PDA

View Full Version : Whats the most motivational thing you have seen in the gym?

pittbull
03-28-2009, 04:54 PM
I was working out one day and as usual had my headphones on and usually cant hear shit around me....I kept hearing this guy gruntin, breathing and bangin around. Finally I start watching him on the lat pulldown. He is swingin way back like a maniac to get the bar down and acting crazy almost! I thought wow, what a lunatic, hes gonna hurt himself.....after his set he reaches over and gets his little stick thing and starts "feeling" his way to the next piece of equipment.....

they guy was blind. Made me realize how fuckin stupid I am with some of the excuses I have used why I cant workout somedays....this guy cant even see!!! and hes working out feeling his way to each piece of equipment....I will never forget that.

Elphaba
03-28-2009, 06:04 PM
I saw a woman roll her wheelchair into the old 8th Street World's Gym in Colorado Springs. At the time (mid 90s) all the cardio equipment was against one wall in a tiered, stair type configuration. Lowest level treadmills and versa climber, second level bikes and a few stair masters. On the top level, a few more cardio contraptions and the lone C2 rower. This woman confidently parked her chair on the side of the stairs, climbed out of it and drug her body hand over hand up to the top level and onto the rower. She then proceeded to strap her motionless legs in place and began her workout. Thirty minutes later she wiped her brow, loosened the foot straps, climed out of the rower and dragged herself back down the stairs to her wheelchair. She completed this routeine with such dignity, grace and confidence it brought a tear to my eye. She obviously needed help from no one, and could row anyones ass into the ground. This happened on a Saturday, and every shit talking loud mouthed ass clown was in there. Needless to say the place came to a silent fucking standstill when she did her thing. Gave me a whole new focus and drive that continues to this day. Anyone, who can genuinely silence the "squat rack, stack-of-dimes curl crew" is forever my hero. Particularly a wheelchair bound, thirty something female parapelegic. Those fuckers were silent for weeks after that shit!! Priceless...
E

Ninja Loco
03-30-2009, 02:04 AM
Two things:

I saw a guy in a wheel chair working out in my main gym. People who go there know what's up: appearances can be decieving. But most outsiders dont. It took balls for him to come and work out (and work out HARD, mind you) in a gym that looks like a prison yard. I introduced myself to him and his partner, it was an honor to meet them.

I have a friend who is 274 pounds. Works two jobs round the clock, takes care of outpatients, and sleeps when she can. She takes care of two 9 year old twin girls in a one bedroom apartment all by herself. When she showed up for her training consultation and walked right into that hardcore gym, it made me smile real big.

Things like this are what I love to see most.

GirlyMuscle
03-30-2009, 07:47 AM
When I lived in IL and worked at a gym we had quite a few members in chairs. One guy had a motorized one and would come in alone. He lived about a half mile away. No one drove him. Another guy always brought someone with him. He liked to train heavier and need the spot. We also had mental challenged kids from the local high school. They'd come in with their caretakers and do basic stuff. It was their gym class. I remember one girl with Down's hated coming in on the first two days. The first day they couldn't even get her into the gym. She just sat in the lobby. After a couple of visits, she was hooked. She'd race her caretaker to the locker room and didn't want to leave when it was time to go.

That was at Planet Fitness. So see...there are good things about PF.

Wheels
03-30-2009, 01:36 PM
I saw a woman roll her wheelchair into the old 8th Street World's Gym in Colorado Springs. At the time (mid 90s) all the cardio equipment was against one wall in a tiered, stair type configuration. Lowest level treadmills and versa climber, second level bikes and a few stair masters. On the top level, a few more cardio contraptions and the lone C2 rower. This woman confidently parked her chair on the side of the stairs, climbed out of it and drug her body hand over hand up to the top level and onto the rower. She then proceeded to strap her motionless legs in place and began her workout. Thirty minutes later she wiped her brow, loosened the foot straps, climed out of the rower and dragged herself back down the stairs to her wheelchair. She completed this routeine with such dignity, grace and confidence it brought a tear to my eye. She obviously needed help from no one, and could row anyones ass into the ground. This happened on a Saturday, and every shit talking loud mouthed ass clown was in there. Needless to say the place came to a silent fucking standstill when she did her thing. Gave me a whole new focus and drive that continues to this day. Anyone, who can genuinely silence the "squat rack, stack-of-dimes curl crew" is forever my hero. Particularly a wheelchair bound, thirty something female parapelegic. Those fuckers were silent for weeks after that shit!! Priceless...
E

Great story

Mike Hunt
03-30-2009, 01:53 PM
I havent seen this in the gym but i feel it should be in this thread anyway.In the April Musclemag issue theres an article about a blind guy who is a bodybuilder and also trains clients in the gym.Amazing.He's from Massachusetts and his name is Greg Rando.Whats even more amazing is that he is in the IFBB.

Mercury
03-30-2009, 10:05 PM
E

I feel like making copies of this post and handing it out to a bunch of people I know. :D

There's a girl at my gym who I believe may have cerebral palsy (only a guess on my part). She has limited used of one side of her body, and some other issues. Now, she will get one of the guys to load plates for her when she uses the leg press (because of her coordination issues), but she still does the work. She uses every machine, dumbbells, etc. And she's adorable. The guys love her. :) Anyway, it makes me happy to see her. She really puts her heart into it. :)

Mossberg
04-02-2009, 02:51 PM
I had a trainer at one point who had had polio when he was younger. He overcame it and didnt let it get him down and he was very much in shape and a very good trainer. It was amazing, sadly at the time nothing could motivate me but now that I look back it does...

GENESIS
04-02-2009, 03:02 PM
mine isnt really motivational, but rather a lesson.

some dude at my school gym (didn't have a license at the time and it was the only place i could train) who didnt look like he trained was doing squats, and after a warm up of 135 he jumped all the way up to 365. his "spotter" was leisurely standing behind him as he attempted to do the set. the 365 went down to the ground but it never came back up. it pretty much smashed him underneath it lol.... whats worse is that it was one of those squat racks where the safety catch is really low. so he was in a pretty bad situation.

i learned alot of things that day

pfab1
04-02-2009, 08:43 PM
The fact that I will soon be training in Bev Francis Powerhouse is very motivating for me! There is one guy at the gym I currently go to who has one arm and he really trains hard and it is pretty inspiring to see some of the things he does!

DaveV
04-02-2009, 08:44 PM
A guy in a wheelchair doing lat pulldowns and cable curls.

KEVDIESEL
04-02-2009, 08:53 PM
showing up at the gym and seeing a buddy of mine in the middle of a leg workout. he had worked up to five plates each side ass to the floor for about eight reps he had a big smile on his face. he loved training legs. i always thought that was pretty good for the average joe.

Gymrat65
04-09-2009, 11:15 AM
This little 5'2" Asian Girl with a tight little body.

Bennny
04-12-2009, 10:58 AM
I didn't see it, but my brother said there is a guy with one hand who trains at his gym. He will get on a bench with a dumbell in one hand and put the stump of his other arm through the hole of a 45 lb plate and a 25 lb plate and do flys. Amazing.

sam the man
04-18-2009, 04:50 AM
people with disablity are one of the biggest source of motivation