PDA

View Full Version : Working out with your Significant Other: Happiness or Hell?

SallyAnne
03-25-2009, 10:18 AM
I was reading Colette's Q&A and she was asked whether working out with your partner was healthy or not. Does working out with your SO make your relationship stronger, or does it make you fight?

Suzanne
03-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Stronger! we work out well together

But i usually don't train with him especially druing prep because he has to train in the evenings and i can't stand a crowded gym I train at 1:00PM

But on Sat and Sun we usually help each other out we are on different splits so we just spot each other

SallyAnne
03-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Stronger! we work out well together

But i usually don't train with him especially druing prep because he has to train in the evenings and i can't stand a crowded gym I train at 1:00PM

But on Sat and Sun we usually help each other out we are on different splits so we just spot each other

We do part of our workout together, but we both need to work on different things now, so usually split up about 1/2 way through to do our own thing.

Skeptic
03-25-2009, 12:11 PM
It would be a disaster. My wife isn't into weights at all. She's a Pilates-head. Which is fine.

But in an environment where I clearly know more aboot something than she does, she resists rather than adapts. And then my analytical nature reverts to it's defense position of "driver" and the downward spiral is shockingly quick.

<insert sound of relationship in toilet bowl here>

Suzy Brown
03-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I've had mine at the gym w/ me for almost 2 months and I'm not really liking it. He's never ready when I want to go, he wants machines, I want free weights, he wants less weight, he wants to do a different split TODAY out of nowhere, he forgot his gum, he's oggling my boobs... I get grumpy. ~not a big fan~

GirlyMuscle
03-25-2009, 12:16 PM
We can and have worked out together. First time I wasn't too into it because 1. we didn't know each other like we do now and 2. he's a stickler for form and I was getting into a habit of letting my form slip for the sake of more weight so when he corrected me I did my typical thing and got pissed off. But he was right.

On this passed visit I loved it. We still have stuff to learn about how each other trains but I think if we lived together we'd be a good fit in the gym. (there's that word again...fit)

Of course, he might have a totally different opinion.

stephaniewicked
03-25-2009, 12:16 PM
He works out at the gym he's employed by and I belong to another gym, so no, we don't. I've gone to workout at his gym before, but we each do our own thing... I like to be in my own little world and he usually trains by himself or with other bodybuilders. I think it's safe to say that we're both very happy with this arrangement.

Though a new gym did just open up by our house and I want to go check it out this weekend, so maybe we'll squeeze something in, but we never actually work out WITH one another.

Sledge
03-25-2009, 01:01 PM
I think it depends on the individual goals of each. I think as long as your both on the same course it would be good. But I also think if your both doing different things you need to be able to not train together too.

I realy enjoyed training with GM and we are a good fit in the gym. I generaly don't like training with someone else but it is nice to train wioth someone who is focused but can still make you smile. But could also see a time when we would be training at the same time but not nesecarily together because our current programs dont mate up. Actualy I'd enjoy just being at the gym and helping GM train without having to train myself at the same time.

GirlyMuscle
03-25-2009, 01:20 PM
You just like the posing and hamming.

Sledge
03-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Well yes you are a little more......outgoing, than I'm used too.;):D

Skeptic
03-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Well yes you are a little more......outgoing, than I'm used too.;):D

GM outgoing? Really? :rolleyes:

Gunz
03-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Believe it or not, we train well together (most of the time!). The only issue is he likes to train late at night, and I start my day around 4:00 a.m., so I usually am so tired by then that it's a chore to get me there. Probably 95% of the time he succeeds and I go but not without kicking and screaming and bitchin' the whole time. Of course, he's right and it's all worth it!!

MsGuns
03-25-2009, 01:48 PM
havent found him yet but I hope to workout w/ him...

dvsness
03-25-2009, 01:49 PM
I don't like training w/my bf. We each go our own way and then wave the other over if we need help with a spot, dropset or something.

tammyp
03-25-2009, 02:29 PM
when i am in a mass phase hes there to spot and push me, help with with drops sets etc...since we have a gym at home now, we cant really train seperately...too small of a space!

Allifit
03-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Well... this is an interesting question for a single gal lol.

I trained with my ex frequently. We didn't train together day in and day out, there'd be times where we'd go together and then head off our seperate ways once there and that was fine. But occasionally we'd train together....and I have to say that despite having disagreements as to training methods and form (lol) we did a great job pushing each other. He always hated to train legs and so training with me forced him to do it. Similarly my chest had always been a weak point for me strength wise and through working out with him I REALLY built my chest up... I mean REALLY. Since I don't have my boobs done I essentially have pecs now lol...... and my chest is one of my strongest parts....

I tend to be a hermit...and I like working out solo for the most part... plug in my Ipod and do my thing and be in my own world.... but every now and again working out with someone else forces us to grow and change in ways we can't working out solo.... so I think it's a good thing.

fitiron
03-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Well... this is an interesting question for a single gal lol.

I trained with my ex frequently. We didn't train together day in and day out, there'd be times where we'd go together and then head off our seperate ways once there and that was fine. But occasionally we'd train together....and I have to say that despite having disagreements as to training methods and form (lol) we did a great job pushing each other. He always hated to train legs and so training with me forced him to do it. Similarly my chest had always been a weak point for me strength wise and through working out with him I REALLY built my chest up... I mean REALLY. Since I don't have my boobs done I essentially have pecs now lol...... and my chest is one of my strongest parts....

I tend to be a hermit...and I like working out solo for the most part... plug in my Ipod and do my thing and be in my own world.... but every now and again working out with someone else forces us to grow and change in ways we can't working out solo.... so I think it's a good thing.

Hey hard one, lemme know if you ever want a new training partner.

;)

Allifit
03-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Hey hard one, lemme know if you ever want a new training partner.

;)

lol hey welcome stranger:)

fitiron
03-25-2009, 05:58 PM
lol hey welcome stranger:)

Hey sweet thing!

How have you been?

cheddar cheese
03-25-2009, 06:25 PM
I recently started training with my husband, I didn’t during my first prep and I think he felt left out of it. At first I wasn’t overly big on the idea but now I love it, he really pushes me and it’s nice to have someone there to spot me considering I workout so early in the morning.

Tatyana
03-25-2009, 06:32 PM
The boy thing kicks my ass when we train together.

He inspires me with the intensity he trains at, so I really love it.

AndroGrrL
03-25-2009, 07:13 PM
I used to work out with my ex when he was in town...it was more of an "I want to impress you and show you how much I can lift" than anything else. I don't think it hurt or helped us out...probably because it was maybe once every couple of weeks as opposed to every day.

sassy69
03-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Hmm, its usually best if we're in the gym at the same time and doing our own thing, w/ the occasional spot as needed. The problem can come when I have to do cardio but he doesn't... so I feel rushed. I hate that. So generally I'm better off on my own.... I can get pissy about stuff and I hate doing that so I'm still better off on my own.

Allifit
03-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Hey sweet thing!

How have you been?

Been damn good my dear- how about you?

lymbo
03-26-2009, 10:34 AM
In my case Happiness! I met my husband 9 years ago at the gym when he asked me to work my first Arnold expo in 2001. We worked and traveled a lot over those years doing expos and fitness events around the country. We became best friends. It just went from there. They say things happen in life for a reason I cant ask for better! I get out when I can these days, most of my time is spent with our one year old.
When they asked me to work the Arnold this year I was up in the air about it? I was glad I went

pittbull
03-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Im kind of a loner in the gym...Anyone Ive dated hasnt been into it as much as me and if I did talk them into going they never had the same intensity and concentration that I like....so I just say fuck it, put my headphones and blast away...works better for me.

graybass
03-26-2009, 01:46 PM
When I used to w/o with my x-wife it was awsome for our sex life. Getting pumped up together (she was a NPC middleweight champion) Seeing both our bodies looking awsome together, especially when she started to get a little cut and tan precontest, was very hot for us.
Sometimes we'd have to rush home to screw our brains out, then come back to finish the w/o!! :p
We enjoyed it. Some might say we had too much fun, but we still had great success.
Listen, I loved how she looked. I'd ask her to wear tiny w/o outfits just to show her off. Other guys would be covering up their gf's at the gym.

just my .02
GB

PJ BRAUN
03-26-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't like training w/my bf. We each go our own way and then wave the other over if we need help with a spot, dropset or something.
Thats exactly what we do.

Joshua H
03-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Dont have a significant other right now but my last relationship was actually a client of mine wanting to do the figure division of the same show I was prepping for back in 2006. I took her on as a client and we ended up dating and getting pretty seriouse. We would more or less do our own thing but still train at the same time on the same days. We would spot one another as needed and help motivate one another (and cook for one another) but sadly she got shipped overseas for Navy obligations and that was the end of that.

The last 3 women I have dated in the past 2 years dont seem to take to the bodybuilding thing to well. They go as far as general fitness and weight training but anything more seems to be a turn off. They then go to ask me each week to try spin classes, kickboxing classes, piliates, yoga, swim classes, do 5k-10k runs etc. Stuff a hard gainer like me has no business doing. I try my best to explain why I cant do that kind of thing to often but they just seem to take offense to it as if I am just trying to find excuses to not do things they like doing.

Wish like hell I could find one like my last gf, that was picture perfect!

Big Sky Guy
03-26-2009, 02:40 PM
We workout together when we get a chance (couple times per month). It has never been a bad experience! She is serious about pushing herself in the gym so we get after it!

It can be a bit distracting for both of us from time to time to be in close quarters with all the hormones and adrenaline flowing, but that just fuels the fire! ;)

Jacquester
03-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Our first date was a workout and we got married in a gym. Best workout partner ever. I wouldn't have married someone who didn't share my passions.

ripcurlgirl
03-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Our first date was a workout and we got married in a gym. Best workout partner ever. I wouldn't have married someone who didn't share my passions.

Fancy finding you here! I found out later that the date, was a test. I passed :D. He's right, it's a perfect fit. I actually can't imagine not working out together, it's who we are.

prettymuscles
03-27-2009, 07:20 PM

Yep... Same here.. sometimes a little wink when we cross each other.. ;)

Sandpig
03-28-2009, 08:00 AM
If I could only get her into the gym. :(

gman
03-28-2009, 08:29 AM
I think I would die of a heart attack if my wife said she wanted to lift weights or do cardio.

It's a deep down inside wish of mine that she would be interested

tdcoach
03-30-2009, 05:24 AM
We started working out together last year (Ironurse) and it has been very good. We do our own thing, but always check on each other for spots etc... When we first started I felt like she was always rushing me ,since my workouts took a little longer. Now she is the one kicking my ass needing more time and motivating me. As a side note, we also work together, so we are always together, works for us.

:biglove:

JVALDEZ
03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
I'd have to say happiness with a little hell mixed in! She motivates when we trian together but its hell when i have to train her!!...(if your reading this j/k hun) but overall i couldnt have asked for a better partner in the gym and out.

MichaelWayne
03-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Can't do it. Tried and failed.

I get into a zone, pissed at the weight and get ready for war. She views that as me being mad at her, which gets me irritated and then the next thing I know, both of us are having a horrible workout.
Much easier to do our own thing or just her lifting with me spotting/PTing.
Kinda funny though, because she acts just like I do when I lift when he is doing cardio. In the moment, getting into the music she is listening to and oh yeah, swearing up a storm. :D

BadBoy
03-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Depends on the relationship, depends on the workout.

Enjoy the occasional workout together, but I don't really want to train legs with my buddy anymore. lol And when she begins her contest prep, she'd need to do her own thing more often.