PDA

View Full Version : Possible new organization? AMATEUR'S WSM

TLG
05-20-2011, 01:07 PM
http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2011/May/Amateur_Worldxs_Strongest_Man_Deal_Announced.html

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2011/May/Amateur_Worldxs_Strongest_Man-The_Contest_Question.html

At this point it seems like this is an announcement to begin the speculation. lol.

I read this yesterday before I saw it anywhere else, and my first impression was it was a good thing. I honestly see it as a way for World's Strongest Man to increase its "brand". Because that is what it truly is, a brand. By having gyms open up with the logo and name, Worlds Strongest Man. I see this as a good thing because I think it could increase the overall exposure to the sport and possibly help build the brand itself.

I know some people think it is an attack on NAS/ASC or whatever other organizations, but I just don't see it as that. No offense to NAS/ASC as I respect them as an organization, but they have nothing to do with World's Strongest Man. They have no tie in, and honestly are a separate brand. I think a lot of guys just want to compete and have a good time, and then a smaller percentage of them want to actually go to the big dance. That is all good and fine, lets respect each other and let each do whatever it is they want.

I posted this on here, because other boards are really hard to even go to, the ego is so thick you can barely even see. There is a ton of speculation about the gyms just being crossfit and crossfit trying to take over strongman, and how strongman will suck because it won't be "strong" anymore and plenty of that BS. I also got a sense that the ASC guys were quick to hate or discredit the organization.

I was really kind of shocked that so many guys didn't like the idea of WSM possibly expanding and possibly bringing money into the sport. Time and time again, myself included, have brought up the issue of money in strongman. Yet, when something is being put into effect, everyone seems ready to complain about it.

I mean talk about powerlifting being a fractured culture..... I have heard many powerlifters talk about how they still respect most other powerlifters, and how they need to start respecting each other even more. Yet, in strongman, a possible exapnsion comes along to possibly bring in more strongman competitors, and it is met with hostility.

Now the links are unclear to as exactly what is going to happen or what exactly all this really means, so that is why I ask how does everyone else feel?

Do you feel that WSM expanding its image and possible including that final backyard link into WSM is a good idea? Or do you think it should stay the way it is and have it be where you have no idea how someone gets invited to Giants Live to qualify for WSM?

*** Now my last thread here got off on the bad foot. I ask you, please, if you don't have something constructive to say, just don't say it. I would really like to hear what people think about this without people bashing me, or the nas/asc, or wsm, or whatever.

robert da strongman
05-20-2011, 01:29 PM
after reading the articles i am stumped....these are gyms that will be licensed to use WSM and teach crossfit. nothing really about a new amateur organization...this goes back to what Mike and Dione talked about, IMG wants a piece of the american pie... a strong and well run amateur/pro system.
sad part is strongman is not a corporate thing, it is a bunch of guys getting together and lifting heavy stuff in someones backyard or garage. i can see it now...."welcome to planet fitness...would you like to lift an atlas stone? they are 25lbs..."

TLG
05-20-2011, 02:57 PM
I don't know if it will get like that, more like a high school gym training football, baseball, and basketball players.

but the implications were that a possible contest schedule would be made...

Ryan Bracewell
05-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Without more information there is no way to tell whether this will be a good or bad thing for the sport of strongman in the US. No doubt it will bring more exposure to strongman type exercises but that does not mean it will help the sport that we all love. Time will tell....

Mike Jenkins
05-25-2011, 10:44 AM
From what I have heard from a very reliable source IF this goes as planned it will present numerous opportunities in the realm of Strongman. It will be nothing like cross fit, simply modeled after it.

TLG
05-25-2011, 11:43 AM
From what I have heard from a very reliable source IF this goes as planned it will present numerous opportunities in the realm of Strongman. It will be nothing like cross fit, simply modeled after it.

I think that is a good road for strongman to go, or at least try.

I would love to see some contests with WSM style equipment, ever since I was just a little kid, I have wanted to do the deadlift or squat with the barrel apparatus.

robert da strongman
06-30-2011, 11:05 PM
the official site for it....

http://www.thewsmaffiliateprogram.com/#home

Bryan Hildebrand
07-01-2011, 12:32 AM
interesting to see how this develops.

robert da strongman
07-01-2011, 11:38 AM
hopefully there is a cash cow coming for the competitors

TLG
07-01-2011, 12:23 PM
hopefully there is a cash cow coming for the competitors

that would be nice.

One thing I would like to see, if this organization starts.... Is that the contests are similiar to WSM format. Not necessarily like 5 days long, since it will be amateurs. But maybe two days, 5-6 events, and events that are going to be in WSM, like arm over arm seated pulls, or keg tosses, fridge carry, etc.

Bryan Hildebrand
07-01-2011, 01:31 PM
I certainly can see this working for exposure, which means sponsors, which means more money. and I couldnt agree with ryan more.

robert da strongman
07-01-2011, 02:11 PM
that would be nice.

One thing I would like to see, if this organization starts.... Is that the contests are similiar to WSM format. Not necessarily like 5 days long, since it will be amateurs. But maybe two days, 5-6 events, and events that are going to be in WSM, like arm over arm seated pulls, or keg tosses, fridge carry, etc.

from just reading the info on the site it seems they will have standard events. the promoters/ affiliates will have to follow a set of rules and standards.

robert da strongman
07-19-2011, 02:52 PM
from ironmind...

MG Press Release: World’s Strongest Man Affiliate Program

by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2011 IronMind

An IMG press release today announced the World Strongest Man Affiliate program and the Amateur World’s Strongest Man series encompassing gyms, training systems, amateur competitions.

Following is the press release, verbatim from IMG:

THE WORLD’S STRONGEST MAN DEVELOPS NEW TRAINING PROGRAM
Jul 18, 2011 - Source: IMG

Will Offer Affiliate Licenses Beginning Later This Year

Will Offer Affiliate Licenses Beginning Later This Year

The World's Strongest Man™ (WSM) and The World's Strongest Man Affiliate Team are proud to announce the creation of The World's Strongest Man Affiliate Program, Training System and Amateur Series launching this Fall.
Created in 1977, The World's Strongest Man™, owned and operated by IMG Worldwide, the global sports, fashion and media company, has become the premier event in strength athletics. For nearly 35 years, the strongest men on the planet have come together for the annual The World's Strongest Man™ televised event, to compete in a series of unique and amazing tests of strength, to crown The World's Strongest Man™.

The World’s Strongest Man Affiliate Program will be available to gyms throughout the U.S. by providing an officially endorsed World’s Strongest Man training program. The training program is designed to develop core strength and endurance with techniques based around the WSM event such as the iconic Atlas Stones and Tyre Flips as inspiration. A limit of 30 Affiliate Licenses will be sold in August and September 2011 with the next batch reserved until 2012.

Professional Strongmen Nick Best, Jason Bergmann, and Dave Ostlund have been announced as the Official Certification Instructors of the two-day course on Strongman Movements, Powerlifting, and Programming. This will yield one of the most prestigious Strongman Certifications this world has ever seen. With an Affiliate License and a Strongman Certification, qualified individuals will have tools to develop The World's Strongest Man Affiliated Training Centers.

The date of the first certification, registration for the first certification, and the sale of the first affiliate licenses will begin on July 23, 2011.

Matthew Primack, Vice President at IMG Licensing said, “The World’s Strongest Man brand is an iconic family favorite for strength entertainment enthusiasts of all ages. It has been a stalwart broadcast holiday event every year since 1977, so it is with pride that we can announce this affiliate license partnership with 5M Investments that will allow WSM fans of all genders, ages and size to experience certified strongman training. It is an opportunity for participants to benefit from a premier fitness and strength routine refined by professional athletes and made accessible to novices, amateurs and regular athletes, to help improve their physical strength and well being.”

Michael King, CEO of 5M Investments said, “It’s a great honor to have the opportunity to provide The World's Strongest Man training to the general public. Strongman training will no longer be limited to back yard gyms, and all those who have a passion for this truly incredible sport, will finally be able to train in the proper environment with certified instructors who will introduce proper technique and precise programming to daily training. This unique opportunity will allow athletes of all ages and levels to absorb knowledge from some of the strongest men in the world. We are excited to launch this program and introduce this incredible fitness culture of Strongman Training to each and everyone who wants to learn.”

For more information on The World’s Strongest Man Affiliate Program, The World’s Strongest Man Amateur Series, and The World’s Strongest Man Certification please visit: http://www.TheWSMAffiliateProgram.com

crashcrew56
07-19-2011, 08:21 PM
I don't really understand this at all. From what I've read I don't think it's going to be good for the sport of strongman. In the press release the said that they're going to have events from WSM, such as atlas stones and tires, my gym has atlas stones, tires, kegs, logs, and just about every other strongman implement, why does it have to be certified? I don't think having certified WSM gyms will really bring many more competitors into the sport. Like I said, the gym I train at has tons of SM equipment, but the team is still hurting for people. This sounds like IMG is trying to make some more money.

I guess it begins... I just hope the sport doesn't fracture like powerlifting did.

robert da strongman
07-20-2011, 02:10 PM
it is a way for IMG to get the money on the amateur circuit. instead of going with the established organization like NAS they want it all to themselves.

crashcrew56
07-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Clearly, and of course the WSM certified gyms can only buy offical certiefied wsm kegs, tires, stones, etc... this all sounds like a load of crap to me, if I was a strongman competitor I would try to do my best to stay away from this