PDA

View Full Version : You can make $300,000 in racquetball, $500,000 to surf, how much in strongman????

TLG
04-21-2011, 05:12 PM
ESPN The Magazine - The Money Issue - Best-Paid Athletes in 30 Sports - ESPN

I came across this today, and I already knew about the basics of money in strongman, but this was an eye opener.

Because if you have a good year and win the Arnold and WSM, what are you looking at ~$100,000 ?

Well according to the chart Tim Don made $223,600 in the International Triathlon Union in 2010. No offense to him, but when have you ever said, let me sit down and watch a triathlon?

I mean if the numbers are real, they are shocking.

sled dog racing - $50,400
womens surfing - $140,700
womens bowling - $40,300
eating - $218,500

All I can say is that I love eating, time to go eat and make more then a WSM athlete.

*** I don't know what the video thing is about, I just pasted a link.. and it did that on its own.

robert da strongman
04-21-2011, 06:19 PM
anybody foolish enough to think they can make a ton of money in strongman should invest in ocean front property in arizona.

but that being said it is up to the athletes to promote themselves and the sport...

Jason Bever
04-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Rob- Agreed on both items you mentioned!

TLG- I believe the winner of the WSM gets $40,000 in prize money. Endorsement money can vary, as well as prize/show money from other pro shows. Seeing most of the guys have other jobs outside of strongman, I think it would be very tough in the US to make a living off strongman in comparison to the working an average career job. I know that guys do make more money in Eastern European and Scandanvian countries, just because the popularity of the sport is so high. Even in those countries, it is my understanding that only the top guys are making the big money, which usually comes through more in endorsements. After all that, I guess I still couldn't say exactly what guys make here! I agree with Rob (I'll probably never say that again!) that the athletes have to promote themselves and the sport to make money. Sorry if I rambled on like this for nothing!

TLG
04-22-2011, 01:54 PM
anybody foolish enough to think they can make a ton of money in strongman should invest in ocean front property in arizona.

but that being said it is up to the athletes to promote themselves and the sport...

I said I understood the money part. The reason I posted the article is because I never thought some dude is throwing darts somewhere and making a million dollars.

Also.... I'm so tired of hearing that it is up to the athletes to promote the sport. That is BS. I mean I haven't heard of a lot of the athletes listed for their respectable sport, yet they seem to be banking. I don't know if I have ever seen anything for darts, or to watch a marathon. So how are they pulling in decent pay? You can't tell me they are going out and selling tickets themselves.

At some point, someone has to be the "promoter" and someone has to be the "athlete". I mean look at the guy making money on the bassmaster tour. Never heard of him, yet he is making money, have I ever seen him "promoting the sport" --- NOPE. Well shit, I guess those sports will start to decline then.... :no:

Rob- Agreed on both items you mentioned!

TLG- I believe the winner of the WSM gets $40,000 in prize money. Endorsement money can vary, as well as prize/show money from other pro shows. Seeing most of the guys have other jobs outside of strongman, I think it would be very tough in the US to make a living off strongman in comparison to the working an average career job. I know that guys do make more money in Eastern European and Scandanvian countries, just because the popularity of the sport is so high. Even in those countries, it is my understanding that only the top guys are making the big money, which usually comes through more in endorsements. After all that, I guess I still couldn't say exactly what guys make here! I agree with Rob (I'll probably never say that again!) that the athletes have to promote themselves and the sport to make money. Sorry if I rambled on like this for nothing!

If you read the top of the article it said that only earnings/winnings were listed, not endorsements, etc. Unless in one or two people where they listed it.

Again with the athletes need to promote themselves comment. I mean If I go to a bowling alley do you think I'm going to see pictures of the guy making top money in mens bowling..... unless it is where he bowls, then most likely no. Man, looks like he isn't promoting himself well, but damn he still made $150,000 last year.

Or wait, how about the last time you played pool, and you thought man I want to be like Darren Appleton, he made over $100,000 playing billiards. I know so much about him, because he promotes himself so well and the sport.

F***ING BS!

The Big Sexy
04-22-2011, 02:30 PM
I said I understood the money part. The reason I posted the article is because I never thought some dude is throwing darts somewhere and making a million dollars.

Also.... I'm so tired of hearing that it is up to the athletes to promote the sport. That is BS. I mean I haven't heard of a lot of the athletes listed for their respectable sport, yet they seem to be banking. I don't know if I have ever seen anything for darts, or to watch a marathon. So how are they pulling in decent pay? You can't tell me they are going out and selling tickets themselves.

At some point, someone has to be the "promoter" and someone has to be the "athlete". I mean look at the guy making money on the bassmaster tour. Never heard of him, yet he is making money, have I ever seen him "promoting the sport" --- NOPE. Well shit, I guess those sports will start to decline then.... :no:

If you read the top of the article it said that only earnings/winnings were listed, not endorsements, etc. Unless in one or two people where they listed it.

Again with the athletes need to promote themselves comment. I mean If I go to a bowling alley do you think I'm going to see pictures of the guy making top money in mens bowling..... unless it is where he bowls, then most likely no. Man, looks like he isn't promoting himself well, but damn he still made $150,000 last year.

Or wait, how about the last time you played pool, and you thought man I want to be like Darren Appleton, he made over $100,000 playing billiards. I know so much about him, because he promotes himself so well and the sport.

F***ING BS!

Janette Lee, aka the Black Widow does. I NEVER and I mean NEVER have watched billiards... and I hear about her and know about her. She has quite the fan base, clothing line, etc. Very good job of promoting herself in the sport... also, because of that, gets invited to all the top invite-only billiards tournaments.

http://www.cuesportgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/jeannette_lee_23.jpg

Curt James
04-22-2011, 02:48 PM
You can make $300,000 in racquetball, $500,000 to surf, how much in strongman????

Twelve dollars. :dunno:

But the "womens surfing - $140,700" includes a significant risk factor.

duelon0MF2o

Not everyone can do strongman hence the dollars are not there? I mean pretty much anyone can drive and so NASCAR has a bajillion fans. Likewise baseball. Every child (or nearly) has swung a bat. How many kids flip tires?

:no:

Same goes for bodybuilding. Sure, every kid has flexed their biceps, but how many shave their body hair, oil up, don posing trunks and pose to music? :hypno:

JAM
04-22-2011, 03:11 PM
I know this is obvious but the amount of money and the amount of skill or effort doesn't always correlate. I don't know the actual figures but look at the correlation between amount of money earned and the amount of fans/competitors in those sports.
That explains why the amount of money in strongman and bodybuilding doesn't compete as well.
Once again yes, this is pretty obvious but I just had to say it.

TLG
04-22-2011, 03:18 PM
I know this is obvious but the amount of money and the amount of skill or effort doesn't always correlate. I don't know the actual figures but look at the correlation between amount of money earned and the amount of fans/competitors in those sports.
That explains why the amount of money in strongman and bodybuilding doesn't compete as well.
Once again yes, this is pretty obvious but I just had to say it.

so you are saying that there are more fans for bowling, darts, and pool then strongman?

TLG
04-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Janette Lee, aka the Black Widow does. I NEVER and I mean NEVER have watched billiards... and I hear about her and know about her. She has quite the fan base, clothing line, etc. Very good job of promoting herself in the sport... also, because of that, gets invited to all the top invite-only billiards tournaments.

http://www.cuesportgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/jeannette_lee_23.jpg

she wasn't even listed as the highest paid.

robert da strongman
04-22-2011, 04:17 PM

F***ING BS!

you have not been around the sport long enough to get it have you?
strongman is grass roots...the promoters are the athletes. so the athletes need to go out and make quality competitions. but in doing so they need to promote the hell out of it.
when i did promote i got the whole town involved and promoted for months in advance. i even had the comp on NAS for 6 months ahead of time. Jason is pretty good at it too..last Chicago's Strongest man had the NBC affiliate there.
and as far as the athletes go, no one will bang down your door with endorsements, it it up to us to go get them. we have to do the legwork for ourselves. no one and i mean NO ONE will give you a gift cuz you are strong.
too much like work for you? give up strongman and learn to play pool or darts...

TLG
04-22-2011, 04:42 PM
you have not been around the sport long enough to get it have you?
strongman is grass roots...the promoters are the athletes. so the athletes need to go out and make quality competitions. but in doing so they need to promote the hell out of it.
when i did promote i got the whole town involved and promoted for months in advance. i even had the comp on NAS for 6 months ahead of time. Jason is pretty good at it too..last Chicago's Strongest man had the NBC affiliate there.
and as far as the athletes go, no one will bang down your door with endorsements, it it up to us to go get them. we have to do the legwork for ourselves. no one and i mean NO ONE will give you a gift cuz you are strong.
too much like work for you? give up strongman and learn to play pool or darts...

Being around long enough doesn't really mean anything to me, because I understood the first time I competed that I wouldn't ever be doing this for money. I always thought it would be nice, just like winning the lottery would be nice. I also know that you have to go out and get sponsors. WHICH I DID. I got a sponsor after my first contest who still pays all my fees and gives me free food at his restaurant to this day. (at least i hope so, i haven't talked to him in a while). I never knew the guy before strongman, I met him, started talking and he wanted to sponsor me.

Yet, you are trying to side track the point, with trying to make this about me.

The point that I was originally trying to make, is that there are people out there that are getting nice chances to make money, in sports that I feel receive about the same amount of exposure. So then who is dropping the ball in terms of getting the athletes compensated? The athletes themselves?

I know that the hotdog eating is once a year on fourth of july, on ESPN. I KNOW NOTHING ELSE ABOUT IT. Now, I know WSM is on once a year on ESPN. Seems to be about the same right? Then tell me how Joey Chestnut is pulling in over $200 grand in earnings??? Because he is promoting the sport? COME ON MAN! Strongman has been around for 30 years, are you telling me that all those athletes haven't "promoted" the sport?

*** and for what reason, i don't know. This is not a thread about "oh woe is me, I can't make money." Please don't steer it in that direction. This thread has nothing to do with me.

robert da strongman
04-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Being around long enough doesn't really mean anything to me, because I understood the first time I competed that I wouldn't ever be doing this for money. I always thought it would be nice, just like winning the lottery would be nice. I also know that you have to go out and get sponsors. WHICH I DID. I got a sponsor after my first contest who still pays all my fees and gives me free food at his restaurant to this day. (at least i hope so, i haven't talked to him in a while). I never knew the guy before strongman, I met him, started talking and he wanted to sponsor me.

you just contradicted yourself....previous post which i replied to you said it wasn't up to the athletes to promote themselves or the sport.

an no you have not been around long enough. this same topic has been coming up for the longest time. we could re-title this thread...THE DEAD HORSE. maybe with the success Derek Poundstone has had others will get that it is up to them to promote themselves and the sport.

TLG
04-22-2011, 05:14 PM
you just contradicted yourself....previous post which i replied to you said it wasn't up to the athletes to promote themselves or the sport.

an no you have not been around long enough. this same topic has been coming up for the longest time. we could re-title this thread...THE DEAD HORSE. maybe with the success Derek Poundstone has had others will get that it is up to them to promote themselves and the sport.

I don't see where I contradicted myself. I said that, "saying it is up to the athletes is BS." Someone should be the "promoter" and someone should be the "athlete".

I know the topic of endorsements and SPONSORSHIPS is been talked about a lot.

I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about the money that is given out as prize money, for contests.

Let me break it down for you, since you keep thinking this is about myself and how I haven't been around long enough, or whatever it is that you think.

Joe Blow football players signs $500,000 contract - It is up to the OWNER TO PROMOTE THE TEAM AND THE GAMES, TO PAY THIS PLAYER. NOT THE PLAYER HIMSELF.

Joe Blow football players signs with nike, or gatorade. - It is up to the player to go out and do this, the team will not do this for him.

I AM TALKING ABOUT THE TEAM IN THIS CASE. NOT THE DAMN PLAYER.

Derek won the arnold, those are winnings/earnings. I don't know what the breakdown is for WSM but I hope he at least got something for top ten. That would be what the SPORT OF STRONGMAN essentially paid DEREK.

His radio show, magazines articles, website, twitter, store, soy company contract, etc. he did himself. I UNDERSTAND THAT.

What I am saying is, at what point does the "TEAM" have to step and promote strongman.

I MEAN AT WHAT POINT did derek promoting himself RAISE THE EARNINGS AT WSM?

until you can answer that, please don't take any more personal shots at me, because it isn't make you look "wiser".

robert da strongman
04-22-2011, 08:17 PM
I don't see where I contradicted myself. I said that, "saying it is up to the athletes is BS." Someone should be the "promoter" and someone should be the "athlete".

I know the topic of endorsements and SPONSORSHIPS is been talked about a lot.

I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about the money that is given out as prize money, for contests.

Let me break it down for you, since you keep thinking this is about myself and how I haven't been around long enough, or whatever it is that you think.

Joe Blow football players signs $500,000 contract - It is up to the OWNER TO PROMOTE THE TEAM AND THE GAMES, TO PAY THIS PLAYER. NOT THE PLAYER HIMSELF.

Joe Blow football players signs with nike, or gatorade. - It is up to the player to go out and do this, the team will not do this for him.

I AM TALKING ABOUT THE TEAM IN THIS CASE. NOT THE DAMN PLAYER.

Derek won the arnold, those are winnings/earnings. I don't know what the breakdown is for WSM but I hope he at least got something for top ten. That would be what the SPORT OF STRONGMAN essentially paid DEREK.

His radio show, magazines articles, website, twitter, store, soy company contract, etc. he did himself. I UNDERSTAND THAT.

What I am saying is, at what point does the "TEAM" have to step and promote strongman.

I MEAN AT WHAT POINT did derek promoting himself RAISE THE EARNINGS AT WSM?

until you can answer that, please don't take any more personal shots at me, because it isn't make you look "wiser".

there lies the problem....we don't have owners or teams, strongman is an individual sport. the contest promoters barely break even or lose money. why i always chose to do charity events. i also put whatever was left towards the competitors in food and schwag. it is up to the competitor to get their share by endorsements and sponsors.

also you should understand the politics of the sport too. there are a lot of players out there scrounging for the promotion money. TWI and ASC are not exactly friendly towards each other. listen to the power hour episodes with mike johnston and dione...then you should be enlightened.

and please don't be so offended and sensitive, i am just pointing out the facts and discussing the points. but if you have a grand idea on how to fix this please email dione.

The Big Sexy
04-22-2011, 08:25 PM
she wasn't even listed as the highest paid.

I'm not sure what your point is. You said you couldn't go into a bowling alley and see pictures of the top guy. I can't go into a strongman event and see pictures of the WSM either. Point?

Black Widow kills with endorsements of billiards companies and is known widely in her sport and outside her sport. She is picked up as a commentator by ESPN as well as other broadcasting networks that cover billiards.

I was using billiards - a sport comparable to bowling - where self-promotion can get you acclaim and fame outside of your sport regardless of winnings.

Curt James
04-22-2011, 08:30 PM
so you are saying that there are more fans for bowling, darts, and pool than strongman?

My guess would be "Definitely!"

There are easily as many bars on the planet as there are gyms. And each of those (or many) there is at least on dart board.

Not every gym has a strongman competitor or even a fan of strongman (another guess).

Likewise bowling. There are bowling alleys all across the U.S. Newspapers typically report 300 games and outstanding 3-game totals. Children play bumper bowling.

How many kiddie strongman events have you attended?

For $50 you can get a ball drilled and be bowling today with a pair of rented shoes.

Strongman requires a gym membership as a bare minimum. Bowling costs what? And it's family friendly. Not too many kids are training seriously with mom and dad.

Bitter strongman is bitter. Be grateful that the sport is getting the coverage it is. A great sport needs positive advocates!

TLG
04-22-2011, 11:43 PM
there lies the problem....we don't have owners or teams, strongman is an individual sport. the contest promoters barely break even or lose money. why i always chose to do charity events. i also put whatever was left towards the competitors in food and schwag. it is up to the competitor to get their share by endorsements and sponsors.

also you should understand the politics of the sport too. there are a lot of players out there scrounging for the promotion money. TWI and ASC are not exactly friendly towards each other. listen to the power hour episodes with mike johnston and dione...then you should be enlightened.

and please don't be so offended and sensitive, i am just pointing out the facts and discussing the points. but if you have a grand idea on how to fix this please email dione.

I understand that, and I understand the lower level contests. Just like every lower level, the costs out shine the rewards. My girlfriend does equestrian, but she isn't on the level of the woman making $600,000. She has almost 100% costs vs. rewards. But at some point, there is a place and contests she can win money, and it is an individual sport. So that is kind of my point. At some point it isn't about her promoting herself and her horse, it is the contest its self.

I listen to power hour, especially the MJ and Dione ones. I have had several long talks with MJ over on the anvil about "the future of strongman" a while back where there was a small stir up about the natural fed calling some of their athletes pros, or something.

I would like to say that I wasn't offended, as I just didn't understand why you had to make it about me, by saying I wasn't around long enough or whatever. The whole idea wasn't to say, I don't make money, woe is me, I should get paid. It was more along the lines of saying, does anyone else find it funny that other athletes are getting compensated and almost every strongman is having to work another job. I was sort of trying to get some more people involved and try to get the word out to get some athletes some money.

That is the whole reason I posted here. Because I feel this site is rising very fast for strongman is a good place to actually talk to the athletes and see videos and hear results.

Jason Bever
04-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Man did I miss a lot while I was gone! To comment on a few of the posts:

- Prize money I would guess $100,000 on the high end for your top strongman athletes.

- After running big contests through the years, I would love to give out large cash prizes. The problem is who will give that kind of sponsorship money? The people that can give that kind of money (ex. Bud, Coke, McDonalds) are not interested, at least so far. Those that would give (smaller gyms and other local businesses) just don't have that kind of money. At the end of the day, prize money, in reality, is an investment by the sponsor. If I have a widget company (I just watched Back To School with Rodney Dangerfield, so I had to use this!) and had $100,000 to give out, how does my company benefit?

- Sponsorship, IMO, is the biggest factor with making money. I'm not sure who reading this follows MMA, but what about Kimbo Slice making $200,000 in his third pro fight? Talented fighters I know that have fought for years are lucky to make $2,000. Why did he get this much money? It's because sponsors and promoters recognized him as a solid and marketable investment at that time. I'm sure the youtube sensation helped his popularity as well. Before the comments start I'm not saying I agree with starting this way, but it seemed to work out very well for Kimbo Slice financially.

- I have to agree that billards and eating are more popular than strongman in mainstream society. Although strongman and strength sports are more popular with me, most of my friends can't relate to lifting a car; however, they can relate to downing burritos and sinking an 8-ball in the corner pocket.

- On another post I mentioned The Strongman Show-The Battle of the Giants that took place in Hammond IN last weekend. FYI, it is safe to say that 90% of the sponsors and 80% of the crowd were of Polish descent. Poland, like other Eastern European and Scandanvian countries, look at strongman like we do with football and baseball. My wife's best friend, who is Polish, never works out and knows exactly who Mariusz is. The reason I mention this is because the show would not have taken place financially with only American business money.

- I think back to the real question here "What can do to help promote the sport?" Well, I think that is up to everyone involved with it. I feel, over the years, I have done my done a lot with being the first promoter in Chicago. Athletes need to show what they can do for businesses as being a solid investment as well. I feel all of us in strength sports need one another to build on. It's attending meets, buying products, and discussing strength feats with the average Joe like we are taking about Monday Night Football.

TLG- I agree that being around a long time doesn't equate to knowing much. I may break my arm patting myself on the back, but I do know a little something about strength sports and business. I also know about combat sports, English literature, and school law. I'm more or less an idiot savant, so please don't ask me about anything besides these topics! All in fun TLG!

Jason Bever
04-23-2011, 07:08 PM
LMAO off at my grammatical errors in my last post! I was in a rush to get to my kids Easter egg hunt. Remember, I can talk about literature, not grammar!

I’d like to kick this question up a notch: What would it take to make strongman and strength sports profitable? Can strength sports be profitable to where individuals can make a living off of it? For those that think it can, I’d love to hear ideas on what you think could be done to make this happen.

rickiii
04-23-2011, 11:11 PM
LMAO off at my grammatical errors in my last post! I was in a rush to get to my kids Easter egg hunt. Remember, I can talk about literature, not grammar!

I’d like to kick this question up a notch: What would it take to make strongman and strength sports profitable? Can strength sports be profitable to where individuals can make a living off of it? For those that think it can, I’d love to hear ideas on what you think could be done to make this happen.

I think it can, but.... how is the huge problem.

Not sure if this makes sense, but it needs to be a generally recognizable sport that people can get something out of when they attend.

TLG
04-24-2011, 01:59 AM
I think it can, but.... how is the huge problem.

Not sure if this makes sense, but it needs to be a generally recognizable sport that people can get something out of when they attend.

I agree and disagree at the same time.

Anyone can play two hand touch football.... Yet would you watch a group of kids do it in the backyard, or watch the NFL on TV?

There is something that is missing and it has to be the entertainment value.

People don't watch American Idol because they can sing in the shower, they watch it to see who is going to be the "next star".

The general comment is that people can relate to bowling or basketball because they can go do it themselves. Yes, in a sense that is true. But.... Being able to relate to it only gets you so far, and then it has to be entertaining for you to keep watching. What is the entertainment value of watching strongman while sitting in my home? Or going out and paying for a ticket?

I mean when I was younger, "The Power Team" came to my school to promote a show they were putting on at a local church. I begged my dad to take me because I thought it was so cool, watching them pick up a REAL LOG, hammer nails, burst big balloons, or burst cans of soda, etc. We went and BOUGHT tickets, and the place was sold out, because it was entertainment, yeah it had a message, and it was "show", but the point is still there. I couldn't do any of those things, nor did I go home and try, or did my dad, but it was fun to watch.

In strongman the only show I have ever found entertaining to watch is WSM. Because they use a real log, pull a plane/bus/etc. carry anvils, do a car walk or fridge carry, or have the kegs rolling down and banging into the cage for each rep. There is a timer, or rep counter. It is exciting.

Now on the flip-side of that, you have a contest where some weird metal log is used that has huge holes cut out on both sides, you have a guy carrying a plain black pole looking yoke/farmers, yeah you might have a car lift, but it is side handles where you just kind of see the guy bending up and down...... ITS BORING. The equipment might be nice for the athletes, and nice equipment does cost money, so not everyone can afford to buy the nice equipment for their shows. The point is, you say it needs to be able to relate to the general public, yet the simplest part of that is being over looked.

It doesn't after to be over the top and gimmicky, like a side show circus. But if you have to sit there and explain for 5 minutes how the farmers walk is like holding two average size people in each hand, and then all you see is a plain back pole with plates, its boring. Maybe try taking two old vending machines, and welding them together somehow with a handle, and do a vending machine frame carry. Little kid says, "look daddy, he is carry two machines". They both watch and it becomes interesting, I feel it is so simple.

Besides the simplest intention grabbing equipment, for it to be entertaining as a TV show, or along those lines. There has to be some type of elimination or countdown or something. Every show or sport has it now. Top four elimination to the top two, or 64 teams down to the final four. Right now in America for an athlete the day after they turn pro, the only thing there is really is the America's Strongest Man. But they can enter that right away. So say that ASC got some magical deal to air the ASM on TV. What is their pitch? These guys have turned pro, and now they are here, lets see who will win..... There has to be more then that, because it just sounds like an exhibition match.

I know that all people think differently and have different ideas... I know that strongman is not football or baseball, where the popularity grew through people playing and then naturally based competition and rivalry set in to a point where players were getting paid to play for certain teams. Strongman essentially started out as a show of feats of strength at big shows like the Chicago World's Fair, or Eugene Sandow doing feats of strength in London auditoriums. I know that Sandow is the "farther of bodybuilding" but he got recognized by his feats of strength. It was essentially a one man show, but he made some money back then from being strong...

*** Now I know that it is bound to be said again.... That I haven't been around long enough, or I'm not on a high enough level, or that whatever. It doesn't matter who I am. If people can't take ideas for what they are, and not who they come from, then nothing can be done. Maybe instead of just talking about it, then concluding with the easiest way out of the problem, "It is up to the athletes." something can be done.

rickiii
04-24-2011, 08:46 AM
In strongman the only show I have ever found entertaining to watch is WSM. Because they use a real log, pull a plane/bus/etc. carry anvils, do a car walk or fridge carry, or have the kegs rolling down and banging into the cage for each rep. There is a timer, or rep counter. It is exciting.

Now on the flip-side of that, you have a contest where some weird metal log is used that has huge holes cut out on both sides, you have a guy carrying a plain black pole looking yoke/farmers, yeah you might have a car lift, but it is side handles where you just kind of see the guy bending up and down...... ITS BORING. The equipment might be nice for the athletes, and nice equipment does cost money, so not everyone can afford to buy the nice equipment for their shows. The point is, you say it needs to be able to relate to the general public, yet the simplest part of that is being over looked.

I do see where the spectators would be bored on this. WSM seems to kick it up a few notches

Maybe, just maybe... if the NAS required some specific equipment, then the different regions could have their own to share. Egos would need to be left aside, and the equipment needs to be at each event. We could still have some other events specific to "our" show, but each show would require a few "standard" events.

Ok... hope this makes sense... havent had the morning coffee yet

rickiii
04-24-2011, 11:11 AM
I do see where the spectators would be bored on this. WSM seems to kick it up a few notches

Maybe, just maybe... if the NAS required some specific equipment, then the different regions could have their own to share. Egos would need to be left aside, and the equipment needs to be at each event. We could still have some other events specific to "our" show, but each show would require a few "standard" events.

Finished my breakfast and coffee, and yes, it makes sense in my head. However, it is still missing some points.

Those that know me, know I have a huge issue with spectators not being able to view the events. If the spectators cant see what is going on, then they lose interest, and then they leave, and we lose some possible future competitors.

Weight classes. It would be nice to have some consistency in what is available at events. This may require the promoters to require a minimum of X amount in order to have that weight class, but it would be nice to know that I could possibly complete in a Lightweight Masters class. Since there normally isn't a Lightweight Masters class, I would be limited to only certain events. I could enter the Masters Open, to get experience, but I would like to at least have a chance at placing. I don't care if it is third... I just want a chance. Limited classes = limited competitors = limited newbies

Ohhh.. on the subject of weight classes.... the womens side is lacking. I know a few smaller women that would like to compete, but it seems to always be Women's Open. Lets put a 130 pound up against a 220 pound and call if fair. I know some lower weight females that would like to compete, but their are < 150 and they dont want to compete against the +200 competitors.

Hmmm.... what else can I think of....

rickiii
04-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Prizes

People like trophies, but I have heard several say they would rather have the cash.

robert da strongman
04-24-2011, 01:52 PM
ok strongmen....i need some input. thanks to TLG this has inspired me to write an article, but i need your help!

what do i want from you? well....

what is one thing that you think needs to be done to help strongman grow?

just PM me your answer...if you want to use your name or screenname please let me know, or i will post it as anonymous.

TLG
04-24-2011, 02:40 PM

Finished my breakfast and coffee, and yes, it makes sense in my head. However, it is still missing some points.

Those that know me, know I have a huge issue with spectators not being able to view the events. If the spectators cant see what is going on, then they lose interest, and then they leave, and we lose some possible future competitors.

Weight classes. It would be nice to have some consistency in what is available at events. This may require the promoters to require a minimum of X amount in order to have that weight class, but it would be nice to know that I could possibly complete in a Lightweight Masters class. Since there normally isn't a Lightweight Masters class, I would be limited to only certain events. I could enter the Masters Open, to get experience, but I would like to at least have a chance at placing. I don't care if it is third... I just want a chance. Limited classes = limited competitors = limited newbies

Ohhh.. on the subject of weight classes.... the womens side is lacking. I know a few smaller women that would like to compete, but it seems to always be Women's Open. Lets put a 130 pound up against a 220 pound and call if fair. I know some lower weight females that would like to compete, but their are < 150 and they dont want to compete against the +200 competitors.

Hmmm.... what else can I think of....

You are right on the money with those :yep:

I have been saying since day one that I wish there was more of a written rule book. Every sport has one, and the rules books almost date the sports themselves.

I think that if you have some basic rules and some basic equipment guidelines, then you can equally spread a message across the board. I mean if a spectator goes to a local show, and it has some of the worst equipment, maybe events that don't really count as strongman, and the spectator finds it weird or boring, they will most likely not give it a second chance. With some type of general guideline across the board, the sport can have a chance to be attractive at a basic level.

Now I know this might deter some promoters because they don't have the equipment, well maybe that is where the state chairmen gets involved and helps out. I can understand maybe one less show a year per state, if all the other shows are of better quality.

As far as viewing, that is a good one as well. I often find it hard to hear sometimes as well. If I'm sitting towards the back of the contest, sometimes I have to get up and walk to the middle of the contest just to hear who is on deck or in the hole. That will just take good planning and promoter coordination on a lower level. On a bigger level, or on indoor shows, I'm sure some type of A/V setup with monitors or something can help the people in the back.

The weight class stuff would essentially go into the "rule book". I would also like to see that whatever you weigh in at DAY OF, you compete in. Not you weigh 230 and you compete in SHW or you weigh ~280 and you somehow get into the below 264.

There are a lot of great ideas that I feel can be simply implemented, and start having an impact...

robert da strongman
04-24-2011, 03:17 PM
to cover a few points that have been discussed....

shared and standard equipment....who pays for it and ships it? where is it stored? then you are going to have the bitching about trying out the implements. IFSA tried it...cost them dearly.

weight classes....again this is cost. as a promoter if i offer all weight classes then i have to have trophies for each. a cost i don't want to incur since i am losing money to begin with. with the women it is the same issue. will they show? unless the numbers grow consistently in women's comps then it will remain the sameas it is now.

rules....NAS has been consistent in judging and scoring forever! i have been to shows all over and see the same in florida, illinois, indiana, and ohio....competitors should know how things run and if not check on it. also that is why we have rules meetings.

24 hour weigh ins....all sports with weight classes have them. if you want to drop weight then learn how to cut or make permanent changes to your bodyfat/ weight

TLG
04-24-2011, 03:59 PM
I think my main point is that:

interest ---> spectators ---> money ---> athletes

So yes having the same equipment will cause an increase in costs, but if it means more spectators and more money flowing in, then I see it is as a plus. There will be no free changes that will magically bring money into strongman, money is going to have to be spent.

As far as weight classes I am for keeping it simple, LW and HW. That is fine with me, but whatever you weigh you weigh. No jumping classes.

I don't want to start nit picking, but the rules and judging are not consistent across the board. I have watched videos of NAT's where guys consistently rested an axle on a belt before getting it up to their shoulder for the press. I know that Dione does not allow this, and I was wondering how a guy is getting every rep counted when every rep is resting on the belt. That might be one instance, but what I mean by clear rules is, that some contests will have suit/straps/sump/whatever deadlift, then one will have straps only no sumo no suit. Then some will have unlimited drops on famers, and some will have one drop only. These might seem like competitor only things, but I see it from a spectator point of view also. Guy picks up farmers, walks ten feet, drops them, tries to pick them up again, drops them, starts yelling and dancing around, then tries to pick them up again, goes like 2 feet. I mean at some point.... it gets kind of goofy.

rickiii
04-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Keeping the costs down does matter, but if it is hurting the sport, should there be a change?

Shared equipment may not be needed, but the events need some regular items. I hear competitors bitching about ... I swear this weights more than 240... this farmers is soooo much different than the one at the last event. So, maybe some rules on what the equipment is. I know... this could increase the cost. However, maybe we need to look at the possible return on the investment

Weight classes. Okay, how about giving 75% of the money paid as a prize split between 1st, 2nd, 3rd. No trophy. Lets have some cash and bragging rights.

Then again, I am a newbie... I may not have any idea what has been going on over the past, but I do see things from a newbie that would like to participate, and also as a spectator (that attends several events)

Jason Bever
04-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Some great discussion taking place here! Popularity definitely equates to money in the sports world. Does anyone here wonder if the media (or lack of) makes a difference of where strongman and strength sports rank in popularity? Rob mentioned how NBC came to the Chicago's Strongest Man event. Heck, Nick Keaty and I were even on the morning show here in Chicago. It was a great experience with great feedback. The next year we were told to call them if we were doing something different, almost like we were more of a freakshow. I have two questions to build off this regarding popularity: One, do we want to build up or scale back on the freakshow image? Two, if someone with strong financial or media ties had a big interest in strongman, would it greatly aid to the popularity of strongman and strength sports? I’m interested on the thoughts on this. Rob, I’d love to hear about your perspective on this in your article as well!

TLG
04-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Rick, those are some good points. There are ~40 contests listed on the NAS website right now. It would be hard for equipment to be shared between those events, and I'm not saying it needs to happen before the end of the year. Yet I feel a baseline could be established, and then regulations could come in the years to follow.

The Southern Powerlifting Federation requires all meets to have a monolift. Then why can't we say that if you are going to have a farmers event, you need to use a/b/c kind of farmers. The rules are no tacky, no straps, 1 drop allowed, or whatever.

I guarantee you if I brought my mom to a contest, and I said, "ok, next is the farmers, do you know what those are?" She would say, "Um is that where you walk with those things?" or something like that, the point is, there is no regulation, or being able to easily identify an event. If it is that hard to follow, then how are people going to have any continued interest?

Everyone is always able to identify and are usually sort of shocked when they see atlas stones sitting in my driveway. "You pick those up?" or whatever the comment is, those are usually interesting to people. Same goes for the big tire, and surprising a real simple how much can you pick up, referring to a deadlift... I'm not saying get rid of the other events, or have tire and stones in every contest, that would be boring. But it could be spiced up a bit.

... Would you watch basketball if they played on a plain cement court with no regulation lines, a regular white backboard and a rim with no net?

... Would you watch football if it was just a plain dirt field with barely any grass, no lines, and like cones or something for endzones?

I guess this plays into jasons comment about media, and about being "freakish". It sort of reminds me of Evil Kenevil or anyone that does the big jumps. It was exciting because, last time he jumped 20 cars, and this time he is jumping 22 cars. Or he jumped over the Great Wall, now he is going to jump the Grand Canyon. I don't think he would draw the big crowds over and over again just jumping 20 cars every time.

So yeah there has to be more then 10 guys all doing the same stuff, and some guys not even being able to do some of the events. I think Nathan mentioned this on the Power Hour when he said that the Circus DB press in the Arnold was sort of anti-climatic. Because the first couple guys walked out and zeroed the event.

So with that I think there is a viscous circle in strongman, that right now the consensus seems like for events to be more entertaining they have to get heavier. Well if the Circus DB looks exactly the same as last year, and maybe a spectator didn't even see it last year, and 5 people come out and don't even lift it. What exactly are you accomplishing? I know it is a different sport, but I think of the hotdog eating contest every year, the size of the hot dogs don't really change, it is how many can you eat. People watch to see who is going to get 50+ or whatever. Strongman can be entertaining like that as well. It is essentially how much can you lift? right?

robert da strongman
04-25-2011, 10:01 AM

I don't want to start nit picking, but the rules and judging are not consistent across the board. I have watched videos of NAT's where guys consistently rested an axle on a belt before getting it up to their shoulder for the press. I know that Dione does not allow this, and I was wondering how a guy is getting every rep counted when every rep is resting on the belt. That might be one instance, but what I mean by clear rules is, that some contests will have suit/straps/sump/whatever deadlift, then one will have straps only no sumo no suit. Then some will have unlimited drops on famers, and some will have one drop only. These might seem like competitor only things, but I see it from a spectator point of view also. Guy picks up farmers, walks ten feet, drops them, tries to pick them up again, drops them, starts yelling and dancing around, then tries to pick them up again, goes like 2 feet. I mean at some point.... it gets kind of goofy.

yes to the first part....it is all about that. big name sponsors will look for numbers of spectators and the demographics.

second part....well if it was allowed then i guess it counts. i know the resting on the belt does not count and sumo is never allowed. but maybe the judge had better perspective....anyway. suits?? only if it is a max lift. strongmen shouldn't need suits....and thats only cuz my sucks ass!

and finally, great points by everyone. i got me some good material here.

Armored Underdog
04-25-2011, 04:35 PM
I wish that WSM had a commercial about time and day they were doing the events on spike channel or something. something similar to ufc on spike channel. not even with the drama or anything like that, but where what time a certain event was happening and what time to catch it on that station. I know espn is a great channel for a sports enthusiast, but someone watching a movie or tv show on spike would see the commercial for it, that would help too I think..

But that is my 2 cents.

Mike

Bryan Hildebrand
04-25-2011, 04:45 PM
ok strongmen....i need some input. thanks to TLG this has inspired me to write an article, but i need your help!

what do i want from you? well....

what is one thing that you think needs to be done to help strongman grow?

just PM me your answer...if you want to use your name or screenname please let me know, or i will post it as anonymous.

drug testing!

rickiii
04-25-2011, 05:02 PM
So with that I think there is a viscous circle in strongman, that right now the consensus seems like for events to be more entertaining they have to get heavier.

Not questioning what you said, but just overall.... Is it the competitors or spectators that say it needs to get heavier?

robert da strongman
04-25-2011, 05:27 PM
drug testing!

i think you are high....haha

rickiii
04-25-2011, 08:49 PM
drug testing!

That would be the Florida Natural Strongman Association

TLG
04-25-2011, 11:43 PM
drug testing!

I think that brings up a certain point. I have been asked at a local contest if people where tested. The guy asking didn't really seem to care, because I told him that there was no testing at the moment. I feel that even if you say it is tested, people will still say, "well he has to be on something." I think that if the main goal is to do drug testing for spectators, some will still be set in their ways and think the athletes are using.

Not questioning what you said, but just overall.... Is it the competitors or spectators that say it needs to get heavier?

I think its a promoters point of view, that they need to have a more exciting show, or maybe have it more competitive. I mean Scott Weech's CFSM has been the same approximate weights the last three years. Yet bigger shows like Nats, or Arnold, or whatever seem to be getting heavier, I asked for a heavier deadlift - but didn't get it.... So I doubt the fans are sending emails and calling in asking for heavy weights. Some athletes might have said something here or there about something being heavier, but I think it has been basically the promoters idea.

Sledge
04-26-2011, 01:04 AM
so you are saying that there are more fans for bowling, darts, and pool then strongman?

hell yeah. I don't know about the US but in Australia every local bar and pub has a darts league and a Pool competition. I believe bowling is HUGE in the USA while not so big in Australia.

It's not uncommon for a pool or darts champ to tour the pubs etc doing demonstrations giving tips and playing the local hot shots. All sponsored by a beer company or some other alcohol company. So while the Australian Darts Champion may not rake in the prize money at competitions (though I'd bet it's not to shabby) the sponsorship and tour money would be worth a fair ammount.

I can't even find a single strongman competition in the state I live in this year. I think I'd have trouble finding 2 dozen fans if I looked for a year. And I can't see Jack Daniels sponsering a strongman competition or demonstration evening at my local pub in the near future.

Sledge
04-26-2011, 01:15 AM
drug testing!

yep. if your test comes back negative you don't qualify.:p

Jason Bever
04-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Events will definitely play a part in any show, whether it’s for the competitor, spectator, or both. I don’t think that events have to be heavy to be exciting, but it does have to be something visually appealing to the spectator to draw that extra attention. Watching people move vehicles and carry machines usually draws more attention than someone lifting a bar. Although us on this forum have the respect for those lifting large weights with bars, the fans often times just see it as a bar with weights. The machines and vehicles seem to create a different feel.

I think the weights and equipment are going to depend on the competitor and the competition itself. The plus side for a competitor with events more standard, like log and farmers, it makes it easier to train for. It’s often easier to have access to these items than a semi truck. On the flipside, some people love events with a vehicle pull or lift involved. I know others that want items heavier or lighter, depending on what their personal strength is (max vs. reps). I think the events and weights are ultimately going to be in the eye of the beholder.

I know I’m probably in the minority here, but as a competitor and a strength geek, I like knowing equipment may very well be different. I love knowing technique with implements can play a big role in the success of the events. I have flipped 600 lbs tires that were harder than 800 lbs tires, or lighter sleds that were harder than heavier sleds due to the surface or weight distribution. As long as the equipment and judging is the same for every competitor in that particular meet, I’m all for seeing different objects come my way. Once again, I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but just my thought on standard equipment and events.

I know it was talked about some, but I’m still curious about the thoughts on building up or playing down the freakshow image for strongman. Which one will ultimately benefit the sport overall? I’m curious on the responses. Even if you don’t have the answer how to do it, I’d like to know how posters on this forum feel.

rickiii
04-26-2011, 08:10 PM
I know it was talked about some, but I’m still curious about the thoughts on building up or playing down the freakshow image for strongman. Which one will ultimately benefit the sport overall? I’m curious on the responses. Even if you don’t have the answer how to do it, I’d like to know how posters on this forum feel.

If you want the sport to grow, I think it would need to be played down.

smj091977
04-27-2011, 10:13 PM
I am not trying to put any of these ideas down, just commenting.

So yes having the same equipment will cause an increase in costs, but if it means more spectators and more money flowing in, then I see it is as a plus. There will be no free changes that will magically bring money into strongman, money is going to have to be spent.

As far as weight classes I am for keeping it simple, LW and HW. That is fine with me, but whatever you weigh you weigh. No jumping classes.

I have a few comments on your idea about the flow of success for strongman. I see interest and spectators as the same. If someone is not interested they won't watch. The next should not be money. Its a niche sport so the money simply won't magically appear. There has to be more competitors. There has to be more than the 2000 or so athletes to draw big sponsors. As it is, there is very little return.
I personally don't want to see strongman become more standardized than it already is. After watching 50 contests(as a staff guy, fan and competitor), if I saw the same 20 events exactly the same way every time, it would be boring. I recently saw a 5 man tag, double stone set load, it was the coolest stone event I have seen since IFSA's ring. One drop on farmers would be ridiculous because I have seen bad pickups. And do you know the biggest cheers during competitions are to get behind the guy who keeps picking up the farmers, because he keeps trying, showing heart despite the pain and exhaustion.

Keeping the costs down does matter, but if it is hurting the sport, should there be a change?

Shared equipment may not be needed, but the events need some regular items. I hear competitors bitching about ... I swear this weights more than 240... this farmers is soooo much different than the one at the last event. So, maybe some rules on what the equipment is. I know... this could increase the cost. However, maybe we need to look at the possible return on the investment

Weight classes. Okay, how about giving 75% of the money paid as a prize split between 1st, 2nd, 3rd. No trophy. Lets have some cash and bragging rights.

Then again, I am a newbie... I may not have any idea what has been going on over the past, but I do see things from a newbie that would like to participate, and also as a spectator (that attends several events)

Promoters use a lot of this money for trophies, but also shirts, travel expenses, sanctioning fees, insurance and in some case advertising. A lot of the promoters end up putting in their own cash or breaking even. These trophies may be costly in some cases, but usually 100 or less. If I am paying $50 to compete, getting $100, making a $50 profit for winning would not mean anything. That won't even cover my post contest meal at Olive Garden.

I wish that WSM had a commercial about time and day they were doing the events on spike channel or something. something similar to ufc on spike channel. not even with the drama or anything like that, but where what time a certain event was happening and what time to catch it on that station. I know espn is a great channel for a sports enthusiast, but someone watching a movie or tv show on spike would see the commercial for it, that would help too I think..

But that is my 2 cents.

Mike

I like this idea.

drug testing!

LOL yeah look what it did for baseball, wait is that sport still around?:)

Events will definitely play a part in any show, whether it’s for the competitor, spectator, or both. I don’t think that events have to be heavy to be exciting, but it does have to be something visually appealing to the spectator to draw that extra attention. Watching people move vehicles and carry machines usually draws more attention than someone lifting a bar. Although us on this forum have the respect for those lifting large weights with bars, the fans often times just see it as a bar with weights. The machines and vehicles seem to create a different feel.

I think the weights and equipment are going to depend on the competitor and the competition itself. The plus side for a competitor with events more standard, like log and farmers, it makes it easier to train for. It’s often easier to have access to these items than a semi truck. On the flipside, some people love events with a vehicle pull or lift involved. I know others that want items heavier or lighter, depending on what their personal strength is (max vs. reps). I think the events and weights are ultimately going to be in the eye of the beholder.

I know I’m probably in the minority here, but as a competitor and a strength geek, I like knowing equipment may very well be different. I love knowing technique with implements can play a big role in the success of the events. I have flipped 600 lbs tires that were harder than 800 lbs tires, or lighter sleds that were harder than heavier sleds due to the surface or weight distribution. As long as the equipment and judging is the same for every competitor in that particular meet, I’m all for seeing different objects come my way. Once again, I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but just my thought on standard equipment and events.

I agree about different events. I did a contest just to try fingal fingers. As far as the freakshow goes, Hell Yeah! What we do is not normal. Why else are planes, boats, harleys, cars, refrigerators, etc used if not for the freak factor? The WWE is all about the freak show, I mean do they even wrestle anymore? (serious question, I stopped watching after WCW was sold) Yes I am saying strongman needs a Vince McMahon. Maybe one who won't whore the spirit of strongman, but can promote the hell out of it and inject it with cash.

TLG
04-28-2011, 12:44 AM
I have a few comments on your idea about the flow of success for strongman. I see interest and spectators as the same. If someone is not interested they won't watch. The next should not be money. Its a niche sport so the money simply won't magically appear. There has to be more competitors. There has to be more than the 2000 or so athletes to draw big sponsors. As it is, there is very little return.
I personally don't want to see strongman become more standardized than it already is. After watching 50 contests(as a staff guy, fan and competitor), if I saw the same 20 events exactly the same way every time, it would be boring. I recently saw a 5 man tag, double stone set load, it was the coolest stone event I have seen since IFSA's ring. One drop on farmers would be ridiculous because I have seen bad pickups. And do you know the biggest cheers during competitions are to get behind the guy who keeps picking up the farmers, because he keeps trying, showing heart despite the pain and exhaustion.

I think there has to be some interest before there are spectators. If my girlfriend wasn't my girlfriend, she would have no interest in watching strongman. The only reason she becomes a spectator is because she is interested in watching me...

I put money next in the "flow" chart, because if the spectators come to the contest, then money is spent on tickets, thus being more money for strongman. The same goes for bands. Selling tickets to concerts is where they get most of the money. You say we need more competitors? Well I don't see how growing the athlete pool is going to get the athletes more money. 10 competitors or 100 competitors, if only 50 people show up, then where is the money coming from? The athletes paying to enter the contest? What is this a poker game.... the more strongman the bigger the pot?

Again I go back to the original article... Do you think in the world of competitive eating, there are more fans or competitors? Well I'm pretty sure each year they have around the same amount of guys sitting up on stage.....

As far as standardization. That was just something that I thought could add some structure to the sport. To make it a little more identifiable to the public. I didn't mean that every farmers walk has to be for 50ft, and 1 drop. I said one drop as part of a rough example of a rule that could be implied. It could be two drops, three drops or whatever. It was said more to make a point about basic rule structure, I honestly don't care how events are done, I just wanted it to be more specific on equipment and some obvious do's and don'ts.

smj091977
04-28-2011, 12:29 PM
I think there has to be some interest before there are spectators. If my girlfriend wasn't my girlfriend, she would have no interest in watching strongman. The only reason she becomes a spectator is because she is interested in watching me...

I put money next in the "flow" chart, because if the spectators come to the contest, then money is spent on tickets, thus being more money for strongman. The same goes for bands. Selling tickets to concerts is where they get most of the money. You say we need more competitors? Well I don't see how growing the athlete pool is going to get the athletes more money. 10 competitors or 100 competitors, if only 50 people show up, then where is the money coming from? The athletes paying to enter the contest? What is this a poker game.... the more strongman the bigger the pot?

Again I go back to the original article... Do you think in the world of competitive eating, there are more fans or competitors? Well I'm pretty sure each year they have around the same amount of guys sitting up on stage.....

As far as standardization. That was just something that I thought could add some structure to the sport. To make it a little more identifiable to the public. I didn't mean that every farmers walk has to be for 50ft, and 1 drop. I said one drop as part of a rough example of a rule that could be implied. It could be two drops, three drops or whatever. It was said more to make a point about basic rule structure, I honestly don't care how events are done, I just wanted it to be more specific on equipment and some obvious do's and don'ts.

Competitive eating, pool/billiards and darts have something that strongman does not. A ready made sponsor. Nathan's for the hotdog eating. Strongman doesn't have anything that can throw serious money. A ford dealership may donate a few cars for a dl challenge but it won't throw millions at the ASC to only use fords for their competitions for the year. Ford will throw hundreds of millions into Nascar and the like. I think that is what you are missing. Metrx and MHP sponsor some strongman but the majority of the supplement companies don't. With only 2000 competitors why would they? 2000 people who may or may not buy their product. We are too small of a group for the companies to really want. With more athletes, also comes more built in spectators. We rope our mothers, girlfriends and friends into coming to our show. Mostly we bring our own cheering sections with us. These people aren't really fans of the sport, they are our fans. Chances are they will never go to a contest we do not go to. Outside of fairs and expos these are the only people that show up for contests. Even at SinCity strongman challenge a few weeks ago, with a couple top pros, the crowd was pretty small.

TLG
04-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Competitive eating, pool/billiards and darts have something that strongman does not. A ready made sponsor. Nathan's for the hotdog eating. Strongman doesn't have anything that can throw serious money. A ford dealership may donate a few cars for a dl challenge but it won't throw millions at the ASC to only use fords for their competitions for the year. Ford will throw hundreds of millions into Nascar and the like. I think that is what you are missing. Metrx and MHP sponsor some strongman but the majority of the supplement companies don't. With only 2000 competitors why would they? 2000 people who may or may not buy their product. We are too small of a group for the companies to really want. With more athletes, also comes more built in spectators. We rope our mothers, girlfriends and friends into coming to our show. Mostly we bring our own cheering sections with us. These people aren't really fans of the sport, they are our fans. Chances are they will never go to a contest we do not go to. Outside of fairs and expos these are the only people that show up for contests. Even at SinCity strongman challenge a few weeks ago, with a couple top pros, the crowd was pretty small.

I like that you mentioned the SinCity strongman contest, because I think that Callie did a pretty good job at getting cool venues and it looked like a lot of small sponsors for the contest. I think some of the bigger ones being Rolling Rock and Harley Davidson. Yet, with all the announcements during the contest and the posters put up, do you think the company was thinking about the athletes that were going to be there or the spectators?

I think from a business point of view, sponsorship is really just a different way of saying advertising. Expecting whoever or whatever I'm "sponsoring" will do the advertising for me.

- So as a business I see sponsorship in three ways:
-- Sponsor an athlete
-- Sponsor a contest
-- Sponsor Strongman as a whole.

Right now I feel that all the sponsorship for strongman is that of an athlete or a contest. What you are talking about is sponsoring strongman as a whole, in which you say that "2000" athletes isn't enough.

I still think that if a company is looking at a sponsorship opportunity, it is overall exposure that is going to make the deciding choice.

Let's say I am a rep from Coke. I have heard good things about strongman and I want to put some money into that advertising venture. WHAT/WHO DO I SPONSOR? The ASC? The NAS? The SCL? Giants Live? WSM? The Arnold? Zydrunas? Derek? Brian?
-The number of athletes doesn't matter if they are segregated all over the place.

Again I go back to my point of bands and concerts. I've gone to a few concerts, and a lot of amateur "battle of the bands" type of concerts. The big money sponsors were at the concerts that could bring in the huge crowds. The amount of band members was higher in the amateur concerts, but the sponsors were less and were local places like "Dave's house of pizza". The big concerts that sold thousands of tickets had Jack Daniels, Budweiser, Verizon, etc. --- Well there were more musicians in the local contests so more people to buy the products right?

I hope you are understanding what I'm trying to say, the number of athletes means nothing unless they are all going to be competing in the same show. The overall exposure is what is going to bring in sponsors that will add money to strongman winnings/earnings.

Also I would like to say real quick, that the type of spectators you are talking about that come with athletes, also most likely LEAVE WITH THE ATHLETES.

The solutions to grow strongman can't be a temporary solution to bring in more athletes/spectators for the time being, it has to be something that creates interest for spectators to come in regardless of affiliation to the athletes.

rickiii
04-28-2011, 05:29 PM
I agree about different events. I did a contest just to try fingal fingers. As far as the freakshow goes, Hell Yeah! What we do is not normal. Why else are planes, boats, harleys, cars, refrigerators, etc used if not for the freak factor? The WWE is all about the freak show, I mean do they even wrestle anymore? (serious question, I stopped watching after WCW was sold) Yes I am saying strongman needs a Vince McMahon. Maybe one who won't whore the spirit of strongman, but can promote the hell out of it and inject it with cash.

I can remember when Vince McMahon started a bodybuilding venture. I cant remember the name, but I remember he gave it a shot.

It didn't work well

smj091977
04-28-2011, 10:02 PM
I can remember when Vince McMahon started a bodybuilding venture. I cant remember the name, but I remember he gave it a shot.

It didn't work well

It was called the WBF I think. Gary Strydom was the champion. McMahon and Lex Luger were the commentators. Dont remember much else.

robert da strongman
04-28-2011, 10:09 PM
http://www.rxmuscle.com/strongman/rx-power-hour.html

Mike covers this subject a little...

TLG
04-29-2011, 12:59 AM
Wow mike brought up some of my points, like having the farmers looking good for the competitors, and having money but spreading it through 80 athletes is harder then a contest where you spread it through 10 guys.....

Ryan Bracewell
04-29-2011, 12:34 PM
The math is fairly simple. Let say your the absolute best in the world, the Ronnie Coleman of Strongman, you could easily clear $100,000-200,000 in contest winnings depending on how much you competed. In addition you could probably get a few sponsorships worth $20-50,000 a year in cash or goods. This could also give you opportunities to do demos or seminars for cash.

TLG
04-29-2011, 02:00 PM
The math is fairly simple. Let say your the absolute best in the world, the Ronnie Coleman of Strongman, you could easily clear $100,000-200,000 in contest winnings depending on how much you competed. In addition you could probably get a few sponsorships worth $20-50,000 a year in cash or goods. This could also give you opportunities to do demos or seminars for cash.

How many contests do you think it would take to get to that $200,000 right now? 6? 8?

This isn't a bash, or a sarcastic remark, this is just simply a question that I was thinking about...

Ryan Bracewell
04-29-2011, 02:31 PM
How many contests do you think it would take to get to that $200,000 right now? 6? 8?

This isn't a bash, or a sarcastic remark, this is just simply a question that I was thinking about...

probably more like 10-15. You would need to win the Arnold and WSM($80-90k total), and then 10 or so smaller contests at $5-15k each. This is assuming you win everything.