PDA

View Full Version : Master's Age divisions

D_T
03-29-2011, 08:04 PM
What are the age divisions for your state/regional Masters shows? In GA it's 35 & up and 50 & up. 35 shouldnt even a Master anymore. If anything it should be 40-49, 50-59, etc.

At age 46 I don't want to compete against 35 yr olds that are pretty much still in their prime. I also don't want to wait 4 yrs to compete against a group of maybe 3-4 guys that are 60.

Rick Prince
03-29-2011, 09:00 PM
NPC Alabama Men's Masters 40-49, 50-59, etc.

axioma
03-30-2011, 10:50 AM
When I won the Masters State in 09, I was 44 competing against 35 year olds. It is screwy to consider a 35 year old a "master", hell my metabolism didn't even hiccup until I was 40!

GerryT
03-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Masters men should start at 40. In the NYC qualifiers, the men's masters divisions are over 35, over 45 and over 55. At 46, you could compete in the 45.

Women masters ages are over 35 everywhere I have seen so far. Men's age should also be uniform at age 40 and going up.

Mac
03-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Masters men should start at 40. In the NYC qualifiers, the men's masters divisions are over 35, over 45 and over 55. At 46, you could compete in the 45.

Women masters ages are over 35 everywhere I have seen so far. Men's age should also be uniform at age 40 and going up.

Someone like myself at 54 would be at a big disadvantage competing against a 46 year old. Shit starts going to hell in a hand basket at 50, sometimes sooner.

Hammerfit
03-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Some shows I have been to the Grand Masters are in better shape than the Masters, but usually the Masters Class has a few guys that are really Open competitors. The only saving grace about competing in Masters is they have weight classes where the Grand Masters locally are just throw em all together and if you over 5'-8" you're screwed. Can't wait to stand with the big boys.

leanbody
03-30-2011, 04:55 PM
this may be a bit off topic - but here goes - I was choosing a contest to do this year as a 50+ masters. Due to vacation schedule, etc I chose one in August but I just notice that one i considered in San Diego had no 50+ group - only 40+ and 60+ - does that mean I'd be in the 40+ category? Would that be just because there were no other 50 + competitors?

D_T
03-30-2011, 11:33 PM
this may be a bit off topic - but here goes - I was choosing a contest to do this year as a 50+ masters. Due to vacation schedule, etc I chose one in August but I just notice that one i considered in San Diego had no 50+ group - only 40+ and 60+ - does that mean I'd be in the 40+ category? Would that be just because there were no other 50 + competitors?
They probably just don't expect enough guys to break into two classes.

I looked at pics from the Masters Georgia last year. The 50+ guys looked like they didn't even diet...not sure some even worked out. I don't want to bust ass for an easy win. I'd rather sit in the audience and just say I could have. If I'm going to put in work I want to beat quality competitors.

Rick Prince
03-31-2011, 08:05 AM

I suggest emailing or calling the show promoter and asking. Sometimes there are omissions, discrepancies, or errors on show ads, emailings, posters, and entry forms.
One entry form I saw stated all competitors would do their posing routine at the night show and further down the page the entry form stated only the top 5 in each class would pose at the night show.

2009 was my first year to compete. It was tough competing at 49 in the 40+ class. Since 2006, only 1 overall champion at the Alabama State has been under 40.We have 8 NPC shows here in Bama and only two have weight classes for Masters 40+.

leanbody
04-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks DT and RP! Yeah i will check into it when I get closer to August. The last show I went to had a bunch of BIG dudes in the Masters 50+ catagory - these guys had been init for 20+ years! But i have also seen slim pickins in that category too. i def don't want to get a trophy for standing up next to some guys who look terrible! On the other hand if I get in 40+ - some of those guys are totally ripped - just the luck of the draw i guess.