PDA

View Full Version : waste of time, space and money.....

Chomyboy
02-11-2009, 06:35 PM
how manny people in your gym do you notice dont do much in their training and later complain for the poor results? they walk all over the gym, walk out with more energy than comming in, hardly break a sweat.....Gyms love them, I mean they pay the complete month and show up once or twice a week.......any stories?

brewsterfitness
02-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey Chomyboy, I've been in the gym business for over 17 years and you are right on point. It's unfortunate but most members come up short on the motivation scale. It's just the nature of the business. And yes we do like to collect their dues but at some point the lack of progress turns to lack of attendance and then they quit and stop paying. If we could find a way to motivate them before that happens it would be better for our bottom line and theirs!:)

Sledge
02-11-2009, 08:17 PM
I actually think that 99% of the people that get poor results when starting out stems from Lack of knowledge and over training. (ie the more is better philosophy.)
Followed by a complete lack of knowledge of the requirement for rest and good diet. I have found in the past that a great many people I've trained can't get there head around the fact that going to the gym and lifting weights is not where you get results, the results come when your body recovers and repairs it's self.

Sledge
02-11-2009, 08:31 PM
I should also add, that a lot of people just don't know how to train. The mind gives out before the body because they don't know any better. I don't like to sterio type but I do find a lot of younger men and women today realy don't know how to push themselves because they have never had to. Where someone in there 40s or older, no matter how unfit they are still retain that knowledge that they can push themselves a little more.

Of course that generalising based on my experience and their are exeptions on both sides.

gman
02-11-2009, 08:32 PM
it's the "training partners", typically youngish (25-30), who come in to "work out" but end up yakking with each other about 75% of the time, lifting 15% of the time, and going to get water the other 10%, who amaze me.

DECABEATZ
02-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Omg lol i cant tell u i agree 90% or more of the ppl in the gym these days make no gains train like my grandma and talk their ears off = no gains or progress and wonder where did they go wrong im the only one i see really maby a few others during different times that trains balls to the wall. Its so hard these days finding a hardcore training partner im dying to find someone to join me in hardcorness. All my gym partners either moved or got married =(

red barraca
02-11-2009, 08:42 PM
man o man,i can't even count how many ppl i've trained,missed leg day,give bullshit excuse after one other,fuckin pussie's

DECABEATZ
02-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Legs were my best bodypart!!!! I liked training legs yea missing days with excuses =not good partner

red barraca
02-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Legs were my best bodypart!!!! I liked training legs yea missing days with excuses =not good partner

seem's people want the magic diet training cardio,when you tellthem .all half ass,and they bitch about why there not seeing the gain's they should be.

Sledge
02-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Maybe they just want to tone and not bulk up too much :).

Fuck I hate that

red barraca
02-11-2009, 09:33 PM
these ppl pay me so,if can't make it...no love lost or money.lol

Chomyboy
02-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Hey Chomyboy, I've been in the gym business for over 17 years and you are right on point. It's unfortunate but most members come up short on the motivation scale. It's just the nature of the business. And yes we do like to collect their dues but at some point the lack of progress turns to lack of attendance and then they quit and stop paying. If we could find a way to motivate them before that happens it would be better for our bottom line and theirs!:)
And at the end theyll blame you for it, its the gyms fault, the machine was busy, I came in to late, Im not in the mood, WHAT DIET?.....

Chomyboy
02-11-2009, 10:02 PM
man o man,i can't even count how many ppl i've trained,missed leg day,give bullshit excuse after one other,fuckin pussie's
How long? dont eat what? what bad form? what resistance? no, I'll squat double tomorrow, no, deadlift are useless nobody I know does them.......

JUST SOME OF THE MORE FAMILIAR EXCUSES I HEAR....

red barraca
02-11-2009, 10:20 PM
How long? dont eat what? what bad form? what resistance? no, I'll squat double tomorrow, no, deadlift are useless nobody I know does them.......

JUST SOME OF THE MORE FAMILIAR EXCUSES I HEAR....

are you fuckin drunk?deadlift are useless,sorry your on somthing.douche

Chomyboy
02-11-2009, 10:23 PM
ha ha ha I said SOME OF THE MORE FAMILIAR EXCUSES I HEAR......

red barraca
02-11-2009, 10:42 PM
well should of that,douche

aaronthegreat34
02-12-2009, 12:42 AM
Whats worse is I know a bunch of people at the gym who are trying to gain weight, hardly eat, and train for like three hours. Since the beginning of 2008 I have been telling my friend that the majority of muscle growth is due to a diet, he just wouldnt believe it. He is now pissed that I gained 12 pounds of muscle to his 2.

TheJackHammer
02-12-2009, 11:08 AM
we have 2 kids at my gym that come in around 9pm everynight. they come in change and then either sit on the floor and act like there stretching or them sit on a bench grab some db and just sit there talking for about 10-20 min then they rack there weights and go home. i just want to cancel there membership cause everyone complains and its just annouying

Por2gue
02-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Maybe they just want to tone and not bulk up too much :).

Fuck I hate that
X2, tone, what a joke..LOL

red barraca
02-12-2009, 06:51 PM
well should of that,douche

sorry man my computer screen was going in and out,i did'nt see what you said on the bottom:D

Gray
02-13-2009, 07:20 AM
90% of the people in my old softcore gym would show up, wander around clueless from machine to machine, train a bit of everything with the same intensity a dead man could muster, sip their Coke (no joke) they brought with them and go home without breaking a sweat. I've seen people spends hundreds on supplements without ever going to a gym cause they reckon they will grow with just taking supplements. I've seen so much stupidity in a gym that I could probably write a book.

One such story is that I was repping with 150kg (350 pounds?) on the bench for 2-3 reps max. Behind me was a fairly big kid peering at me. As I finished, I was about to take the weights off when he came to me and said he wanted to have a go with the same weight I just benched. I shot one look at his body and told him he was insane trying this. He said he had been training for a year (it looked like his first day in the gym) and was up to it. I said fine, left the weights and walked to the changing room to have a shake. All of a sudden I heard a commotion outside in the reception, walked out and saw people running up the the weights area. This idiot has only gone and got an equally brained moron to spot him, lifted the weight and apparently it crashed down so hard on him that the spotter holding the bar, flew over the bench and landed on the floor busting his nose and upperlip wide open. The kid ended up with a cracked sternum, 3 broken ribs and a week in hospital. If you ask me, he was lucky he didn't die.

I can think of many more such stories. I might actually make a thread so people can tell about the dumbest things they've seen in their gyms.

stottie
02-18-2009, 06:07 PM
the best one i have ever seen in a gym i used to go to was a kid that only did curls. i would go to the gym around the same time every night to lift, and he would be in there around the same time. usually with a couple of his buddys he called his support team. Well some times he would come in wearing a polo and slacks and dress shoes, he would walk over grab the curl bar bust out about ten reps, put the bar down and give a couple of high fives to his bros. then he would go over and have the gym make him a protein smoothe.

then about 15mins later would finish his smoothe and walk back over and curl some more lol. some times i would see him doing a set of lat pull downs or setting in the hammer strength machine. i would over hear him talking to his buddys about how he will turn pro in about 3 years lol

mplsmack
02-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Seems just like a metaphor for life. Most people don't even show up, those that do show up just clock in to say they were there and a very few show up clock in and do the work, then only a handful clock in do the work and then ask for more work. The last 2 groups are successful or get rich (i.e a have a physique) the other 2 groups complain about how the world is stacked against them (i.e bad genetics, no time, insert excuse here____). Just my 2 cents.

Nelford
02-20-2009, 07:57 PM
The worst part is the personal trainers that you see that are all fat and never train. I set and wonder what made the client fork over there money. I mean shouldn't you walk the walk...

pnohe
02-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I would add to this... and any who have been in the business as long as I have will agree... it has gotten better than it used to be. go into your local grocery store and you will see several fitness magazines covering a wide variety of readers. EVERY morning there is a segment on fitness on at least one of the morning news/entertainment shows. There are hundreds of internet sites devoted to answering questions and pointing people in the right direction. The point is that there is much more good information out there than there used to be. I think people better understand that the effort you put in is the biggest factor in the results that you see. If people want it, it's there to be had and this is in stark contrast to the way it was even 10 years ago. I am VERY busy with my business and still find the time to offer motivation/inspiration to others (non-clients) when ever I can.

BigJD69
02-22-2009, 03:31 PM
I hate to say this but most people have no idea how to train!

The Celt
02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
I know in my gym there are some that train hard as hell, but when they leave the gym they are swinging through McDonalds or BK and grabbing a slop burger with fries and a pop. They just don't get it on the dieting part... But yeah there are some who are there just to say they "belong" to the gym, they are usually weeded out soon enough and sent up the road to SnappyFit.:D

Mouse
02-22-2009, 08:08 PM
I noticed this morning that my gym was back to it's pre-new year's level. The resolutioners have finally left. It's been kind of crazy the past few weeks.

timmytimm3
03-05-2009, 09:11 AM
The one thing I notice everyday is horrible form. People trying to move more weight then they can, so they cheat and either get injured or don't hit the target muscles. I'm so glad I was taught the correct way to lift. Weight will come. Get the form down first!