View Full Version : Dave's Keto Diet

SallyAnne
02-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Palumbo Diet:

Supps:
ESSENTIAL POLYUNSATURATES:
-Omega-3 Fish Oil pills 1000mg 3x per day
-Evening Primrose Oil (Omega-6) 1300mg 2x per day
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil is still better for your heart! These are HEART HEALTHY MONOUNSATURATED FATS (along with MACADAMIA NUT OIL). MONO's are NOT essential fats; however, they ARE very heart healthy.

NON ESSENTIAL but HEART HEALTHY
Macadamia Nut oil (Omega-9 monosaturates) 2-3 ablespoons per day
I'm a believer in a good whole food supplement. I've mentioned it before:

Juice Plus+ gives you 12 servings of fruits and veggies in 4 pills (no sugar, no fiber). http://www.juiceplus.com/nsa/pages/H...a?site=dp02724

Good legal Test/anti-aromatase:
6-oxo or Gaspari Novedex XT

Liver Support:
LIV-52 by Himalayan Labs for liver detoxification at its best!

Take all supps with food

Diet: (for 250lb man)
Meal 1 6 whole Omega-3 eggs
Meal 2 8oz chicken with 1/2 cup raw almonds
Meal 3 50g whey with 2 tablespoons all natural peanutbutter (PWO)
Meal 4 8oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
Meal 5 50 g whey with 2 tablespoon PB
Meal 6 6 whole eggs
(5 meals for Women)

HAVE YOUR CHEAT MEAL ON THE SAME DAY EVERY WEEK, last meal of the day so you dont cheat again.

FOR WEIGHT GAIN:
Follow my same formula. . . High protein (50g per meal), Moderate Fat (25g per meal), and moderate carbs (35-50g per meal). If you're a hard gainer, eat 8-10 meals. If you're an easy gainer (but get fat easily), stick to 6 meals per day.

For the 1000th time, when following my diet plan (which includes getting your brain into ketosis), there can be NO starchy carbs eaten!

Cardio:
CARDIO should be performed at a low intensity (under 120bpm heartrate). This will ensure that you use FAT as a fuelsource since as your heartrate increase, carbohydrates begin to become the preferred fuel of choice for the body. When on a low carb diet, you're body will break down muscle and turn that into carbs. Remember, Fat CANNOT be changed into carbs. Therefore, for bodybuilding, the rule of cardio should be LONG DURATION, LOW INTENSITY

Forget using:
-MCT's are a waste when you're dieting. If you're gonna use FATS for an energy source, they might as well serve a function in the body. MCTs are useless. They can only serve as a source of energy!
-Arginine is not going to do anything. It will DO something; just not dramatic.
Click here to read Melissa's exact diet.

Sledge
02-11-2009, 05:41 PM
I've heard you can't build muscle with a keto diet. Any thoughts??

Sorry couldn't resist. I'll go have myself beaten now.

mrbillygene
02-11-2009, 06:38 PM
started this just over a week ago, so far lost 8lbs (some of which is water weight) with no cardio or stims as i want to gauge how much is down to keto, feel full all the time and skin is looking better too(i think due to the primrose and no sugars and starch!)

looking forward to saturdays cheat meal though which is gonna be pizza:D

gonna have a look into the juice plus+

Diggy
02-11-2009, 06:46 PM
good stuff

THUNDERGOD
02-11-2009, 07:17 PM
For the 1000th time, when following my diet plan (which includes getting your brain into ketosis), there can be NO starchy carbs eaten!

LOL!!! I have had so many people tell me they did the keto diet and it didn't work. When I asked what they were eating it started out with something like "a little bit of oatmeal in the morning and a small potato after my workouts." Of course they never believe me when I say there are no DIRECT sources of carbs on a keto diet. Maybe Dave should have this quote as a banner on the home page????

OZMuscleMaturity
02-12-2009, 06:25 AM
When starting on a KETO diet do you feel a "carb withrawal" phase?

Also since for a whole lifetime of eating carbs, I'm wondering whether my body will suddenly crash and feel less energetic?

I'm 6'4 and weigh 97 kgs so that would be about 215 pounds and my bf% is roughly 11-12%.

Big Poppa Pump
02-12-2009, 07:21 AM
I have found that people who proper ly follow the diet actually dont lose alot off the hop, but the waistline definately drops fast. I find that I actually gain weight the first week and then level off. I think only really overweight people lose that intial large amount of weight. If you have alot of muscle I find the density really increases, which causes an increase in weight.

Kolbe
02-12-2009, 04:24 PM
About this:
6-oxo

Is that good for women?

Frosty
02-12-2009, 06:42 PM

Also since for a whole lifetime of eating carbs, I'm wondering whether my body will suddenly crash and feel less energetic?

I'm 6'4 and weigh 97 kgs so that would be about 215 pounds and my bf% is roughly 11-12%.

Give it a shot. I've always adapted off a higher carb diet easily, but some people have a bit more trouble. Just have some patience and give the diet a bare minimum of 3 weeks. Make sure you get in the prescribed amount of fat. Some people lose water and glycogen in muscles and feel tired and give up after a week and go around swearing low carb diets make you lose all kinds of muscle and give you no energy! Strong adaptation takes a month or more.

People truly meant to eat carbs will feel worse and worse after more than a month on the diet (done right), and these guys SHOULD eat carbs, but they are a minority...so don't kid yourself and convince yourself that you're one of the lucky ones after just a week on the diet! lol

jake4130
02-12-2009, 11:35 PM
started this just over a week ago, so far lost 8lbs (some of which is water weight) with no cardio or stims as i want to gauge how much is down to keto, feel full all the time and skin is looking better too(i think due to the primrose and no sugars and starch!)

looking forward to saturdays cheat meal though which is gonna be pizza:D

gonna have a look into the juice plus+

Have a look on ebay for Juice Plus+, you can get a 4 month supply for just over $100. There are good deals popping up all the time.

Rico MacTaco
02-12-2009, 11:44 PM

You can...After a certain point increasing protein would just make you fat but a gradual increase in healthy fats can aid in the development of new muscle. If you want to put on serious size carbs would be necessary. I think Romano said he has put on 20lbs. in around two years while being keto and obviously remained lean. With or without carbs 10lbs. of lean mass a year is pretty good in my book!

The Celt
02-13-2009, 09:20 PM
You can...After a certain point increasing protein would just make you fat but a gradual increase in healthy fats can aid in the development of new muscle. If you want to put on serious size carbs would be necessary. I think Romano said he has put on 20lbs. in around two years while being keto and obviously remained lean. With or without carbs 10lbs. of lean mass a year is pretty good in my book!

So.... you can stay on a form of the keto diet indefinitely? Or should you cycle off? I'm not talking eat a whole pizza a day for a month straight, but rather increase carb intake slightly occasionally?

gman
02-13-2009, 09:27 PM
I believe the fish oil is 3 1000 mg tabs 3x a day, total of 9.

I could be wrong.

militantmuscle
02-13-2009, 11:49 PM
I think it's 3x 1000mg softgels daily. 9 grams of fish oil daily/63g weekly seems a bit excessive.

gman
02-14-2009, 07:40 AM
You are right, I looked on the diet he sent me, and I have been taking a lot of extra fish oil. Although 63g a week is about a candy bar worth of fat! lol

I have been eating an extra 60 calories a day because of it though, and that adds up. I will go email Dave and fess up now.

militantmuscle
02-14-2009, 02:04 PM
It's good finding out, better late than never:)

Now your fish oil pills will last longer!

SAMSON
02-14-2009, 03:18 PM

The first 3 days of the diet you do feel a little tired due to the fact that your body is looking for carbohydrates that arent there. But after the 3rd day, once your body is into ketosis, your energy levels will be excellent, due to the fact that your body has an unlimited supply of energy (fat) I say this from personal experience, im 3 weeks in and my energy levels are AMAZING! :)

ArabMuscle
02-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Palumbo Diet:

FOR WEIGHT GAIN:
Follow my same formula. . . High protein (50g per meal), Moderate Fat (25g per meal), and moderate carbs (35-50g per meal). If you're a hard gainer, eat 8-10 meals. If you're an easy gainer (but get fat easily), stick to 6 meals per day.

In regards to weight gain, what kind of carbs should I use? Starchy? Veggies? Fruits? Any details on PreWO and PostWO nutrition?
This is all in reference to weight gain.

musclegoddess65
02-14-2009, 11:32 PM

the first 3 days I felt a little 'fuzzy' but after that my energy was thru the roof.

I've been amazed how following this completely as it is laid out has the numbers I am pushing or pulling in the gym go up with almost each workout.

militantmuscle
02-14-2009, 11:56 PM
In regards to weight gain, what kind of carbs should I use? Starchy? Veggies? Fruits? Any details on PreWO and PostWO nutrition?
This is all in reference to weight gain.

Fruits and vegetables in moderation are good for fiber, vitamins and anti-oxidants.

The slower burning, the better, since you want stable energy levels throughout the day.

Pre-workout, I think Dave approves of a regular meal, or a shake consisting of whey protein isolate, 'complex carbs' (i.e. waxy maize), and 2 tbsp. of natural peanut butter or other fat source.

Post-workout, with the exclusion of the fats, pretty much the same.

David
02-15-2009, 01:54 AM
Palumbo Diet:

Supps:
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil is still better for your heart! These are HEART HEALTHY MONOUNSATURATED FATS (along with MACADAMIA NUT OIL). MONO's are NOT essential fats; however, they ARE very heart healthy.

Juice Plus+ gives you 12 servings of fruits and veggies in 4 pills (no sugar, no fiber). http://www.juiceplus.com/nsa/pages/H...a?site=dp02724

Liver Support:

Don't forget Sea Salt, as you will need extra sodium on this diet.

dirty p
02-15-2009, 12:48 PM
I lost very little on the keto diet, about 4 lbs in 5 weeks (3 of which came in the first week)

Its a great diet but it doesnt work for everyone.

buster12
02-15-2009, 02:45 PM
whats the general keto diet for women?

Yolo
02-15-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm curious about an issue (sorry if it's been addressed already, I couldn't find an answer): I've heard people speculate that Dave's diet might be detrimental to proper thyroid function (specifically that the one cheat meal per week is insufficient) and that a CKD approach might be better. Could you please enlighten me on the matter? Is there any merit to the argument?

I realise that the best person to ask about this would be Dave but, well, I don't want to take up the man's time and I'm pretty sure he's sick and tired of explaining his diet over and over again lol.

Thanks for your help.

Conan_O'Barian
02-15-2009, 04:32 PM

x2. What would this diet look like for a woman who is new to bodybuilding and doesn't have alot of muscle yet? ie: housewife looking to lose fat and get in good shape.

chucksm00th
02-16-2009, 09:41 PM

You cant build muscle on any Diet unless you in a surplus of calories, less calories = catabolic state, and + calories means anabolic state.
Your only tryin to preserve muscle while dieting, save growing for the offseason

chucksm00th
02-16-2009, 09:44 PM

For a 130lb+ Female

MEAL #1
2 whole (OMEGA-3) Eggs with 6 egg whites

MEAL #2
35g Whey protein Isolate with 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter

MEAL #3
6oz chicken (ostrich, or turkey) with 1/4-cup (1oz) cashew nuts, or almonds, or walnuts (vary it)

MEAL #4
5oz salmon, swordfish, or RED MEAT with a green salad (no tomatoes, red peppers, or carrots) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Mac Nut Oil and vinegar

MEAL #5
35g Whey Protein Isolate with 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter or 2 whole (OMEGA-3) EGGS with 6 whites

**** You should have a cheat meal once per week (in place of meal #5).

zewski92
07-12-2010, 06:51 PM
how would you change up the measurements for someone who is much lighter than 250

im about 5'7'' and weigh around 155 and im pretty lean. probably somewhere close to under 10% body fat.

i havent started the keto diet, although ive been eating an extremely low carb diet for almost a year now (only main source of carbs is 25g of oatmeal in the morning with my egg whites and half a grapefruit) but looking forward to using the keto diet to make some gains while staying lean as this seemed impossible to me until now. any help would be appreciated. im pretty new to bbing, only been serious about lifting weights for about 8 months now. thanks again!!!

FaMeRoKz
07-12-2010, 08:10 PM
whats the typical weight gain after a cheat? bcuz i had my cheat yesterday and i seemed to put on at least 9 pounds? is that even possible?

DAVIDHARDY
07-12-2010, 09:03 PM
how would you change up the measurements for someone who is much lighter than 250

im about 5'7'' and weigh around 155 and im pretty lean. probably somewhere close to under 10% body fat.

i havent started the keto diet, although ive been eating an extremely low carb diet for almost a year now (only main source of carbs is 25g of oatmeal in the morning with my egg whites and half a grapefruit) but looking forward to using the keto diet to make some gains while staying lean as this seemed impossible to me until now. any help would be appreciated. im pretty new to bbing, only been serious about lifting weights for about 8 months now. thanks again!!!

Set it up for 150 to make it easy. Use the 200lb sample, multiply it by .75 and use that for your meals.

whats the typical weight gain after a cheat? bcuz i had my cheat yesterday and i seemed to put on at least 9 pounds? is that even possible?

Absolutely normal from the carbs and extra sodium making you hold onto the water. It'll go away like 2-3 days later.

zewski92
07-12-2010, 11:41 PM
wow thats a great idea! thank you very much i can already tell that this website is going to be a huge asset in the future. thanks all!

DAVIDHARDY
07-12-2010, 11:46 PM
glad we could help.

costa
07-16-2010, 07:17 PM
i have used daves diet with great results but the hour of cardio daily was hard with work commitments.
how would i adjust the diet if i can only do 3-4 cardio workouts a week.

im unsure of the ratios of pro and fat.

Jason Newman
07-19-2010, 03:38 PM
So sally why no MCTs? They arre great for meals 2 and 3 I think for most people to get them through the day at worl or whatever, what benefit does olive oil have over mct oil??? As far as body composition? Why not use mct specifically maybe for 2meals a day max?

nigster
07-21-2010, 03:53 PM
HAVE YOUR CHEAT MEAL ON THE SAME DAY EVERY WEEK, last meal of the day so you dont cheat again. How do you perform this in general? What can you eat? How much calories, protein, carbs and fat?

Jipp
08-01-2010, 03:13 PM
i know your not supposed to add any starchy carbs to the diet but i really those carbs cause i train MMA 5 days a week and do lots of conditioning workouts like running, sprints, polymetrics, ect. plus weight trainning.

i remember dave recomending carbs if you train MMA but forgot if i were to add it meal 1 or PWO. and howmuch? Im 5'11' 170 BTW.

largesfc
08-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Is there a thread that lays out the whole diet? I couldnt find it.

loogerheaven
08-11-2010, 10:16 AM
its about to be my 4th week on the keto diet. planning to do easterns 8 weeks out and I loss 5lbs the first week but now on the 4th week weight jumped two lbs 177 dave is working with me but just curious if anyone else had this problem with their weight not moving down but tend to creep up. iam doing 75 mins a day now from the 30 min a day that i was doing suggested by dave. I have a fast metabolism but on his diet iam never hungry has to be all the liquid iam drinking but any thoughts ?

shawncathey
08-11-2010, 11:13 AM
my weight loss, after the first few weeks i believe, was pretty slow and steady. I think i actually put on more muscle while dieting is what happened. when i checked the scale it felt sort of discouraging but i was actually looking leaner, as the weeks progressed, in the mirror. one thing i did do was A LOT of cardio which in hindsight i dont know if that was the most efficient thing to do because i ended up very lethargic and didnt really know if i was burning fat cuz of the diet or the cardio..so itll take some experimenting for me. sounds like your working with the right guy for the keto so id just go along with his knowledge and experience...

loogerheaven
08-11-2010, 03:03 PM
my weight loss, after the first few weeks i believe, was pretty slow and steady. I think i actually put on more muscle while dieting is what happened. when i checked the scale it felt sort of discouraging but i was actually looking leaner, as the weeks progressed, in the mirror. one thing i did do was A LOT of cardio which in hindsight i dont know if that was the most efficient thing to do because i ended up very lethargic and didnt really know if i was burning fat cuz of the diet or the cardio..so itll take some experimenting for me. sounds like your working with the right guy for the keto so id just go along with his knowledge and experience...

thanks bro.

Cyber2Knight
08-29-2010, 09:36 AM
So sally why no MCTs? They arre great for meals 2 and 3 I think for most people to get them through the day at worl or whatever, what benefit does olive oil have over mct oil??? As far as body composition? Why not use mct specifically maybe for 2meals a day max?

Im also curious why no MCTs? Lyle MacDonald recommends MCTs to keep your energy up while low carbing. :confused:

kwickez
09-02-2010, 02:30 AM
[quote=SallyAnne;10009]Palumbo Diet:

Supps:

Liver Support:

Take all supps with food

Diet: (for 250lb man)
Meal 1 6 whole Omega-3 eggs
Meal 2 8oz chicken with 1/2 cup raw almonds
Meal 3 50g whey with 2 tablespoons all natural peanutbutter (PWO)
Meal 4 8oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
Meal 5 50 g whey with 2 tablespoon PB
Meal 6 6 whole eggs
(5 meals for Women)

HAVE YOUR CHEAT MEAL ON THE SAME DAY EVERY WEEK, last meal of the day so you dont cheat again.

FOR WEIGHT GAIN:

Cardio:
CARDIO should be performed at a low intensity (under 120bpm heartrate). This will ensure that you use FAT as a fuelsource since as your heartrate increase, carbohydrates begin to become the preferred fuel of choice for the body. When on a low carb diet, you're body will break down muscle and turn that into carbs. Remember, Fat CANNOT be changed into carbs. Therefore, for bodybuilding, the rule of cardio should be LONG DURATION, LOW INTENSITY

Forget using:
-MCT's are a waste when you're dieting. If you're gonna use FATS for an energy source, they might as well serve a function in the body. MCTs are useless. They can only serve as a source of energy!
-Arginine is not going to do anything. It will DO something; just not dramatic.
Click here to read Melissa's exact diet.[/quote

i put meal 5 in between meal 3 and 4(i do the 50g whey and 2 tb pb pre and post workout) is that ok for fatloss or not a good idea to have the pb fat b4 a workout?btw i follow dc training and do cardio post workout.

Bull_Rhino
10-05-2010, 10:05 PM
are starchy carbs allowed in the cheat meal?

~gymdiva~
10-05-2010, 10:06 PM
the cheat meal is all about carbs...I think there's a 200g cap?

fitange
10-05-2010, 11:43 PM
The cheat meal as far as I know is anyhthing that you crave, so yes starchy carbs are allowed. I had pancakes last week

Bull_Rhino
10-12-2010, 08:17 PM
is there an induction phase? I'm going to start it tomorrow, do I have togo a week before my cheat meal? obviously I want to be in ketosis several days before I have my cheat day.

fitange
10-12-2010, 08:40 PM
is there an induction phase? I'm going to start it tomorrow, do I have togo a week before my cheat meal? obviously I want to be in ketosis several days before I have my cheat day.

you have to be on the diet for 14 days before you have your cheat meal.

Bull_Rhino
10-13-2010, 06:26 AM
you have to be on the diet for 14 days before you have your cheat meal.

thanks

007alain
12-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Totally agree....
Same thing happened to me!

GirlyMuscle
12-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Totally agree....
Same thing happened to me!

What?

Jesseleesilva29
12-14-2010, 05:19 PM
I have been on ketosis for 15 days and i was wondering if hot sauce, sucralose (splenda) or vegtables will keep me out of ketosis. I have seen some results but I am obsessive compulsive and want the MAX results possible. Thanks to any one who reply's.

•P®øD¶G¥•
12-15-2010, 02:49 AM
I have been on ketosis for 15 days and i was wondering if hot sauce, sucralose (splenda) or vegtables will keep me out of ketosis. I have seen some results but I am obsessive compulsive and want the MAX results possible. Thanks to any one who reply's.

If anything you're using has sugar/carbs it will knock you out of ketosis depending on how much you eat/drink and at what times.

Jesseleesilva29
12-15-2010, 05:49 PM
If anything you're using has sugar/carbs it will knock you out of ketosis depending on how much you eat/drink and at what times.

What times, I was wondering the same thing with peanut butter, i need fats but wouldnt it be better to get the fats from oils, like walnut oil?

Jesseleesilva29
12-15-2010, 10:33 PM
I am a little worried about losing muscle mass while on ketosis. I am doing a show in five months and my trainer put me on ketosis like two weeks ago. I am just wondering if it is to far out and if am on it to long will my bodie start to metabolise my glycogen as energy? Appreciate any response.

DAVIDHARDY
12-16-2010, 12:02 AM
If you aren't doing long training sessions or high intensity cardio, I don't see it being a problem. If you are a person that likes to use high reps and HIIT cardio, then keto isn't for you.

Jesseleesilva29
12-16-2010, 07:49 PM
If you aren't doing long training sessions or high intensity cardio, I don't see it being a problem. If you are a person that likes to use high reps and HIIT cardio, then keto isn't for you.

Thanks man. So it is probably not a good idea to switch my work outs from heavy and low reps to higher reps like fifteen? I feel like my training need to change somehow. I have been on the same routine now for 3 months. Something need to change.

Bull_Rhino
12-16-2010, 09:46 PM
sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to the keto
diet.

I was going to start it a couple months ago but never got around to it. I just started it this monday.

How important is the 14 day induction?

I'm asking because on Christmas eve I am going to my in laws for a traditional Italian feast before midnight mass...spaghetti, lasagna, zitti, cannolis, etc.

I will have only been on keto for 12 days before my cheat day, is the two days really going to matter?

DAVIDHARDY
12-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks man. So it is probably not a good idea to switch my work outs from heavy and low reps to higher reps like fifteen? I feel like my training need to change somehow. I have been on the same routine now for 3 months. Something need to change.

I would not recommend going into the higher reps with a low carbohydrate diet. Too much energy needed, so your body will break down muscle for fuel. Instead, try doing something as easy as ab and calf exercises between sets. It will keep your heart rate up, but not get it too high, so it serves as a cardio and weight session in one.

DAVIDHARDY
12-18-2010, 10:54 AM
diet.

I was going to start it a couple months ago but never got around to it. I just started it this monday.

I'm asking because on Christmas eve I am going to my in laws for a traditional Italian feast before midnight mass...spaghetti, lasagna, zitti, cannolis, etc.

I will have only been on keto for 12 days before my cheat day, is the two days really going to matter?

Personally, I don't think it matters too much. You won't be able to eat as much as you think for your first cheat meal anyway.

fitange
12-18-2010, 04:02 PM
thanks

You are welcome. How are you going with the diet?

fitange
12-18-2010, 04:08 PM
diet.

Lol... Same here! I have christmas eve at mums house, and Christmas day at the in laws. I am expected to eat on both days and they both cook huge amounts of food...:drool:

My cheat meal falls on Saturdays and Christmas is a Saturday so in that sense it will be ok, but I have to eat differently for 2 days. I'm thinking it. It might do me the world of good though to reset my glycogen and thyroid and then after the Chrissy meals, jump back on the DP diet.

Jesseleesilva29
12-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks David. I appreciate it. I get to have my first cheat meal today!!! So stoked, I have been planning it for weeks.

Jesseleesilva29
12-20-2010, 12:44 PM
I had my cheat meal last night, which consisted of fies, deep fried onions and ice cream, and I didnt even gain 1 pound?? Whats up with that?

musclegoddess65
12-20-2010, 01:50 PM
diet.

after a big italian meal like that... I'd be falling asleep during Mass

fitange
12-26-2010, 01:51 AM

LOL i was so sluggish yesterday after the christmas lunch, i felt like i could sleep for a week. Today though I feel ok, its odd. I did 1 hr slow cardio after dinner on christmas, and I dont have much bloating either.

Bull_Rhino
12-26-2010, 10:30 AM

I some how managed to stay awake, quite an accomplishment seeing I'm not Catholic :)

though the cheat meal turned into a cheat weekend, back to it today

fitange
12-26-2010, 03:33 PM
I had the same problem Rhino! Although not all my meals were of a "cheat" they were still not what I would unless it was a cheat meal. It will take a few days to get back into keto I think for me.

Bull_Rhino
12-26-2010, 09:55 PM
I had the same problem Rhino! Although not all my meals were of a "cheat" they were still not what I would unless it was a cheat meal. It will take a few days to get back into keto I think for me.

yeah it's gonna take me a few days. as well