PDA

View Full Version : An interview with Scott Weech

robert da strongman
03-16-2011, 02:05 PM
First off let me say thanks to Scott Weech for doing this. You have to be impressed by this amazing man. Powerlifter and Strongman and world class in both.

1) Give us a little background on yourself. Who you are, where you are from, family, profession. food, boxers or briefs?

Well live in Lakeland FL and work as an EMT in Tampa. I have been married for 5 years to Julie and have a 2 yr. old named Hezekiah. I am an ASC pro strongman and got my first pro win at the Europa last year. And niether I wear boxer briefs.

http://www.rawpowerlifting.com/images/nationals/Scott%20Weech%20-%20825%20Squat.jpg

2) Not only a strongman but you are known as a world class powerlifter. What are some of the numbers you have put up? What feds, equipped or raw? What do you like about powerlifting? Goals you have set for yourself?

In powerlifting I have done a 854 raw squat, 556 raw bench, and 804 rwa DL for a 2215 raw total. This was done without knee wraps and walked out. I was one of the first 6 or so people to squat 1100 in gear and the youngest to squat 1000 and just barely 20. I compete in pretty much any fed that is putting on a contest tht I like. I really dont play the political game. Also I would like to squat 900 raw without knee wraps in the not to distant future and bench 600 raw. Also I would like to place in the top 5 at ASC nats this year.

3) Now the strongman part. How long have you competed? where and when did you turn pro? favorite event and why? also what made you get inot promoting a competition?

Well I turned pro in Charlotte NC in August 2007 I believe. This was my 5th strongman I believe. I really love the sport because of the mixture of events. My favorite events are any pressing event, yoke, and stones. Least favorite is Farmers. I started promoting because I wanted athletes in FL to have another cmp to compete in and I enjoy meeting all of the athletes. Also I believe in putting on a high quality comp. that when athletes walk away at the end they believe they got their moneys worth and then some.

4) training...how do you balance strongman and powerlifting? any special training method, routine you follow?

Well that is tricky. I am still trying to perfect this. Right now I am doing PL Squat and dL day on wed, bench and uper body on thurs. and a mixture of events and conditioning on fri and sat. This seems to be working well but we will see as this year more than in the past I am trying to do more of both.

5) tough question...where do you see both sports headed. good bad and ugly? what needs to be done to bring the sports more mainstream?

A yes perhaps the toughest question of all. Well in PL I actually think it is improving. It seems like there are more events offering money and in some cases pretty good money. I still think less feds and more unity would help. If this were to happen it would mean a bigger pot of cash to pull from and better quality comps. I know for some this would suck because we would not all be able to have world records and be world champs. PL will never be mainstream it is just not that appealing to watch, the only way to do so would be to feature certain lifters and not to try and show entire meets. Strongman seems to be doing fairly well and it will be interesting to see if we can move forward in the next coupe of yrs. WSM is not on as much and Fortissumus, sorry about spelling, also was eliminated, but I think people still like to watch.

6) what is in the future for you? competiton? promoting? life?
plug the comps and sponsors here!!

Well this year I would like to total 2300 raw and do so without knee wraps. Knee wrpas are not true raw. I guess you could also argue that neither is a belt but that is another topic. Also I plan on doing the Olympia and ASC nats. Probably Europa Raw and Raw 504 meet. Personally I plan on going to fire school soon. I would like to see everone out at tis years Central FL Strongman this year as it will be the biggest yet and will be worth flying in for if you dont live in the area. Also big Thanks to AtLarge Nutrition for sponsoring me. I truly have noticed a big diffurence in my training since using their product. Check out their site as well as wannabebig.com. I would not plug them if I did not believe in the products. Also big Thanks to Ken Anderson and Titan for the best gear out there.

grn_9u5wE3U