* Fat = .4-.5g per lb BW

(9 calories per gram)
yes, you read that right,healthy fats are important for fat loss

* Carbs = whatever remains to meet your calorie total

(4 calories per gram)

TO MAINTAIN WEIGHT

SAME FORMULA X 13-15 BW

First Step: Calculating Your Basal Metabolic Rate

Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) simply means the amount of energy used by your body during a 24-hour period if no activity is performed. In other words, if you're inactive for 24-hours straight, you'd still "burn" the amount of calories equivalent to your BMR.

Your BMR is a function of your size, sex, and age. It's also influenced by your metabolic status (hypo or hyperthyroid state for example). We can calculate BMR with the following formulas (by Harris-Benedict):

For Men

BMR = 66 + (13.7 x weight in kg) + (5 x height in cm) - (6.8 x age)

So for a 30 year old bodybuilder of 220lbs (100kg) at 5'11" (178cm) it comes up to:

BMR = 66 + (13.7 x 100kg) + (5 x 178cm) – (6.8 x 30)

BMR = 2122 calories per day

For Women

BMR = 655 + (9.6 x weight in kg) + (1.7 x height in cm) - (4.7 x age)

So for a 28 year old figure girl of 132lbs (60kg) at 5'6" (165cm) it comes up to:

BMR = 655 + (9.6 x 60kg) + (1.7 x 165cm) – (4.7 x 2

BMR = 1380 calories per day

Second Step: Factoring in activity level

The amount of calories found using the Harris-Benedict formula is what your body burns every day, even if you do nothing all day. Obviously, the more active you are the more you'll burn fuel. So, energy expenditure will be increased when your activity level goes up.

To get an adequate estimation you need to multiply your BMR by an activity level factor:

1.0 Sedentary

1.2 Very light activity

1.4 Light activity

1.6 Moderate activity

1.8 High activity

2.0 Extreme activity

By sedentary we mean doing nothing all day (sleeping and watching TV).

By very light activity we mean doing nothing physical. Working a desk job or on a computer and not performing any type of physical activity during your day.

By light activity we mean having a non-physical job (desk, computer, etc.) but performing some sort of physical activity during the day (e.g. above average walking) but no hard training.

By moderate activity we mean having a non-physical job, performing some sort of physical activity during the day, and including a daily workout session in your routine. This is where most of you are at.

By high activity we mean either training plus a physical job or non-physical job and twice-a-day training sessions.

By extreme activity we mean a very physical job and daily hard training.

So if our 220 pound bodybuilder with a BMR of 2122 calories/day is moderately active, his daily energy expenditure is bumped up to 2122 x 1.6 = 3395 calories per day. This is the amount of food to consume to maintain present body weight.

Third Step: Adjusting caloric intake to your goal

To gain muscle you should ingest more calories than you use up each day. To lose body fat you must do the opposite. A 20% increase or decrease seems to be ideal for most individuals. This isn't a drastic increase/decrease, so it shouldn't lead to excessive muscle loss or unwanted fat gain.

Our sample bodybuilder has a daily caloric expenditure of 3395kcals/day. If he wants to gain muscle mass he should bump his caloric intake up to 4074kcals/day. And if he wanted to lose fat he should decrease it to around 2716kcals/day on average.

Note that depending on your body type and metabolism, you may need to adjust these figures. Ectomorphs will need to increase caloric intake more than 20% to gain muscle maximally (around 30% is best for them) and they should decrease it less when trying to lose fat (by 10% instead of 20%). Endomorphs should only increase by 10% when trying to gain size, but lowering it by 20% is adequate for them when trying to lose fat.

For example, if our 220 pound bodybuilder is an endomorph he should ingest 3734kcals/day when trying to gain mass (instead of 4074kcals/day).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mindgame
02-13-2009, 06:52 AM
cant wait to try this calulation.

tammyp
08-24-2011, 11:09 AM
thought this was worth the bump

NEEDTOBUILDMUSCLE.COM
08-24-2011, 07:55 PM
thought this was worth the bump

Always is. How about another bump!

daft205
08-25-2011, 03:01 AM
Great info here! Hadn't ever heard the 30% over caloric maintaince for ectos to gain- however, I think I'm doing even more than that and still having trouble gaining any weight- it's super frustrating.

destin
08-25-2011, 10:11 AM
so the activity doesnt include any weightlifting? Just sort of the normal every day things like job?

GirlyMuscle
08-25-2011, 12:57 PM
so the activity doesnt include any weightlifting? Just sort of the normal every day things like job?

By sedentary we mean doing nothing all day (sleeping and watching TV).

By very light activity we mean doing nothing physical. Working a desk job or on a computer and not performing any type of physical activity during your day.

By light activity we mean having a non-physical job (desk, computer, etc.) but performing some sort of physical activity during the day (e.g. above average walking) but no hard training.

By moderate activity we mean having a non-physical job, performing some sort of physical activity during the day, and including a daily workout session in your routine. This is where most of you are at.

By high activity we mean either training plus a physical job or non-physical job and twice-a-day training sessions.

By extreme activity we mean a very physical job and daily hard training.

Hope that helps.

destin
08-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Hope that helps.

omg im so sorry i missed that! lol. Let me rerun my #s.:hmn:

destin
08-25-2011, 01:07 PM
according to formula has my maint of 4k using the 1.6 multiplier. To cut that would put me about 3200 cals which i feel is to high pers. I do a 4 day lifting split with another 2 days of an active recovery where I go light weights and some cardio. I feel from my logging and measurements I need to cut an additional 15% off the already 20% from maint to lose fat so feel I can cut around 2600 cals.

Thx for the info and clarification def appreciated!

GirlyMuscle
08-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Maybe you should recalculate using LBM instead of weight.

destin
08-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Maybe you should recalculate using LBM instead of weight.

Oh, didnt know it was in the formula too. I need to go back and reread it!

Not sure on BF because I have no accurate way of getting it but I would say 20% so even if my cals restriction was on high side to start I have a lot of padding! lol

GirlyMuscle
08-26-2011, 01:18 AM
If you're 20% or more I'd say use LBM instead of weight.

destin
08-26-2011, 08:00 AM
If you're 20% or more I'd say use LBM instead of weight.

interesting!

maint 2250

multiplier I use is 1.6 = 3600

Puts me at 2880 with -20%. Still feel a lil high but much better # to run with so I will try a bit lower then that. I feel 2600 is good for me.

thx again!