PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion: Do You Work Traps with Delts or Back?

KevinCouch
02-20-2011, 01:42 PM
A lightbulb just went off in my head (thru a PM) that I have been underworking my traps. So True. Do you guys work traps with delts or lats? I know some of you are doing deads and rack deads which really build the entire back including traps. Something I've NEVER done because of lower back issues. What do you guys say?

KevinCouch
02-20-2011, 01:50 PM
To add, I remember reading one of Franco Columbo's books back around 1980 and he wrote you don't want to do much direct work on traps or it will make you sloped shouldered. This is coming from a guy who routinely deadlifted 700 pounds so NO he didn't need much trap work. Guess I read this 30 year ago and never forgot it. Got some catchin up to do on Traps.

What say you?

BigJD69
02-20-2011, 01:51 PM
I train my traps with back.

mrky03
02-20-2011, 01:58 PM
I've traditionally done traps with back but recently started doing shrugs on shoulder day. Deadlifts do work traps tremendously. I don't think it makes much difference when you train them though.

KevinCouch
02-20-2011, 02:06 PM
I've traditionally done traps with back but recently started doing shrugs on shoulder day. Deadlifts do work traps tremendously. I don't think it makes much difference when you train them though.

Always had the mindset that do a few sets of DB or BB shrugs along with all of the indirect work your traps get with delt and lat work that would be enough. Not at this level...no way. As much as I HATE deads, rack deads, BB shrugs, I gotta begin the assault of my traps.

BigJD69
02-20-2011, 02:09 PM
KevinCouch is that you in your avi?

KevinCouch
02-20-2011, 02:10 PM
KevinCouch is that you in your avi?

Yea that was me 2 weeks before the Master Nats last year in July.

mrky03
02-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Always had the mindset that do a few sets of DB or BB shrugs along with all of the indirect work your traps get with delt and lat work that would be enough. Not at this level...no way. As much as I HATE deads, rack deads, BB shrugs, I gotta begin the assault of my traps.

As thick as your physique is already, rack deads should do the trick! I personally don't see any weakness in you but I know they want "freak" at the National level.

BigJD69
02-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Yea that was me 2 weeks before the Master Nats last year in July.

DAM!!! GREAT Conditioning!

ManimalPatB
02-20-2011, 02:54 PM
I train traps with shoulders. But I have done them with back in the past.

Growin24/7
02-20-2011, 03:04 PM
I train traps with shoulders. But I have done them with back in the past.

i just recently started doing traps with delts instead of back...i do rack pulls with my shoulder day too instead of back day...its been working really well thus far and i have just enough rest in between days

NEEDTOBUILDMUSCLE.COM
02-20-2011, 03:27 PM
I have tried several training protocol to train traps. For instance, I have trained them with back, shoulders, twice a week, heavy volume, low volume and etc. But I have gained more strength and size in my traps when I do not target them directly by themselves. Now the only training my traps recieve is through my regular back day: Deadlifts, Rack Pulls, Pull Downs, Rows

Maryland Muscle
02-20-2011, 03:38 PM
I stopped doing direct trap work for the most part of my off-season, but I realized I need to hit everything hard. I had the same epiphany about 2 months ago. Now I hit traps directly at the end of my shoulder workout either Behind the back Shrugs on a Smith Machine or Barbell Shrugs. Doing my first national level show this summer, so I've gotta be ready. Starting prep next Saturday doing Collegiate Nationals

adpolice
02-20-2011, 03:47 PM
I believe training heavy back and shoulders traps get enough ''indirect'' work,so i never train them and it is one of my best parts

KevinCouch
02-20-2011, 04:21 PM
From what I'm hearing, it really doesn't make too much of a difference whether you train traps on delt day or back day, just train them with heavy compound movements and they will grow. I've trained for more than 30 years sometimes I've trained traps directly sometimes indirectly but the bottom line is I'm NOT training them with heavy enough weight. My back work contains NO heavy deads or racks because of numerous low back injuries. I train my delts and lats thoroughly but looks like I'm goin to have to add some rack deads and heavy smith shrugs to get that deep thick upper back/shoulder tie. Thanks for your input guys, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Baldiewonkanobi
02-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Always with shoulders for me. Right after rear delt work. Upright rows on Smith and behind the back shrugs on Smith. For now with one arm in sling I do one handed up right rows. Should hold off atrified so when I return with both sides I can recover sooner.

Cardio Bunny Bill

Hammerfit
02-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Very rarely ever, heavy dead lifts takes of them

Rick Prince
02-20-2011, 06:21 PM
I do 4 sets of one exercise for traps with shoulders.
I would do more, but the higher the traps get, the narrower the shoulders will look.

Gerb
02-20-2011, 06:57 PM
A lightbulb just went off in my head (thru a PM) that I have been underworking my traps. So True. Do you guys work traps with delts or lats? I know some of you are doing deads and rack deads which really build the entire back including traps. Something I've NEVER done because of lower back issues. What do you guys say?

ha! how does that PM go, "yo dude, didn't want to post on the open board but you gotta hit your traps more" :p based on your avatar and your 30yrs training, i can't imagine they are too underdeveloped but we all got weak points, I look forward to one do NOT having to train traps directly cause they are too massive!:)

On training them thou, sometimes I train them with back and sometimes with shoulders, depends on my current program. I guess it depends on if you need to bring them up or not. Currently I train them on back day and I like that best. My traps need work so alot of the back exercise hit the traps plus then direct trap work. I feel I have made the most improvement when I switched to hitting them on back day.

mrky03
02-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Dante, over at intensemuscle swears just doing deads and rack deads are all you need. I still do shrugs but honestly the heavy deads would probably do it.

KyMuscle
02-20-2011, 09:48 PM
My traps grow easily and are actually too big for my delts. If I don't pay attention to posture I have that dreaded slope-shoulder look.

Deads or rack deads are all I ever do for traps now. When I was younger I got terrific trap development from hang cleans. Ever see the awesome traps on olympic lifters?

Kevin, your current avi renders me speechless. Freakin' freak!

Ibarramedia
02-21-2011, 12:07 AM
I train traps after my back workout. I do barbell shrugs then later dumbbell shrugs.

bryantone
02-21-2011, 08:31 AM
I dont do dead lifts. I have had 3 back surgeries. I used to do heavy smith machine shrugs (over 400lbs with slow and proper form) but now I do them one armed with lifting straps up to 200lbs. This way I put less strain on my lower back and still get the heavy work out. I do 8-10 sets 10-15 reps with good intensity. I warm up with a couple sets of DB shrugs. I do shrugs before my shoulder work out.

miamibodybuilder
03-08-2011, 04:29 PM
well to be honest with you, i work them with both actually. i do back tuesdays and delts fridays. so that gives me plenty of time to rest and recover and hit them twice a week. thats worked very well for me these last few months of off-season, i've gotten some good growth doing them this way. give it a try and see what works for you. keep us posted.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Both.

fatbackgoal
03-08-2011, 10:09 PM
I have always put them with back. After reading here will need to give them a go with delts to see how it works out.

IzlamikPork
03-09-2011, 01:30 AM
I do traps with delts.

Dumbell shrugs and upright rows.

mkris7
03-19-2011, 11:03 PM
I train traps with back. but also train traps with shoulders separately. I don't do a lot of trap work just enough to ensure my tie ins are coming together.

What I have always read back in the day was that big traps take away from your delts, so I try to ensure that I am working for that X-FRAME.

Example:

4 back exercise and a trap exercise
4 shoulder exercises and a a trap exercise.

This seems to have worked for me.

axioma
03-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Traps are like everything else, some people have a predisposition to have them from ear to shoulder. Yea, dead and racks suffice for those. Also has to do with position and movement of the scapula.
I need extra work...I have pretty long trap heads laterally and it takes alot of work to get them to peak. When I throw my scapula out (like in the avi) they look thick...because they are. However, in the relaxed, the look flat.

I have seen newbies in the gym take one cycle and look like JOJ. It is what it is...do what you gotta do. No disrespect to Dante, but everyone is structurally different in regards to the mechanics of certain movement, meaning I need more scapular movement as opposed to just the stretch and retraction of a dead.