PDA

View Full Version : Tanning your face?

-Z-
03-27-2009, 12:13 PM
How would you guys recommend tanning someones face. This is for a male and we are using protan. Any suggestions...........

-Z-
03-27-2009, 12:16 PM
I have always waited till the night before and done a very light coat, but I don't know if there is a better way.

pnohe
03-27-2009, 01:59 PM
personaly, I wait till the morning of (before weigh ins) and use 2 brushes. One "wet" one dry. just dab a little on the forehead, cheeks, and chin w/ the "wet brush (VERY LITTLE protan) and use the dry brush to pull away from the center of the face and blend

-Z-
03-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Interesting, I may have to try that. The guy I'm tanning is very light and the tan is drastic already that I'm a little nervous about his face. I'm sure it will fine though.

sassy69
03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Screw the protan - get some MAC (NW or NC... I always forget) 45. It matches protan exactly. Its a foundation - you can tell which it is by how dark it is (NW45 or NC45 -- take the darker of the two). I've put it on w/o any protan base. It matches protan perfectly and you can put it on before pre-judge and touch up as needed. You can put it on w/ those cosmetic sponges. The best part is that it doesn't dry & crack like protan does, it is absolutely dark enough (i.e no two-tone under the stage lights) and it comes off just as easily so you don't need to be scraping it off your face two days later.

Its like $18 but it will last you forever. You can get it at any dept store or where they sell MAC makeup. IMO its SOOO worth it!

-Z-
03-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Screw the protan - get some MAC (NW or NC... I always forget) 45. It matches protan exactly. Its a foundation - you can tell which it is by how dark it is (NW45 or NC45 -- take the darker of the two). I've put it on w/o any protan base. It matches protan perfectly and you can put it on before pre-judge and touch up as needed. You can put it on w/ those cosmetic sponges. The best part is that it doesn't dry & crack like protan does, it is absolutely dark enough (i.e no two-tone under the stage lights) and it comes off just as easily so you don't need to be scraping it off your face two days later.

Its like $18 but it will last you forever. You can get it at any dept store or where they sell MAC makeup. IMO its SOOO worth it!

This is what I've been looking for thanks a ton!

pnohe
03-27-2009, 03:22 PM
it's NW 45 BUT I think if he's lighter, nw 47 matches protan better. I have used nw47 several times.....that being said, I think the protan is better if done properly

-Z-
03-27-2009, 03:29 PM
it's NW 45 BUT I think if he's lighter, nw 47 matches protan better. I have used nw47 several times.....that being said, I think the protan is better if done properly

Now I don't know what to do, you guys are killing me here. lol

sassy69
03-27-2009, 05:27 PM
What you can do is go test it - put a couple layers of protan on one spot, and go to the MAC counter & compare. Or bring the bottle of Protan w/ you and say you'd like to compare it to NW45 or NW47.

I'm a blonde Swede from Minnesota. I did tanning bed tans for 4 weeks prior to my show so had the base, the NW45 worked good for me. You can see the results in my profile pic. The white hair is a little obnoxious but you can see the color is good under the lights.

Personally I'm a big fan of anything that is easy to put on , touch up & take off on my face, partially because its simple and partially because I wear contacts and if I've got a pile of shit all over my face that has to dry or will start to crack on me, I don't want it in my eyes or on my hands. The MAC makeup is just very simple and you're not stuck w/ it for a few days.

Legend
03-31-2009, 12:35 AM
Whatever product you decide to use, my recommendation to you is to make sure that the face is the same color as the body.

Judges do not like to look up and see a dark body and a glowing white face. Even a light coat of tanning product on the face can look pale in comparison to an extremely dark body.

sassy69
03-31-2009, 12:47 AM
Whatever product you decide to use, my recommendation to you is to make sure that the face is the same color as the body.

Judges do not like to look up and see a dark body and a glowing white face. Even a light coat of tanning product on the face can look pale in comparison to an extremely dark body.

Yep - 2-tone stands out like a sore thumb on stage. You need to get under really bright lights to see, or else just look at jawline where the body layer and face layer of tan come together and see if there is a contrast.

This is another reason I'd recommend the MAC makeup because it is well illustrated already that it matches Protan so you aren't guessing at how many layers. It just matches. There is also makeup that matches Jan Tana. I think they sell it at jantana.com but if not, you can call them or email and they will tell you exactly what to get to match your tanning product.

mdvsony
03-31-2009, 05:11 AM
just before i get on stage i put dream tan.

sassy69
04-02-2009, 01:11 PM
just before i get on stage i put dream tan.

Many venues won't allow DreamTan so you need to be sure if your protocol is accepted.