PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with ASC Pro Strongman Derek Poundstone

robert da strongman
03-25-2009, 10:34 PM
alright here is your chance to pick the brain of one of the best strongmen out there.

thanks to Derek for doing this and being on our board!

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/system/galleries/ironmind/derekcyr_lg.jpg

robert da strongman
03-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Derek what is your next comp?

Derek Poundstone
03-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Geez, that was quick Rob! My next comp will be the Mohegan Sun Worlds Strongest Man Qualifier on May 17th in Uncasville, CT. This is where I defeated Mariusz last year.

Thad
03-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Derek, I remember reading that you said your OHP was a weak event for you. What helped you bring it up?

robert da strongman
03-25-2009, 10:44 PM
super forum leader powers...haha.

do you know what events will be there?

SallyAnne
03-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Hey, Derek! Welcome to Rx.

airagee23
03-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Hows the bronchitis? Good luck at the Mohegan bro.

Canuck_Muscle
03-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Hey Derek what does a guy your size training for pure strength and mass eat in the run of a day?

davidyes
03-26-2009, 01:01 AM
Derek,
What is your diet like on the actual day of competition?

New2thegame
03-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Derek,
How do you mentally prepare for competitions and just workouts in general?

Sandpig
03-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Derek, you gonna be competing in Vegas at anytime?

tjoe
03-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Rob - great idea bro.
Derek - thanks for jumping in the mix. I know your time is limited so we appreciate you tacking one more thing on your "to do " list!

Derek Poundstone
03-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Derek, I remember reading that you said your OHP was a weak event for you. What helped you bring it up?
Good question Thad, here's an Answer I posted on an interview from another forum back in July of 2007, I will add upon this reply;
Again, I took a more scientific approach to overhead pressing for reps. Realizing that there are more factors in clean and pressing each rep then just the overhead press. With a 280-LB log, seldom do my shoulders fail before I just get winded. I found a more efficient way to press the log from the lap without a jerk. I found the jerk wasted way too much energy by utilizing the legs. Jerking, however, does make the press easier. So I began adjusting my log pressing technique by pressing from the lap and making the overhead portion of the press strict. By doing this, my shoulders would fail just as I reached the limit of my conditioning. For a heavy log, I still press in three motions, floor to lap, lap to shoulders then shoulders to lockout overhead.

This was how I was able to become a more efficient presser, now I would say my raw shoulder power is amongst the top in the sport so I’ll go into detail on how I brought up the raw strength. I think again my increase in power in the shoulders has to do with my approach to training. I just simple thought, "where do I and everyone else fail when pressing a heavy weight overhead". This is a simple question in my opinion. I always found that I and most other guys and gals that workout are weak of fail just as you’re clearing the forehead with the bar, axle, log etc.... This goes for seated and standing overhead pressing. With sanding presses it’s a bit higher, like a few inches above your head. This so happens the be where the triceps kick in and your delts are at their weakest angle. Go ahead and mimic the movement while sitting at your computer desk. See how your shoulders are in a position where they are at a mechanical disadvantage. Also you tris start to engage big time at this point of the press. Once you clear this awkward position, you can push your head through and the delts can engage more. So what I did was to work on increasing my triceps power. I didn’t just do things like close grip benches but relied on movements like floor and/or presses, JM presses, skull crushers from all angles etc..... In addition, I'm not scared to bench heavy. This was the reason for my torn pec last year before the Arnold classic. In addition to the triceps and heavy bench work, I simply pressed more then most do, this is the reason why you seldom see my OHP get weaker throughout a contest. Mondays are my shoulder day. I start out with come sort of clean and press. Any implement I want from axle to a block. After 2 sets, either heavy for singles or doubles or light for a million reps, I follow up with a supplementary press. I'll do things like seated presses with no back support with a log or axle, regular military presses, standing strict presses etc.... I follow this up with shrugs and either a side lateral or a crucifix hold.

super forum leader powers...haha.

do you know what events will be there?
Rob, I saw a fellow competitor post this list of events. This is all the info I have found;
Log Clean and Press for reps
Max Axle Clean and Press
Frame Carry
Stones
Car Deadlift
Shield Carry

Hey Derek what does a guy your size training for pure strength and mass eat in the run of a day?
Generally I eat 7 - 8 meals per day and try to get approximately 500 grams of protein, 400 - 500 grams of carbs, and approximately 100 grams of fat just as a starting point and depending on what competition I’m training and what my goals are, example am I trying to stay lean and keep my speed and recovery up or do I just want to focus on putting a ton of weight on and get as powerful as possible. From this base I got from there. Generally while at work I eat three meals, I’m sure to get my protein intake by making chicken puree shakes. The chicken puree starts out as frozen chicken breasts. I boil 2 lbs of the chicken breast in water before work (usually the night before) for about 30 minutes. I then cool the chicken and place the four or five breasts (2lbs) into a high-powered blender filled to the 35 - 40 oz line with water. I blend the chicken on high until it becomes a medium consistency fluid that is drinkable (about a minute). Once done, the 2 lbs of chicken and water make about 40 oz of drinkable puree. I drink 20 oz for two meals at work.

So here’s what a sample day was for the last few months while prepping for the Arnold (note the very high caloric intake) - Wake up 5:45 AM, at 6:00 AM I have protein shake with three scoops of Probolic Protein with 2 cups milk; at 8:30 AM I would do a breakfast sandwich from a local dinner consisting of sausage, 2 eggs and cheese with a small side of breakfast potatoes; at about 11:00 AM I would have half my chicken shake with a PB&J sandwich; 1:00 PM I’d do the other half of the chicken shake with a banana and/or yogurt; at 3:00 PM I’m home from work (I work from 6:30 AM - 2:30 PM most of the year but in the summer months and all of for the past three years I worked from 10:30 PM - 6:30 AM) and would have another Probolic Protein shake again with 2 cups milk and 3 scoops protein (sometimes 2 scoops if I’m not to hungry); at 3:30 I’d start sipping on my Dark Rage as I leave for the gym. I’ll typically train typically for 2 - 3 hours then take a dark matter while I’m still at the gym before I do cardio or if no cardio, I’ll have it as soon as I’m done training. I usually get home around 6:30 - 7:30 PM, I’ll eat once I get hungry after the Dark Matter (about 30 minutes after arriving home). After the gym Kristin, my girlfriend and right hand, will make me a steak (usually 14 - 18 oz NY strip or Ribeye) with a potato or some all Natural Mac n Cheese or just over a lb of chicken. Depending on how late I eat, I’ll sometime get 2 more meals in but usually just have a shake at 9:45 before I go to bed. If dinner was at 6:30 or I was off from the gym and ate around 5 or so, I’ll have a piece of chicken around 8 or so, maybe by itself or when really trying to pack on the sized I’ll have ice-cream with it. In the middle of the night I will get up and have either a bow of cereal of protein shake 3 or 4 times per week.

Derek,
What is your diet like on the actual day of competition?
I will typically eat more pasta and carbs due usually do the general lack of appetite from not training for a few days and trying to keep my calories up. My work and training schedule is such that when I go away for a comp, I typically will gain wait the few days before. For instance while training for the Arnold I was at a high or 323 two weeks about but on the Wednesday before, I was down to 318. The day of the contest I was 325 and on the Sunday after I was 316! For WSM I stayed right at 312 for the two weeks. Here’s an interesting point, I took a cruise to the eastern Caribbean last April and started off weighing my normal 312is when we set sail and by the fourth day I was up to 328!! Its very obvious by my low bf% and what took place at the Arnold and while on the cruise that I could stand to eat a bit more calories. That being said I scheduled a cruise a month before the Mohegan Sun contest to try and get up to 330+. I want to see how I feel competing at this weight as I start planning on how I want to come into Fortissums. I think I’m the only guy really that changes their diet, training and general shape so much depending on the contest.

Derek,
How do you mentally prepare for competitions and just workouts in general?
As I prepare for a contest I tend to sacrifice things like my social life, drinking beer etc.... I think about all that I’ve sacrificed including herniating a disk in my back training for strongman and all the pain I put myself through. I know that all it comes down to that one moment. Contest at this level are one by meer inches, thousandths of a second and a few lbs. This is what I think about!! Plus I’ve been think about the stone dropping in WSM last year, that gets me fired up!!

Derek, you gonna be competing in Vegas at anytime?
I've heard the Olympia will have a Strongman Contest this year so that would be yes!

robert da strongman
03-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Derek i did see those events on Marunde Muscle

how do you feel about 2 pressing events in one comp?

STRENGTH-TRAINING
03-27-2009, 04:04 PM
how do you normally train your squat and deadlift.
what type of routine really helped you increase them, do you follow a powerlifting cycle for those two lifts.
thanks

GameofInches
03-27-2009, 05:03 PM
What does your training split look like? What days do you train what body parts? Thanks!

Kev
03-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Unbelievable at the Arnold Derek, congratulations.
Any tips for bringing up benchpress?, secret/unique exercises?
Do you plan on making a training dvd?
thanks

Kenny Kola
04-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Hi Derek,

Greetings from across the pond, over here in 'Little Olde England'.

Congratulations on your Arnold Victory..... WOW!

What type of spinal surgery did you have to alleviate your disc prolapse....?
(Spinal fusion...? And at which level L4/L5...?)

How long after surgery was it before you got back into training....?

Does the injury still hinder you in any way......?
(Any lifting tips or stretches for the back pain sufferers amongst us...)

I wish you continued success for the future,

Cheers,

MM

tjoe
04-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Derek - You've explained it to me in the past but I think it would be worth going over a bit here as well. Could you explain your thoughts/training as far as cardiovascular work is concerned?

Derek Poundstone
04-04-2009, 07:15 PM
I want to apologize for the delay in getting back to you guys with the answers to your questions. Here goes;

Derek i did see those events on Marunde Muscle
how do you feel about 2 pressing events in one comp?
Great question, I’m actually a fan of having two types of pressing events in a competition. I think that’s what always fascinated me with strongman, we press some serious weight overhead in addition to the odd objects like huge logs and dumbbells!! To some of the nay-sayers that criticized the Mohegan Sun competition for doing this and also think that I influenced the events, I have to say that this was the way several competitions were when I was up and coming in the armature and pro competitions and the reason I brought up my OHP from being mediocre to one of the best pressers in the world. With the volume of training I do, the Mohegan Sun will be like another day of training for me. I love the fast passed competitions with six events I a day. For more info about this, see the answer to Joe’s question on the bottom.

how do you normally train your squat and deadlift?
what type of routine really helped you increase them, do you follow a powerlifting cycle for those two lifts.
thanks
I’m not too sure what you mean by powerlifting cycle but here’s my approach. I train squats and deadlifts in the same day to allow more recovery for my lower back during the week. I will focus on deadlifts as my first lift about 75 – 80% of the time. Usually I don’t to over 8 reps or so with deadlifts as this is what starts to aggravate my injury (for more info, check out the reply to MUSCLEMEISTER’s question). I tend to do a cycle of raw deadlifting, followed by a few weeks of squatting first then pulling with a suit for several weeks before I go back to deadlifting first again, this time with a suit. I like to keep my training fresh and keep my body guessing! As far as squats, if I’m deadlifting heavy then I do high rep squats (either front of rear) and vice versa. I occasionally use a squat suit when I have a desire to increase my squat or if I have an event where I will need to either squat or where squatting will be beneficial.

What does your training split look like? What days do you train what body parts? Thanks!
Monday is shoulders and traps consisting of pressing various strongman implements; Tuesday is arm, abs and Cardio; Wednesday is an off day; Thursday I train Squats and Deadlifts with cardio; Friday is Chest and back with cardio and Saturday is strongman event training.

Any tips for bringing up benchpress?, secret/unique exercises?
Do you plan on making a training dvd?
thanks
I don’t think I’m the best guy to tell ya about increasing your bench. I bench more for the carryover work in my triceps for OHPing. I use a moderate grip with a flat back on the bench. I’m sure if I trained for a larger arch and for a max press, I could press much more but I feel no need to work on big bench numbers, same reason for nor trying to work on pulling well into the nines, it would be too detrimental to what I feel makes me a great strongman, being agile, explosive and all around well rounded and athletic.

Right now I don’t have any plans to make a training DVD but am interested in doing one in the future.

Greetings from across the pond, over here in 'Little Olde England'.

Congratulations on your Arnold Victory..... WOW!

What type of spinal surgery did you have to alleviate your disc prolapse....?
(Spinal fusion...? And at which level L4/L5...?)

How long after surgery was it before you got back into training....?

Does the injury still hinder you in any way......?
(Any lifting tips or stretches for the back pain sufferers amongst us...)

I wish you continued success for the future,

Cheers,

MM
MM, I had no surgery, I was scheduled to have a procedure where my Dr wanted to use a needle to suck out the hematoma that developed from the herniation/prolapse. In addition to pulling out the blood, my dr wanted to go in and deposit a medication for pain management. Its been quite a few years so I don’t recall the exact medications but I do recall the procedures required a live x-ray to watch the needle as the Dr maneuvered it near my spinal cord. The risk for the procedure was paralysis. At this point I decided not to get the procedures done with the support of my GP but against the wished of my neurosurgeon. A year ago my neurosurgeon wanted to do a study on me to find out home I was able to recover to the level I did after he was sure I’d never be able to continue with training at the level I did, let alone be competitive at the top of the sport. All in all I don’t know what factors are responsible to my recovery, I can only surmise. I know that after I injured my back while preparing for the 06 IFSA Worlds, I didn’t feel sorry for myself, I was in the gym a week later benching and preparing for a bench press competition held the week I was due to do IFSA worlds. I had to have help getting the 45 lb plates on the bar. I ended up winning the competition BTW. As far as training, within three weeks I was deadlifting with a trap bar out of the rack. I was in a lot of pain for months but couldn’t live with not training. At this point in my life I purchased a truck that I began to race to keep my mind off the “what ifs” surrounding my injury http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6vIlT3Xyf4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6vIlT3Xyf4) . In then end I was able to come back stronger but I still live with pain. Usually two to three times a year I’ll end up having a relapse of the injury. IT feels almost like when I originally injured my back but will last a day of two. I don’t know what causes this but it usually requires me to do nothing but rest for a day or two then I’m fine. I don’t know what causes this, my Dr feels its inflammation from re-aggrivating the injured disk. Funny thing to note, deadlifting doesn’t bother my back as much as squats. This is the reason I will deadlift heavy more often then squats. The problem with injuring my back is now I have another hobby, I never kicked the racing bug and now have a Viper I cant help but put stupid amounts of money into!!

Derek - You've explained it to me in the past but I think it would be worth going over a bit here as well. Could you explain your thoughts/training as far as cardiovascular work is concerned?
I’m a big fan of cardio, more specifically interval training which consists of anywhere from 30 seconds to two minutes of all out exertion followed by a recovery period where the resistance is only cut by about 50%. I feel this has the best carryover for strongman, its aids in overall condition, specifically getting used to pushing yourself 100% for the time frame we usually do in strongman and recovering quickly.

robert da strongman
04-05-2009, 10:01 AM
hey Derek!
ever pressed any stones?

what do you use for the cardio? treadmill, elliptical....

Joeb23
04-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Hey Derek,

I just watching you again on ESPN during the 08' Strongman and I was blown away at how dominate you truly are. During the truck pull your arms look like they were gonna explode they are so big! What do they measure? Please don't tell me you never measure them, you got to have some of the biggest guns on the planet!
Good Luck in all your future events this year! Bring the WSM title back to the U.S.A.!

Derek Poundstone
04-05-2009, 09:11 PM
hey Derek!
ever pressed any stones?

what do you use for the cardio? treadmill, elliptical....
robert, I've pressed the "alcan" aluminum blocks from IFSA and have a tombstone I press on occasion. AS far as the cardio, I stay away from treadmills, its a bit hard an my knees and also isn't really difficult enough unless you increase the incline to a rediculouse level. In that case when I'm finished with the interval, the tradmill takes forever to lower just a few notches. I prefer ellipticals and stair steppers as the resistrance can be quickly adjusted. I specifically run a speed program under the "hills plus" button.

Hey Derek,

I just watching you again on ESPN during the 08' Strongman and I was blown away at how dominate you truly are. During the truck pull your arms look like they were gonna explode they are so big! What do they measure? Please don't tell me you never measure them, you got to have some of the biggest guns on the planet!
Good Luck in all your future events this year! Bring the WSM title back to the U.S.A.!
Thanks bro but I have far from the "biggest guns on the planet". I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I actually measured my arms about a week ago out of curiosity! Untill last week, I hadn't measured my them for about 3 years or so as I really dont care what they measure. I've been asked this several times and I prefer to say "I dont know", but since that would be a lie, I'll just tell ya that they are over 20". Being a strength athlete, I've been criticized quite a bit for training arms and having arm development so its a bit of a soar subject hence the reason for the vague answer. I will ahve to admit that I have never had any trouble putting size on my arms and am sure if I trained them a bit more specifically I could add mores size. As I've alwas said about all the things I "could" improve", this would come at a cost that would upset the balance I've created that I believe makes me what you would refer to as a "dominant strognman". I appreciate your interest though!

tjoe
04-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Derek - I am curious as to what company makes the Yoke aparatus that you used at the Arnold. I was talking with one of the Justins you train with on occasion and he was saying that it is multi functional. I'd like to learn more about it... what other events it can be used for, who makes it, if we can buy one etc. Thanks in advance and have some FUN on that vaca!! 320-325 when you get back right??

Derek Poundstone
04-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Derek - I am curious as to what company makes the Yoke aparatus that you used at the Arnold. I was talking with one of the Justins you train with on occasion and he was saying that it is multi functional. I'd like to learn more about it... what other events it can be used for, who makes it, if we can buy one etc. Thanks in advance and have some FUN on that vaca!! 320-325 when you get back right??
Sorinex makes the yoke, here's their website with all the equipment they make http://store.sorinex.com/ and heres the link to a variation of the yoke Juston was talking to you about http://store.sorinex.com/The_Base_Station_Yoke_of_Goergen_p/yk-1.htm the video on the page pretty much sums it up. THis is the evolution of the yoke used at the arnold which is a one of a kind. Once I finish building my monster garage, I'm going to purchase one of them for the garage so I can do my training at wither the gym or my house!

tjoe
04-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info Derek.

New2thegame
04-08-2009, 04:16 PM
When you decided to do this sport were you lucky to have a gym/group near you or did you seek them out? If so, what did you look for nice group of people or competitors?

Derek Poundstone
04-11-2009, 06:30 AM
When you decided to do this sport were you lucky to have a gym/group near you or did you seek them out? If so, what did you look for nice group of people or competitors?
When I first started competing, I never trained the events. I got my procard having only trained specific events twice by driving up to Art McDeermots house up in Wilmington, Mass. After becoming a cop and taking a 2 year hiatus (I nearly gave up the sport), I started training with Tom and April C in CT. THere I trianined untill abouta year ago when the owner of the gy, I train at allowed me to put some equipment at his place. SInce then I've aquired one of the largest private collections of equipment around. As far as the CT Strength group I originally trained with, I didn't seek out any type of specific group, just one that was in CT that had equipment. We all now train at my friends gym and we get along very well. They remember when I just started back with the sport and was struggaling and have been there through all the injuries. Plus after all the years, they are hard to impress and expect a lot out of me. This is a huge driving force for me. We've all improved and gotten better. Thats what makes the countless hours killing yourself worth it. I addition to the CT strength crew I also train with a few Powerlifters during the week

robert da strongman
04-11-2009, 01:06 PM
dang!!
i wanna come up there and train.

STRENGTH-TRAINING
04-15-2009, 03:32 PM
hi Derek
do you think doing deep narrow stance squats help strongman better or wide power squats, or do you do both,
thanks

tjoe
04-16-2009, 11:58 AM
hi Derek
do you think doing deep narrow stance squats help strongman better or wide power squats, or do you do both,
thanksI know you asked Derek (and I know he'll answer later) but I would say wider stance AND front squats also. Aside from an actual squat event, most strongman events have the weight in front of the body (think stones, carries etc.) Front squats will mimic that feeling mor than back squats.

Derek - How was that vaca? Did you hit 325lbs? And how do you feel about the Mohegan event (physically speaking)?

STRENGTH-TRAINING
04-18-2009, 02:52 PM
thanks tjoe.
Derek, do you remember how much you were squatting and deadlifting when you were 19, the freaks like arild haugen and Kevin knee in strongman is crazy.
thanks

Derek Poundstone
04-20-2009, 03:28 PM
hi Derek
thanks

ST, I dont "prefer" any one movement over another. Storngman is just what the title suggests, bening as strong as possible to best perform any one of the crazy events we do. THat being said, I dont back sqaut too often due to my back injury, it tends to aggrivate the injury. THat being said, I am just now starting to do more back squats as I used to rely mostly on front squats for the reason Joe states. Narrow squats and both wude sqauts have their place, it depends on hwere you are comfortable and what suit you use if any. Hope this helps!!

thanks tjoe.
Derek, do you remember how much you were squatting and deadlifting when you were 19, the freaks like arild haugen and Kevin knee in strongman is crazy.
thanks
This is quickly becoming the ST question and Poundstone answer page :D My unequiped numbers were around a 675 deadlift and 585 lbs squat. By the time I was 19 I was only squatting and deadlifting for about a year. Prior to that I only did smith machine squats and leg presses.

Derek - How was that vaca? Did you hit 325lbs? And how do you feel about the Mohegan event (physically speaking)?
I hit 330 lbs, heres a link to Kristins photo page with a few shots http://kristinanddereksvacation2009.shutterfly.com/ (http://kristinanddereksvacation2009.shutterfly.com/)

Derek Poundstone
04-20-2009, 03:29 PM
dang!!
i wanna come up there and train.
I believe the guys from HMR are coming up this weekend to film some training!!

robert da strongman
04-20-2009, 03:39 PM

looking forward to seeing that video!

tjoe
04-20-2009, 04:55 PM
I believe the guys from HMR are coming up this weekend to film some training!!Bout time!! I been asking Dave to do that for a while. Knowing you are close by and the growing interest in strongman AND lets face it... It's more fun to watch than bodybuilding workouts.

330! You been eatin' good!

Any idea what events you will be working this weekend?

robert da strongman
04-20-2009, 04:56 PM
oh yeah i told Dione and Mike about all this stuff we have here...

SUMO
04-20-2009, 05:44 PM
You know, Dave and Connecticut don't mix well. :D

tjoe
04-20-2009, 08:06 PM
You know, Dave and Connecticut don't mix well. :DI must've missed that story... fill me in. But anyway i have a feeling maybe Dave would be sending someone else (although it would be cool to have the him there to do it "proppa").

SUMO
04-21-2009, 12:21 AM
I must've missed that story... fill me in. But anyway i have a feeling maybe Dave would be sending someone else (although it would be cool to have the him there to do it "proppa").
I don't remember the exact story. I just know he got pulled over in CT and the cop was a brutal. He had to appear in court and everything. I think it was a month or two ago. He was talking about it on one of the radio shows.

tjoe
04-25-2009, 10:48 PM
new vids form today...

so weight is up but conditioning is down a bit...
Do you think that this is a result of the added bodyweight OR a result of not training events for 2 weeks??

I am guessing... B, not training events. I think once you train for a while (at 330ish) your body will adapt and be just as "conditioned" at the new weight.

Joeb23
04-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Derek,

I was wondering how big is your waist? You seem to still have a nice physique with a small waist to go along with your immense power. Most of the guys on the circuit are huge but with big waists and no shape. My other part to this question is do you look this way by choice or is it something you also work at like getting strong. I am trying to climb closer to the 300 mark but I do not want my shape and especially my waist to get out of control. Thanks!

Derek Poundstone
05-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Derek,

I was wondering how big is your waist? You seem to still have a nice physique with a small waist to go along with your immense power. Most of the guys on the circuit are huge but with big waists and no shape. My other part to this question is do you look this way by choice or is it something you also work at like getting strong. I am trying to climb closer to the 300 mark but I do not want my shape and especially my waist to get out of control. Thanks!
I think my waist is in the ballpark of 36". As far as staying lean, it was never by choice when I first started getting big into powerlifting and strongman. Growing up my mother was very strick with when and what my brother and I ate. Because of tsuch a clean diet and good genetics, I beleive I have very few fat cells. I cant remember a time in my life went I couldnt see my abs, even at 330 lbs. I've never really been able to put on fat, even when Ive tried. At this point in my life though I actually train to stay in shape. By this I dont mean I try and stay lean, I just try and stay conditioned by doing cardio, high volume sets and super sets. A byproduct of the volume and training I do is I burn so many calories, just maintaiing my weight is very difficult, despite the huge UNO pizza, about 2000 calories, just before bedtime. Its very normal for me to eat such an insane number of calories before bed yet I still say very lean.

redline777
05-10-2009, 10:12 PM
how would u think marius pudgianowski go in bodybuilding if he ever decided to go this route?

have u ever wanted to do bodybulding?

HITstrongman
05-17-2009, 02:21 PM
http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/system/galleries/ironmind/derekcyr_lg.jpg

I fucking love that picture, what a beast! :bowdown:

I just picked up the Fortissimus 2008 dvd from http://www.ironmind.com, highly recommended!! :popcorn:

robert da strongman
05-17-2009, 09:07 PM
congrats on the win and world record Derek!

STRENGTH-TRAINING
05-22-2009, 02:33 PM
hi Derek
do you use creatine year round, i have 5g twice a day, and use creatine monohydrate, how much do you have, it helps me a lot.
thanks brother

Ryan Bracewell
05-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Derek,

I would imagine there is a good rivalry between you and Travis, Misha or Big Z, but is there one guy in particular that you really enjoy competing against? Someone that drives you to do better than you have done every time you go against them.

dublin-lifter
05-26-2009, 06:35 PM
2 questions for you derek

whats your favorite strongman event

who is your favorite strongman or who inspired you to become one

STRENGTH-TRAINING
06-04-2009, 11:33 AM
hi Derek
i know protein is very important, but what do you say is more important out of fats and carbs for strength gains.
thanks

HammerStrength12
06-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Next year the title's yours!!

HITstrongman
06-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Derek, I was wondering what type of cardio training you do?

tjoe
07-08-2009, 02:31 PM
What's the plan for WSM training wise? Any specifics you want to work on and if so, how do you plan to improve them?
Any idea where WSM will be held... we hear rumors of Sun City and Charleston WV again...
Thanks!

Derek Poundstone
07-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Sorry I've been away for so long, I'll get to all the questions today!! I was typing responses to all the new questions when the page went dead, WTF!! I'll retype the anwers on Word tonight and post it up as an edit to this post! I'm off today and heading to the gym!!

tjoe
07-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks Derek. BTW, lookin freaky thick in that latest tire flip video! wheres your weight at now? looks to be back up since Frotissimus!

robert da strongman
07-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Derek..i hear you are on the cover of flex?

Thad
07-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Derek..i hear you are on the cover of flex?
It's a great atricle of DP. I usually don't buy Flex, but when I saw that I bought it.

And got to love the picture of the Slater Stone.:D I told Steve about that.

toddbz
07-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Derek saw your video where you squat holding the holes in the plates because you can't get your hands up to the bar. Ever tried squating with a cambered bar?

American_Strongman
07-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Derek,

I was wondering what kind of gym lifts would help with the atlas stone.
I plan on buying one in the future but i cant spend that much on a stone right now.

thank you - WIll

DaEagles
08-04-2009, 12:48 PM
My buddy and I are stationed in Sicily right now and we are going to put in some leave chits to be in Malta in 1-3 Oct for the WSM

STRENGTH-TRAINING
08-15-2009, 05:10 PM
i remember you tore your pec last year, but still competed in nearly every contest last year, how did you help it recover or work around it, people usually take months off training and competition in all sports with an injury like that, like mark felix, kevin nee and mariusz tearing their biceps.
thanks

tjoe
08-25-2009, 08:46 PM
guys, just got a text from Derek... he will be on here soon to catch up. His schedule is Beyond busy lately. Check out his other thread (which I update with his training vids) to see where he's at currently with his training.

Derek - those vids are sik! (deads and truck pulls) makes me wonder why I started cycling?

tjoe
08-25-2009, 09:10 PM
oh... I did have a question...
I noticed the rock climbing shoes in the truck pull video... what kind are they, how much, and do you think they help (haven't seen you use them before). Thanks.

Drowland
08-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Derek, my name is Daniel Rowland. I live in Texas and Im trying to het into my first novice strongman comp. I wa a former powerlifter but I layer off the weights for a few Yeats to do some boxin and now I'm back! I'm about 6'1 235. I have a a pretty good back ground and understanding to strength and power traing but I was wondering if it was possible to train 6 days a week for the strong man including one event day without overtraining. I get really bored on a 4 hour break I have between school and work so I igure I could workout but I don't want to jepordize my progress. Just wondering if you could give me some advice on that?

syssstem
08-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Hey Derek, I have been into bodybuilding for about 3 years and have just been focusing on getting as strong as possible at the squat bench deadlift military press and barbell row. I am finding my self getting more and more interested in strongman and am wondering what you think would be the best plan if im looking to compete in an amature comp in 1 years time.

Should I continue making the best gains I can to my squat bench deadlift bb row and military press and implement events maybe 6-8 weeks out from the comp? or should I take re structure my program completely for the next year in order to implement events?

im currently doing bill star 5x5 making progress of about 5lbs a week on every main lift. i was going to take out wednesdays workout and add in events day.

what do you think?

American_Strongman
09-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Derek one more question, i have often thought that my short height would have a negative effect on pro strongman. right now i am 5 foot 8, and i hear you stop getting taller at 25 so maby i have a chance at being 5 9. so my question is how bad do you think this will effect me? i am sure i will be able to gain enough weight as i have a large frame...im just not tall.
Good luck with the worlds strongest man Derek, i know youll win. i was at the 09 arnold classic and saw you compete. nobody has a chance at WSM

GameofInches
09-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Derek,

Do you deload the week prior to a contest?

MsGuns
09-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I just saw you on HLN (Headline News on CNN) pulling a firetruck....amazing.

tjoe
12-19-2009, 10:40 AM
how would u think marius pudgianowski go in bodybuilding if he ever decided to go this route?

hi Derek
do you use creatine year round, i have 5g twice a day, and use creatine monohydrate, how much do you have, it helps me a lot.
thanks brother

Derek,

I would imagine there is a good rivalry between you and Travis, Misha or Big Z, but is there one guy in particular that you really enjoy competing against? Someone that drives you to do better than you have done every time you go against them.

hi Derek
i know protein is very important, but what do you say is more important out of fats and carbs for strength gains.
thanks

Derek saw your video where you squat holding the holes in the plates because you can't get your hands up to the bar. Ever tried squating with a cambered bar?

Derek,

I plan on buying one in the future but i cant spend that much on a stone right now.

thank you - WIll

i remember you tore your pec last year, but still competed in nearly every contest last year, how did you help it recover or work around it, people usually take months off training and competition in all sports with an injury like that, like mark felix, kevin nee and mariusz tearing their biceps.
thanks

I noticed the rock climbing shoes in the truck pull video... what kind are they, how much, and do you think they help (haven't seen you use them before). Thanks.

Derek, my name is Daniel Rowland. I live in Texas and Im trying to het into my first novice strongman comp. I wa a former powerlifter but I layer off the weights for a few Yeats to do some boxin and now I'm back! I'm about 6'1 235. I have a a pretty good back ground and understanding to strength and power traing but I was wondering if it was possible to train 6 days a week for the strong man including one event day without overtraining. I get really bored on a 4 hour break I have between school and work so I igure I could workout but I don't want to jepordize my progress. Just wondering if you could give me some advice on that?

Hey Derek, I have been into bodybuilding for about 3 years and have just been focusing on getting as strong as possible at the squat bench deadlift military press and barbell row. I am finding my self getting more and more interested in strongman and am wondering what you think would be the best plan if im looking to compete in an amature comp in 1 years time.

Should I continue making the best gains I can to my squat bench deadlift bb row and military press and implement events maybe 6-8 weeks out from the comp? or should I take re structure my program completely for the next year in order to implement events?

im currently doing bill star 5x5 making progress of about 5lbs a week on every main lift. i was going to take out wednesdays workout and add in events day.

what do you think?

Derek one more question, i have often thought that my short height would have a negative effect on pro strongman. right now i am 5 foot 8, and i hear you stop getting taller at 25 so maby i have a chance at being 5 9. so my question is how bad do you think this will effect me? i am sure i will be able to gain enough weight as i have a large frame...im just not tall.
Good luck with the worlds strongest man Derek, i know youll win. i was at the 09 arnold classic and saw you compete. nobody has a chance at WSM

Derek,

and a couple more more:
any comments on the WSM (2009)?
and what are the future plans right now? still holding 320+?
just saw the changes to the Arnold (no yoke) and a lot heavier... any comments?

ivanpower
01-01-2010, 10:47 AM
derek....
what assistance exercises do you do for legs or do you only do squats...?

and whats your thoughts on knee wraps . do you use them?

Ryan Bracewell
01-06-2010, 01:42 AM
By Tjoe:
I saw this post in another thread and would like Dereks comments so copied it here:

I'm hearing a rumor that there might not be a WSM in 2010. With the loss of MetRx as a sponsor and the gain in popularity of things like poker and bowling, WSM is getting less play on TV which means less money. And in the end, WSM is a TV show not a true contest. I hope that this doesn't happen but it would not surprise me.

Derek Poundstone
01-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by redline777

Bodybuilding and Strongman and vastly different sports. I know Mariusz and I say lean but the heavy loads we put on our bodies causes us to have large joints, waits and hips. I think Mariusz would be decent but by all meast the guys at he top of the pro ranks hold huge amounts of muscle and work very hard on having tight waist and nice proportions. Its one thing to be lean, its another thing to be in contest shape! As far as me, I was a big fan of bofybuilding while growing up and still enjoy the sport. Its not my desire to be bodybuilder thought, Im just facinated by the sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRENGTH-TRAINING
hi Derek
thanks brother

Creatine is in the Dark Matter which I take in workout days in addition to Trac which I also take for a few months a year. I dont hink its nessisary to come off creatine as long as you note taking huge amounts. I used to cycle creatine on and off for sevreal months at a time but it seems like there is so many product on the market with creatine, I dont bother cycling off. rely on the dark matter for my creating and I will cycle in the TRAC for a few months leading into a comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Bracewell
Derek,

Ryan, tough question as every guy drives me because I dont like to lose! I will have to say that the guy who I've competed against the most since 2003 and has pushed me the most would be Travis. We're such bitter rivals "on the field" but I've delevloped a good friendship with Travis. Hell, I gotta see the guy at every competiton I go to, might as well get along..... jk!! It seems like in the sport we've both grown at about the same time and had our fair share of ups and downs. 2010 will be Travis and my 7th year as a pro, I took some time off from April 04 - December of 05 and had some work to do when I came back to the sport and at that time Travis was one of the top guys in the sport in the US if not "the" top guy. He and Jesse were bitter rivals and woud take turns beatting the hell outts each other at comps. I worked my way up and didn't start to dominate untill 2007. To some it may seem like it happened so quick but man has it been a rough rouad with some tough ass competitions along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublin-lifter

I'd say I love OHPing and brutal medleys the most! As far as favorite Strongman, I'd have to say when I was growing up I didn't get to watch the sport too much as I spent the first 10 years of my life in Europe. I didn't start watching the sport until about 1999 and became big fans of Svend, Magnus Samuelson, Joko and Mariusz. Over the years I've met some of my idols and in that time I've become a huge fan of Kaz. As I've grown in the sport I've had the the chance to speak with Kaz on severla occasions. The guy is a class act and I love the reruns of his WSM performances in addition to some of the one off stuff they did in the early 80's!!
Quote:
hi Derek
thanks

Both are nessisary but one is not more important then the other. Kind of an odd question really?? Fat is a nessisary part of human metabolism and cards are the best sorce of energy for the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITstrongman

I use a elliptical or stair stepper as its easier on my joints. Running when your over 300 lbs is not such a good idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbz

Cambered bar squats are different then using a regualar bar. Using a cambered bar forces you to stay more upright in the squat so I could use a cmabered bar but it cant replace using a straight bar. I have squated with a cambered bar but I;ll compare it to deadlifting with a trap bar. Its still a squat but its hits the legs differently. The cure for me is to purchase a longer bar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Strongman
Derek,

thank you - WIll

Molds are pretty affordable through Slater Stones and Hardware in Ohio. You can pick up a single mold and make a bunch of stones. As far as gym lifts, I'd say front squats and deadlifts are a good strat.
Quote:
thanks

The guys you mentioned all had detatched or nearly detached bicepts (their bicept was no longer connected to the radius/ulna). I suffered a muscle rear in my pec close to the point of insertion on the shoulder. I was in a fair bit of pain but after the 2008 Arnold I stayed away from benching for a few months. THe pec healed on its own and you can hardly tell it was ever torn. Again, my pec wasn't detached from my shoulder, it was a tear within the muscle. I just suffered a similar such tear in my tricept a few days back. This one was releativly minor but it brused up like hell. This sort of thing will happen when you train with heavy weights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoe

Joe, I've had the shoes since 2006, they are Sportive Mythos and are around $175 I believe and rock climbing shoes make a huge difference on a truck pull!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowland

I would advise against training 6 days a week. I think 5 days is pushing it really as I know there s a ton of Pro's that train 3 or 4 days a week. Training with the impliments strongman do casues more then just muscle damage. Among other things, it puts a huge strain on your CNS. You grow and get stronger when you rest, not when your in the gym.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syssstem

what do you think?

If interested in competing, I'd say you need to incoperate a program that is sport specific. The lifts you speaking of are a staple of SM but you need to train the log and or axle on your shouder day, various forms of Deadlifting and squating on your leg day etc... Trying to prepare just a few months out makes no sence when you have a year. Its not all about strength, al lot of what we do is based upon techniqe that you can only learn by training the impliments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Strongman

I can't answer this question for you. This is something you need to answer. Do you want to be a pro? If so, who cares what the mold is, go out there compete and earn your card. If I told you "no", would you just give up because I said so? If thats the case, then yo dont want it bad enough. Sorry if I'm comming across as harsh but you need to figure out how you want to over come being a shorter guy. You should excell on the press, squat and deadlift events. The stones and loading events will be your biggest obsticle but I train with a guy name Joe who's 5'3, 170 lbs abd demolishes stone's. YouTube- Joe from Ct strength Atlas Stone Run
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameofInches
Derek,

I have a system that I adhear to but I guess the best way to describe it is Deload.

and a couple more more:
any comments on the WSM (2009)?
and what are the future plans right now? still holding 320+?
just saw the changes to the Arnold (no yoke) and a lot heavier... any comments?
Comments on 2009 WSM - It was a tough group of guys. I was the strongest I've ever been (untill now!!). Not my best group of events and on a few of them it came down to tenths of a second seperating several palcings. The biggest heart breaker was the bann on my deadlift hitch which came about the day before qualifying. I wasn't ahppy about the decision but what can you do. WSM feels its not safe!!
Future Plans - Win the Arnold again. I'm currently holding 340 lbs, not 320 and as far as the events changes, I like them. Since they are making the frame so heavy, I can see why they are dropping the Yoke. Yoke was a great event for me but so are all the other events!!

Colossal
01-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for remembering RX Derek!

I met you at the Paxton Strongman show back in December. It was great for morale and for the sport to have you at a small local show.

Derek Poundstone
01-07-2010, 12:55 AM
derek....
what assistance exercises do you do for legs or do you only do squats...?

and whats your thoughts on knee wraps . do you use them?
Only Squats? Is there any other leg excersise (insert sarcasm here)?? Yup I just squat, there's tons of squats and I do them all! I dont use knee wraps, just dont like them.

By Tjoe:
I saw this post in another thread and would like Dereks comments so copied it here:

I'm hearing a rumor that there might not be a WSM in 2010. With the loss of MetRx as a sponsor and the gain in popularity of things like poker and bowling, WSM is getting less play on TV which means less money. And in the end, WSM is a TV show not a true contest. I hope that this doesn't happen but it would not surprise me.
THe first topic, I do believe there will be a WSM 2010! I happen to have met a few companies that have showed interest in sponsoring WSM and put Barry Frank and them in touch so we'll see. I will say with the lack of airing the 2009 WSM, I can see how this can be rumored. I would imagine this more has to do with PartyPoker.net sponsoring the event. The FCC has issues with gambaling websites advertising (sponsoring an event with adds in the background counts as an add) on TV. PartyPoker.com got around this by using their sister website, partypoker.net which doesnt promote gambling but just alows you to download their sorftawe to play for "fun". Now check out partypoker.com, notice something, its the same site but now you can play for money!!

As far as WSM not being a true contest, you're crazy. Cant speak for the prior years as I wasnt there but in 08 and 09 its been a hell of a contest! I will admit its a little differnt then others but there is not favortism or unfairness as some have said. Its a great comp and now it seems everyone is going to have a crack at it from now on!!

Ryan Bracewell
01-07-2010, 01:34 AM
Derek, I was not saying that WSM is not a "real" contest like wrestling or something like that, but basically stating that in the end WSM is a TV show unlike say the Arnold or Fortissimus. Was not saying something it was a joke or fake, shit, I hope to compete in WSM one day but I have to stop getting 2nd at all the damn pro qualifiers.

Colossal
01-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Derek-

How long did it take you to get up to 340 lbs? For example, what was your approximate weight when you started doing amateur strongman? Is maintaining this weight a constant battle of stuffing yourself or has it just become a normal part of life?

tjoe
01-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Derek-

How long did it take you to get up to 340 lbs? For example, what was your approximate weight when you started doing amateur strongman? Is maintaining this weight a constant battle of stuffing yourself or has it just become a normal part of life?Since he doesn't get here too often let me interject:
He competed at apx 275 in 2003
Before he won Fortissimus he was an all time high of 320 (prior to getting sick)
Now he is sitting around 341 or so.

Pretty sure he has to work at. I remember him going on a cruise and he pretty much made it a mission to get to 320. He also has a ridiculous work ethic and must burn a TON training. That, and I don't think anyone "drinks" 2 pounds of chicken if it were easy to gain :no:

Sandpig
01-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Derek, thanks for stopping by.

Irish
01-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Hey Derek, got to see some of the Malta WSM show during the week.

What event did you like the most, I enjoyed watching the one arm dumbell press, you seem to have the technique down.

Do you train specifically for this, I saw that Tommy Marku couldnt manage to get any reps on this, it is hard when you havent trained for this movement.

ivanpower
01-10-2010, 07:12 AM
i think you ment jimmy marku .........

ivanpower
01-10-2010, 07:14 AM
derek......
for your deadlift training,
do you pull every week, or every second week.?
do you do much rack pulls and do they give you much of a carry over to your deadlift off the ground. ?

Irish
01-10-2010, 06:06 PM
i think you ment jimmy marku .........

LOL, yeah.

Derek Poundstone
01-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Derek-

How long did it take you to get up to 340 lbs? For example, what was your approximate weight when you started doing amateur strongman? Is maintaining this weight a constant battle of stuffing yourself or has it just become a normal part of life?
Joe's got it right, I was 275 when I first started the sport back in 2003. I was 290 when I won my pro card in 2004 and just under 300 when I won ASM in 2007. Since 07 I slowly gained up to a high of 320 back in March of 2008 and basically stayed at that weight untill October of 2009. SIne Oct I've decided to pack on more weight an am curently weighting on just over 340 lbs on my path to 350 for the Arnold Classic. I'd like to compete at 340 the rest of the year as I'm still lean and in pretty good shape. I see so many guys that just care about the weight and get very unhealthy. Since 2003 I've packed on 65 lbs which seems like a ton but 20lbs of that has been in the past three months or so. So from 2003 - 2009 I put on 45 lbs, I've seen guys gain that in a year! THe guys are getting bigger and bigger and at WSM I was still on the light side at 320. I have room to gro so I've made a huge effort to pack on the last 20 lbs and its been a bitch!! I'm stuffing myself constantly and stopped cardio. I'll start back up with the cardio after the Arnold.

Hey Derek, got to see some of the Malta WSM show during the week.

What event did you like the most, I enjoyed watching the one arm dumbell press, you seem to have the technique down.

Do you train specifically for this, I saw that Tommy Marku couldnt manage to get any reps on this, it is hard when you havent trained for this movement.
I like the dumbell but I'd have to say my favorite event was pulling the plane. How many times do you get to hitch yourself up to a huge passenger airplane and pull it!! On the subject of the dumbbell, I have a huge circus dumbbell made for me by Steve Slater (slaterhardware.com) that I train on, the movement comes naturally for me. I had never really done a large dumbell press prior to 2008 Arnolds but still set a WR there!

derek......
for your deadlift training,
do you pull every week, or every second week.?
do you do much rack pulls and do they give you much of a carry over to your deadlift off the ground. ?
There is no set in stone way to train for strength so I can tell you what I do but its not universal. I pull everweek unless I'm having a back issue which happens about once every month or so. I also do event training which entails pucking up heavy stones, fingal fingers and frames/farmers. I will suggest you dont train heavy deadlift often at all and spend the energy doing reps instead. Im not a fan of maxing out in general! The work gets done in high intensity sets.

tjoe
01-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Derek Poundstone I missed the gym today, I was invited to a ceremony held by the Waterbury Olympian Club where I was honored for my athletic achievement and work with youth in the community! The State of CT and City of Waterbruy also game me citations. To say I am Honored is an understatement, I'm at a loss for words...........

Pretty cool Derek! Congrats!

Sandpig
01-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Derek Poundstone I missed the gym today, I was invited to a ceremony held by the Waterbury Olympian Club where I was honored for my athletic achievement and work with youth in the community! The State of CT and City of Waterbruy also game me citations. To say I am Honored is an understatement, I'm at a loss for words...........

Pretty cool Derek! Congrats!
Congrats, Derek.

STRENGTH-TRAINING
01-13-2010, 05:59 PM
hi derek,
do you ever do ever do high reps in the squats and deads, up to 12-20, its one thing biulding one reps maxes, and high reps just kill me, do you try to bring up your 1 rep max and rep maxes. do you do it in the same workouts?

how many calories are you getting in roughly to get up to 340 lbs?.
thanks

wolverine565
01-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Derek,
My son and I watched the WSM this past weekend. He has decided that he wants to be a pro strongman when he grows up. He went outside and took 4x4x8 landscape timbers and set them up like fingal fingers. He runs through them, flipping them over and does a little yelling into an imaginary camera. He is 10yrs old. He wants to be like you and travis. I told him travis lives on the north side of houston, we live south of houston. Anyway, he wants to know if you have any advice for him on how you got started? I'm hoping he will stick with this. He is naturally strong and husky. He needs this as a confidence booster, so anything you can tell me to tell him would be greatly appreciated.

blackened
01-15-2010, 08:39 AM
hey derek. im 17 and have been training for about 1 year now. i have watched wsm for many years and lifting weights has always interested me. i wanna be a really strong guy but i have trouble putting weight on because im naturally really slim. i was wondering if you could tell me how much calories i should be aiming for in a day, and what exercises and supplements are good for bulking up.
thanks, ben

tjoe
01-16-2010, 09:20 AM
I KNOW it's that "other site" but it is Poundstone and it has INFORMATION! So here is a link to Poundstone and Evan hittin a little pressing session:

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/train-w-pros/2635-evan-centopani-and-derek-poundstone-train-chest.html

Colossal
01-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Great video...Thanks!

Darkseid
01-23-2010, 08:41 PM
I KNOW it's that "other site" but it is Poundstone and it has INFORMATION! So here is a link to Poundstone and Evan hittin a little pressing session:

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/train-w-pros/2635-evan-centopani-and-derek-poundstone-train-chest.html

We need some RX Derek Poundstone videos...

fudo myo
01-24-2010, 08:22 AM

They have added a deadlift day. Poundstone follows a gyms worth of weight pulls with 600lb front squats!

LDM299
02-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Does Derek have an official website?

tjoe
02-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Not yet.
But I think it will be "poundstonepower.com" once it is up and running.

LDM299
02-04-2010, 07:43 PM
oK thanks TJ

tjoe
02-08-2010, 04:09 PM
A little charity work by the big man!

UwPzWhWED0U

tjoe
02-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Dereks current "plate" looks pretty full:
That I know of:
-The Arnold
-Mohegan Sun Super Series
-Andy Boltons Deadlift Challenge

tjoe
03-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Ob5l152ZsZA
:yep:

smj091977
03-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Ob5l152ZsZA
:yep:

Whoah! Damn strong! Derek Poundstone for a repeat??!!

tjoe
03-05-2010, 06:27 PM
check out the new site!!

http://www.poundstonepower.com/

rinse
03-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Things are looking pretty good for Derek at the Arnold right now. I really think he can pull it off as it looks now.

Good luck Derek!

bigZnat
03-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Congrats on the Arnold win Derek!! You're a true motivation....one true, strong ass, all American brotha

Sandpig
03-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Derek, congrats on the win and the engagement.

tjoe
03-08-2010, 08:44 PM
http://www.rxmuscle.com/hmr-radio-show/1204-jefftheproducer-hmr.html

The interview on HMR after his 2010 Arnild win.
Starts at 96:45

tjoe
03-09-2010, 12:15 PM
check it out!

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?p=313796#post313796

crashcrew56
03-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Congrats on the win at the Arnold and the engagement

Sandpig
03-10-2010, 07:04 AM
check it out!

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?p=313796#post313796

Cool.

trapz
03-15-2010, 07:24 AM
Hey Derek, I'm a big fan of you and you are the reason that I included clean and press in my workout regimen.

Now I am from a country where there is no scope for a budding strongman, here every person in the gym talks about lean physiques and six pack abs, and have rubbish goals and plans not to mention the low carb and low fat diets.
I've been gymming for about 3 years, but only since past few months I've got serious about strength and switched to SQUATS and Deadlift,and gone heavy in my bench.
But I've been making steady gains in those lifts(bnch=220lbs,dlft=350lbs,sqt=265lbs).
In about a year I would have a job(regular 9 to 5) which I know I would regret...

How can I get started in strongman?

Burning Beard
03-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Great win at the Arnold.

tjoe
04-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Winning his 3rd Mohegan Sun Super Series event (2010)
J9nfTUlX7_c

smj091977
04-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Holy Crap he made most of those lifts look easy! Congrats Derek!

STRENGTH-TRAINING
05-04-2010, 04:31 PM
hi derek
do you recommend any good supplements for joints, you always squat and over head press, do you use any supplements like glucosamine to help your joints.
thanks

Bigbull1
07-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Congrats Derek on all your success! I'm sure that this year will be full of many more wins to come you seem to be in a good place mentally. Can you fill me in on where and what kind of gear you wear during training? I am not yet to competition(military makes it hard) but I train as if I am. I am looking around and have found Inzer's power shorts and such but I figured I would ask what kinda products you use in your training. Thanks

tjoe
09-06-2010, 08:10 AM
a-cl7FxsBig

2010 WSM coming up!!

SupplementJunkie
09-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Oh man, I can't believe that. I gotta tell ya what though, if anyone can come back and do it now, it's him. He is a machine..

robert da strongman
09-06-2010, 10:32 AM
holy crap!!

tjoe
09-06-2010, 02:04 PM
crazy that he broke the Circus DB press 2 days after that injury!
He will need First place finishes in all pressing movements and he will need to play it smart on the others and try to finish in the top/middle just to hold a high placing. It would be to his advantage to come out swinging since once in first place, you can go last on the next event. IF that next event happens to be "leg dependent" he will know exactly what he NEEDS to do, rather than trying to go all out.
Gonna have to his his head on this one and play it smart!

tjoe
09-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Despite Torn Quad, Derek Poundstone says: “I’m Going to Compete” in World’s Strongest Man

by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2010 IronMind

“Everything is attached,” strongman competitor Derek Poundstone told IronMind today, responding to reports that he might have torn ligament, as he confirmed that his injury was a muscle tear, but that won’t keep him out of the 2010 MET-Rx World’s Strongest Man contest.

Right before Fortissimus 2008, Derek Poundstone was diagnosed with abscessed tooth, but that didn’t keep him from biting into the contest and leaving with the title. For Poundstone, dealing with pre-contest injuries is familiar territory, and he told IronMind that he plans to compete in the MET-Rx World’s Strongest Man contest despite his torn quad. IronMind® | Randall J. Strossen photo.

“Muscle tears are unpredictable,” Poundstone said, as he explained that his medical doctor had said there was no way that he would be able to compete in the upcoming World’s Strongest Man contest, and the hard charging Poundstone allowed that he’d personally reached the point where he was saying to himself, “No—I can’t do it.”

But that’s all changed now and Poundstone, who sounds confident and ready to jump in the fray, said that late last week he decided not only that he could compete, but that he would and, fitting his style, he’s already running through events in his mind, ticking off what won’t even be affected by his leg. Confidence is in no short supply for the strongman who has a history of going from the doctor’s office or the hospital to the field of competition on a somewhat regular basis—always beating the odds as he’s won when the conventional wisdom was that he’d be sidelined.

Focusing on the MET-Rx World’s Strongest Man 2010 contest, Poundstone said, “If it hurts, I’ll just drop out . . . but I don’t think it will happen.”

Meanwhile, while letting his torn quad heal, Poundstone is banging away on his upper body training, doing 315 lb. x 10 in the seated military press today, for example, along with farmer’s walk shrugs (150 lb. per hand) and side laterals (50 lb. for 3 sets of 12 reps).

“My upper body’s never been stronger,” said Poundstone. “I’m going to compete . . . What can the body do?!”

robert da strongman
09-08-2010, 03:02 PM
crazy that he broke the Circus DB press 2 days after that injury!
He will need First place finishes in all pressing movements and he will need to play it smart on the others and try to finish in the top/middle just to hold a high placing. It would be to his advantage to come out swinging since once in first place, you can go last on the next event. IF that next event happens to be "leg dependent" he will know exactly what he NEEDS to do, rather than trying to go all out.
Gonna have to his his head on this one and play it smart!

insane...hugo girard put up 20 reps recently. should have the m go head to head.

tjoe
09-13-2010, 02:25 PM
he just posted this on Marunde:

I'm very appreciative of all the kind words and support. The healing process has been going very well while here in South Africa. The last few days I have been able to do cardio and today I can bear my entire weight on my left thigh. The quad has atrophied a little but there is only a little pain when doing body weight squats. The biggest issue I'm having is some knee pain from the lack of mobility for over 3 weeks now. I have about 90% of my range of motion now but have been getting some knee pain when doing body weight squats. This should subside in the next day of so but I still have a rather large hematoma in my quad between the muscle and fascia. The event I am dreading the most is the giant Farmers walk which is the first event for my group. It will be my first time using my thigh in a month and the impliemnts are the same as last year, very large and wide so it will be bumping on my leg at the point where my quad is most tender. Besides that, all my other nagging injuries feel great from all the rest. My group is going to be quite interesting with Terry's injury and Skog and Robert looking bigger then ever with the interesting mix of events. I'm excited and at this point have nothing too lose!! BTW, I'm wearing a new color in my group for this years WSM................ I'll give you a hint, I've been nicknamed the "Pink Poundstone"!!

tjoe
09-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Something happend while I was flying to Vegas from SA. Sometimes the journey is more important then the destination and this was a journey I needed to take. This is what I live for. The end of this journey has led me to become 3x America's Strongest Man. I might get wounded in battle but I will always pick myself up and keep fighting.

tjoe
10-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Great interview with Callie about Derek and the WSM and ASM.

Check it out:

Interview with Derek Poundstone
By: Callie Marunde-Best

After winning America’s Strongest Man at the Olympia Expo Sept 25-26, 2010 Derek Poundstone granted me an interview. Anyone who knows Derek can attest to his gift of gab and let me tell you he had a lot to say.
Not only is Derek America’s Strongest Man (three times), he is one hellofa physical specimen to look at. Standing 6’1 in his flat shoes, he is shorter in comparison to some of the strongest humans to walk the planet. What he lacks in height he makes up in weight (and width). He weighs anywhere from 325-345 pounds. I last saw him at 330 (at World's Strongest Man in South Africa where we also had the same flights back to Vegas). I am not joking when I say that people literally stopped conversations, hit their friends and pointed at Derek. Some whispered and others flexed at him (I still don’t understand why very skinny or very fat people do this). Either way Derek was looking like a freak as he walked through the airports from South Africa to Las Vegas where he would attempt to regain his title as America’s Strongest Man after a not so stellar performance at WSM.

Let's back track a bit with a little history on his preparation for WSM. In June 2010 Derek’s hand had been in a cast for three weeks because he had a partially torn ligament at the base of his thumb. This injury was work related (putting a criminal in cuffs). When life handed Derek lemons, he added tequila and salt (always my idea of a good time). A week long cruise and a few nights in Miami were just what the doctor ordered, resting the thumb of course, and eating at the buffet (a main priority). After he got the cast removed he had another set back. The Connecticut heat and rigorous training schedule Poundstone had jumped back into had caused some electrolyte imbalances resulting in another two weeks of rest. In other words he had not trained in June and most of July.

He was frustrated that he was forced to rest as WSM was quickly approaching. According to Derek the month before WSM is not the time to increase training trying to get stronger (his time to really make improvements had passed by while recovering from dehydration and his torn thumb ligament). Poundstone believes strength gains are minimal for the output and effort in workouts so close to contest. So his approach to WSM is to decrease training and be fully rested and injury free.

After about two weeks of training August 19 to be exact Derek had a squat day. Like a few other elite strongmen I know Derek goes by feel, not necessarily a typical periodization schedule. It was a night for squats and also the night that sent Derek into WSM and America’s Strongest Man with a torn quad.

The way Derek tells it is like this: 645 for three sets of three because it felt right. First two sets went great. The last set took a turn for the worst. First rep was a little off, second rep felt a twinge, third rep felt a huge snap. And down came Derek and 645 lbs of metal.
“This is it, I’m done. No World's this year,” is the thought that ran through his head. The pain Derek experienced was comparable to being stabbed with a “Big Old Rambo Knife”. It was worse then his two herniated disks, pec tear, and tricep tear all put together. It was ten seconds of pure hell.

Derek, his training partners, and his fiancé Kristin could not have been more devastated by this injury. After this happened Derek had some serious thinking to do about possibly pulling out of WSM. Kristin was a huge support to Derek during this time, not only picking up the slack of cooking and cleaning but being a pillar of emotional support. Let us not forget the old saying behind every great man is a great woman. (The couple will be married in June 2011) Derek and Kristin kept his injury quiet until he had some time to recover and assess what he was capable of bringing to his upcoming competitions.

Anyone who knows Derek or any champion will recognize one similarity. Champions reek of Will and Determination. That was the scent of Derek going into WSM and America’s Strongest Man (perhaps some tiger balm too). I have seen time and time again if a man competes and is unsure of his capabilities he will never rise to the occasion, but if a man comes in with a plan to win he is unwavering. This was Derek’s approach to both contests (although this philosophy did not bring a first place trophy home from WSM, it did from America’s Strongest Man).

September 1, 2010 was the day that Derek decided to go to WSM. This was following a trip (yes with a torn quad) to S. Africa for an appearance with Solae (his sponsor) and then to Japan to break a world record with the Thomas Inch dumbbell for 17 repetitions. Typically he would not have chosen to take a trip a few weeks prior to the most important contest of his life, but the economics of a week trip for Poundstone added up to more then a 2nd place finish at WSM. At this point Derek had determined that a first place finish may not be realistic, but podium was within his reach.

Derek’s the spokesperson for Solae www.solae.com He is the first strongman to sign a contract with a company for four and a half years and over seven figures! It looks like Derek got some brains with that bronze. I would compare Poundstone and Solae to Beyoncé and L’Oreal. Not in dancing but business.

Attention Strongman: You are valuable!!! Stop working for products and tee shirts and get yourselves some money!!! If no one is willing to work for free then everyone will eventually get paid. Make demands! You are professional athletes getting paid peanuts!!! Feel free to contact me about this on face book (Callie Marunde)

Back to topic.

Derek finished in 9th place at WSM. When his Mary Lou Retton finish and becoming America’s sweetheart did not happen, this put things into perspective for him. Usually Derek has some type of injury going into a contest, for most strongmen this is normal. What is abnormal is competing for 6 days in a foreign country at the most grueling competition known to man, with a torn quad and having torn all the calluses off his hand, then traveling 24+ hours (3 hrs in a bus and 23 on a plane and all the in-between) to his next contest and KICKING ASS!
Something happened to Derek after not performing as well as he thought at WSM. He licked his wounds and straightened out his tail all the way back to Vegas and went to America’s Strongest Man with something to prove. He wanted to end the year with a win, and he did. Let me tell you something about Derek. He is stubborn and competitive! My husband Nick Best and I both told Derek to seriously reconsider competing just hours after stepping off the plane. We feared for his safety since his body was so broken down. Well Derek I am glad you proved us wrong 

I am sure that all the competitors at America’s Strongest Man had counted Derek out, but Derek had something else in mind. Here are the final scores
Derek 70.5, Jenkins 61,White 51,Hanson 48, Palmer 45.

The proof is in the pudding with Poundstone. What most people don’t want to do, he does for fun. When others' bodies tell them to quit Derek’s says, "Give me more." Perhaps he is a glutton for punishment, either way I am looking forward to seeing him continue to shock and amaze people with his super human strength. If you want to hear what Poundstone thinks you can listen in on his live radio show starting near the end of October. Check out his website for details www.poundstonepower.com

tjoe
11-02-2010, 06:12 AM
Poundstone Power Radio - RX Muscle Forums

For further questions and comments please refer to the thread posted above.

Derek Poundstone
11-04-2010, 06:42 AM
First show went great, thanks for posting this up Joe! I'll be referring to this website for topic ideas for the show so keep posting up questions and I will answer then on the show and also on here.

robert da strongman
11-04-2010, 07:15 AM
will there be a podcast or a streaming version of the show?

Michael K. Scott
11-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Derek, I know you eat massive amounts of food and do the 2 lb chicken shake. How exactly do you get your meals in while on patrol? Do you ever miss meals?

thanks

tjoe
11-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey Everyone,
If you get a chance check out ESPN tomorrow (Saturday Nov 13) from 10am-12. Derek is a guest on College Game Day and will help pick the college games for this weekend. He will also pull the College Game Day tour bus. He is promoting his new radio show that airs Wed nights on Sirius/XM. This is GREAT for the sport and hopefully the general public will see how interesting the sport is and how intelligent the men and women who take part in it are. I am a firm believer that Derek is a great represenative for all of you. So show your support and be proud!

ArmoredCore94
11-21-2010, 11:57 AM
hey derek. i checked the post you put on your training split. how do you train chest & back on the same day? excercises, sets, reps?

congrats on the good work, the futures looking bright for ya:yep:

Ryan Bracewell
11-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Derek will be on RX Power Hour this week(recording Monday night), and we will discuss his new radio show and training. If you have any specific questions for him please post them here or PM them to me.

tjoe
11-21-2010, 04:06 PM
general training stuff would be great. thoughts about the leg. next contest.
does he still do specific cardio?

smj091977
11-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Derek,
I have friends in law enforcement and it always seems that the drunk idiots always single out the biggest cops to try to prove themselves, any experiences with this? I am also curious how often you get "I'm going to sue" or "wait until my lawyer gets a hold of you" and whether or not anyone has ever actually tried suing you and the department, thats if you are willing and or able to talk about it.
I hope you have made a full recovery, congratulations on all of your success.

tjoe
11-23-2010, 07:31 AM
oh yeah... and more vids of training on youtube. He was putting up a lot a year or so ago but then he stopped. I saw him mention an 800 pull recently but hearing about it and seeing it are two different things.

AlphaMaleDawg
11-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Derek, how much and how often do your drink beer or other alcoholic beverages?

jonny150
12-20-2010, 03:42 AM
derek,lots of great info here on your diet,training,etc! THANKS BUDDY...APPRECIATE IT DEREK!

The Egyptian
03-24-2011, 02:05 AM
damn hope derek can come thru his injuries and do wsm this yr

ZenFit
04-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Good question Thad, here's an Answer I posted on an interview from another forum back in July of 2007, I will add upon this reply;
Again, I took a more scientific approach to overhead pressing for reps. Realizing that there are more factors in clean and pressing each rep then just the overhead press. With a 280-LB log, seldom do my shoulders fail before I just get winded. I found a more efficient way to press the log from the lap without a jerk. I found the jerk wasted way too much energy by utilizing the legs. Jerking, however, does make the press easier. So I began adjusting my log pressing technique by pressing from the lap and making the overhead portion of the press strict. By doing this, my shoulders would fail just as I reached the limit of my conditioning. For a heavy log, I still press in three motions, floor to lap, lap to shoulders then shoulders to lockout overhead.

its nice to have a CT boy representing the sport so well! keep it up DP
This was how I was able to become a more efficient presser, now I would say my raw shoulder power is amongst the top in the sport so I’ll go into detail on how I brought up the raw strength. I think again my increase in power in the shoulders has to do with my approach to training. I just simple thought, "where do I and everyone else fail when pressing a heavy weight overhead". This is a simple question in my opinion. I always found that I and most other guys and gals that workout are weak of fail just as you’re clearing the forehead with the bar, axle, log etc.... This goes for seated and standing overhead pressing. With sanding presses it’s a bit higher, like a few inches above your head. This so happens the be where the triceps kick in and your delts are at their weakest angle. Go ahead and mimic the movement while sitting at your computer desk. See how your shoulders are in a position where they are at a mechanical disadvantage. Also you tris start to engage big time at this point of the press. Once you clear this awkward position, you can push your head through and the delts can engage more. So what I did was to work on increasing my triceps power. I didn’t just do things like close grip benches but relied on movements like floor and/or presses, JM presses, skull crushers from all angles etc..... In addition, I'm not scared to bench heavy. This was the reason for my torn pec last year before the Arnold classic. In addition to the triceps and heavy bench work, I simply pressed more then most do, this is the reason why you seldom see my OHP get weaker throughout a contest. Mondays are my shoulder day. I start out with come sort of clean and press. Any implement I want from axle to a block. After 2 sets, either heavy for singles or doubles or light for a million reps, I follow up with a supplementary press. I'll do things like seated presses with no back support with a log or axle, regular military presses, standing strict presses etc.... I follow this up with shrugs and either a side lateral or a crucifix hold.

Rob, I saw a fellow competitor post this list of events. This is all the info I have found;
Log Clean and Press for reps
Max Axle Clean and Press
Frame Carry
Stones
Car Deadlift
Shield Carry

Generally I eat 7 - 8 meals per day and try to get approximately 500 grams of protein, 400 - 500 grams of carbs, and approximately 100 grams of fat just as a starting point and depending on what competition I’m training and what my goals are, example am I trying to stay lean and keep my speed and recovery up or do I just want to focus on putting a ton of weight on and get as powerful as possible. From this base I got from there. Generally while at work I eat three meals, I’m sure to get my protein intake by making chicken puree shakes. The chicken puree starts out as frozen chicken breasts. I boil 2 lbs of the chicken breast in water before work (usually the night before) for about 30 minutes. I then cool the chicken and place the four or five breasts (2lbs) into a high-powered blender filled to the 35 - 40 oz line with water. I blend the chicken on high until it becomes a medium consistency fluid that is drinkable (about a minute). Once done, the 2 lbs of chicken and water make about 40 oz of drinkable puree. I drink 20 oz for two meals at work.

So here’s what a sample day was for the last few months while prepping for the Arnold (note the very high caloric intake) - Wake up 5:45 AM, at 6:00 AM I have protein shake with three scoops of Probolic Protein with 2 cups milk; at 8:30 AM I would do a breakfast sandwich from a local dinner consisting of sausage, 2 eggs and cheese with a small side of breakfast potatoes; at about 11:00 AM I would have half my chicken shake with a PB&J sandwich; 1:00 PM I’d do the other half of the chicken shake with a banana and/or yogurt; at 3:00 PM I’m home from work (I work from 6:30 AM - 2:30 PM most of the year but in the summer months and all of for the past three years I worked from 10:30 PM - 6:30 AM) and would have another Probolic Protein shake again with 2 cups milk and 3 scoops protein (sometimes 2 scoops if I’m not to hungry); at 3:30 I’d start sipping on my Dark Rage as I leave for the gym. I’ll typically train typically for 2 - 3 hours then take a dark matter while I’m still at the gym before I do cardio or if no cardio, I’ll have it as soon as I’m done training. I usually get home around 6:30 - 7:30 PM, I’ll eat once I get hungry after the Dark Matter (about 30 minutes after arriving home). After the gym Kristin, my girlfriend and right hand, will make me a steak (usually 14 - 18 oz NY strip or Ribeye) with a potato or some all Natural Mac n Cheese or just over a lb of chicken. Depending on how late I eat, I’ll sometime get 2 more meals in but usually just have a shake at 9:45 before I go to bed. If dinner was at 6:30 or I was off from the gym and ate around 5 or so, I’ll have a piece of chicken around 8 or so, maybe by itself or when really trying to pack on the sized I’ll have ice-cream with it. In the middle of the night I will get up and have either a bow of cereal of protein shake 3 or 4 times per week.

I will typically eat more pasta and carbs due usually do the general lack of appetite from not training for a few days and trying to keep my calories up. My work and training schedule is such that when I go away for a comp, I typically will gain wait the few days before. For instance while training for the Arnold I was at a high or 323 two weeks about but on the Wednesday before, I was down to 318. The day of the contest I was 325 and on the Sunday after I was 316! For WSM I stayed right at 312 for the two weeks. Here’s an interesting point, I took a cruise to the eastern Caribbean last April and started off weighing my normal 312is when we set sail and by the fourth day I was up to 328!! Its very obvious by my low bf% and what took place at the Arnold and while on the cruise that I could stand to eat a bit more calories. That being said I scheduled a cruise a month before the Mohegan Sun contest to try and get up to 330+. I want to see how I feel competing at this weight as I start planning on how I want to come into Fortissums. I think I’m the only guy really that changes their diet, training and general shape so much depending on the contest.

As I prepare for a contest I tend to sacrifice things like my social life, drinking beer etc.... I think about all that I’ve sacrificed including herniating a disk in my back training for strongman and all the pain I put myself through. I know that all it comes down to that one moment. Contest at this level are one by meer inches, thousandths of a second and a few lbs. This is what I think about!! Plus I’ve been think about the stone dropping in WSM last year, that gets me fired up!!

I've heard the Olympia will have a Strongman Contest this year so that would be yes!

its nice to have a CT boy representing the sport so well! keep it up DP

ZenFit
04-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Derick, im from CT as well,, have you ever worked out at Hardkore fitness in shelton, ct.??

ZenFit
04-22-2011, 11:35 AM
derek have you ever wanted to be a mma fighter?

bubu447
09-21-2011, 04:01 AM
yess Ok Thank Fro You SoMuch info! :yep::yep::yep: