PDA

View Full Version : Keto dieting?

mia
03-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Hey guys, just needing some feedback really. Has anyone followed a keto diet and what kind of results did you get? energy and strength levels effected?

thanks xxx

ANADROLicfreak
03-27-2009, 06:24 PM
im on the keto diet.it has worked well for me.energy after about three days is good.i feel good no mood swings.dropped about ten pounds in a little over a week.

thachozenonebx
03-27-2009, 06:36 PM
im doing it now..im on week 2. Dropped about 10 lbs as well. Energy is sustained for the most part ( i am sometimes tired more bc i get up at 5 to go to the gym as opposed to the diet)

But I like where im going on this keto diet

AUXeSIS
03-27-2009, 08:03 PM
First few days of diet (while converting to Fat as primary energy source) I feel a little "scattered", aside from that its a great diet and works really well. If you have previously deprived yourself of "good fats" then the introduction of them to your diet can cause an anabolic effect even in calorie deficet IMO.

Lost 11lbs in first 3 weeks.

Diggy
03-28-2009, 01:24 AM
Im doing the anabolic diet at the moment. I feel great once in ketosis. I like the fact that I dont crave anything and once the weekend comes I eat carbs if I want to. My strenght is actually the same and up on a few exercises. My weekend carbup already started at midnight, but Ill keep it cleaner than I have been.

Zetawill
03-28-2009, 02:04 AM
Loving the Keto!!! Down 9lbs in 3 weeks (not carrying a ton of excess fat to begin with). Energy is through the roof as long as I keep up the GLA's and other fats. I don't really cheat anymore as I feel crappy the whole day after a cheat meal, so I just have a few carbs on my "cheat" day. Just enough to restore the muscle size.

I've actually gained about 3/4 of an inch on my arms (some of this may be do to other "vitamins" I've started taking). Every measurement is getting bigger and my waist is getting smaller.

I'm seeing results 10x faster than I ever have.

mia
03-28-2009, 04:02 AM
Ok so all very good results. I have tried this diet and failed, got it in my head that it doesnt work, but have always had pretty good feed back from others. A friend of mine is dieting for a show and says he's in the best condition of his life. Im thinking maybe its worth 3months period!

Should i give it 2 weeks before having a refeed?

Sugargirl
03-28-2009, 08:44 AM
HI Mia.. I just switched to the Keto Diet, On my third week this week.. with some minor adjustments.. I lost 3 lbs only but feel like I've gained muscle....I love it cause I don't have cravings... easy to follow , But like most women, if the needle on the scale doesn't move especially before contest.. I get scared!

Allifit
03-28-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm not an advocate of keto at all. Personally I dislike it a lot... I do a carb cycle.

Allifit
03-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Mia check out the other thread in here about dieting:

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=3611

:) maybe that'll help a bit?

mia
03-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks that thread was helpful. Im just wanting to give keto a good try as i have friends that have succeeded in it, i dont understand carb cycling 100%, maybe i should research it more.......

Allifit
03-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks that thread was helpful. Im just wanting to give keto a good try as i have friends that have succeeded in it, i dont understand carb cycling 100%, maybe i should research it more.......
Definitely read up on the different dieting styles... but I'm a firm believer that trial and error and your personal response to dieting is still the best evidence. There are some people who respond well to keto, others dont. Some just do keto cause lately its the "trendy" way to diet. Just be open to options and pay close attention to the changes in your body on any form of diet :)

KZRSOIZE
03-28-2009, 10:40 AM
imo the keto diet isnt for everyone

Legend
03-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Ok so all very good results. I have tried this diet and failed, got it in my head that it doesnt work, but have always had pretty good feed back from others. A friend of mine is dieting for a show and says he's in the best condition of his life. Im thinking maybe its worth 3months period!

If you follow a keto diet made specifically for you 100% (no cheating..:D) and make sure you're doing everything right, then I don't see how you could fail.

Should i give it 2 weeks before having a refeed?

Yes....at least 14 days.

mia
03-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Yes....at least 14 days.

Ok then, let the games begin ;)

sba220
03-29-2009, 05:02 PM
I wouldnt say keto is trendy, it just happens to be the diet of choice of the owner of this site. There are tons of diets and most of them have worked for one person or another.

Strictly speaking out of a text book, the keto diet is the most promising for a female. But since none of us come out of a text book, trial and error is your best bet.

The only word of advice I can offer is this: if you are not losing weight right off the bat, you are doing something wrong. Complaints about the keto diet have more to do with the percieved loss of muscle/strength, but few would argue that it gets the pounds off.

Melissa
03-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Hey guys, just needing some feedback really. Has anyone followed a keto diet and what kind of results did you get? energy and strength levels effected?

thanks xxx

Hey Mia,
I worked with Dave last year as a natural figure competitor and found that I got into the best shape of my life. Obviously, I can only speak for myself, but I certainly didn't NEED carbs in my diet through my prep. In fact, I found that my mood was much more stable (relatively speaking, since I can be a moody biatch even with plenty of carbs:p). My energy was much more stable as well, but of course, as I neared the end of the diet, by stable energy I do mean low energy. But I was also doing 3 hours of low intensity cardio a day and having 6 protein/veggie days and one protein/fat day per week.

I'm sure I did lose some muscle along the way. I didn't use any muscle-sparing drugs like clen or Anavar, though. Overall, I would say that a keto diet is very difficult for any competitor to follow (particularly a natural female), but in no way is it impossible. This is simply my own experience with this type of diet, and just like everyone has already said, it took me quite a bit of trial and error to find that the keto diet has worked the best for me. Good luck to you!

Allifit
03-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Strictly speaking out of a text book, the keto diet is the most promising for a female. But since none of us come out of a text book, trial and error is your best bet.

In shedding fat- perhaps. Yet I see a slew of female physiques coming out of keto diets, that, although they have efectively shedded fat are left with flat muscle. A lot of watered midsections......

Melissa
03-30-2009, 10:44 AM
In shedding fat- perhaps. Yet I see a slew of female physiques coming out of keto diets, that, although they have efectively shedded fat are left with flat muscle. A lot of watered midsections......

Hey Alli....When you say you've seen girls with flat muscle and watered midsections coming out of keto diets, do you mean after the contest when they reintroduce carbs? Or do you mean on stage they look flat? Or both?

I could see why you would think girls look bloated (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "watered midsection?) when they reintroduce carbs after a keto style contest diet. But that then becomes an issue of slowly reintroducing carbs and also cutting back on cardio slowly.

If you mean they look flat on stage, that is then likely due to not fat-loading enough in the day or two leading up to the show.

sba220
03-30-2009, 11:57 AM

I agree that the flat muscle issue is a legitimate concern, but that really only comes into play for heavily muscled male and female bodybuilders. The less total mass you have, the less difference there is between "flat" and "full." If you have effectivly shed all bodyfat, your muscles are hard and separated and if you are a 120lb figure competitor, how much can you really expect to fill out? Jay Cutler could probably fluctuate by 20+ lbs and Iris Kyle by maybe 10lbs, but for physiques like Alli and Melissa the difference between flat and full is only a few pounds.

As for watery midsections - I dont know what that really means. If you are eating no carbs and have shed all bodyfat, the only way you get "watery" is through poor carb/water manipulation before the show.

All that said, Alli brough a beautiful physique to the stage without the use of a keto diet - living proof that other methods can and do work.

My only advice to any competitor is to do your research here before you start. Once you make a choice on a diet, committ to it until the show is over, then evaluate and perhaps change methods next time.

tkatmommie
03-30-2009, 02:03 PM
I have tried a LOT of differnt types of diets trhough the years, and have found that the KETO DIET SKELETON is great! I worked well for me, i lost weight, kept very strong, and hd energy. I have never felt better. I do think that the refeed cheat meals are VERY important, and to try this diet out somehow in the off season to see how you handle it. I have done it for 9 of the 13 weeks proir to my show and loved everything about it. Easy to floow, easy to cook and prepare a weeks worth of food for, easy to travel with etc. Carb cycling works for me too, it just takes longer for me to lose the weight, and i feel very depleted on that type of diet. 20 or more weks on a carb cycling diet for a show, as to the 12 weeks for the Keto diet....for me with better results. The longer i have to diet and avoid certain foods the more of a headcase i become, and of course it will be closer and closer to show time that i am on the verge of a diet pitfall. The keto diet kept me even all the way through!

Good luck...read up on the different diets, try them out and manipulate what works for you.

Allifit
03-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Good luck...read up on the different diets, try them out and manipulate what works for you.

The best advice:)... each person is different and each diet will produce a different look in different people. Experiment with different diets to figure out how you feel on the diet AND how it makes you look.....

sba220
03-30-2009, 02:35 PM

The best advice:)... each person is different and each diet will produce a different look in different people. Experiment with different diets to figure out how you feel on the diet AND how it makes you look.....

The sad reality that goes along with this is that most of us will fail a few times with the wrong diet. I read everything up and down and jumped into a diet that I was convinced would make me Mr. Neighboorhood and I ended up not even Mr. Backyard.

You have to be confident that trial and the error that comes with it is priceless and makes you better in one of the few sports that allows for longevitiy.

Allifit
03-30-2009, 03:17 PM
[quote=Allifit;141149]

The sad reality that goes along with this is that most of us will fail a few times with the wrong diet. I read everything up and down and jumped into a diet that I was convinced would make me Mr. Neighboorhood and I ended up not even Mr. Backyard.

You have to be confident that trial and the error that comes with it is priceless and makes you better in one of the few sports that allows for longevitiy.

Oh yes agreed. The reason I'm not a fan of keto is that I have done keto and failed at it miserably. That diet did NOT do anything for my physique.... and thankfully Dros is right, this sport allows for longevity so you can afford to gain some personal experience with dieting. Trial and error is key.

denise
03-30-2009, 04:36 PM
I have heard alot about the keto diet, but have not been able to find any info. about it . Can anyone give me an example of what a day looks like for this diet ?

Skeptic
03-30-2009, 06:25 PM
I have heard alot about the keto diet, but have not been able to find any info. about it . Can anyone give me an example of what a day looks like for this diet ?

Dave Palumbo's Q&A thread covers it quite well: http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=5

Just remember that the cheat meal serves an important medical function on this diet. Don't eliminate it. You need to eat some carbs once a week to create an insulin spike that keeps your thyroid conversion process running properly.

Dave's DVD also explains it all in detail.

denise
03-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Dave Palumbo's Q&A thread covers it quite well: http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=5

Just remember that the cheat meal serves an important medical function on this diet. Don't eliminate it. You need to eat some carbs once a week to create an insulin spike that keeps your thyroid conversion process running properly.

Dave's DVD also explains it all in detail.

Thank you so much ~

Allifit
03-30-2009, 07:21 PM

A sample day in this diet would be different dependent on the person...

Some links to get more info about ketogenic diets and the concept of ketosis:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keto.htm
http://www.musclenet.com/getbulky/Info/WeightLoss/KetogenicDieting.htm
http://www.elitefitness.com/reports/truth/
http://ecclessias.blogspot.com/2007/11/basic-ketogenic-diet.html
http://www.rustyiron.net/nutritn.htm

Skeptic
03-30-2009, 07:52 PM
A sample day in this diet would be different dependent on the person...

Some links to get more info about ketogenic diets and the concept of ketosis:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keto.htm
http://www.musclenet.com/getbulky/Info/WeightLoss/KetogenicDieting.htm
http://www.elitefitness.com/reports/truth/
http://ecclessias.blogspot.com/2007/11/basic-ketogenic-diet.html
http://www.rustyiron.net/nutritn.htm

Yeah right. Change the name from "Figure's Badass" to "Figure's Frackin' Encyclopedia". :)

mia
03-31-2009, 04:22 AM
Thanks so much guys for all this information, its good to see that there's different opinions on the keto diet :) I have put together a diet very similar to dave's simply qweek'd it to work around my day, i started it yesterday and must admit that i was pretty hungry, but what's one day, it takes 3 days to get into ketosis right? also, it hard to keep calorie intake low too, alot less food for much higher calories, does this matter?

Allifit
03-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Yeah right. Change the name from "Figure's Badass" to "Figure's Frackin' Encyclopedia". :)
just giving her info.......

debbiebramwell
03-31-2009, 11:14 AM
hey there! I am 7 weeks out from the NY PRO show ...Dave is prepping me for this show and it is the best prep I have ever have! Yes, the first week I was dizty but once your brain adjusts then you feel amazing! My strength has gone up ...this is the leanest and fullest I have been ever while prepping for a show..everyone in my gym is amazed at how I look and when I tell them I am on no carbs they cant beleive it! I have compete since 1997 and have tried all carb cycle and lowering carbs as contest gets closer.....low carbs and carb cycle is harder energy wise, craving wise etc.....plus I love the one cheat meal a week....which I have never had.......give this diet a try and follow it for at least a month...you will love it! good luck!:D (the first cheat meal is after 2 weeks) give it over a week to get used to it but I promise you will....I always was able to get lean on other diets but I feel better on this one and less hungry , more energy!

RealLilSwole
03-31-2009, 01:27 PM
I agree with Debbie. I am a nurse, work 13 hour shifts, and I really don't get hunry at work. Last year, I was having trouble staying awake while I was at work, no toubles this year. I love this diet....very easy....and it don't take long to put it together for the next day! I LOVE DAVE!! lol!

denise
04-04-2009, 12:05 PM
I was wondering what kind of supplements you take when doing the keto diet? I know your cutting out most veggies so does it leave you lacking things?

stl50
04-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I was wondering what kind of supplements you take when doing the keto diet? I know your cutting out most veggies so does it leave you lacking things?

I've been cycling keto for over a year now, and i think you definitely need a good multi-vitamin, Omegalyze (essential fats), and juiceplus pills . I also use Fiberlyze to help things...uh...move better through the body lol!!
I rarely eat fruit, and only eat green beans/asparagus, and i haven't been sick in years!