PDA

View Full Version : 2011 WSM venue and dates

GUNNER
05-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Anyone know when and where... couldn't find it on WSM site

Ryan Bracewell
05-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Half the time at this point of the year even the people at TWI dont have that information yet.....if they do they keep a really tight lid on it because no information seems to come out until 2 months before the competition.

GUNNER
06-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Half the time at this point of the year even the people at TWI dont have that information yet.....if they do they keep a really tight lid on it because no information seems to come out until 2 months before the competition.

seems like if they let people know where and when, maybe it would make things easier... possibly fan attendance would be better :dunno:

robert da strongman
06-21-2011, 11:53 AM
MET-Rx World’s Strongest Man Set For North Carolina

by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2011 IronMind

As rumored, the 2011 MET-Rx World’s Strongest Man contest is set for North Carolina, USA.

Wingate University will be the site, as confirmed by a local newspaper article today.

More to follow.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/21/2394400/strong-man-competition-will-be.html

Bryan Hildebrand
06-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Looks like we will be there to cover it. just need a date.

Ryan Bracewell
06-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Depending on the dates I may try to make it out for the finals.

This could be very good for Jenkins. He deserves to go, but being that its set in the USA it sways things in his favor even more.

airagee23
06-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Kool will have to go. Had a blast when it was in Charleston WV.

Bryan Hildebrand
06-22-2011, 04:18 PM
trying to get a hold of there media person at the university. I think they have not released specific days yet, becasue remember, this is a multi multi day affair. it will take place when school is in session and I am sure they are working with local hotels, of which there arent a lot, to sort out availability. charlotte is 30 mins away, so I expect there will be a lot of commuting.

Mike Jenkins
06-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Dates were announced: September 10-13 for the qualifying rounds and 16-17 for the final.

antonbrn
06-24-2011, 10:23 AM
some RX coverage would be awesome

Ryan Bracewell
06-24-2011, 11:44 AM
I could be mistaken but I do not believe they allow video or camera coverage, but i dont see how they could stop you from doing a play-by-play.

Bryan Hildebrand
06-24-2011, 11:51 AM
these guys kill me. schedule the finals on the weekend of one of the biggest shows in this country? finals fall during the olympia weekend. both shows will suffer for it. If i were mike or dione, i would be livid and demand an explanation from WSM.

i am waiting to hear back from the media director as to what they will allow and not allow. my plan is to show up, take pics, do hotel interviews, do wrap up videos every day and post winners in a bracket type format. I dont think they can keep us from doing any of that. but we will find out.

Mike Jenkins
06-24-2011, 12:04 PM
these guys kill me. schedule the finals on the weekend of one of the biggest shows in this country? finals fall during the olympia weekend. both shows will suffer for it. If i were mike or dione, i would be livid and demand an explanation from WSM.

i am waiting to hear back from the media director as to what they will allow and not allow. my plan is to show up, take pics, do hotel interviews, do wrap up videos every day and post winners in a bracket type format. I dont think they can keep us from doing any of that. but we will find out.

Bryan,
You know what might be cool for viewers and the average person...maybe a behind the scenes type deal with some of the competitors, almost reality show-esque. I think Odd or Callie did something like that before. Ive said it before on message boards, I think getting some footage of these guys doing "normal" people things on their time off if you can would show a side people dont get to see.

Bryan Hildebrand
06-24-2011, 12:07 PM
that is certainly something i have a huge interest in doing. I have been trying to fund trips to do "a day in the life..." type videos. they would be interesting to watch and see the diversity of professions and habits of these guys....

Mike Jenkins
06-24-2011, 12:13 PM
that is certainly something i have a huge interest in doing. I have been trying to fund trips to do "a day in the life..." type videos. they would be interesting to watch and see the diversity of professions and habits of these guys....

WSM may be the perfect opportunity for that. There is the week in between the prelims and the finals, Im sure the mood is a little less tense then say during the show, right before or right after. Where else will you ever get 30 of the Worlds strongest men in the same hotel? Wealth of information, knowledge and antics!

Bryan Hildebrand
06-24-2011, 12:15 PM
just dont ride in an elevator with a group of them!

Mike Jenkins
06-24-2011, 12:17 PM
I dont like to ride in elevators with just me let alone 3000 pounds of human!

robert da strongman
06-24-2011, 01:00 PM

Need a cameraman?

Ryan Bracewell
06-24-2011, 01:55 PM

WSM could give 2 shits about this. Every year they set their dates around this time when every ASC and IFBB show has been planned and yet they still end up putting their show right on top of some of the bigger shows out there. Last year they had it right around Olympia too and the year before was the same weekend as ASM.

Bryan Hildebrand
06-24-2011, 02:53 PM
my point exactly. but this year, they are both in the US, making it even more difficult for fans and athletes.

robert da strongman
06-24-2011, 03:00 PM
my point exactly. but this year, they are both in the US, making it even more difficult for fans and athletes.

i don't think WSM will draw as many spectators as olympia weekend....consider where it is at. not exactly vegas, cali, or even WV.