PDA

View Full Version : Desiccated liver tablets

Irish
03-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Has anyone ever taken "desiccated liver tablets" such as Ultra 40 or any other brand?

"
Potent Essential Amino Acids, B-Vitamins, Minerals And Enzymes!
The ultimate liver tablet designed for the hard-training athlete who demands nothing but the best! Although Ultra 40 retains the biochemical spirit of the original, its nutritional value is 45 times greater than that of whole beef liver. All of the essential amino acids are present in Ultra 40 as well as B-vitamins, iron, naturally occurring minerals and enzymes. The absolute superior amino acid tablet on the market today!

Why Ultra 40?
All of us have gotten carried away at one time or another, trying to find that one magical or secret supplement that will give us the incredible muscle and strength gains we're more than willing to work hard to achieve, but just don't seem to come quick enough. Some of the newer supplements on the market (creatine being the best example) do work incredibly well for many people.
However, for continued gains one must stick with the basics of good bodybuilding nutrition. And for more than four decades, desiccated liver tablets have been a mainstay of good bodybuilding nutrition. If we could turn the bodybuilding clock back a few decades, we would be able to clearly see how liver came into prominence as a sports nutrition supplement.

Stories from some of the old timers telling of phenomenal gains being made on 100 plus liver tablets a day are very common. (These were 7.5 or 10 grain. Taking 25-30 Ultra 40 tablets per day would equate to this amount due to the higher potency now available.) Strength, size, and endurance increases are almost always reported when an individual gets on a good quality desiccated liver supplement.

What is Ultra 40?
Ultra 40 liver tablets are one of the most potent training aids for the bodybuilder. The formula is an extract which contains only trace amounts of fat and cholesterol, but forty-five times the nutritional value of whole beef liver, yet with all the nutrients and enzymes of raw liver. Ultra 40 has more going for it than any other food supplement being very high in useable bodybuilding protein (2 grams per tablet) of the highest quality (it contains all the essential amino acids). It's a strong blood builder supplying heme iron. It is a very rich source of B vitamins, especially riboflavin, niacin, B-12, and the lipotropics choline and inositol. It's a good source of vitamins A, C, and D and other micro-nutrients.

In addition to these known nutrients, there are substances present in liver shown to have a beneficial effect on health, fitness, and endurance such as cytochrome P-450 and others yet to be identified. According to Vince Gironda, the "Iron Guru", desiccated liver contains nucleic acids for proper amino acid utilization, a growth factor and an anti-estrogen factor, which keeps testosterone levels high, and it is also a great anti-toxin."

Is the above true in that liver tablets can help a natural bodybuilder progress or is it just a sales pitch? And also are they healthy to take due to the iron content? Cheers...

Dan_Manslaughter
03-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Simply one of the best supplements you can take. I've been taking them for over 3 years. They are cheap so why not. I wouldn't consider not taking them at this point. I usually take 30 a day.

Shulk
03-26-2009, 08:53 PM
I take them, especially during my precontest prep. Offseason, I dont really know, I think I may try eating more protein in the offseason and not taking them just to keep expenses low.

BrandonBass
03-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Yes, I take them and I love them! If I were you I would only take Beverly's Ultra 40...I believe it is the most potent liver tablet. I highly recommend

matt1005
03-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Muscle sparing when dieting, muscle building when not??? why do you take them???

Frosty
03-26-2009, 10:45 PM
There was a study back in the 50s I think where they fed rats 10% desicated liver and they were able to swim much longer before exhaustion than ones without this as a part of their diet.

I do believe there are things found in raw animal products that are destroyed by heat, and perhaps this is part of why liver tabs are good. You're eating the most nutritious organ in a raw, concentrated state.

Gerb
03-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Ultra 40 is good stuff.

Irish
03-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the replies, think I might give "Univerasl uni-liver' tablets a try, they seem to be good value with 500 for about €15

Frosty
03-27-2009, 11:08 AM
The Beverly tabs are way better. The Universal ones use whey as a filler....check the ingredients. This concerns me because calcium inhibits many nutrients from being absorbed that are in liver.

Steve56
03-30-2009, 01:20 AM
now my only problem with the bev liver tabs is the price..they are so damn expensive! I have tried the universal product and the Now liver tabs...do you guys think theirs a big difference in quality?

.THE TRUE ADONIS.
03-30-2009, 02:28 AM
Dessicated Liver Crap-lets.

Larry C
03-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the replies, think I might give "Univerasl uni-liver' tablets a try, they seem to be good value with 500 for about €15

Irish where do they sell them for that price? I'm living in Dublin.

Irish
03-30-2009, 09:06 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/liver.html

(Shit I just noticed the shipping is $30 doh, but if you were ordering a few other things it wouldnt be too bad!)

Irish
03-30-2009, 09:36 AM
€19.99 from irish lifting (based in Dublin) + €7 for shipping

http://www.irish-lifting.com/product_info_supplement.php?cPath=2_30&products_id=87

Judge
03-30-2009, 12:37 PM
check this site too http://www.prosport.net/katalog/product.php?product_id=1070023720

13,99 euros plus 7 euros shipping costs

Larry C
03-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Cheers lads. I won't be getting them just yet as I'm new enough to lifting but I'll keep a note of them for the future.

BigPablo300
03-30-2009, 03:24 PM
I highly reccomend liver tabs. Go for the Ultra 40 from Beverly if you can. By far the most indespensible supplement I can think of. I've been using them for the last 6 years or so. Even though I am no longer natural I still swear by them. I usually take about 40 a day. Great for offseason or precontest.

BigPablo300
03-30-2009, 03:27 PM
now my only problem with the bev liver tabs is the price..they are so damn expensive! I have tried the universal product and the Now liver tabs...do you guys think theirs a big difference in quality?

Yes I do think there is a big difference in quality. You get what you pay for with Beverly. Try www.bulknutrition.com (http://www.bulknutrition.com). They usually have the lowest price on Ultra 40 that I've seen.

Irish
03-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Holy shit 40 a day, it wouldent take too long to go through a 500 pack then! Im definitely goin to order some in a few weeks and see how good they are.

BigPablo300
03-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Holy shit 40 a day, it wouldent take too long to go through a 500 pack then! Im definitely goin to order some in a few weeks and see how good they are.

Start at like 4 with each meal for 4 meals bro till you get used to em. Then bump em up little by little. I've been using them for a while and my system is used to taking that many. Plus I reccomend you stick with them at least a month to really get a feel for them. You won't feel to much right away but the longer you take them the better you get:D Keep us posted.

matt1005
03-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Do you guys "feel" any difference when on them? More Energy? Better workouts?

Dan_Manslaughter
03-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Do you guys "feel" any difference when on them? More Energy? Better workouts?

Definetly some more energy from the b-vitamins. That's something I notice right away. Also the it feels like I have better muscle fullness, but that could be my imagination. Vince Gironda highly recommended taking in liver tabs along with orchic tabs and saturated fats for optimal hormone levels for muscle building for natural bodybuilders.

Koubs
03-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Damn, I'm suprised these are getting so many positive reviews.... The whole study with "rats being able to swim farther" doesn't really convince me (not to be a dick, but that just doesn't translate to bodybuilding in my mind...)...

But a lot of you guys like these, huh?? That real world evidence sparks my interest...

BigPablo: Have you taken any time OFF of them in the past 6 years?? If so, what did you notice when you STOPPED taking them (when you were nattie)??

oldschoollion
03-31-2009, 11:52 AM
The Beverly tabs are way better. The Universal ones use whey as a filler....check the ingredients. This concerns me because calcium inhibits many nutrients from being absorbed that are in liver.
ultra 40 adds calcium phosphate, so both contain it in some form whey added or not.

BigPablo300
03-31-2009, 12:29 PM
Damn, I'm suprised these are getting so many positive reviews.... The whole study with "rats being able to swim farther" doesn't really convince me (not to be a dick, but that just doesn't translate to bodybuilding in my mind...)...

But a lot of you guys like these, huh?? That real world evidence sparks my interest...

BigPablo: Have you taken any time OFF of them in the past 6 years?? If so, what did you notice when you STOPPED taking them (when you were nattie)??

Koubs: Yes I have taken periods of time off. The longest I think was about 9 months but I usually only take a few months off. While I can't see why you couldn't use them year round I usually just got lazy or forgot to buy some or just plain out didn't have the money. I try to use them year round now since 2008 because I'm am really trying to get serious. As for what I noticed, well let me tell you this. I felt the same effects when I was nattie and stopped that I still feel now with aid. Imagine that! Good shit. Usually I lose a bit of my appetite, energy and even a little strength. And as someone else posted I feel and look so much thicker and fuller with them in my diet. Drugs are great and all but real food is the true key and liver tabs are like the holy grail combination of food and supplement all rolled into one great package. It's like super-food! That's just my oppinion though.

tiramisu
03-31-2009, 03:17 PM
or you could just eat liver

Dr Pangloss
03-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Dessicated Liver Crap-lets.

We agree on this.

oldschoollion
04-01-2009, 01:31 PM
or you could just eat liver
i can get more liver for my money with uni-liver tabs over fresh.

AVBG
04-06-2009, 10:02 PM
old school supp, the reason it's still around is because it works.

SwolenONE
04-06-2009, 11:00 PM
I like Ultra 40's, and Uni-Liver are great too for half the price

Of course Uni Liver uses whey filler, but the tabs are bigger/weigh more and have more protein/pill than Beverly's counterpart

Irish
05-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Sorry for diggin up this thread again but I got some dessicated liver tabs after and have been takin them for about a month now and ive noticed better recovery/energy. I didnt get the beverly after because Im way too cheap to buy somthing Im unsure of:D I got a 100 for €4.95 in a local health food shop, they're made by an irish company called 'Sona'.

http://www.sona.ie/product.asp?id=349

I'll definately keep on using liver tablets because they really work!

vboissiere
05-19-2009, 03:55 AM

I didn't know that, thank you.

beau
05-19-2009, 05:59 PM
I highly reccomend liver tabs. Go for the Ultra 40 from Beverly if you can. By far the most indespensible supplement I can think of. I've been using them for the last 6 years or so. Even though I am no longer natural I still swear by them. I usually take about 40 a day. Great for offseason or precontest.

40 tabs a day wow? how many per meal?