PDA

View Full Version : flat backed bench compared to arched PL style bench

symphonyofdreams
04-19-2011, 02:41 AM
I was reading a powerlifting article that was saying that once one goes from a body building style flat back bench to a pl style one could increase their max 50-100 pounds after a couple sessions of getting form down.

seems possible after watching a video someone posted on here of the guy measuring the rom of flat(17'') and pl style(7'') whats your guys take on the increase one would expect to gain form the change of form

crashcrew56
04-19-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm all for the arch, and I think it's possible, but that 50-100lb increase depends a lot on how much you can arch. Some people might be flexible enough to cut their range of motion 10 inches, but I don't think most people can arch like that.

Brian Carley
04-19-2011, 02:19 PM
A PL style bench will decrease your ROM (obviously) and the less you have to move the weight the more you will be able to move, like rack pulls. Also some of the benefits from a PL style bench is your lats become more involved to where you lower the weight with your lats instead of your tris, chest and shoulders so in turn you have more explosion off the chest because you aren't as fatigued from lowering the weight.

It is easier on your shoulders, you drive more with your legs, I know you are going what the hell, how can your legs help your bench but it does, with the arch you will drive with your legs and in turn make the weight easier.

Dave Tate says it best, if you are comfortable with the PL style bench then you aren't doing it right, you should be uncomfortable doing it and your lower back should be sore the next day from arching.

All in all, a PL bench is a lot better than a BB in the long turn, and you will move more weight, if you aren't focused on getting a big chest or isolating the chest while doing bench then I would do the PL bench. It's fun to have the gym watch you do a bench when you have the bar loaded up, it's fun, I enjoy loading up a bar and having people watch me, it's extra motivation and adrenaline to smash the lift.

Deltasaurus
04-20-2011, 08:09 PM
depends on your goals if your goal is to move weight from a to b then i would say use a bench shirt and arch to all hell if your going for strength i dont recommend a arch of any kind.

I also think you should squat about shoulder width and go all the way down and i also think sumo squats are a joke as well.

People care about the number they move if that is your goal do it however is legal for the comp ur training for.

if you wanna get alot bigger and stronger i recommend strict form.

what are you goals?

5% Monster
04-20-2011, 10:11 PM
depends on your goals if your goal is to move weight from a to b then i would say use a bench shirt and arch to all hell if your going for strength i dont recommend a arch of any kind.

I also think you should squat about shoulder width and go all the way down and i also think sumo squats are a joke as well.

People care about the number they move if that is your goal do it however is legal for the comp ur training for.

if you wanna get alot bigger and stronger i recommend strict form.

what are you goals?

Really? its all about eating big and pushing big weight to get bigger. Form is more to prevent injury.

symphonyofdreams
04-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Really? its all about eating big and pushing big weight to get bigger. Form is more to prevent injury.

big weight with proper form. you can look at guys that have a great powerlifting bench like Dave tate yet his chest is extremely underdeveloped compared to arms and shoulders. or if someone is doing sumo deads to pull big weights, that's not going to have the same effect on the back. or really wide squats for quad development.

Deltasaurus
04-21-2011, 01:59 AM
see below

big weight with proper form. you can look at guys that have a great powerlifting bench like Dave tate yet his chest is extremely underdeveloped compared to arms and shoulders. or if someone is doing sumo deads to pull big weights, that's not going to have the same effect on the back. or really wide squats for quad development.
^^^Truth

you wanna see development its all about ROM and form. People always say bodybuilders are much weaker than powerlifters but i guarantee if the both practiced the same form one group would be very humbled

5% Monster
04-23-2011, 12:57 PM
see below

^^^Truth

you wanna see development its all about ROM and form. People always say bodybuilders are much weaker than powerlifters but i guarantee if the both practiced the same form one group would be very humbled

This is why its good to do a little of both.