PDA

View Full Version : Strength during contest prep.

mdvsony
03-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Hi Guys,

Just asking, what experiences do you have with your strength levels as you diet for your comp.

Do you consider it a psychological aspect or physiological aspect when it comes the amount of weight you can lift during prep.

My personal experience was that my strength went down in the in the early stages, but as it got closer to the comp it started to improve and I was actually able to pull a few PB's on certain excercises.

Luka Treska
03-29-2009, 09:48 PM
I have somewhat the same experience. For the first week or two of the prep I find that it's harder to lift the weights that I normally did prior to the prep. But it's not as if I'm forced to lift lighter, it's just that it's much more of a challange to lift the same weight.

My reasoning for this is that A) you have dropped your calories significantly B) with added cardio your body may be confused on caloric and glycogen expenditure and C) psychological barriers. If you think you're weaker, you will be more prone to dragging your ass in the gym. Plus the first few weeks of the prep you generally feel tired because your body is changing the way it functions in a sense.

Personally, I've done some of my most impressive lifts 3-2 weeks out from a show and I think most people can.

Legend
03-30-2009, 01:51 PM
When I'm dieting, my stength remains virtually the same when compared to off-season.

Scoobysnacks
03-30-2009, 03:36 PM
When I'm dieting, my stength remains virtually the same when compared to off-season.

Mine too, if not up. I diet a slow gradual process though, cals stay steady for the most part and I just increase my activity to get lean with slight diet modifications.

I may lose a bit the final 3 weeks when really lean and cardio gets up to 1.5 hrs or better per day of LISS.

becks
03-30-2009, 04:06 PM
2-3 weeks in I keep the weight the same but it feels much heavier. Usually about 4-8 weeks in I get stronger with more energy, then the last 2-3 weeks I am shattered!

wnybodybuildingfan
03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Im in the 6th week now and the first five I had the same strength level. Now all of a sudden I am having a decrease in strength. Hope mine swings back up.