PDA

View Full Version : I've been thinking of starting creatine... but

DUKE56
05-20-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm 55 years old, being treated by medication for high blood pressure, and high cholostrol (spelling). My biggest concern is I'm epileptic, but I still want to be as good as I can get. I have thought of starting creatine, even asked my dr about it and after reading the side affects, told me he didn't think it was a good idea. But we all know not everyone gets those side affects. Has anyone had a bad experience with the stuff.

KevinCouch
05-20-2011, 03:33 PM
I used to take creatine but my creatinine (kidney enzyme) levels kept creeping up into the dangerous range. As soon as I got off the creatine they dropped not all the way to the normal range but acceptable. The more muscle you carry the more your kidneys are going to work anyway. I would just get regular blood work done if you decide to do it IMO. Others will have no problems with creatine like I had so it's an individual thing.

JoeB8962
05-20-2011, 03:42 PM
I used to take creatine but my creatinine (kidney enzyme) levels kept creeping up into the dangerous range. As soon as I got off the creatine they dropped not all the way to the normal range but acceptable. The more muscle you carry the more your kidneys are going to work anyway. I would just get regular blood work done if you decide to do it IMO. Others will have no problems with creatine like I had so it's an individual thing.

I've had the same issues with it in the past as Kevin but I used it pre and post workout for this last prep and at the lighter bodyweight, not that it had any thing to do with it IMO I've had no problems. I plan to use it again as I prep for this next show.

Baldiewonkanobi
05-20-2011, 03:45 PM
One average day I eat one pound of steak, 2 cans tuna, a salmon patty and two turkey pattys every day. Oh, and a whey mix with 5gms of Creatine. I figure I get about 30 gms. Creatine per day.

Should be enough...ya think?

http://www.myfit.ca/foods_high_in_creatine.asp

Baldie

Hammerfit
05-20-2011, 04:01 PM
As Kevin said I would suggest that you have your blood work done at least every 6 months and see where those levels are.

I used it years ago and never noticed any differences so I dropped it. But about about 2 months ago I added it back in. 10mgs before and after training. My logic was I was really restricting my calories and I didn't want to loose any more muscle than possible. I think it helped me stay full while depleting.

That being said I think it has it's place as long as its not abused, just like any other supplement. However if there's not a logical reason for adding it in I would discourage it and tell you to make sure your nutrition plan is solid and that you are getting the correct macros for your particular situation. I think we get caught up in adding unnecessary supplements when a well balanced nutrition plan will give just about everything you need.

Im not sure I answered your question but that is my 2 cents.

Mac
05-20-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm 55 years old, being treated by medication for high blood pressure, and high cholostrol (spelling). My biggest concern is I'm epileptic, but I still want to be as good as I can get. I have thought of starting creatine, even asked my dr about it and after reading the side affects, told me he didn't think it was a good idea. But we all know not everyone gets those side affects. Has anyone had a bad experience with the stuff.

I had a doctor tell me to not take celery seed extract to lower my BP and instead use a prescription drug.

I opted for the 8.95 / month bottle of extract.

I never had issues with creatine, except it causes me to hold more water and gain strength when using it.

freebirdmac
05-20-2011, 07:37 PM
I've not had any issues with creatine. I take a CEE version at 1/2 dose. I get blood work done once a year. Last year it was taken 2 months into a bulk rather than at the end of a summer cut. Creatinine levels didn't change, but my ALT and AST numbers were slightly elevated. I figure that was from hitting the weights even harder during the bulk.

KyMuscle
05-21-2011, 10:25 AM
The celery seed extract worked wonders for lowering my bp too. Thanks Mac!

Regarding creatine, I never got anything from standard creatine mono. On a whim, I tried Species crealyze. Stuff definitely works, although I haven't checked my bloodwork to evaluate for negatives.

I had a client who was also a creatine non-responder try Crealyze and it works for him too.

nwtrnr1
05-21-2011, 02:14 PM
High blood pressure, is major cause of kidney failure. I had extremely high blood pressure as a teen, (the never could control it even with drugs very well). If you have issues with blood pressure that can already affect the function of your kidneys follow your Dr.'s advice and don't take anything that can make their function worse. How proteins work on the kidneys in simple terms are that they take calcium from the body to process the protein, this why people develop stones that are sensitive to high protein diets or they may develope urea stones due to PH levels. I take apple cider in my diet when taking proteins to balance my PH because protein also makes your body much more acidic. Creatine is a amino metabolite that also binds to water thus increasing potential water gain putting more pressure on the circulatory system. If you drink plenty of water, (a natural diaretic) and keep your blood pressure down and take only the recommended dossage while having your levels checked for any abnormal levels you could try to take creatine it does help with endurance but so do aminos which are not bad on your kidneys because they won't raise your creatanine levels like creatine does. Always cycle supplements and do a clense periodically (like a vegetarian diet for a week lower protein). this has helped me tremendously. I agree about the celery extract, I also use cinnamon on oatmeal everyday too, dark chocolate bars on extra stressfull days can bring blood pressure down also, they must be natural however and a high cocoa content. Good luck.

Mac
05-21-2011, 05:52 PM
The celery seed extract worked wonders for lowering my bp too. Thanks Mac!

Glad to hear that! You're welcome. I have still to find someone who hasn't responded positively to it and most have eliminated their need for Rx BP meds.

DUKE56
05-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all the information. I think for now I will hold off on the creatine. I appreciate the help.

mrky03
05-23-2011, 05:46 PM
I've used creatine for over 12 years rarely going off of it. No problems, in fact I wasn't aware it had negitive side effects. Definitely in my top 10 supps!

DUKE56
05-24-2011, 01:15 PM
I've used creatine for over 12 years rarely going off of it. No problems, in fact I wasn't aware it had negitive side effects. Definitely in my top 10 supps!

Well, what the dr. said it's side effects are dirreah, heart attack, stroke, etc. I'm in no hurry for any of those, especially a stroke or heart attack.
Right now my plan is to stay with protein diet. Right now I'm drinking whey.

freebirdmac
05-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Well, what the dr. said it's side effects are dirreah, heart attack, stroke, etc. I'm in no hurry for any of those, especially a stroke or heart attack.

I'd like to know where your doctor got his information. Creatine has to be the most tested supplement out there. It's even used in the elderly, non-lifting types for other purposes.

masterschamp
05-24-2011, 01:39 PM
I eat plenty of red meat....always felt like I would be wasting my money. Not saying it doesn't work...I'd rather eat beef than drink chalk! :)

Keith

IzlamikPork
05-24-2011, 04:03 PM

Ah, that's crap. The ONLY side you might get from creatine is water retention.

I've used creatine for more than a decade with no ill effects.

I quit using creatine last summer, however, when I decided I wanted to get seriously shredded. It was making me hold about 10 lbs of water. But I went back on this winter when I didn't care about water retention.

HeavyDutyGuy
05-24-2011, 04:06 PM
One of three legal supplements that I have everr got anything out of- the others being thermogenics and high potency mulitvits- andn thats when my diet has not been optimum. Otherwise just the two. A must have really. Hard to find it out here. Finaly found a GNC not real far away, but didnt go in- they are always overpriced. Will have to check bodybuilding.com or discount nutrition. Blood presssure not a problem, for my pre employment physical a couple months ago (after not taking ANY kind of supplement for months) was 110/65.

mrky03
05-24-2011, 05:01 PM
I'd like to know where your doctor got his information. Creatine has to be the most tested supplement out there. It's even used in the elderly, non-lifting types for other purposes.

Exactly! My father who is 78 years old uses it and loves the stuff. Says it gives him energy. Its cheap effective and I use it right up to a show including the day of.

Its not hard to do your own research on it, tons of peer reviewed university testing been done.

DUKE56
05-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Well maybe I should check into it and see what's out there to look at trying. I'm not doubting any of you and I appreciate all of the information. It's good to have knowledgable guys like yourselves with life experience to help people like myself to succeed in trying to be the best I can be.