PDA

View Full Version : The Complete Keys To Progress by John Mccallum

Dan_Manslaughter
03-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Has anyone read this book before? I just finished reading it after my friend sent it to me in the mail. It is fairly old (from the 60's and 70's I believe) but filled with some great routines and written in a fashion that is hilarious. I've been doing the 20 rep squats program and overall has helped me somewhat. I'm trying to do the 20 rep squats (supersetted) with 20 pullovers twice a week. Apparently the key is to do a weight you usually can get 12 reps with, but shoot for 20, possibly taking in 3-4 deep breaths in between each rep. Then immediately doing your pullovers. I've been supplementing my workouts with these and love it even though it is incredibly taxing. Anyone else tried the 20 rep squat program?
http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1174505716m/409174.jpg

Dan_Manslaughter
03-26-2009, 08:13 PM
I went to a 20 rep squat regimen last year and have no regrets. After going stupid heavy and ass-to-grass for years I needed a change. Legs have always been a strong body part for me and they certainly haven't suffered with the higher reps as some "gurus" advocate.

PS Are you the kid from Alaska that was on MD? Always liked your style if it's you. Welcome.

Yeah that's me, i'm the kid from alaska. I tell you what; I started doing the 20 rep squats 4 months ago and I have for the first time some nice veins coming in everywhere on my legs, especially the inner quads. My legs are responding better to this than heavy weight for low reps. I wish I would have been doing this years ago. Also the pullovers seem to be helping with my breathing. I believe it's a routine everyone should try.

robert da strongman
03-26-2009, 08:16 PM
great book

did anyone try the "get big" drink?

Dan_Manslaughter
03-26-2009, 08:19 PM
great book

did anyone try the "get big" drink?

I didn't have enough cajones to try the drink. I'm sure it works but I'd probably look like a baby manatee after drinking it. The greatest thing about the book is McCallum tells funny stories to go along with all his advice. The information in that book is better than what you'll read in most magazines (granted some info is outdated).

Youngguns
03-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Yeah that's me, i'm the kid from alaska. I tell you what; I started doing the 20 rep squats 4 months ago and I have for the first time some nice veins coming in everywhere on my legs, especially the inner quads. My legs are responding better to this than heavy weight for low reps. I wish I would have been doing this years ago. Also the pullovers seem to be helping with my breathing. I believe it's a routine everyone should try.

I also like the idea of higher reps for squats. But in reality like all muscles I believe there are a time and place for high reps and low reps.

Why superset with pullovers?

robert da strongman
03-26-2009, 08:24 PM
I didn't have enough cajones to try the drink. I'm sure it works but I'd probably look like a baby manatee after drinking it. The greatest thing about the book is McCallum tells funny stories to go along with all his advice. The information in that book is better than what you'll read in most magazines (granted some info is outdated).

yeah it is a load of calories
the stories are hilarious

these came out of Strength and Health, the predecessor to MD.

robert da strongman
03-26-2009, 08:25 PM
I also like the idea of higher reps for squats. But in reality like all muscles I believe there are a time and place for high reps and low reps.

Why superset with pullovers?

pullovers expand the rib cage. the idea wasnt to build huge legs but a wide upper body. the squats in the book are breathing squats.