PDA

View Full Version : Dumbbell vs Bar for flat bench

Jello
03-27-2009, 12:26 AM
It seems like the more I read the more I'm finding that guys that have been lifting for several years don't do flat bench anymore. I have just recently started to use dumbbells for bench along with the bar and I like the movement better, but I feel like I'm missing something when I don't use the bar. Maybe it's just because it has been one of the exercises that I have done since I started lifting. I still use the bar for incline/decline press but started to alternate between bar and dumbbells for flat benches. How many of you guys have dropped the bar all together for flat bench and why?

kraken
03-27-2009, 12:29 AM
I've dropped using the bar due to pain in my right shoulder. When I use d-bells I'm fine.

buster12
03-27-2009, 12:48 AM
I hate dumbells. I never use any. I just dont like them. Maybe I should start using them again...

ChunkyThunder
03-27-2009, 12:56 AM
I work out alone so I definitely prefer dumbells. When I work out with someone or there is people there that I trust to spot me I will throw the bar in there sometimes

On top of that you can do more things with a dumbell, it is easier to adjust to get different contractions

kraken
03-27-2009, 01:21 AM
I work out alone ...
Another reason of mine.

italianmanMASS
03-27-2009, 02:59 AM
dumbbells for the free range of motion

Ninja Loco
03-27-2009, 03:39 AM
I love the DBs for the free range of motion. The whole feel of the exercise is far superior to that of a flat bench. Only problem I have is setting them up. That takes a shitload out of me.

Sledge
03-27-2009, 06:25 AM
DB for me. Gives a correct range of motion and as I train alone alows me to push myself wihout getting in to potentialy dangerous situations.

Shadow
03-27-2009, 06:27 AM
I'm just not capable of feeling the bar in my chest...on any movement, flat or incline. Even with perfect form my shoulders take on too much of the work. Since I've switched to just dumbbells my chest development has really taken off.

Shadow
03-27-2009, 06:28 AM
That, and I train alone as well.

v1hyp
03-27-2009, 07:09 AM
I prefer DB over the bar (now a days) but my only issue with DB is when I go over 100's they seem a little unstable.

Wheels
03-27-2009, 08:47 AM
i'm just not capable of feeling the bar in my chest...on any movement, flat or incline. Even with perfect form my shoulders take on too much of the work. Since i've switched to just dumbbells my chest development has really taken off.

that, and i train alone as well.

orhochris
03-27-2009, 10:31 AM
dumbbells all the way. period

MichaelWayne
03-27-2009, 10:36 AM
One week is Flat Bar w/ Inc DBs then Incline Bar w/ Flat DB the next. Don't know why, just prefer it.

Jello
03-27-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm just not capable of feeling the bar in my chest...on any movement, flat or incline. Even with perfect form my shoulders take on too much of the work. Since I've switched to just dumbbells my chest development has really taken off.

You know, that is one thing I noticed when I started using DB's. I feel my chest working a lot more than when I was using the bar. I don't feel it as much in the shoulders and triceps anymore.

Big Al
03-27-2009, 02:34 PM
I don't do flat bench first any more. Always starting with incline bells. My strength went up a lot since I switched.

anthony1992
03-27-2009, 07:50 PM

x2.

AussieRugbyPlayer
04-06-2009, 12:42 AM
DB for me. Gives a correct range of motion and as I train alone alows me to push myself wihout getting in to potentialy dangerous situations.

Ditto. Plus I have never been able to get the technique right with BB bench and I struggle like mad. I can never get it even half right so I feel uncomfortable and feel like I am getting the most benifit from it. I find my stregth increase 10 fold when using DBs as well.

Isn't there a greater chance on tearing pec muscle etc, when doing flat bench?

kratos47
04-06-2009, 01:49 AM
yeah dumbells for sure. i hate the bench. i feel it puts way to much stress on the front delts no matter what your form is. dumbells i feel all chest and no shoulder pain. dumbells all the way:D

JohnnyMuscles
04-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I love the bar it gives me the greatest feeling and pump. Nothing like bench pressing! However I like doing dumbells for incline more now go figure. I train alone as well, but rarely will put weight on the bar that I can't handle for at least 2-3 reps. Also if I really need a spot I can always ask someone in the gym for one.

Razer
04-10-2009, 12:21 AM
I alternate on the account of the DC program I'm on. When I want to go heavy I hit the bar WITH a spotter. When I'm going light I hit the DBs for full range of motion and less strain on the joints that the bar creates. I've dropped the flat bench all together and go with a low (25deg.) incline, per Dorian Yates.

GaJoe
04-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Considering all 3 locations of Gold's gym in my town has decided to do away with everything over 100 lb dumbells, I'm stuck to the bar...sucks for variety.

dvsness
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
I prefer the ROM with DBs by far.

Frosty
04-10-2009, 02:18 PM
I guess I'm lucky. My chest gets trashed from barbell bench. I prefer barbell because I can use more weight.

"Rodz"
04-11-2009, 12:21 AM
i like db because it forces my left side to work more, the extra balance needed has improved my overall strength

ANADROLicfreak
04-11-2009, 12:36 AM
i like db.no shoulder pains better range of motion.plus equal developements on both sides

HeavyDutyGuy
04-11-2009, 03:04 AM
I do mine on a Smith-I train alone. No getting stuck, can go to failure, take a little narrower grip and really hit the pec. I do cable crossovers- heavy, and weighted dips as well. The db's in our gym go up to a 100, which isn't enough.

Wiry Pyruvity
04-11-2009, 03:58 AM
dumbbells allow me to find the 'slot' where my chest takes over the bulk of the work from the shoulders...feel safer using them, especially on a flat bench...that and you can do that cool set up where you sit there with them standing on your knees, your torso all hunched forwrad like a goon before you roll back into position...alpha moment, ya know?

ChunkyThunder
04-11-2009, 12:24 PM
I love the DBs for the free range of motion. The whole feel of the exercise is far superior to that of a flat bench. Only problem I have is setting them up. That takes a shitload out of me.

For chest all you have to do is put them up as high on your thigh as you can and lean back, they should just fall into place.... the first rep just winds up with a longer range of motion than the rest of the reps

...now setting up dumbell military presses..... that's a pain in the ass