PDA

View Full Version : cooking w protein powder

tammyp
02-19-2011, 06:22 AM
i see conflicting arguements about pro powder losing its nutritional value when heated. true or false?

Costco77
02-19-2011, 08:13 AM
i see conflicting arguements about pro powder losing its nutritional value when heated. true or false?

It's not an argument. You should not cook your protein powder.

Yes, don't cook with protein powder, or heat it up at all. Heating protein powder will cause the shape of the protein structure to change and denature it.

daft205
02-19-2011, 12:11 PM
It's not an argument. You should not cook your protein powder.

Yes, don't cook with protein powder, or heat it up at all. Heating protein powder will cause the shape of the protein structure to change and denature it.

Yeah I've read the same thing, but I've also read that denaturing it doesn't necessarily make it useless.... I'm not sure on this though, gonna have look into it.

Sandpig
02-19-2011, 12:48 PM
I believe Michelle Brent uses protein powder in her cookies.

tammyp
02-19-2011, 01:50 PM
i drink my isolyze hot like cocoa. adding it to hot water. and i make a "brownie" w it as well as pancakes. i see alot of recipes that uses it to bake with.

ArabMuscle
02-20-2011, 05:45 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with cooking protein. If you're cooking poultry, red meat and fish then why isn't it OK to cook with whey?

Layne Norton talked about this a bazzillion times- denaturing is NORMAL. The protein gets denatured once it hits your tongue.

02-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with cooking protein. If you're cooking poultry, red meat and fish then why isn't it OK to cook with whey?

Layne Norton talked about this a bazzillion times- denaturing is NORMAL. The protein gets denatured once it hits your tongue.

Your tongue is not 300 or 400 degrees hot.
I would not cook it.

Costco77
02-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Your tongue is not 300 or 400 degrees hot.
I would not cook it.

It has to do with the acidity or PH, that will also denature the protein, as well as salt will also denature the protein.

I'm not sure if it happens the second it hits your tongue, but if Layne said it it's probably correct.

Conrad
02-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Heating protien will denture to nutrient level to an extent. Will it make that much of a difference? No.

Dee
02-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Heating protien will denture to nutrient level to an extent. Will it make that much of a difference? No.

i concur......im sure denaturing it to some extent may affect its bioavailability but i dont think that it makes the protein completely null.....

I add a 1-2 scoops to my cooked oats twice a day, and make pancakes with it as well every now and then.....

not 100% on this, but i dont think heating it completely destroys the protien, overcooking it may....just as with meats i suppose.

NEEDTOBUILDMUSCLE.COM
02-20-2011, 11:53 AM
i concur......im sure denaturing it to some extent may affect its bioavailability but i dont think that it makes the protein completely null.....

I add a 1-2 scoops to my cooked oats twice a day, and make pancakes with it as well every now and then.....

not 100% on this, but i dont think heating it completely destroys the protien, overcooking it may....just as with meats i suppose.

You are correct Dee. Heat can be used to disrupt hydrogen bonds and non-polar hydrophobic interactions. All food denture when theya re heated. The proteins in eggs denature and coagulate during cooking. Other foods are cooked to denature the proteins to make it easier for enzymes to digest them.

joe d
02-20-2011, 12:08 PM

everything loses nutritional value when cooked. the more you cook it the more it loses all the way down to ash where it has zero nutritional value.

some things get destroyed faster than others ans some ways of cooking are worst than others. cooking protein powder in a microwave is probably one of the most destructive methods there are although i do it because it tastes good lol.