PDA

View Full Version : Need some help from strongman!!!

Deltasaurus
05-13-2011, 01:36 AM
So im a competitive college wrestler and wanted a bit of help.

I would like to maintain my strength as much as possible while getting in super good condition, my strength coaches are leaning towards some more cross fit style stuff and commented on strongman being in great condition and i used that to say hey! the still do the big 3 separate from their strongman conditioning training.

so i was wondering what i should do?goal - Maintain/gain strength + better my cardio/muscular endurance. Im asking you guys because imo you guys are the best at it.

all advice is welcome and thank you all in advance. as of now here was my plan.
sat-eat big and train all my heavy lifts no more than 5 sets low reps 3-6

tues-Muscular endurance

thurs-Muscular endurance

wrestling several days a week wed and sun completely off from any training

robert da strongman
05-13-2011, 10:12 AM
for strength make sure you lift as heavy as possible, but try to be explosive/fast. do some oly lifts if you aren't. for the endurance try high reps with moderate weight, supersets and drop sets....yes sounds a bit like bb'ing but it works for me. give kettlebells a shot too.

also i recommend "building the ultimate mma athlete" it is by the diesel crew

Bryan Hildebrand
05-13-2011, 11:40 AM
exactly. do some reading over at dieselcrew. they are doing lots of what you are looking for.

Deltasaurus
05-13-2011, 02:09 PM
thanks! u guys think one day a week of heavy lifting resting and eating that day will be enough to maintain?
im thinking so!

TLG
05-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Everyone else pretty much nailed what you need to do.

but as far as what strongman events, I think tire, yoke, and stones would probably be the best to suit your needs, and each can be done explosive, for strength, or together for conditioning.

Mike Jenkins
05-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Check out Zac Even-Esh, he has a gym and training certification called Underground Strength. Elliott Hulse too, he runs Strength Camp in Florida, does alot of stuff that would help you! They both have youtube pages with great tutorials.