PDA

View Full Version : Need help , want to start powerlifting

grandmaster87
03-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Hey Guys

Well i've been gyming for a year now and im 17 and i want to start powerlifting..

Can anyone help me with routines , supplements and gear i need etc

i weigh 63kg and what weights i should be aiming for...

Regards,
DHiven

rinse
03-29-2009, 09:58 AM
You should be aiming for PR's. That all you should think about. Atleast for now. Find powerlifters in your area to teach you correct form etc.

grandmaster87
03-29-2009, 10:18 AM
so how should i train ... im from south africa not much powerlifters in my region

do i just do bench squat and deadlifts or can i use other exercises etc

JasonA
03-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Go to www.elitefts.com (http://www.elitefts.com) and get Wendlers 5-3-1 manual and follow it. Not a better powerlifting routine out there.

grandmaster87
03-31-2009, 11:53 AM
how important are the military presses or overhead presses in powerlifting

rinse
04-02-2009, 03:04 AM
Not so much but you could do them especially since you are a beginner. It's good to build a basic foundation of strength and musclemass in the beginning.

Are you planning to compete raw or equipped at your first couple meets?

Where are your sticking points in the powerlifts?

grandmaster87
04-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Not so much but you could do them especially since you are a beginner. It's good to build a basic foundation of strength and musclemass in the beginning.

Are you planning to compete raw or equipped at your first couple meets?

Where are your sticking points in the powerlifts?

I am aiming for raw... and what do you mean sticking points?

rinse
04-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Where do you fail in the Squat, bench and deadlift?

I think it would do you a lot of good to read around the internet about general information since it seems you barely got a basic concept about the sport.

fitzy
04-04-2009, 11:49 PM
u dont need gear if u just started fool

tjoe
04-05-2009, 08:29 AM
u dont need gear if u just started foolNo need for name calling, especially since he didn't ask about gear in the first place. This person started this thread looking for some advice, offer some that may be helpful in some way.

He needs to research some more (as he seems pretty new to the game) however he did find this site/forum/section which happens to have some experienced guys that can help answer some questions for him.

tjoe
04-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Hey Guys

Well i've been gyming for a year now and im 17 and i want to start powerlifting..

Can anyone help me with routines , supplements and gear i need etc

i weigh 63kg and what weights i should be aiming for...

Regards,
DHivenHave you done some more research yet?
What does your current routine look like now?
No need for supps yet. Just get in your food and maybe a good whey pro powder.
gear - none at the moment. I wouldn't even use a belt yet. as you are pretty new and young, I don't think the reps should be much lower than 8. Since I wouldn't use a belt until I hit heavy triples... you don't need one yet. No gloves, no straps. IF you meant gear as in AAS, forget about it!

Post up some more detailed info so we can help you out.

rinse
04-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I think most of your main exercises at this point should be in the 5-8 reps zone. But learning good form for the powerlifts is the most important thing. You could even have a special day for this. Much like a speed day but instead focusing just on form. I would recommend low reps(2-5) and high sets(5-10) for this.

Do one exercise per bodypart apart from the main exercise(s) of the day. Spread out you training over 3-4 days. Eat a high calorie diet with lots of good food but don't be afraid of a little junk a couple times a week.

Example of a benchpress day:

1: Bench work up to 3 sets of 5 reps
2: Dumbell press 3 sets of 10- 15 reps
3: Tricep dumbell extensions 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps
4: Lat exercise 4 sets of 8-10 reps
5: Upperback exercise 4 sets of 10- 15 reps

Next week switch it up and skip the dumbell presses and instead do like a burn off set in the bench for 10- 15 reps after your normal sets.

If the gear question was about AAS when forget about it like tjoe said. Maybe and that's a pretty big maybe think about it 5 years or so from now.

tjoe
04-05-2009, 03:46 PM
I think most of your main exercises at this point should be in the 5-8 reps zone. But learning good form for the powerlifts is the most important thing. You could even have a special day for this. Much like a speed day but instead focusing just on form. I would recommend low reps(2-5) and high sets(5-10) for this.

Do one exercise per bodypart apart from the main exercise(s) of the day. Spread out you training over 3-4 days. Eat a high calorie diet with lots of good food but don't be afraid of a little junk a couple times a week.

Example of a benchpress day:

1: Bench work up to 3 sets of 5 reps
2: Dumbell press 3 sets of 10- 15 reps
3: Tricep dumbell extensions 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps
4: Lat exercise 4 sets of 8-10 reps
5: Upperback exercise 4 sets of 10- 15 reps

Next week switch it up and skip the dumbell presses and instead do like a burn off set in the bench for 10- 15 reps after your normal sets.

If the gear question was about AAS when forget about it like tjoe said. Maybe and that's a pretty big maybe think about it 5 years or so from now.
good advice...
regarding the bold, what % would you recommend for him. I don't think he should be pushing limits if he is trying to work on form.

rinse
04-07-2009, 10:11 AM
I would recommend 50-70%. 70% on the deadlift if he chooses to use singles. 50-60% in the squat and bench but since he probably doesn't have the ability to push as hard and fast as and advanced lifter has(speed work with maximal bar speed) he could do it with a little more once in a while.

I would work the squat and the deadlift on the same day. Basically I would recommend a basic Westside template as far as having a heavy day and then a form(instead of speed/form) day.

Assistance would be simple on both those days and much like what Louie recommends but with modifications since grandmaster87 lifts raw. I think it's better for him to focus on sets of 5 at this point because that will give him much needed musclemass along with strength. So no need to switch exercises every week. Stick to the bench in the beginning and then maybe later start switching up.