PDA

View Full Version : Strongman athletes.....what supplements do you use?

PowerCoach
03-22-2011, 12:08 AM
What supplements do you currently take for Strongman?

I'm curious to hear your responses, as what's good for bodybuilding isn't necessarily good for strongman/powerlifting, or vice versa.

Be sure and tune in for this weeks RX Power Hour as we also discuss this very topic with our featured guest.

I'll also post this same question in the chem section for the enhanced athletes, as those same rules apply regarding super supps.

Gentlemen......discuss.

Ryan Bracewell
03-22-2011, 12:14 AM
-MaximizeV2 on event days(coffee during the week)
-creatine
-fish oils
-Whey Isolate or weight gainer
-Xtend
-humapro
- Noxitropin and/or ZMA

robert da strongman
03-22-2011, 07:16 AM
chain'd out
humapro
WTF
fish oil

smj091977
03-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Coconut oil instead of fish oil here
a whey/albumin/casein protein
jack3d pre workout
ZMA
flintstones chewable. I cant take a adult multi, it makes me sick. toomuch Iron I think

Ryan Bracewell
03-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Coconut oil instead of fish oil here
a whey/albumin/casein protein
jack3d pre workout
ZMA
flintstones chewable. I cant take a adult multi, it makes me sick. toomuch Iron I think

Shameless plug, but if you like Jack3d you should really try MaximizeV2. Same type of product but you get more of everything(creatine, arginine, time released stims). We discuss it in this weeks show, you should take a listen

wolverine565
03-22-2011, 02:21 PM
concrete, humapro, chain'd out, myofusion, mac oil, anavite, zma

TLG
03-22-2011, 03:27 PM
vitamins!!!

smj091977
03-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Shameless plug, but if you like Jack3d you should really try MaximizeV2. Same type of product but you get more of everything(creatine, arginine, time released stims). We discuss it in this weeks show, you should take a listen

I usually try to listen when I get the chance. I am taking jack3d because it doesn't have the diarhea dosage of magnesium some of the others have. I train alone most of the time, so I rely on it to keep my intensity up. I will try MaximizeV2, I am set to reorder in the next few days.

Ryan Bracewell
03-22-2011, 04:28 PM
I usually try to listen when I get the chance. I am taking jack3d because it doesn't have the diarhea dosage of magnesium some of the others have. I train alone most of the time, so I rely on it to keep my intensity up. I will try MaximizeV2, I am set to reorder in the next few days.

I know what your talking about. I dont have the diarrhea issue with this product but everyone is different. I do recommend getting raspberry lemonade if you decide to get it.

wolverine565
03-22-2011, 11:19 PM
i forgot isolyze, mineralyze, and a bunch of vitamins.

Brian Carley
03-23-2011, 01:08 AM
I keep it pretty simple...
-N-Zero
-fish oil
-animal pack
-flaxseed
-animal flex
-pro and waxy (if you consider those supps)

GV
03-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Does/has anyone taken anything to help support adrenal function (i.e Phytisone or something similar)to thwart off adrenal fatigue?

Any opinions on the matter?

PowerCoach
03-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Does/has anyone taken anything to help support adrenal function (i.e Phytisone or something similar)to thwart off adrenal fatigue?

Any opinions on the matter?

As unexciting as it may be....Vitamin C around 3000 to 5000 mg a day can be very beneficial in this area.

.....suprised I haven't seen mention of a few things on here yet, one of which I will mention being KR-ALA or R-ALA....great glucose loader and one of the strongest antioxidants around and especially for the liver.....much more so than Milk Thistle without the negative impact of reducing the potency of your cycle, if you're an enhanced athlete or using pro hormones.

GV
03-24-2011, 10:24 AM
As unexciting as it may be....Vitamin C around 3000 to 5000 mg a day can be very beneficial in this area.

.....suprised I haven't seen mention of a few things on here yet, one of which I will mention being KR-ALA or R-ALA....great glucose loader and one of the strongest antioxidants around and especially for the liver.....much more so than Milk Thistle without the negative impact of reducing the potency of your cycle, if you're an enhanced athlete or using pro hormones.

I'm all for simple and taking Vit C is simple enough :)

RE: R-ALA.....what if you consume foods rich in lipoic acid (I hope that's what you're referring too :o)....broccoli, spinach, potatoes....is that adequate or is bioavailabilty of ALA from a supplement superior, thus worth taking?

GV
03-24-2011, 12:09 PM
OK, I have another question...on the topic of taking Vit. C and antioxidants....

would you also recommend also taking in selenium, vit. E (& C) and Co-Q10?

.........maybe I should just shut-up, wait & listen to this weeks Power Hour :)

robert da strongman
03-28-2011, 02:55 PM
great show...lot of good info. i am going to revamp some of my supps because of this.

TLG
03-28-2011, 04:13 PM

I thought that leans to the side of caution towards kidney function at that dose.

I listened to a great superhumanradio episode where they went over AF and a docotor came on who treats it, and they talked about dhea helping. I have been trying it, and it has helped me a tiny bit.

Ferguson
03-29-2011, 01:27 AM
It all seems to be impressive and worth looking. And all are looking so powerful and many supplements have been discussed above. I think every body has its own choice to use and depends upon suitability.

PowerCoach
03-29-2011, 01:51 PM
I thought that leans to the side of caution towards kidney function at that dose.

I listened to a great superhumanradio episode where they went over AF and a docotor came on who treats it, and they talked about dhea helping. I have been trying it, and it has helped me a tiny bit.

DHEA can be of benefit as well, depending on the source of the adrenal stress to begin with. Good suggestion, as hormonal balance can often be an important step in taking the stress off your adrenals in many situations. If you notice a benefit than that could be a good choice for you.

Vitamin C in higher amounts such as the possible amounts for adrenal fatigue would normally only be done for a short period of time. Same type of strategy that some people may use with colds and flu's....though again the jury is still out on benefits.
Just like anything, even with vitamins, everything in moderation.
The kidney concerns typcially come from what used to be the thought that oxalate-type kidney stones were contributed from vitamin c.....now the thoughts are varried...some believe it may even help disolve them.
As always, it's best to consult your physician prior to begining any 'self help' type of supplementation.

PowerCoach
04-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Vanadyl Sulfate.....do any of you remember the brand Sportpharma? They made a vanadyl that was a little blue pill, and was the only one out of all the vanadyl products out (back in the day) that did what had previously been claimed.
I could take one and bottom out my blood sugar via glucometer readings in about 40 minutes....as much as I like KR-ALA and R-ALA, that was even stronger from a quick disposal standpoint.