PDA

View Full Version : New guy, What equipment to buy?

john80y
04-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Hey Guys, New here...

I a few weeks I am moving out to the country and the closest gym will be about 35 miles away. So I'm looking at setting up my own little gym so I'll be able to get a workout in during the couple hours I have off in the afternoon.

I have a decent selection of dumbbells... Mainly wondering about benching and squating.. If there is anything that will allow me to push hard without having someone spot me. I have about 300sq ft and maybe $1000 - $1500max to spend.

Thanks

Ironman19871
04-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Hey Guys, New here...

I a few weeks I am moving out to the country and the closest gym will be about 35 miles away. So I'm looking at setting up my own little gym so I'll be able to get a workout in during the couple hours I have off in the afternoon.

I have a decent selection of dumbbells... Mainly wondering about benching and squating.. If there is anything that will allow me to push hard without having someone spot me. I have about 300sq ft and maybe $1000 - $1500max to spend.

Thanks

Here is a great artical to get you going.
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/kick_ass.htm

If I were to make my own gym with a $1500 budget, I would get:

Power Rack (from craigslist, there are a lot of power racks for $300-600 with high and low cable pull system)
Adjustable bench from EliteFTS.com
A Texas Power Bar from EliteFTS.com
Craigslist an Olympic B.Bell Set with a bunch of weight plates
Craigslist a seated or Standing Calf Raise
Craigslist search other pieces of Equipment as the years go bye.

Just use craigslist for as much as you can. I hope you have a truck or can borrow one.

As for a spotter, do not use clips and if you can't get a weight up tip the bar to the side and let all the plates on one side slide off or learn to dump weights correctly. This is why I hightly recommend a Texas Powerbar from EliteFTS.com, it will handle anything you throw at it and the knarling is bad ass.

Good Luck!!!

john80y
04-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks Man, Good Info.. No power rack stuff on craigslist around here but I'll keep looking... I have a few weeks anyway and I have a truck ;-)

joe d
05-10-2011, 07:50 AM
get a power rack, a flat bench (or an adjustable) that you can slide into the power rack, and a barbell with some weights. this is a basic setup that will cover the best of everything.

it will cover your squats, deads, bench, ohp, rows, chins, plus more. this is all you need.