday - Kill those events!

If you are working hard enough..you will need the rest..especially if you aren't using any "enhancements "

listen to your body..give yourself 1 year in the sport before things start to "click" ask questions from someone that knows and have a great time!

There are no better ppl in the planet than strongman! I believe that!

Tell stella at brute lou says hello.

I will tell Stella when I see her! I went this morning, and she works more the evening!

I love the advice and the split. I was watching the contest and I knew right off that I need a lot of work on pressing, as it is involved in almost every event: Axle push press, circus db, overhead beer keg press, atlas stones (I am short so would have to push press them onto the platform), tire flipping, etc. Unfortunately it is my biggest weakness as well, so I really have to work hard. I am lucky if I can incline bench 150 once right now. So I will emphasize shoulders!

to add to Lou's post and to steal from Ryan...learn to push jerk

Strongman is one the best sports i have ever participated in. Lots of support, the competitors will help you, the judges will help you, it's great. I had Van Hatfield helping me adjust to my first axle dead, it was an honor. The pros I have met are very ready to give you tips and help you perform. Most strongman groups also support ANYBODYthat wants to train hard, regardless of starting strength.

I feel the comradeship and the type of competitor in strongman is the sole defining characteristic of what makes strongman so fun compared to the other sports.

It is a feeling you will never get in the other sports. It has been written about many times. But only with the actual experience of it will you understand!

I get all choked up thinking about it....:)

The internet strongman..well..that's a different story all together. :(

Looking forward to the fun and cameraderie of it all. I think I will go ahead and sign up for the Highland Games in May.

gman
01-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Speaking of the axle, I really dread that. Found out that the bar doesn't spin, and that looks like a real bitch. Plus I have weird hands. Big palms and short fingers, so trying to wrap around a coke can size bar with any grip strength at all is going to be tough!

robert da strongman
01-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Speaking of the axle, I really dread that. Found out that the bar doesn't spin, and that looks like a real bitch. Plus I have weird hands. Big palms and short fingers, so trying to wrap around a coke can size bar with any grip strength at all is going to be tough!

axle was my worst fear! i actually find it easier to deadlift because you use your hand as a hook.

clean and press scared me...but i found out it isn't that bad.

train your grip and it will be fine.

gman
01-26-2011, 11:18 AM
axle was my worst fear! i actually find it easier to deadlift because you use your hand as a hook.

clean and press scared me...but i found out it isn't that bad.

train your grip and it will be fine.

Luckily I have a strong grip anyway, so training it just a little will really help. I do really well on the grip test at my chiropractor's office. I reach 130 on it, and he said that's pretty good.

I did have a question on the pressing events. A lot of competitors were struggling with the axle bar clean and press. They would clean it up to their chest, and then struggle to press it, and I noticed very few of them used their legs. They almost all seemed to just try to push with their shoulders. Is there a reason they didn't or couldn't use the Oly lifting technique of doing the sudden leg split front to back to get the weight up?

robert da strongman
01-26-2011, 11:58 AM
well there are different types of grip strength...handling an axle is static strength. check the grip threads for that...

their struggle is probably inexperience. an axle is different than a bar or a log as ar as cleans go. pressing...again lack of experience or strength. you are talking about a split jerk...not everyone knows how to do one. i suggest learning from an experienced coach

BEAST MODE
01-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Bar end holds, Mike! Give em a try!

robert da strongman
01-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Bar end holds, Mike! Give em a try!

yes!

axle holds....hercules holds in a x-over cable

BEAST MODE
01-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Bar end holds killed my wrists for some reason the last time I did them regularly. I'm gonna give them a try again though...see how it feels.

gman
01-26-2011, 12:26 PM
are bar end holds where you load the bar with a bunch of weight on the safety bars, and then lift one end off with one hand and just hold it?

BEAST MODE
01-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Yep! That's it! Be sure you counter the other side though so it doesn't flip over on you...

gman
01-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Yep! That's it! Be sure you counter the other side though so it doesn't flip over on you...

do i look that dumb???

don't answer that

robert da strongman
01-26-2011, 12:39 PM
do i look that dumb???

don't answer that

too easy....

ok you need to come up with a plan. competition and training...

gman
01-26-2011, 01:41 PM
too easy....

ok you need to come up with a plan. competition and training...

As soon as I can get up with Stella at the gym and find out who runs the strongman team, I am on it!

I believe it's a guy named Mark Kimmener if anyone knows him.

I am filling out the application for the highland games as I eat my lunch (2 cheeseburgers made with ground sirloin, no buns, with lettuce and tomato salad and chipoltle ranch dressing :))

gman
01-26-2011, 01:54 PM
was watching videos on youtube of weight over bar events...the meet I am going to do doesn't allow a spinning motion, so it will be a little tougher. The videos I watched showed guys that looked like they were doing a hammer throw, this is not allowed in my meet.

I throw, kick and write right-handed. But I eat, shoot pool, shoot guns, and use hammers and screwdrivers left-handed. In my minds eye, I am feeling that I will be doing weight over bar left-handed for some odd reason.

I don't feel so bad being a beginner after watching some of these guys. Of course, their weight might have been pretty high.

YouTube - Foothills Weight over Bar

BEAST MODE
01-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Can you not do it w/ both hands? Think WSM weight over bar where they're tossing the kegs over the bar that's about 20' high...train w/ kettle bells.

gman
01-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Can you not do it w/ both hands? Think WSM weight over bar where they're tossing the kegs over the bar that's about 20' high...train w/ kettle bells.

nope, can only use one hand!

Bar height starts at 8", so I might can do that.

More scared to push a 500lb wheelbarrow 75' and drag a 500lb chain back 50' in a 75 second time limit! I might find a 500lb chain and see if I can even move it when I go tomorrow.

Armored Underdog
01-26-2011, 02:54 PM
yes!

axle holds....hercules holds in a x-over cable

I love doing this! I usually have the whole stack and hold til I can't hold anymore, wait 20 seconds, hold til failure, then wait 10 seconds and hold til failure..

Of course, I get a lot of strange looks and questions in the gym when I do this. Started doing it after I watched the 2009 WSM and watched that event.

UD

GameofInches
01-26-2011, 04:11 PM

More scared to push a 500lb wheelbarrow 75' and drag a 500lb chain back 50' in a 75 second time limit! I might find a 500lb chain and see if I can even move it when I go tomorrow.

If you can't find a heavy chain, try and drag a heavy sled (you may need more than 500lbs on a sled to mimic it...the chain would probably feel heavier). If you can get a hold of the chain then try and pick up as much of the chain as you can. It will make the drag portion a little easier.

Just get a whelbarrow and load it up with plates. And give it a try. You have plenty of time between now and the event, so don't overdo it this far out, work up to the competition weight over the course of a couple months. Goodluck!

robert da strongman
01-26-2011, 05:38 PM

if you have access to kettlebells swing them. will help the throw. remember to extend all the way through!

I love doing this! I usually have the whole stack and hold til I can't hold anymore, wait 20 seconds, hold til failure, then wait 10 seconds and hold til failure..

Of course, I get a lot of strange looks and questions in the gym when I do this. Started doing it after I watched the 2009 WSM and watched that event.

UD

if you can try it with 2 rolling thunder handles

robert da strongman
01-26-2011, 05:39 PM
here ya go....
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs085.snc1/4589_1183961521818_1311646547_487792_6935862_n.jpg
that weight was 51lbs

gman
01-27-2011, 12:22 PM
looks like you used both hands, or you have a very sleek throwing motion! I tell you, just thinking of doing 42 lbs over an 8 ft bar does not sound very hard, but I bet it's harder than it looks, especially after I watched videos of people trying to do it.

robert da strongman
01-27-2011, 01:06 PM
looks like you used both hands, or you have a very sleek throwing motion! I tell you, just thinking of doing 42 lbs over an 8 ft bar does not sound very hard, but I bet it's harder than it looks, especially after I watched videos of people trying to do it.

i did it one handed, that is just the follow though

gman
01-27-2011, 02:42 PM
i did it one handed, that is just the follow though

Very nice, Robert! How high did you make it to?

BTW, just turned in my entry form and fee. It's officially on.

robert da strongman
01-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Very nice, Robert! How high did you make it to?

BTW, just turned in my entry form and fee. It's officially on.

the bar was 10 feet but we had 4 implements to toss over. 32lb keg, 40lb rock, 51lb weight, and a 56lb rock

awesome!

WvufFwdqMzg

akon
02-03-2011, 02:48 AM
The information about the beginner is perfect and
really help in exercise.I am going to start my exercise and
all these tips will help me.

Sledge
02-03-2011, 02:53 AM
You are going to look sooooo HOT in a Kilt too

Sledge
02-03-2011, 03:39 AM
the bar was 10 feet but we had 4 implements to toss over. 32lb keg, 40lb rock, 51lb weight, and a 56lb rock

awesome!

WvufFwdqMzg

I have a question. Is the keg a clean 32lb or does it contain liquid like a real keg would. I imagine the fluid sloshing around would add another aspect of difficulty to it.

robert da strongman
02-03-2011, 09:02 AM

you forgot "no homo"

I have a question. Is the keg a clean 32lb or does it contain liquid like a real keg would. I imagine the fluid sloshing around would add another aspect of difficulty to it.

the keg was empty. yeah any liquid or sand in the keg would make things difficult

fudo myo
02-03-2011, 06:08 PM
He's lucky, my clan colors has a purple field with red and green stripes.
A purple kilt is pretty close to being a skirt.