PDA

View Full Version : Target Training the Glutes

The Prodigy
04-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Target Training the Glutes

The glutes comprise three muscles, the gluteus maximus, gluteus minimus and the gluteus medius, however the maximus is the one of most concern, mainly because it is the largest of the three muscles, and the one that is most visible! The glutes are nearly impossible to isolate from their adjacent muscle groups - hamstrings and quadriceps, however you can adjust your exercises to focus more on the glute, to give an isolation-like effect. That being said, you will also find that some of the best glute exercises are actually some of the best exercise choices for leg development anyway!

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rxgirl/rx-girl-articles/3039-target-training-the-glutes.html

stephaniewicked
04-29-2011, 04:44 AM
Nice! I've actually been doing some unorthodox glute work lately to shake things up, so this article came at the perfect time. I don't know if my methods are working yet (I think so, but need more time to be sure! :p)

I do include the suggestions mentioned in the article, but when I'm not this deep into pre-contest (and I have more strength/energy), I keep my reps lower and weight higher. Only recently have I started doing sets in the 25+ range.

And I have to agree about the stepmill. My butt shrinks, but doesn't lose it's shape and bubbliness. I always squeeze my glutes with each step of the stepmill, and have always trained lower body minimum of 2x/week. I definitely believe these strategies help define that shapliness.

Thanks for sharing - look forward to more training articles!

Cdimeo
04-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Nice! I've actually been doing some unorthodox glute work lately to shake things up, so this article came at the perfect time. I don't know if my methods are working yet (I think so, but need more time to be sure! :p)

I do include the suggestions mentioned in the article, but when I'm not this deep into pre-contest (and I have more strength/energy), I keep my reps lower and weight higher. Only recently have I started doing sets in the 25+ range.

And I have to agree about the stepmill. My butt shrinks, but doesn't lose it's shape and bubbliness. I always squeeze my glutes with each step of the stepmill, and have always trained lower body minimum of 2x/week. I definitely believe these strategies help define that shapliness.

Thanks for sharing - look forward to more training articles!

ditto on the 2x a week leg/glute training for me--once a week is too much down time for my huge ass. I got on the stepmill at 4:30 today and my legs were so exhausted from doing them last night that it f'n killed. I lasted 15 mins lol and then jumped on the reg stairmaster --Im such a loser!

PFEPerformance
04-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Great article! I've also found all out sprints on the track followed by running bleachers is an "arse burner" and tightens things up nicely.