PDA

View Full Version : What is a proper Keto cheat meal?

TUFF
03-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Can I just blow it out for one meal or should I limit it to a certain amount of carbs or what?

I cheated tonight and had 1lb of beef brisket, 2 baked potatoes,4 slices of garlic bread, 2 trips to salad bar. I wanted something sweet afterwards but stopped because I felt I might have gone too far already.

Also I cheated on meal 4 and have 2 meals to go for the day. I am stuffed. Do I Still need the other meals or since I ate so much can I skip the last two meals and start back full blast keto tomorrow.

gman
03-28-2009, 10:21 PM
I gained 5 lbs overnight from a meal like that, and a week later am still up 3. So I am not cheating like that again.

I ate tonight's cheat a lot better: baked potato, topped with homemade beef chili with black beans, shredded cheese, and one blob of sour cream. One Guiness stout, and for dessert a small granola bar.

If I were you I would skip the last 2

Frosty
03-29-2009, 12:23 AM
End of the day. It is the last meal of the day. Doing anything else is CHEATING. Play it by ear and see how you react. Usually the heavier you are the smaller the cheat tends to and should be. As you get leaner the cheats tend to get larger and I wouldn't worry about them and just have fun.

becks
03-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Everyone is different and will react accordingly, you just have to see what works for you.

Are you competing?

If you are just looking to lean out and get in shape try different things. Low fat/high carb, high fat/low carb, cheat meal, refeed day etc...

Listen to your body!

GirlyMuscle
03-29-2009, 10:02 AM
I asked Dave this question when I was working with him. He said...go out to dinner, get what you want, have the bread, enjoy a small dessert. That's it.

Sledge
03-29-2009, 10:58 AM
I gained 5 lbs overnight from a meal like that, and a week later am still up 3. So I am not cheating like that again.

I ate tonight's cheat a lot better: baked potato, topped with homemade beef chili with black beans, shredded cheese, and one blob of sour cream. One Guiness stout, and for dessert a small granola bar.

If I were you I would skip the last 2

Don't let the scale fool you. If you ate 5lb of food do you think your body just absorbed the whole lot and put on 5lb of fat. Of course not. the Influx of carbs makes you retain water and fill out more. I always take my progress pics after a cheat meal when doing keto for that reason, I get more vasular look harder and fill out.

The scales are not your friend only weigh yourself once a month (fortnight at most) 1st thing in the morning before eating, and at the same place in your diet plan.

gman
03-29-2009, 01:11 PM
I wanted to believe that Sledge, but I ended up 3lbs heavier a whole week later.

I weigh in every Saturday morning for Dave Palumbo so he can tell me what to change, then I eat my cheat meal that night!

He told me to eat smaller cheat meals, and not to overdo it.

My smaller cheat meal last night that I described above helped a lot, I was up zero lbs this morning from eating it. Thank God. Now I only have to lose 4 lbs to get back to my weight 2 weeks ago.

Myth
03-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Gman, you are letting the scale get to your head, bro. For example, I lost only 10lb total, but gained 11lb muscle and lost 21lb fat. The mirror and calipers are your best friend, NOT the scale!

gman
03-29-2009, 02:19 PM
If the scale is the enemy why does Dave P require a weekly weigh in?

Frosty
03-29-2009, 02:20 PM
I'd have to agree with Dave's advice to be moderate.

One other thing to keep in mind that can be detrimental is eating anything you might have a sensitivity or allergy to on your cheat. That can really make you retain water and delayed reactions can mean if you do that once a week your body is always reacting.

-BLP-
03-29-2009, 02:26 PM
cant touch simple carbs if i do i will eat non stop... on sunday i up my fat intake and last meal, complex carbs , 1 big yams , full up muscle real great , it enough for me , i hold water so easy.. last meal because if it first meal i will think about carb all day

Random Letters
03-30-2009, 12:52 PM
I eat what I want and try not to over do it. It keeps me sane.

Last cheat meal I had 4 slices of pizza, a beer, 2 glasses of milk a couple of girl guide cookies and a two scoop ice cream cone. It was better than sex.

tribal
03-30-2009, 05:52 PM
cant touch simple carbs if i do i will eat non stop... on sunday i up my fat intake and last meal, complex carbs , 1 big yams , full up muscle real great , it enough for me , i hold water so easy.. last meal because if it first meal i will think about carb all day
no offense, but you sound like a caveman

ChunkyThunder
03-30-2009, 06:20 PM
If the scale is the enemy why does Dave P require a weekly weigh in?

Because it is his only point of reference I would think, unless you see him in person.

gman
03-30-2009, 07:06 PM
yes, so I have to kind of be a little obsessed with the scale!

He's gonna bust my balls tomorrow when I report in and tell him I gained 3 lbs last week!

2 hours of cardio a day is coming very soon! Bring it on!

Myth
03-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Dave never had me report my weight, so I have no idea why he would change his online consultation protocol...??

gman
03-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Were you cutting or bulking?

Also when I gave him my goals, it included getting down to 190 or so, so maybe he is going by what I asked for!

Angela123
03-30-2009, 10:15 PM
no offense, but you sound like a caveman

i believe english is his second language...which is why it may not be perfect.

Angela123
03-30-2009, 10:27 PM
gman...gman...gman....my dear! idk what to say to get it through your head...stop the crazy worrying about the damn scale. dave is a man of science and a professional...when you report that you are 3 lbs heavier, even though you followed your diet and did your cardio all wk, dave cant posibly think that you gained 3lbs of fat. it is NOT possible. think logically!!! you are on his diet, you do the cardio, you lift the weights...no way can you be putting fat on unless you are hardcore cheating...which you are not. plus, many people put on weight after cheats. so, you weigh 5 lbs the next day after you go out to dinner...again...not possible to put on 5 lbs of fat over night. its water!! you know that! stop stressing. you are making me stress just reading about it lol. i see these posts by you every day...week after week. please...no need to worry.

this is just my opinoin...maybe you shouldnt worry about getting down to a certain number. do i remember correctly, that you have gotten down to 190 before? well...you have been lifting now and you are eating more protein...you are adding muscle, which you werent doing before in your other diets. Your 190 now could be too low for you. it is very possible that you could look just as good, if not better, at 195 than you did at 190 years ago.

Myth
03-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Were you cutting or bulking?

Also when I gave him my goals, it included getting down to 190 or so, so maybe he is going by what I asked for!

Cutting, and I was shooting for a bf%, not a weight, so that explains it:)

tribal
03-31-2009, 01:10 AM
o h

zander
03-31-2009, 06:19 AM
will a diet coke knock you out of keto ?

Sledge
03-31-2009, 06:44 AM

Me too, i'd say thats why dave says it should be the last meal of the day. I have some icecream and then an hour or so later hit the sack then back on plan in the morning, If I have the cheat meal for lunch then their isn't a donut shop or icecrem parlour thats safe the rest of the day.

Sledge
03-31-2009, 06:46 AM

haha english is my first language and I sound like a cave man too. Must be the test.

Sledge
03-31-2009, 06:47 AM
will a diet coke knock you out of keto ?

No.

Angela123
03-31-2009, 11:07 AM
haha english is my first language and I sound like a cave man too. Must be the test.

yes to the test...but you are a 'drag your woman by the hair and beat you chest hear me roar' caveman...so of course you sound like one.

militantmuscle
03-31-2009, 11:17 AM
Can I just blow it out for one meal or should I limit it to a certain amount of carbs or what?

I cheated tonight and had 1lb of beef brisket, 2 baked potatoes,4 slices of garlic bread, 2 trips to salad bar. I wanted something sweet afterwards but stopped because I felt I might have gone too far already.

Also I cheated on meal 4 and have 2 meals to go for the day. I am stuffed. Do I Still need the other meals or since I ate so much can I skip the last two meals and start back full blast keto tomorrow.

Don't blow it out, you don't want to fill your gut to the point where it will distend.

Eat whatever you want (you will probably crave simple carbs) but don't just blow it out.