PDA

View Full Version : Resveratrol

Sieve
03-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Resveratrol is a polyphenol naturally found in the skin of red grapes, certain berries, and other plants. Scientific studies have shown that Resveratrol supports healthy cardiovascular function.
Opinions?

Will Brink
04-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Resveratrol is a polyphenol naturally found in the skin of red grapes, certain berries, and other plants. Scientific studies have shown that Resveratrol supports healthy cardiovascular function.
Opinions?

And it may increase testosterone:

Resveratrol, The Wonder Supplement And Testosterone Booster? (http://www.brinkzone.com/general-health/study-finds-grape-seed-extract-may-boost-testosterone/)

One compound that has been getting a great deal of attention these days by both researchers and the media is Resveratrol (Res), which is a phytoestrogen and antioxidant derived from grapes. It’s a compound that has been found to act as an anti estrogen, Inhibits aromatase (the enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogens) at high doses, may have effects on weight loss, and has many potential health related benefits.

So far, the stuff looks to a wonder compound. Finally, recent studies also suggest it may increase testosterone levels, and that’s got bodybuilders and other athletes, as well as supplement companies, excited as one might expect.

One recent study getting a great deal of attention entitled “trans-Resveratrol relaxes the corpus cavernosum ex vivo and enhances testosterone levels and sperm quality in vivo” found positive effects on testosterone levels in rabbits. This study found that rats given Res orally at 50 mg/ kg for 28 days concluded
“… resveratrol has a positive effect on male reproductive function by triggering a penile erection, as well as enhancing blood testosterone levels, testicular sperm counts, and epididymal sperm motility.” (1)
Two essential points to remember: the study was done in rabbits and at very high doses. To figure the dose used in the study as it applies to you, which was 50 mg/ kg, use your weight in lbs divided by 2.2 X 50 = dose needed according to this study…However, another study done in animals used a dosage: 20 mg/(kg d) also had positive effects on testosterone, so that might be a good starting dose. It’s not known of course if this is the human equivalent dose (HED) or even what the HED is at this time to effect testosterone in humans or even if it will!

Unfortunately, no conclusive human studies exist at this time, so the “optimal” dose is a WAG at this time. However, anecdotal reports of people using 500mg – 1000mg report positive effects, but it’s far from clear what effects people can expect from these doses of Res, but considering all the other potential health benefits of Res, it may be worth trying.

Shin S, Jeon JH, Park D, Jang MJ, Choi JH, Choi BH, Joo SS, Nahm SS, Kim JC, Kim YB. Arch Pharm Res. 2008 Jan;31(1):83-7

I Eat Therefore I Am
05-25-2011, 10:57 PM
All I had heard about it was cancer prevention and treatment in the Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine. Thanks for the extra info; cancer prevention and test booster!:yep:

Jude2
06-01-2011, 11:33 PM
For longevity it is one of the best supps around. Check out Dr. James Johnson study on asthma patients and how they lost fat and were able to breath better and decrease their meds.

apex23
11-03-2011, 07:31 PM
From what I've read, reservatrol is not bioavailable. Wonder if bioperine might make it more effective.

Any Reservaratrol product recommendations???

apex23
11-08-2011, 07:56 PM
For longevity it is one of the best supps around. Check out Dr. James Johnson study on asthma patients and how they lost fat and were able to breath better and decrease their meds.

Jude2, can you please provide a link?

Thanks in advance.

apex23
11-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Bump

PM
12-19-2011, 03:39 AM
Bump

Will Brink
12-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Bump

Been using it since I wrote the above, can't report anything very interesting or major changes in serum levels of T, but as it has a number of potential health benefits, I continue to use it.

apex23
12-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Will,

Are you able to say what brand and how much you take on a daily basis? I am not looking to use for T levels, just for antioxidant purposes.....Thanks

Will Brink
12-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Will,

Are you able to say what brand and how much you take on a daily basis? I am not looking to use for T levels, just for antioxidant purposes.....Thanks

Followed the dose in my write up above, used Life Extension Foundation brand, as I do for many of the supps I take BTW.

daft205
12-19-2011, 09:52 PM
It is a very interesting compound with s myriad of proposed benefits, however the issue is bioavailability. There's a couple versions out which try to increase absorption via delivery method- both sublingual and transdermal seem more promising than the standard oral route.

PM
12-20-2011, 04:32 AM
It is a very interesting compound with s myriad of proposed benefits, however the issue is bioavailability. There's a couple versions out which try to increase absorption via delivery method- both sublingual and transdermal seem more promising than the standard oral route.

So Which type of Rez supplement would you recommend that would yield the greatest bioavailability and purest form of transResveratrol?

i was doing some research and was looking at ReZV supplement tabs that melt in your mouth http://www.vitacost.com/Twinlab-Resveratrol-Max-Dots but i read somewhere that the half life is really short in those

apex23
12-20-2011, 09:21 PM
I look forward to hearing what Will might have to say.