PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifting In Oly Shoes

Brian Carley
04-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Who does it and what benefits do you feel from it?

I've been throwing around the idea of starting to do this since I can't seem to sit back on my heels while deadlifting, and since I started squatting in my oly shoes it seems like I can push more off my heels and I'm wondering if it wouldn't do the same for deads too.

I've tried pulling in chucks, and don't like it, also I deadlift in my socks right now and have been really ever since I started seriously deadlifting.

robert da strongman
04-16-2011, 04:33 PM
i have pulled in oly shoes...with the heel raised you will get more quad in the lift.

Bryan Hildebrand
04-16-2011, 05:09 PM
they tend to pitch you forward through the first 10-15% of the lift, which is good for guys who pull with more back than they push with legs. helps balance that equation. and for gusy with poor ham and calf flexibility, there is an immediant improvement.

BiggTexx
04-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Who does it and what benefits do you feel from it?

I've been throwing around the idea of starting to do this since I can't seem to sit back on my heels while deadlifting, and since I started squatting in my oly shoes it seems like I can push more off my heels and I'm wondering if it wouldn't do the same for deads too.

I've tried pulling in chucks, and don't like it, also I deadlift in my socks right now and have been really ever since I started seriously deadlifting.

Brian, Fred Hatfield use to deadlift in Oly shoes as well as squat in them. Reason he told me was the slightly raised heel forced his weight forward more on the quads. If you have a close, conventional stance on the deadlift, this might work well for you.

Chucks work better for someone with a sumo style deadlift because you are able to push more from the heels and it also get you just slightly closer to the ground because the flat soles.

thesamewords
04-16-2011, 11:09 PM
dude try some slippers man! its closer to a sock and they will allow them in meets. im tired of trying to find shoes my self

BiggTexx
04-17-2011, 10:00 AM
dude try some slippers man! its closer to a sock and they will allow them in meets. im tired of trying to find shoes my self

Another thing that work really good is wrestling shoes. They have great ankle support, they won't slip on the floor and they are about as close to the floor as you can get because they have minimal sole.

Armored Underdog
04-17-2011, 01:00 PM
I used to have chuck taylor's til my nephew took them hostage.. so I went and bought a pair of adias wrestling shoes. they work just as good as the chucks.

Brian Carley
04-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks guys for the replies!

thesamewords- I had a pair of slippers and they didn't do anything for me, well nothing different than in my socks so they spent 3 years in the closet and then ended up in my buddy's gym bag one day, whether he knew they were in there or not is still up in debate but I don't have them anymore. I know some of the big names in deadlifting pull in socks or slippers but I can't seem to push off my heels the same anymore like I used to be able to, maybe it is because I'm doing more quad work so now my quad wants to get in on the action too.

BigTexx- I thought about getting some wrestling shoes a couple months ago but wasn't about to pay the money for the ones I saw on the internet.

Like Robert and Bryan said, I'll get more quad invovlement in it so I'll use some more leg which I think should give me a little more power coming off the ground which is what I need. I'll try it for a month or two and see what happens, and go from there.

dean12
04-22-2011, 02:12 AM
oly shoes feels you some different feeling and it effect your performances.

blink180
05-09-2011, 04:26 AM
Maybe I made the same form mistake, but I experienced the same problem. I definitely feel better pulling in Chucks.

pfunk
05-09-2011, 05:01 PM
I have Oly shoes and use them for squatting. But I think it's more important to be flat on the ground for deadlifts. I either deadlift in my socks, or I put these on when nobody's watching:

crashcrew56
06-28-2011, 04:06 PM
I have been deadlifting in wrestling shoes for a long time now, and today I put a friends pair of oly lifting shoes on to pull, and I loved pulling in them. I felt very stable, great grip on the bottom, and I felt like my leg drive was much stronger. I'm going ot buy myself a pair of oly shoes for deadlifting from now on.

pfunk
06-28-2011, 04:36 PM
I don't know for sure, but with Oly shoes and the elevated heel, you would be engaging the quads a bit more on the lift. I feel stronger in the deadlift when pushing through my heals.

Of course, all of that is described above!