PDA

View Full Version : Pig is ready to quit!

pig
02-26-2011, 06:19 AM
Hey everybody,
My name is Gene and my signature is Pig because I ride a motorcycle and I needed a sign-on for my motorcycle sites, so instead of Hog, I am Pig, lol.
I am 47 years old and 5'8" and about 155lbs and around 15% bf. The reason I'm starting this thread is I have been weight lifting since high school and I still don't have a lot to show for my efforts. I am currently training DC style because the short workouts and 3-days a week programs work best for my lifestyle right now. I have worked at a large hospital here in Des Moines, Iowa for 14 years and recently switched departments and now have to learn a new job and gdet certified with 2 years, so it appears I've gone back to school at 47, not my idea of fun but I needed a change.
I feel like I need the shorter workouts with less volume because I deal with a lot of joint issues, I had hip surgery a year and a half ago, and I need shoulder surgery at some point to have a bone shaved down in addition to all the other aches and pains that come with age. I am progressing in weight with the DC training and it makes sense to me so I would like to continue with this style of training if at all possible, but i feel like my body is staying the same and I am pounding away and not having much to show for it.
I used to weigh around 200 lbs when I was in high school and have battled my weight on a daily basis ever since because I don't want to gain any bf so I know my diet is probably holding me back. I try to have around 2400 cals per day with protein at 200g, carbs 100-150g depending on workout days and fat around 85g. I have modest goals, I would like to ideally would like to weigh around 165lbs at 10%bf with a body that looks like I train.
I have been on this site for quite a while and I don't post a whole lot, but I know there are a lot of good people here and a least we all have something in common as we are the "old folks" in this game. Hopefully you can help me.

Sandpig
02-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Dude, first off, cool name. :)
Second, don't ever quit. What rep ranges are you using.
I am a DCer too. I was doing most sets like this 8/4/2=14 or so reps.
Then I decided to drop the weights and get more reps. Like 15/8/4=27 or so.
Has worked for me.
By the way, I'm 46.

Hammerfit
02-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Hey everybody,
My name is Gene and my signature is Pig because I ride a motorcycle and I needed a sign-on for my motorcycle sites, so instead of Hog, I am Pig, lol.
I am 47 years old and 5'8" and about 155lbs and around 15% bf. The reason I'm starting this thread is I have been weight lifting since high school and I still don't have a lot to show for my efforts. I am currently training DC style because the short workouts and 3-days a week programs work best for my lifestyle right now. I have worked at a large hospital here in Des Moines, Iowa for 14 years and recently switched departments and now have to learn a new job and gdet certified with 2 years, so it appears I've gone back to school at 47, not my idea of fun but I needed a change.
I feel like I need the shorter workouts with less volume because I deal with a lot of joint issues, I had hip surgery a year and a half ago, and I need shoulder surgery at some point to have a bone shaved down in addition to all the other aches and pains that come with age. I am progressing in weight with the DC training and it makes sense to me so I would like to continue with this style of training if at all possible, but i feel like my body is staying the same and I am pounding away and not having much to show for it.
I used to weigh around 200 lbs when I was in high school and have battled my weight on a daily basis ever since because I don't want to gain any bf so I know my diet is probably holding me back. I try to have around 2400 cals per day with protein at 200g, carbs 100-150g depending on workout days and fat around 85g. I have modest goals, I would like to ideally would like to weigh around 165lbs at 10%bf with a body that looks like I train.
I have been on this site for quite a while and I don't post a whole lot, but I know there are a lot of good people here and a least we all have something in common as we are the "old folks" in this game. Hopefully you can help me.

Welcome Pig, I will throw my 2 cents in here just trying to offer some help.
First of all I am very familiar w Dante's training schemes. I have adapted a lot of his techniques to work with what my body needs to continue to improve.
If you are not seeing improvements I would suggest you try moving things around. One thing I have found as we get older we need many different type stimulants to poke those muscle into further growth. Try mixing in some high volume training with your DC Training. Same techniques, RP, etc., just increase the reps and sets with heavy weight.

And above all, always push yourself further than you did the previous training. More reps, more weight, more intensity.

HeavyDutyGuy
02-26-2011, 11:29 AM
PIG- PM me. I have a lot of experience with abbreviated training systems. At Golds where I am now training, we put people though half hour workouts and get it done!

pig
02-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Hey, thanks for the responses. Yeah I've been doing the lower rep ranges, like 8,3,1 for the rest pause bodyparts and 4-8 reps for back and thighs. I guess I'm stuck in that push for more weight mode but it gets to the point where I feel like I'm more concerned with moving the weight than working the muscle.
I really like DC and would like to continue with that, but I also wonder at my level of development if I might need more volume? I've tried Dorian Yate's split where I the bodyparts are split into 2 days and trained 3 days per week, but at 9 exercises for 3 sets per bodypart it kicked my ass and I was running out of gas towards the end, so I don't know what kind of program I should be running.
I feel like DC works and maybe I should up the rep ranges like you do Sandpig and see where that leads me, like I said I've trying for a long time to make some progress with my body and although I know I'm not ready to pack it in yet I know I'm not getting any younger and each day that passes it seems like another day of spinning my wheels.
I won't quit, I'm just ready to see some progress and I'm looking for the right combination of diet where I can gain at a good rate and keep the bodyfat in check, you know the Holy Grail of Bodybuilding, lol. Thanks again for the quick responses.

freebirdmac
02-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Work harder on that diet. Your intake is only about 200 cals above mine so I know you can't be eating enough to grow. Stop worrying about body fat. It's holding you back.

HeavyDutyGuy
02-26-2011, 03:24 PM
There are a couple schools of thought. One is bulk up and then cut down. The other is get lean and stay lean while adding muscle. The first you bulk up with heavy weights and all the food you can handle. Bill Pearl popularized this approach and was quite successful with it. You can gain fast with this, but you also gain a lot of fat along with the muscle. When you go to lose the fat, you lose a lot of the muscle with it. Some pros like Ferrigno and Mentzer found that out the hard way. So did many of us lesser lights. Unless of course you are using AAS and maybe GH along with it. The get lean first approach advocated by such luminaries as Jones was popluarized by Bass and others. The drawback to this approach is you gain slower, unless again accompanied by AAS usage. It comes down to temperament, age,etc. For those over 40 I would not recommend bulking as the chances of health issues increases. What I recommend is finding your basal calorie requirements, and then addng 300 calories a day. Then you gian quality muscle and only a little fat- which you cann burn off with a calorie reduction and upping your activity level.

pig
02-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks HeavyDutyGuy,
Yeah, I agree that bulking up is not the right way at this point, I am trying to slowly add weight without the bodyfat going up, so I'm sticking with the slow and gradual increase in calories. I've tried every diet out there, right now I'm trying to limit my carbs to breakfast and postworkout and keep them to 100-150g per day, I've never gone too high in carbs, in fact I went on the Atkins diet when I was 12 and lost 50 pounds and since then I seem to be in the low carb mode and thinking that I need to keep them to a minimum to keep the bodyfat down but I still have around 15-16%bf so I don't think that approach is working out ideally either. Last year I was taking in around 3200 cals per day and slowly gaining but felt bloated all the time with the increase in carbs so I'm trying to gain with as few carbs as possible even though I'm not sure if that's the right way to go about gaining muscular weight.

HeavyDutyGuy
02-26-2011, 05:04 PM
How far are you from Omaha?

pig
02-26-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm about 150 miles straight east on I-80, smack in the middle of Iowa where I-80 and I-35 intersect.

pig
03-05-2011, 04:26 AM
Still struggling with what to do to get moving forward. The DC training is going well and the weights are going up, although at times I feel like I'm straining more than training.
I think with only one workset I feel like I need to go as far as I can into the set as I can to reach failure and have to push my body to extremes that maybe it can't handle, for example when I do biceps they are sore the next day but also my front delts are sore from the rest pausing curls that are done.
I don't know if maybe I should do a more moderate volume workout like Dorian Yate's 3 day a week intermediate program where you do either 2 or 3 exercises ber bodypart with 6-9 working sets per bodyart. I like the 3 days a week programs where the body is split into 2 parts and you workout some bodyparts once one week and twice the next. Any suggestions or thoughts about moving to a more moderate low volume program? I love DC training and have confidence in the program but I struggle with diet in any program where I need to eat for more mass and try to keep the bodyfat down below my current 15-16%. DC calls for extreme eating and I'm gaining strength but not so much muscle or weight, so I don't know what is holding me back from putting on any appreciable mass.
As I said before, I know I'll never be huge but I have always aspired to a physique along the lines of Frank Zane's as we are similar in height and bone structure, and I feel like I keep hitting a brick wall. I know threr are a lot of knowledgable people here and any help would be really appreciated, I hired w different trainers over the last few years online and although they helped I ended up with different injuries or aggravating the ones that come with being in your forties, and I can't really afford to hire anyone right now, my wife and I have really good jobs but man it's hard to keep up these days which I know alot of you are experiences also.
Anyways, thanks for any replies of help.
Gene

freebirdmac
03-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Not gaining weight simply means not enough food. Eating more and getting that scale moving up will help you get more size and may also help you feel better in the gym and improve recovery outside of the gym.

Mac
03-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Gene, I would definitely switch things up in your training if you feel you're not getting the results you want. I do this all the time, different exercises, reps, weight and it keeps me from getting bored.

When you're doing biceps, try an exercise that isolates it more without the stress on your shoulders. I like unilateral movements on the cable where you can change the angle. Curling across in front of my body standing 90 degrees to the cable eliminates a lot of shoulder involvement. Another is curling from the low cable with my elbow/upper arm on a bench.

Sandpig
03-05-2011, 09:26 AM
When you're doing biceps, try an exercise that isolates it more without the stress on your shoulders. I like unilateral movements on the cable where you can change the angle. Curling across in front of my body standing 90 degrees to the cable eliminates a lot of shoulder involvement. Another is curling from the low cable with my elbow/upper arm on a bench.

Yea, try anything with the upper arms supported.

Also try Vince Gironda's drag curl.
04x3G_Vyh0I

HeavyDutyGuy
03-06-2011, 03:13 PM
The twice one week and once the next for each body part is an excellent strategy to use. Its like ABA BAB with each body part getting trained 6 times a month. Not bad. Remember muscle gains come slowly- when they come at all. You need three conditions to take place- 1. Stimulate growth- with hard progressive training. 2. Rest- to allow recovery, compensation and finally supercompensation (growth) to take place. 3. Nutrition- think of the nutrients like bricks- you can't build a house if you don't have enough bricks. Protein, Carbs, essential Fats. If any of these are lacking or missing, you dont grow. Get the stars all aligned and you will gain.

pig
03-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Yeah, it seems like there are a million and one training routines out there and they all work if applied correctly, it's the diet part that holds me back from making the gains I want to accomplish. I've been on every diet including keto, Warrior, and Zone as well as a somewhat normal balanced diet, I lost tons of weight on Keto when I was younger and fat which accounts for my total fear of carbs, hated the Warrior diet and the Zone diet seemed healthy, but right now I just follow my own sort of diet and hope it will help me reach my goals, so I'll post it up and see what you all think:

4am 1C oatmeal, 0.5oz almonds, small amount sugar free syrup, 35g whey
protein

7am 35g whey protein, 1oz almonds

11am 6-7oz ground beef, tuna salad, or chicken salad, 1oz swiss cheese

2pm 35g whey protein, 1.5oz olive oil (non-workout day) or
3pm 35g whey protein, 50g true protein carb formula

530 pm 7-8 oz meat, lettuce salad with 2TBSP vinegar and oil dressing or
vegetables

8pm sometimes 1.5 oz mixed nuts or almonds

So that's my current diet, it seems like I maintain my weight around 2400-2500 cals per day, but like I said I'm afraid to up the cals too much, because I have no problem gaining weight it's just usually fat, so any advice will really be helpful. I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me.
Gene

freebirdmac
03-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Yeah, it seems like there are a million and one training routines out there and they all work if applied correctly, it's the diet part that holds me back from making the gains I want to accomplish. I've been on every diet including keto, Warrior, and Zone as well as a somewhat normal balanced diet, I lost tons of weight on Keto when I was younger and fat which accounts for my total fear of carbs, hated the Warrior diet and the Zone diet seemed healthy, but right now I just follow my own sort of diet and hope it will help me reach my goals, so I'll post it up and see what you all think:

4am 1C oatmeal, 0.5oz almonds, small amount sugar free syrup, 35g whey
protein

7am 35g whey protein, 1oz almonds

11am 6-7oz ground beef, tuna salad, or chicken salad, 1oz swiss cheese

2pm 35g whey protein, 1.5oz olive oil (non-workout day) or
3pm 35g whey protein, 50g true protein carb formula

530 pm 7-8 oz meat, lettuce salad with 2TBSP vinegar and oil dressing or
vegetables

8pm sometimes 1.5 oz mixed nuts or almonds

So that's my current diet, it seems like I maintain my weight around 2400-2500 cals per day, but like I said I'm afraid to up the cals too much, because I have no problem gaining weight it's just usually fat, so any advice will really be helpful. I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me.
Gene

In my opinion. this is a good time to rework your body to accept carbs. They are not the devil. You have trained your body to react with rebound bloating when you add them back in. So what you need to do is slowly increase them and not freak out over bloat. Your muscles should fill out, which you'll like. I'm guessing it's your belly that bloats and makes you think you are getting fat. That will pass as your body adjusts.

I'd also dump those shakes for real food. Whole protein sources.

I also have to question your maintenance cals. Seems low to me.

I should have asked first, do you have any medical conditions or take any prescription drugs?

pig
03-08-2011, 03:54 AM
No, I don't take any prescription drugs and the only medical condition I have is that I was born with only one kidney so I try to not go too crazy with the protein. If I raise the carbs should I reduce the fats of keep them at their current level? Thanks for the help.
Gene

freebirdmac
03-08-2011, 08:41 AM
I checked your maintenance and 2500 is pretty close. So yes, when you increase carbs you'll need to adjust fat intake to keep in your calorie range. Since you only have one kidney it may be that protein shakes are better than whole protein sources. Not sure if that's any easier on the kidney's or not.

Start easy with some sweet potatoes, bananas, and apples, then graduate to black beans, brown rice and quinoa. I would not foray into the gluten area until you're satisfied that your body is responding normally to more carbs.

pig
03-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Hey, just checking in. The training is going good the weights are going up. I'm still struggling with my diet. It seems like any weight I put on goes to my waist, sort of skinng-fat at 5'8" 156lbs. I'm taking in around 75g of carbs on off days and 125g on training days with protein being constant around 200g and the rest made up of fats to keep calories around 2400-2500 per day.
I feel like this is a low carb diet with moderate protein and high fat. I don't know if maybe my macros are off or what it just seems like my body is stuck, if I could put on 10lbs of muscle and lose 10lbs of fat I would be estatic. I don't know if I should try something different, Keto, Paleo, Anabolic Diet of go the opposite way with higher carbs and low fat(although this seems to be making the majority of people fatter, so I'm not too sure of this approach), or more of a Zone Diet would work better. At this point, diet wise, I don't know whether to s**t or go blind. I'm just tired of pounding away in the gym and getting nowhere with my efforts. Any ideas?
Freebirdmac I understand your reply, but how many protein, carb, and fat grams should I roughly be looking at?
HeavyDutyGuy, I'm trying to get the stars aligned, but man, right now in Iowa it's a cloudy day if you get my drift, LOL. I would love to be able to hire you to help me but finances are tight and it's not an option for me right now.
I know I'm asking for a lot of help, but I'm really not getting where I want to be, in 2 1/2 years I'll be fifty and I would like to be one of the better looking fifty year olds in the gym.
thanks, Gene

freebirdmac
03-22-2011, 05:34 PM
When your waist goes up like that relative to the rest of your body you really have to look for bloat/intestinal bloating triggers. It could be dairy (including whey), soy, sodium, fiber, or it could be a sensitivity to some particular food.

Your carbs are still low, not sure how long you have been at this level, so you could also be in an adjustment zone.

From your previously listed foods I'd start by replacing whey with chicken or other whole protein sources. See if after a couple of weeks if there's a difference.

BC123Jm
03-22-2011, 06:26 PM
one word mr pig. TESTOSTERONE, get some.

SwoleChamp
03-22-2011, 06:56 PM
your carbs are low...u could try adding in mct oils three times a day to re spark your metabolism...

Sledge
03-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Welcome to Rx Pig.

fatbackgoal
03-22-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm about 150 miles straight east on I-80, smack in the middle of Iowa where I-80 and I-35 intersect.

A fellow cornster!! I live in Cedar Rapids. A lot of good advice on here especially in this section. If you need anything don't be afraid to hit me up. We have a group of lifters here and in Cedar Falls that get together.

gman
03-23-2011, 10:37 AM
I would be tempted to up the calories in a healthy way, and lift low rep, high weigth to try to put on some muscle mass, and worry about cutting the fat later.

I feel for you Pig, I am 5'8" and my lean body mass is more than you weigh, but I am a high bf% too (24%).

pig
03-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Man, why does this have to be so confusing. There are so many diets and routines out there and they all work to an extent, it's just finding the right one for me. I've been doing DC training because it fits my lifestyle and the routine is right to the point where you warm up and the hit it HARD, I've tried other routines but I run out of gas and strength fast. I work out 3 days per week, because everything I hear at my age is recovery, recovery, recovery. With DC I train each bodypart once one week and twice the next, and I've been gaining strength, just not size. I don't know if I should switch to a 4 or 5 day routine and work each bodypart once per week and use a more moderate number of sets, like maybe 6 working sets for small bodyparts and 9 for larger bodyparts?
I want to keep the bodyfat at bay, as a former fatty, and I still see myself as that fat kid, I'm just scared s***less to get the bf up that high again, right now I'm probably around 16% or so. I don't necessarily want to be ripped, but 10-12% percent would be great, but in order to get there I'll have to get my weight down into the 140's and I would ideally like to be up around 165-170lbs at 10-12%. So I'm trying to decipher all the info you've given me and come up with the right combo to make this happen, whatever that may be.

BC123Jm
03-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Man, why does this have to be so confusing. There are so many diets and routines out there and they all work to an extent, it's just finding the right one for me. I've been doing DC training because it fits my lifestyle and the routine is right to the point where you warm up and the hit it HARD, I've tried other routines but I run out of gas and strength fast. I work out 3 days per week, because everything I hear at my age is recovery, recovery, recovery. With DC I train each bodypart once one week and twice the next, and I've been gaining strength, just not size. I don't know if I should switch to a 4 or 5 day routine and work each bodypart once per week and use a more moderate number of sets, like maybe 6 working sets for small bodyparts and 9 for larger bodyparts?
I want to keep the bodyfat at bay, as a former fatty, and I still see myself as that fat kid, I'm just scared s***less to get the bf up that high again, right now I'm probably around 16% or so. I don't necessarily want to be ripped, but 10-12% percent would be great, but in order to get there I'll have to get my weight down into the 140's and I would ideally like to be up around 165-170lbs at 10-12%. So I'm trying to decipher all the info you've given me and come up with the right combo to make this happen, whatever that may be.

seriously dude, its not that complicated.
eat+ sleep+ train+test= a more muscular you.

s2h
03-23-2011, 11:48 PM
since you work in a hospital i kinda assume you have had your BW done recently..maybe not..if you havnt..i would def get your test levels checked..pretty good chance you have low T...if so...a trt program could be very beneficial...but as others have stated your trying too grow on a maintance diet plan..at your age its harder to gain muscle anyway...so if your test is low...and your fuel(diet)is low..then thats why your not getting were you want to be...take a look at these 2 things and i would bet that you will start to see so change...

pig
03-24-2011, 04:11 AM
Last time I had it checked my test was 440, Dr. said it was in the normal range, went to an endocrinologist and they said the same thing, so Kind of at a wall there. I have all the symptoms on Male Andropause; tired, unmotivated, moody, etc., but trying to get help in Des Moines, Iowa has been impossible. I know men go through the same things as women on a different level but it seems like it's not as well accepted medically to help in this area for men, at least ot in this area of the country. No anti-aging doc's in this area makes it even more difficult, so it appears I'm stuck being normal, whatever that means.

Rick Prince
03-24-2011, 07:37 AM
...It seems like any weight I put on goes to my waist, sort of skinng-fat at 5'8" 156lbs. I'm taking in around 75g of carbs on off days and 125g on training days with protein being constant around 200g and the rest made up of fats to keep calories around 2400-2500 per day....
thanks, Gene
Gene, SwoleChamp suggested MCT oil. I use MCT oil mostly when dieting for a show. MCTs are a fat but because of its molecular structure, it digests in the body more like a carbohydrate. MCTs are burned quicker than carbohydrates and have almost no tendency to be stored as body fat.

I am carb sensitive and have ran my carbs close to the same as you most of this off-season. (75-80g on off days & 120g on training days). I had carbs at 100 on off days and 150g on training days but gained too much fat and it all seemed to be around the mid-section.

pig
03-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks Rick and SwoleChamp I'll have to check into MCT oil (medium chain triglycerides?). Rick how much are you taking on average per day? Right now I'm having about 2oz of almonds, 1.5TBSP of olive oil and whatever fats are in my meals for my daily fats.

BC123Jm
03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Last time I had it checked my test was 440, Dr. said it was in the normal range, went to an endocrinologist and they said the same thing, so Kind of at a wall there. I have all the symptoms on Male Andropause; tired, unmotivated, moody, etc., but trying to get help in Des Moines, Iowa has been impossible. I know men go through the same things as women on a different level but it seems like it's not as well accepted medically to help in this area for men, at least ot in this area of the country. No anti-aging doc's in this area makes it even more difficult, so it appears I'm stuck being normal, whatever that means.

a good doc is supposed to treat your symptoms not just
your #'s.

plenty of good anti aging docs out there. no need for them
to be in your area. I'm sure if you PM a mod they can point
to a reliable HRT doc that will treat you not just your #.

Rick Prince
03-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks Rick and SwoleChamp I'll have to check into MCT oil (medium chain triglycerides?). Rick how much are you taking on average per day? Right now I'm having about 2oz of almonds, 1.5TBSP of olive oil and whatever fats are in my meals for my daily fats.
Gene, I'm not currently using MCT oil, but will start using it again soon. If you decide to use MCT oil, I suggest starting with no more than 1 tbsp per day and build up a tolerance. Some have stomach discomfort if they start with a larger amount. I like to use MCT oil after morning cardio in meal 1 and again in my pre-workout meal.
I'm currently having 7 meals per day which includes a post-workout shake. With each of the 6 solid food meals, I'm having almonds (30g) or walnuts (25g). Occasionally, my last meal will consist of egg whites with 2 whole omega-3 eggs and almonds or walnuts.

pig
04-09-2011, 03:48 AM
Hey Everyone, I'm still hanging with all of this. My DC training is going well, the weights are going up, but my bodyweight and bodyfat are remaining constant. I'm still having carbs for breakfast and postworkout on workout days and only for breakfast on non-workout days, and usually on Saturday I have a cheat meal; pizza, pasta, ribs or whatever.
This just doesn't seem to be working out, I don't seem to be getting anywhere for my efforts, I know results don't come overnight, but I've been trying a LONG time. I know I'll never be huge with my small structure but I still want to gain 10-15 lbs of muscle. My lifting numbers are for example:

Day 1
Incline Dumbell Press 65x15 rest-pause
Shoulder Dumbbell Press 55x12 rest-pause
Lying Tricep Extensions 90x11 rest-pause
Lat Pulldowns 160x12 rest-pause
Bent Over Rows 185x5, 165x7 straight sets

Day 2

Dumbbell Curls 35x15 rest-pause
Hammer Curls 25x17 straight set
Seated Calf Raises 120x10 straight set
Stiff Leg Deadlifts 205x6, 185x9 straight sets
Squats 245x4, 200x15 straight sets

This is just one of the 3 rotations, as I'm sure you know for DC each workout changes. I know my numbers aren't huge, but I don't feel like I'm a weakling, but it's getting harder to progress with the numbers without a corresponding increase in muscle mass. I don't know if I should go for a more moderate volume workout like perhaps FST-7, of Dorian Yates' 2-day split 3 days a week program or what, as you can see I'm totally lost. I love the 3 day DC concept and like it's get down to business approach, I'm a MLT at a hopsital here in Des Moines and am studying to become a Histotechnician (at 47 years old and trying to study, LOL), so free time is at a premium for me as I'm sure it is for everyone at this stage of our lives, man to be 18 again and so few responsibilities.
I know a lot of this hinges on diet, and I'm sure it has a lot to do with my lack of progress, but I feel like I'm depriving myself most of the time and getting not a lot to show for it. a typical days diet is:

4am 1C oatmeal/ 36g protein shake
8am 7-8oz meat
12pm 36g protein shake/1oz almonds
230pm 36g protein shake/1.5 TBSP olive oil or 36g protein shake/50g carbs
530pm 7-8oz meat/salad of green vegetables
8pm 2-3 well rounded tsp of natural peanut butter

Not to sound like a broken record, because I truly am reading and considering all of your responses but if there are any words of wisdom I'm open to any suggestions, short of putting on massive amounts of fat.

Thanks again, Gene

swingslammer
04-09-2011, 05:06 AM
The word of Wisdom I have is "Consistancy". As I always say "Even bad workouts done consistantly are better than no workouts at all" It might take 5 years to get where you want to be but if you don't stick with it where will you be 5 years from now?

It took me about 10 years to get to where I was really happy with the way I looked. Keep going!

See you, Cal

Mac
04-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Take swingslammer's advice and stick with consistency.

Sandpig
04-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Trying to gain 15-20 lbs?

Maybe you need more clean carbs in your diet?

nwtrnr1
04-09-2011, 12:49 PM
I think you need to take in more calories, the 3 day routine per week should give you plenty of rest time. The diet is the key from what I can see your way low on cals. I take a liquid multi-vitamin, and take Oatmeal with your first and last shake. It takes years to gain size, but actually your still in the game age wise you have many years ahead to gain. It's a slow process I bet though if you get the right diet you will see big gains in just a few months, our bodies, do a full cellular change every six months, so figure 2x's a year you will see your best gains if your doing everything right. I also eat egg yolks a few times a week for the cholesterol, it helps with test levels just a few yolks with my eggwhites. If you can afford it seek out a good diet guru it will bring you faster results with less effort. Keep training if you don't use it you lose it and to start over again is counterproductive keep going man!