PDA

View Full Version : Mentally.....

mdvsony
03-25-2009, 05:50 PM
I hope I've put this in th correct section.

This will be second year competing. I can't quite put my finger on it, but things seem different this time around.

Diet wise, i have no complaints and heck i'm finding it easier to cope with it. Energy levels are good, workouts are intense and on the money.

But, what i'm finding is that i'm always comparing myself to last years physique and finding myself second guessing things, small things. Last year weight wise I was always behind the 8-Ball not knowing what my ideal weight was for the stage as it was my first comp....this year now that i've been up there and no what to expect, i find myself always comparing weight etc. and it feels like i'm basically "head fucking" myself....

but no matter how much I try to keep myself preoccupied it seems to keep creepingback in to my chain of thought...

I know I have to be stronger, and writing this post actually makes me feel a bit relieved....

Apologies for the long post and ramble....

Arthur Early
03-26-2009, 04:47 PM
dude i am doing the same EXACT thing right now i thought i was the only one but just think how well you body responed in the last weeks last year and try not to sweat it

Scoobysnacks
03-26-2009, 04:55 PM
best bet is to treat each prep separate.

Case in point. Last spring fall I prepped a gal who took to a higher carb diet VERY well. She dieted in on more than 150 carbs at a weight of about 149, as high as 250 at times, she won the overall at her first show then went on to get her pro card.

She only took two months off (which is part of the PROBLEM), but in any event, she wanted to diet again, so I said Id help. This time she couldnt get lean on half that amount. Now she is all but keto for the last 4 weeks. She took second at the Northern Kentucky, so she got lean enough, but it was WAY more of a struggle this time.

But, I told her now she sees different dieting styles, she has been 50 grams carbs during week and large refeeds on weekends.

My point is what worked for you last time may not work for you this time.

Fortunately, for me, Im clipping off 2 lbs per week using the same protocol but I knew what to do in the offseason to repair my metabolism. But, what has changed for me is this time Ive had to add calories 3 separate times, so its not exactly the same, and had I stuck to the exact set up from last time id be losing too much per week. So it cuts both ways, Im just lucky its to the plus side rather than needing less calories.

Good Luck

Ss

Riley
03-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Hey Scooby,
Your posts are always very imformative, thanks.
I was wondering if you could elaborate abit on how you repaired your metabolism in the offseason?

Scoobysnacks
03-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey Scooby,
Your posts are always very imformative, thanks.
I was wondering if you could elaborate abit on how you repaired your metabolism in the offseason?

I just mean, after 16 weeks dieting, in my opinion your metabolism isnt at the tops of its game. I repair it by gradually eating more and more. my goal is to be the best eating machine I can be in the offseason without getting to fat. Balanced nutrition, plenty of low glycemic carbs, fats and protein, usually around a 35/40/25 or even higher on the fats, and sometimes lower on the protein and higher on the carbs.

Even with a higher daily carb intake I had some high glycemic carb days but they werent weekly, really when I felt flat or needed a "break." Always staying under 12%.

I had two week periods too where Id down the carbs significantly to sort of reset my insulin sensitivity and give my GI a break, Id up protein, up fats and get carbs lower. Then come back to them.

Either way the goal was to eat as much as possible.

It was pretty successful at 155 Im dieting on 2500 cals daily, I know lightheavy weights taking that much in. So by getting my cals up to 3200 offseason I can cut on much much more food.

Ss

mdvsony
03-26-2009, 07:16 PM
thanks schooby, really intersting read.

Im definitely eating differently this time around.

my metaolism has not slowed down and im consistently losing the same amount of weight each week.

becks
03-26-2009, 07:37 PM
best bet is to treat each prep separate.

Case in point. Last spring fall I prepped a gal who took to a higher carb diet VERY well. She dieted in on more than 150 carbs at a weight of about 149, as high as 250 at times, she won the overall at her first show then went on to get her pro card.

She only took two months off (which is part of the PROBLEM), but in any event, she wanted to diet again, so I said Id help. This time she couldnt get lean on half that amount. Now she is all but keto for the last 4 weeks. She took second at the Northern Kentucky, so she got lean enough, but it was WAY more of a struggle this time.

But, I told her now she sees different dieting styles, she has been 50 grams carbs during week and large refeeds on weekends.

My point is what worked for you last time may not work for you this time.

Fortunately, for me, Im clipping off 2 lbs per week using the same protocol but I knew what to do in the offseason to repair my metabolism. But, what has changed for me is this time Ive had to add calories 3 separate times, so its not exactly the same, and had I stuck to the exact set up from last time id be losing too much per week. So it cuts both ways, Im just lucky its to the plus side rather than needing less calories.

Good Luck

Ss

Great post!

Too many people go back and start the diet the same way as the year or contest previous. Many factors should be assessed starting each prep, lbm, off-season macros, calories, bf%, schedule, workouts, the list goes on...

The smart competitor starts their prep right after the show with the rebound then into the off-season. Adjusting macros and calories to continually add lean mass without significantly adding body fat. This will ensure that you start your prep different each and every time. Through the prep you may have to be more or less aggressive than years previous as the body is such and adaptive machine.