02-28-2011, 11:10 AM
that is sick

Mike Conley
02-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Damn!!!!

mindisj0
02-28-2011, 11:52 AM
thanks guys!
im doing powerlifting meet for the first time(it's in 6weeks) so i've been following specific program, and yesterday i had to hit frontsquat 1rep max(haven't done frontsquat in a long time)...been trying to work on explosiveness(control/slow on the way down-explode on the way up)...will see what i'll end up at come apr 9th-im doing 240class raw division-planning on 650+squat. 450+bench. 700+dl

Growin24/7
02-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Dude you made that look so easy, im guessing you could have done a lot more, solid lift!

HammerStrength12
02-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Wow, full depth and everything! I rarely say that.

The Big Sexy
02-28-2011, 12:18 PM
That was great man! I really like seeing Front squats - I can't do them for shit! LOL

I've always wondered what you (one) can do to keep more upright in that lift. LIke, what stabilizers or other exercises would you need to work on. I have the leg strength to do a lot heavier than I do now - but fuck if I can't keep from tipping over a little bit forward and having the bar roll off my shoulders.

BryanB
02-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Very nice. I can't say that I've ever done a front squat but I know it wouldn't be anywhere close to that

HammerStrength12
02-28-2011, 12:35 PM
That was great man! I really like seeing Front squats - I can't do them for shit! LOL

I've always wondered what you (one) can do to keep more upright in that lift. LIke, what stabilizers or other exercises would you need to work on. I have the leg strength to do a lot heavier than I do now - but fuck if I can't keep from tipping over a little bit forward and having the bar roll off my shoulders.

You basically sit straight down in a front squat as opposed to a powelifting style squat where it;s all about sitting back. In a front squat, it's ok for the knees to move forward, actually that's what you want. Core strength is important for maintaining that position too, especially w/ big weight.

A lot of people say they can't do front squats, but as long as you know the basics, it's easy to learn and an awesome quad developer.

Growin24/7
02-28-2011, 12:38 PM
You basically sit straight down in a front squat as opposed to a powelifting style squat where it;s all about sitting back. In a front squat, it's ok for the knees to move forward, actually that's what you want. Core strength is important for maintaining that position too, especially w/ big weight.

A lot of people say they can't do front squats, but as long as you know the basics, it's easy to learn and an awesome quad developer.

this ^.

When I started with front squats I was honestly doing 95lbs for 15 reps or so just to get the feeling and movement down before I jacked up the weight. Within a 6-8 weeks I am now doing 2 plates for a deep/solid 6 reps (still not great but it is for me thus far). I feel that front squats work my quads far better then back squats do imo.

also the pump from front squats is far better then back squats imo

mindisj0
02-28-2011, 12:40 PM

thanks TBS.
it is deficult to keep it upright on frontsquats!
i can not do them like olympic lifters do(biceps get in the way lol)...
so i have to set the bar real high-right next to my neck and on top of the clavicle-and i cross my hands over and try to hold the bar from rolling-
i keep my elbows as high as possible(this keeps the bar from roling down your arms). so elbows high is what i focus on as i go down and then back up.
i do feel frontsquats a lot in my mid back-so what i think helps me to do these-i have a pretty good dealift=strong back..haha hence last "bros vs pros" deadlift challenge(i pulled 405x31)...:yep:
hope my explanation helps..

HammerStrength12
02-28-2011, 12:41 PM
this ^.

When I started with front squats I was honestly doing 95lbs for 15 reps or so just to get the feeling and movement down before I jacked up the weight. Within a 6-8 weeks I am now doing 2 plates for a deep/solid 6 reps (still not great but it is for me thus far). I feel that front squats work my quads far better then back squats do imo.

If you're hitting 6 reps to full depth, I'd consider that very good. Don't compare yourself to 485 lol, that's just freakish. I know IFBB pro bodybuilders that couldn't come close to hitting that at full depth. Most bodybuilders you see doing the exercise don't even come close to hitting full depth, perform the movement wrong etc..

You definitely had the right idea in starting light, going all the way down, and just getting a feel for the movement. That's how I start off all my trainees.

Growin24/7
02-28-2011, 12:51 PM
If you're hitting 6 reps to full depth, I'd consider that very good. Don't compare yourself to 485 lol, that's just freakish. I know IFBB pro bodybuilders that couldn't come close to hitting that at full depth. Most bodybuilders you see doing the exercise don't even come close to hitting full depth, perform the movement wrong etc..

You definitely had the right idea in starting light, going all the way down, and just getting a feel for the movement. That's how I start off all my trainees.

I guess it is. I just do not consider (in my head at least) partial reps especially on squats to count as a rep for me...i either go down all the way or I don't. such as this man in the video lol

I am doing legs tonight and this was def some good motivation for me lol and yeah i know tooooo many ppl that have blown their knee's from lifting/football/basketball etc. so I really try to keep it safe in the gym and when I do go 'heavy' I stay focused and try to keep it safe without getting stupid uk

one ?...hammer/tbs/mindisj0, how do you guys keep your hips from cramping at times during your leg days? whenever i finish up with leg curls (quads) the side/hip area cramps up pretty bad...and this is not from lack of water, I drink 20 oz pre lifting with supps then 40 oz during lifting

BigJD69
02-28-2011, 12:54 PM
WOW!!! That's an IMPRESSIVE LIFT!!!! You buried it! GOOD LUCK with your meet!

The Big Sexy
02-28-2011, 12:57 PM

I do the I.R.I.S. machine (by body masters I think?) facing toward the machine and get full depth down (to basically where I can just stay squatted at the bottom if i wanted too resting) - it functions a lot like front squats for the quads - but you don't have any of the other stability stuff involved or have to worry about holding a bar upright. I have definitely noticed improvements since I've been doing this.

Of course, I would love to be able to do Fronts with more weight than like 185. Any more than that I run into several problems. One, the bar tipping forward (along with me!) and two (probably tied into it) I have a slight umbillical hernia that will "ping" me at the bottom of the motion (when I start to come up) if the weight is too heavy - because of the way my abs are extended.

Still, I see front squats and I love watching people do them.

HammerStrength12
02-28-2011, 12:57 PM
I guess it is. I just do not consider (in my head at least) partial reps especially on squats to count as a rep for me...i either go down all the way or I don't. such as this man in the video lol

I am doing legs tonight and this was def some good motivation for me lol and yeah i know tooooo many ppl that have blown their knee's from lifting/football/basketball etc. so I really try to keep it safe in the gym and when I do go 'heavy' I stay focused and try to keep it safe without getting stupid uk

one ?...hammer/tbs/mindisj0, how do you guys keep your hips from cramping at times during your leg days? whenever i finish up with leg curls (quads) the side/hip area cramps up pretty bad...and this is not from lack of water, I drink 20 oz pre lifting with supps then 40 oz during lifting

Never had this problem myself, so not a whole lot of perspective here. Although a lot of times muscle cramps can be caused by taurine depletion or insufficient taurine intake. I always get this when I run cycles of orals, especially in the low back. 6-8 grams of bulk taurine usually gets the job done. Primaforce makes a really cheap product. I think need2build muscle might make one as well if you wanted to go w/ a board sponsor, not sure if ALR does or doesn't.

Caruso187
02-28-2011, 04:09 PM
great lift.....my last pr is 405 for a pair.....but you crushed that shit. good shit my man...and post up your results from the meet

The Big Sexy
02-28-2011, 04:12 PM

I roll my legs, hips and hams everyday and especially before leg day. For the hams I actually use an oly bar resting on the 2nd bottom rung of a squat cage and just roll them. I get the adductors that way too. Everything else, I use a PVC pipe (about 8") or a foam roller. It works out the knots and muscle tightness that can be in there... it is almost like you are giving yourself a deep tissue

nwtrnr1
02-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Very impressive, those are a difficult lift to learn to do properly and that heavy wow!

Growin24/7
02-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the help guys, ill def look into both suggestions

HammerStrength12
02-28-2011, 08:30 PM
I roll my legs, hips and hams everyday and especially before leg day. For the hams I actually use an oly bar resting on the 2nd bottom rung of a squat cage and just roll them. I get the adductors that way too. Everything else, I use a PVC pipe (about 8") or a foam roller. It works out the knots and muscle tightness that can be in there... it is almost like you are giving yourself a deep tissue

That's really good advice, especially for injury prevention. Lately I've been spending as much time stretching+foam rolling as I have lifting.

NEEDTOBUILDMUSCLE.COM
02-28-2011, 10:42 PM
That is LIGHT WEIGHT . You killed that

mindisj0
03-01-2011, 10:00 AM
great lift.....my last pr is 405 for a pair.....but you crushed that shit. good shit my man...and post up your results from the meet

thanks man! i'll def post my #'s from my meet. do you train in ROC? i lived there from 1998-2002 trained at worlds on east ave..

Caruso187
03-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Yea from long island, but live here now. I train at samsons.... Jim rockel's gym but have put in many hours at worlds on east to mix it up, I like to train chest at world on east...again best of luck and if u make it back here hit me up

data4
03-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Holw cow thats an awesome lift